PDA

View Full Version : Space Marine Chapters

cleansingfury
24-10-2008, 05:21
This is soemthing I have wanted to do for so long now and finally have some income with which to part. I am in the process of building an entire space marine chapter. Has anyone else done this or in the process of doing this crazy task? As of today I own everything required for my second company minus some transports... my next company will probably be part of 1st company or start on my entire drop pod company.

So any one else crazy?

Thoth62
24-10-2008, 05:32
Not as crazy as you...

I'm just planning on putting together a battle company plus some extra veteran and reserve support squads and vehicles. Nothing special.

Edit: Forgot to say that I'm about halfway there now.

Psycoticspacemarine
24-10-2008, 06:32
I too am building an entire chapter. It is a slow process for me as I have very little money to spend on this project. My plan for the chapter includes approximatly 1300 models. I hope to finish within 6yrs.

Thud
24-10-2008, 16:04
There was a crazy Polish geezer featured in a WD a while back who'd put together the entire Blood Angels chapter.

CULCHAIN
24-10-2008, 16:06
I saw a guy with the entire DA chapter

Hellgore
24-10-2008, 16:08
I have reached the 15000-points-mark now and no end in sight. I can field an apocalypse battle company plus half the first company and another half of a battle company so far. As GW keeps putting out new marines I will someday probably reach the size of a full blown chapter.... I am not insane, just an addict...:chrome:

rintinglen
24-10-2008, 20:07
I have 110 scouts painted up right now, plus about 35 terminators, 300 odd power armor marines, 7 land speeders 5 or six dreadnoughts, three land raiders, 5 predators, 7 rhino/razor backs (I bought the sprues to make then convertible) three whirlwinds, three vindicators. Just in WYSIWYG, I have over 13000 points.
Waiting for me to get around to them are 3 drop pods, a thunderfire cannon, and a scout bike squad. Now if my tactical skills matched the size of my army, I'd be someone to fear.

cleansingfury
25-10-2008, 20:21
I have 110 scouts painted up right now, plus about 35 terminators, 300 odd power armor marines, 7 land speeders 5 or six dreadnoughts, three land raiders, 5 predators, 7 rhino/razor backs (I bought the sprues to make then convertible) three whirlwinds, three vindicators. Just in WYSIWYG, I have over 13000 points.
Waiting for me to get around to them are 3 drop pods, a thunderfire cannon, and a scout bike squad. Now if my tactical skills matched the size of my army, I'd be someone to fear.

Wow... that is alot!

Currently I am assembling my 2nd company at a slow rate as I no longer have a job... gonna hopefully get all my transports soon though... I hate money...

Lord Malorne
25-10-2008, 20:25
I have a BT fighting company up and running (;)) check my sig for a pic on page 2...I'll never have the entire BT chapter though...way to big!

FashaTheDog
25-10-2008, 20:43
I never intended on collecting more than half a Chapter's worth but now I have over 150 Marines (at last count but has grown since) and their vehicles needing to be repainted as Red Scorpions (I have yet to buy any Black Reach sets yet for this reason) plus my company and a half of Dark Angels and their vehicles plus my 50-someodd Space Wolves and their vehicles. I also have some pre-Heresy Night Lords too. All told from seperate Chapters I can field at least three and a half companies, possibly up to four full companies or even more if my Night Lords are used. Add to that the Marines not yet assembled and I'll be able to add another 70 or so Marines and various vehicles to all three Chapters and the Legion (who will also be getting a Fellblade one day).

Leftenant Gashrog
25-10-2008, 21:28
I have sometimes batted around the idea of making a "complete*" chapter in EPIC scale, where I might actually get to use it, but I doubt I'll ever go above 200 marines of a single chapter in 40k scale.

* Chapters are rarely at full strength, so I wouldn't go above 800 marines, with the shortage coming out of companies 6-10

that-theo
25-10-2008, 21:43
I can't compete with some of the people on this thread but I'll add my bit anyway.

Right now I have one complete reserve tactical company (other that a few models that I'm re-doing). I have roughly another 90ish marines painted from other companies. In total I pretty much have four-hundred marines (I think, it's been some time since I did a count) which will create a 1st, 2nd, 6th and 10th companies (and a bit of the 3rd as my scout company isn't 100 strong).

