PDA

View Full Version : We Are Not Going To Take It Any More, Gw.

Waywatcher-
24-10-2008, 11:29
]Ive been playing GW games for about 7 years now, Ive seen prices rise, standards fall, and anger grow.

Many threads are dedicated to GWs failings, and, more importantly how we are not getting what we derserve from years GW loyality, we are hooked in, thrown on the GW boat, now we are left to flap around untill we realise we are not going to be able to get back into the sea.

SO, I say we do something about it, a patition, letters, mass email, Whatever, give your ideas and thoughts, but I think as a large community featuring many different players from different countrys, we could at least make GW have a little think.

It may be futile, but we could at least try.

And mabye we might get hat we want.

What do you think?

Waywatcher

Grimtuff
24-10-2008, 11:37
Wow, is it that time of the week already? *Looks at watch* :rolleyes:

Threads like this appear ever week. It's Other Discussion's version of "What is you fave army?". Move along now.

Jedi152
24-10-2008, 11:41
We've had at least 3 petition threads so far this week.

It's normally about FAQs. What you have to bear in mind is that you are in the minority. No matter how many people agree with you online, you are in the minority, and any petition will probably do nothing.

What do you want? You don't state any specific grievances. Many veterans claim to be overlooked by GW with few ideas about how they are being treated badly and what GW could do to rectify it.

Waywatcher-
24-10-2008, 11:49
Fair point, although i was joping others would say any problems they have found with there gamer freinds ect.

1) No further price rise
2) Gw not diverting all of its attention to new hobbyist, not much just a few more articles in Whitedwarf, advanced painting, advanced tactica ect.

Thats all I want, mainly its money and attention, wait, that sounds like the needs of a stropy 14year old girl........damn.

Waywatcher

blongbling
24-10-2008, 11:54
withe greatest respect, there are currently 12k people on this group, ignoring the people who think you are wrong you will maybe get, at best a couple of thousand people how might do as you ask.

with GW introducing new gamers to the hobby at say, 2 per week per store that would take them a whole month to replace you all if you stopped buying stuff.

Im not saying its futile or irrelevant but the reality is not everyone is unhappy with GW or what they are doing or are simply to apathetic to care. If you dont like it go play something else, there are lots to chose from.

I am one of the people who are happy with GW and i dont really have any issues with them, its their company and they run it how they wish. i wouldnt dream of telling Ford how to make cars or sell them and i think the same for GW

Reaver83
24-10-2008, 12:09
isn't this thread also the sign that in 2 days time another 'the chaos codex is rubbish' will appear

Bookwrak
24-10-2008, 13:25
What do you think?

Waywatcher
I already have the hat I want, although it's very kind of you to consider the haberdashery needs of others.

If you're actually want to try and organize some sort of petition or anything, you need to have a firm idea of what it is you're going for. The two points you listed are really so much gibberish without a solid statement of where you're coming from, and what you want.

LordFlashHeart
24-10-2008, 13:33
All this anti Games Workshop posting is getting very tiring. Get over yourself or get another hobby.

marv335
24-10-2008, 13:33
1) No further price rise

Not going to happen. GW is a business, and is legally responsible to its shareholders.

2) Gw not diverting all of its attention to new hobbyist, not much just a few more articles in Whitedwarf, advanced painting, advanced tactica ect.

New hobbyists are the core part of their business.
Management have been quoted as saying that customers have something like an 18 month gaming life.

They don't devote much attention to veterans because

there aren't that many in the grand scheme of things
if you're a veteran, you shouldn't need help.

Jedi152
24-10-2008, 13:36
The problem with that is that White Dwarf and GW Hobby Centres are both catered towards newer gamers.

Every WD has to be approachable, because it's going to be someone's first foray into the world of wargaming.

If you're a veteran you should be able to look after yourself.

Pokpoko
24-10-2008, 13:38
if OP is unhappy with GW i suggest a simple,quick and easy solution- find another game, stop buying from GW, with the source of bad feelings gone you should feel much better.

arch_inquisitor
24-10-2008, 13:40
Why do people keep posting these pointless calls to arms? Not only is it futile but it is downright silly, If you want to start a petition, how about starting one for a worthwhile cause (like cancer or poverty) as opposed to one concerning a game involving toy soldiers.

People really need to not take GW games so seriously. And as I've stated many times I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who complain about the prices of luxury items like toy soldiers.

Galdur Hrafnsson
24-10-2008, 13:56
*yawn* You're so hard done to, honestly.

Oh noes, prices have risen! Well, that's going to happen. Add inflation, increasing production costs, and the continuing requirement to earn a profit for the shareholders, and there you have your price rises.

Standards have fallen! Bah. If you think standards have fallen, just compare recent sculpts and plastic figures to those made 10-15 years ago. Hell, compare Black reach to Battle for Macragge. Production standards have risen so much over the past few years that their only problem is a few ugly sculpts. And if you meant WD... oh well. It's actually better now than it was a year or two ago, although it's not quite as good as it was 9-10 years ago.

