PDA

View Full Version : What effect do power weapons have in the current 40k background?

Baxx
17-11-2005, 15:39
I play Necromunda which is based on 2ed 40k and it describes power weapons as emitting a powerful discharge upon contact. However, recently I was told in the current 40k background that they no longer emit such a discharge, the disrupter field creates a sort of molecular edge so the blade can slice through objects more easily. Is this true?

Also looking through the Inquisitor rules, the power maul doesn't seem to be mentioned at all though the shock maul bares a striking resemblance. Has the shock maul replaced the power maul in the current 40k background?

Hideous Loon
17-11-2005, 16:06
Power weapons don't have a monomolecular edge, closecombat weapons do. At least it said that in the earlier SM codex... In my world, powerweapons give off a discharge, much like a weaker version of thunderhammers.

TheSonOfAbbadon
17-11-2005, 16:18
I thought the disrupter field just disrupted the bond between atoms it hits, ripping through them no matter how strong they are.

I'm probably wrong, though.

neXus6
17-11-2005, 16:33
Well,
Close combat weapons are just normal weapons,
Monomolecular edged weapons employ a force field to stop the edge falling off and cut through things as easily as power weapons,
Power weapons I always saw as having a field around them that actually did the cutting, and when field hit things it discharged to an extent like it would if it was used to parry a weapon, I imagine it would spark and discharge.

Just my thoughts.

Norminator
17-11-2005, 16:45
IIRC, Close Combat weapons were stated to be mono-molecular edged, and power weapons cut apart the bonds between atoms (essentially combining what TheSonofAbbadon and hideous_loon said.

I've just got my 4th Ed rule book out, and it's a bit vague:

A power weapon (typically a sword or axe, but sometimes a glaive, halberd of mace) is sheathed in the lethal haze of a disruptive energy field, eating through armour, flesh and bone with ease.

I'm afraid I can't find my old SM codex at the moment, I'll go and see if I can dig it out.

Slazton
17-11-2005, 16:58
I essentially imagine it with a faint glow that cuts straight through flesh and armour as a hot knife through butter or a similar metaphor.

my_name_is_tudor
17-11-2005, 17:26
IIRC, Close Combat weapons were stated to be mono-molecular edged, and power weapons cut apart the bonds between atoms (essentially combining what TheSonofAbbadon and hideous_loon said.

I've just got my 4th Ed rule book out, and it's a bit vague:

I'm afraid I can't find my old SM codex at the moment, I'll go and see if I can dig it out.

eating is the important word I'd say, perhaps the disruptive field does more than just seperate atoms, but instead just rips them away from whatever they are part of, so to be struck with a power sword is to be burnt through almost, rather than to be sliced.

Flame Boy
17-11-2005, 17:27
Yes, unlike the Thunder Hammer previously mentioned, the power weapon constantly produces a power field when active. The Thunder Hammer instead only unleashes it's energy upon contact, which is why the force is explosive and much more powerful.

It makes you wonder why they bother to sharpen power weapon blades if the field itself does the damage, unless the field is only a catalyst for the blade itself... This might make sense, the field "softens" the target on the atomic level, so the blade itself has less resistance when cutting?

Commander Ozae
17-11-2005, 18:33
Power weapons emit an energy field that lets them destroy almost anything but cutting through it incredibly easily. They might admit a discharge but that is attributed more to shock weapons which let out an electric shock on contact. It's possible to have both a shock field and a power field incorporated into one weapon but you'd need to hoist a huge backpack around with the power for it.

Colonel Puti
17-11-2005, 18:46
It makes you wonder why they bother to sharpen power weapon blades if the field itself does the damage, unless the field is only a catalyst for the blade itself... This might make sense, the field "softens" the target on the atomic level, so the blade itself has less resistance when cutting?
Power weapone are ancient artifacts, the need to be cleaned and sharpened, to keep them in good fit. Power weapons are also symbols of high status. If you are an high rank officer, you would like to have a shiny sword, dont you?

RampagingRavener
17-11-2005, 19:26
I've always imagined Power Weapons to burn things-they project a feild of white-hot energy around the blade, which burns right through anything it touches as well as the feild itself parting the atoms it strikes. So an injury from a power weapon would not bleed heavily, but cautorise-kinda like a a wound caused by a lightsaber.

Yea, that seems about right. Like a Lightsaber with a metal stick in the middle of the blade.

Commander Ozae
17-11-2005, 20:03
I don't think they do quite as much damage as a lightsaber, a lightsaber is basically a beam of highly condenced light traped in a field, a power weapon on the other hand just has an energy field that makes it able to cut through enemies with ease but not necessarily cut through anything like a lightsaber.

Ivan Stupidor
17-11-2005, 23:22
I don't think they do quite as much damage as a lightsaber, a lightsaber is basically a beam of highly condenced light traped in a field, a power weapon on the other hand just has an energy field that makes it able to cut through enemies with ease but not necessarily cut through anything like a lightsaber.

Well, it's been indicated in novels (one of the Eisenhorn books, I believe), that early power weapons had little more than a powerful glowing energy field for a blade - quite like a lightsaber. Howver, since we have neither an Inquisitor nor a Jedi Knight to cut various things for us so we can determine which weapon is more powerful, the question of whether they are equivalent will remain unanswered.

(Now that I think of it, didn't the early RT-era descriptions of power weapon describe them as a thin wire that projected a powerful energy field?)

Commander Ozae
17-11-2005, 23:37
The whole idea behind power weapons is that they are kind of the equivilant of lightsabers, just more common. They are powerful, destructive weapons that are used to indicate rank and do lots of damage to enemies.