At present, like you, I'm working away at the second company.

zakk_wylde001
25-10-2008, 23:04
I'm currently trying to build a smallish Chapter, not going the whole hog with the reserve companies though I shouldn't think. In little over a month I've got almost the entire second company with some extras. Building an entire Chapter however does seem a rather huge task and one my patience with painting would never allow!

gunbunny242
25-10-2008, 23:12
I have 60 odd 1rst company, entire 4rth company, half the of 3rd, all of the 6th and some scouts. Do need more vehicles and transports though, mind you I run another 2 seperate chapters, a great company of Space Wolves and a mixed bag of pre-heresy Dark Angels (all my old RT models)
My friend is ahead of me and has the 1rst, 2nd, 3rd, 10th half the 4rth, 6th(50 bikes!) and 8th companies plus bits for the others and most of the transports inc. 9 land raiders. Mind you he hasn't played a game since 3rd ed, he just keeps buying sfuff...

Grendrill
26-10-2008, 00:04
I'm keen for doing an entire chapter, it would be a hell of an effort. I've only got a very small army at the moment but my intentions are also to make an entire chapter.

20 Tact marines down for the 2nd Company.... 80 to go.... *sigh*

Grotsnik
26-10-2008, 00:57
Complete UM 3rd Company (minus 3 rhinos) ;)
And the rhinos will be painted up soon. :D

HsojVvad
26-10-2008, 01:10
I was thinking of doing something like this but not for a while, since I don't have the funds for it.

Can you please tell me what that would consist of? I was thinking of doing DA.

So would the 1st company be all Termies. How many would that be? If it wasn't DA how many models or what models would that consist of?

What would 2nd to 10 consist of as well? I think 10 is scouts but how many? All help would be greatly appreciated.

I hope I am not hijacking your post, since I don't want to start something similar to you post.

Psycoticspacemarine
26-10-2008, 03:59
I was thinking of doing something like this but not for a while, since I don't have the funds for it.

So would the 1st company be all Termies. How many would that be? If it wasn't DA how many models or what models would that consist of?

What would 2nd to 10 consist of as well? I think 10 is scouts but how many? All help would be greatly appreciated.

I hope I am not hijacking your post, since I don't want to start something similar to you post.

1st is the Veteran Company

2nd-5th are Battle Companies (see the Battle Company Box set for composition)

6th & 7th are Tactical reserve companies

8th is Assault reserve company (bikes and landspeeders come from this one)

9th is Devestator reserve company

10th is the Scout company

all companies except 10th contain 100 marines. (106 if you include command section.) Transports are up to you, but if the BC box set is any indication there should be enough for every squad in every company except 1st & 10th

Warforger
26-10-2008, 04:53
8th is Assault reserve company (bikes and landspeeders come from this one)

according to new fluff this is incorrect, tactical marines are now the bikers, since tactical marines are also trained how to use them.

cleansingfury
26-10-2008, 07:17

My best suggestion is find the old space marine codex (last edition) and go to page 68. That has everything you need for a basic chapter. Obviously the chapter idea is best worked for apocalypse so I would get both apoc books as they have companies in there too. Part of my 2nd company uses drop pods and in apoc would change from 3 tac squads in drop pods to 2 tacs and an assault squad in the pods. So these nice little formations can help guide you on your path.

For those who do not want a lot of totaling out of points to see about how much a company from 2nd-5th company costs, it is 4208 points. That covers every slot in my force org like this:
captain w/ command squad
chaplain
6 tac squads (go figure)
2 assault squads
devastator squad
land raider crusader
predator
3 land speeders (in a squadron)
2 dreadnoughts
1 siege dreadnought
3 drop pods
2 rhinos
4 razor backs

So a load of models... all my armor is counted as it is attached from my armory... do not say differently as it is the way my chapter operates... I should write the fluff for all of this... also I realize there is not 100 marines exactly but rather 97 or so. This is because I did not want one extra squad as I would have to drop either my speeders or my predator to fit more in. I cannot take any elite options because those are mainly first company and may make their ways into other companies but not this one...

I need a fragging life...

Psycoticspacemarine
26-10-2008, 07:55
according to new fluff this is incorrect, tactical marines are now the bikers, since tactical marines are also trained how to use them.

is that in the new C:SM?

Malcalypse
26-10-2008, 08:16
I'm doing my own chapter as well. The Doom Phoenix Chapter. About at the half way mark. My army doesn't use scouts at all, and runs a dedicated devestator company.

40 terminators plus 2 commanders, 2 chaplains, 2 librarians, standard and apothecary

3 Full Battle Companies (bought three of the boxes) 2 with rhino transports and I'm working on getting drop popds for the third (only have two right now)

1 Devestator Company With Rhinos (total of 32 rhinos or I can run 14 as razorbacks)

3 10 Man Veteran Squads, 2 Veteran Assault Squads, 2 Veteran Devestator Squads

All 10 of my Company Commanders are done

9 Vindicators
6 Predators
2 Whirlwinds
8 Land Raiders
6 Land Speeders
6 Attack Bikes
6 Techmarines with Servo Harness
6 Dreadnoughts (3 Venerable)

Totals in at about 30k currently. Mostly looking to add more drop pods, a couple of thunderfire cannons. Praying for a plastic thunderhawk, I want at least 4! My problem is getting the right helmets. I'm using only Beakies and so far have accrued about 150 of them. Anybody looking to sell or trade off their beakies?

cleansingfury
26-10-2008, 19:18
Wow that is a lot of armor... all my assault squads other then the ones in my 8th company have beakies. Sort of my way of marking those who have moved up to full battle company status. Plus cuts down on the ammount of beaks I need... obviously.

oni
26-10-2008, 19:50
I think that some years ago GW did up the whole Ultramarines chapter with a few Thunderhawks for one of the Games Day's. I didn't see it in person, but it was later shown in a White Dwarf.

Leftenant Gashrog
26-10-2008, 21:09

Whats your source for that? The Bike Squad entry in the new Codex says: "To this end, the Codex Astartes dictates that all of a chapters Assault Marines, Scouts and the entire 6th Company should master the art of mounted warfare as part of their training regimen. Which is exactly as its always been..

FashaTheDog
26-10-2008, 21:17
Mat Ward said that all Tactical Marines must have already been Devastators and Assault Marines and can only move on to Veterans supports that.

Psycoticspacemarine
28-10-2008, 11:15
I think that some years ago GW did up the whole Ultramarines chapter with a few Thunderhawks for one of the Games Day's. I didn't see it in person, but it was later shown in a White Dwarf.

Yes there is a picture of this in the 3rd ed codex

The Judge
28-10-2008, 12:20
I myself have a full battle company, 30 terminators, 25 veterans, 5 bikers and 5 dreadnoughts, as well as characters, but would not consider doing an entire Chapter - my army is pre-heresy, so people would want me to do the entire LEGION!

I'm thinking of adding around 25 scouts (two squads plus bikers), 20 more assault marines, 10-20 more veterans and some vehicles - it's all ground-pounding at the moment. Also some drop pods...

Nacartra
28-10-2008, 13:15
im not doing a whole chapter im just doing 1st and 3rd blood angels company.
ive almost completed the 3rd company just need some rhinos one devestator squad and one assault sqaud.

StormWulfen
28-10-2008, 13:52
well im doing an iron warriors company, wich is roughly equivilent of one of your loyalist chapters, just with very little restrictions;)

scaligeri
28-10-2008, 16:18
I have been painting the 5th Company for a few years on and off its all complete with Support in the way off 20 terminators and vehicles all tank Units are in troops of 3
and this is my C&C Master of the Marches
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh179/hussar1810/000_0198.jpg

Lord Wasa
28-10-2008, 18:40
I just invented my own chapter, the Fists of Redemption. I've made banners, fluff, names for each of the characters and a chapter master of my own (he's up for reviewing on the rules development forum). I had planned to make the entire chapter and am since this friday the proud owner of a battle company box.

You're not alone my friend, and i'm relieved to hear that i'm not either. Good Luck, I have the feeling we'll both need it...

CaptainDaris
28-10-2008, 20:29

if you were doing dark angels, they would follow the standard company set out , apart from the fact that there are no power armour veterans from the 1st co (only company vets), and the entire second company is made of bikes and land speeders. Also, the reserve tactical companies don't pilot any speeders or bikes.

victorpofa
28-10-2008, 23:55
I have a battle company box from last August that I want to make into a Salamanders Company. I doubt I will make more than that, and may never get it up to full strength. A whole Chapter? Only if I somehow become independently wealthy. Not to buy the models, though it would not hurt. For the time it would take. I don't have the time to do such a project, fulfill my other obligations, and work. :p;)

Death Korp
29-10-2008, 00:08
I am wanting to create the 2nd Company of Ultramarines, with 20 Terminators and 20-30Veterans of the 1st company, some elements of the 8th and 10th companys (Bikes, Landspeeders and Scouts) and a nice armoured core :)

I'm not crazy enough to do the entire chapter though mind you, i'm mad enough just to do what i want to do here :D

DK