And finally, don't think GW is doing enough for you, in their stores? Then quit the hobby. Alternatively, find a gaming club or group of like-minded individuals, and do your own thing. Quit crying about it.

zedeyejoe
24-10-2008, 14:06
more importantly how we are not getting what we derserve from years GW loyality

Wow, me I just go in and buy stuff. I don't feel guilty when I am not spending on GW stuff and in fact have been known to buy second hand on eBay.

So guess I am not loyal, so they are treating me fairly.

Shadowheart
24-10-2008, 14:06
It may be futile, but we could at least try.
Again and again and again...

If anything, I'd say this type of thing is counterproductive. It shows GW there's demand for their products. The more interest their customers show the less GW will worry.

GW's policies are beyond our control. Instead of trying to affect them, we'd better manage our own spending and hobbying. So yeah, by all means, stop taking it anymore.

Wolf Scout Ewan
24-10-2008, 14:07
Wow what alot of bile and venom.

If you want a petition or mass email then start one! Facebook has a huge group of 40k fans!

reds8n
24-10-2008, 14:26
Fair point, although i was joping others would say any problems they have found with there gamer freinds ect.

1) No further price rise

You don't think the overthrowing of the capitalist system is possibly a tad optimistic?

I mean I'm sure we'll give it a go and that but..

orks2134
24-10-2008, 15:08
Another anti-GW petition. How very Warseer.

The Judge
24-10-2008, 15:45
I think the title of the thread should be changed... "we" ARE going to take it, thank you.

Master Jeridian
24-10-2008, 15:56
You don't think the overthrowing of the capitalist system is possibly a tad optimistic

No need, it's perfectly capable of destroying itself as we'll see.

OP: I feel your pain, but:

-I don't like football, so I don't play it or buy any related products
-I don't like theatre, so I don't go to them
-I don't like lobster, so I don't eat it

Notice a pattern?
Quite clearly you are going to take it, as whilst ranting on an internet forum, you'll no doubt continue to buy GW product. Guess which action they care about.

Nothing says 'I hate your Company's product' like going out and buying more of it.

TheLionReturns
24-10-2008, 15:58
A lot of my criticisms of GW are more in the spirit of a discussion about how things could be improved. They are not gripes of the severity to make me wish to protest formally. If things were that bad I would simply quit GW, maybe play other systems or just quit wargaming altogether. I have given a fair bit to GW money wise but I have got a lot out of the hobby too so I don't feel exploited.

That said I don't think a petition is necessarily a bad thing, but perhaps the wording in the thread title did little to help matters. Firstly a petition needs a distinct subject and concern, it can't just be "GW I am angry". Also a petition does not have to be confrontational in the way of an ultimatum. It can simply be people sigining up who share a concern. Think of it as customer feedback rather than an angry protest.

That said GW is a business and is run accordingly (rightfully so IMO). If people want to get GW's attention don't buy their products. Don't play games if you can't stand the rules. Don't buy the models if they are too expensive. Falling sales will do far more to prompt a change in GW than customer feedback will.

Personally, despite some rules concerns, I still enjoy the games. I do think some models are overpriced (warhawk riders for example), but GW won't be getting my money for models such as these until I feel they are a reasonable price. If enough people feel the way I do sales will fall and prices change, if not I guess I am just cheap.

yabbadabba
24-10-2008, 16:01
If you're a veteran you should be able to look after yourself.

You know, that's the key with vets. They should be able to look after themselves.
I see a lot of threads and posts like this OP and part of me thinks that actually what these "vets" are doing is crying out for attention - and that makes me think they haven't matured enough in the hobby just yet, and I mean that with the greatest respect.

If you are a vet, you know where to buy cheaper stuff, better stuff, different non-GW stuff, old stuff and the huge majority of that doesn't come from GW. So why would they want to draw attention to it? The most important aspect of being a Vet is making decisions and taking control of your hobby, and being comfortable with that. Tht includes when to shop with GW. GW is right to mainly focus on new customers because they don't have that support and experience to make those decisions comfortably.

For me I have a few fingers in a few hobby pies. At the moment I don't think my new GW pie is filling enough, but I still have plenty of the old GW pies to keep me going. Won't stop me playing GW stuff, but it will masively slow down my spending until they excite me again. And I am happy with that.

So is the wife incidently :D

Griefbringer
24-10-2008, 17:08
You don't think the overthrowing of the capitalist system is possibly a tad optimistic?

Don't mix capitalism with free market economy. Price regulation and other restrictions to free pricing have historically existed in capitalist economies, and have at times been attempted by capitalists themselves in the form of cartels.

Back to the original topic: if you are going to organise a letter campaign, please ensure that everybody uses soft and fluffy paper. This ensure that the GW staff will more highly appreciate your feedback when getting in touch with it in the GW HQ Customer Feedback Analysis Department (formerly known as the restrooms). This will also help to prevent sewage blockages which will be appreciated by the Nottingham water and sewage department.

Gaebriel
24-10-2008, 17:31
]... What do you think? ...

Vote with your wallet, it's the only language GW may understand. And if your 'response' is drowned out by other peoples' spending, remember you can use the spare cash on something nice, like ...

... another hobby ...

... for example :)

Shamfrit
24-10-2008, 17:41
My dearest Whiner:

In answer to your question - a simple no - an explanation you might ask?

It's called. 'The Credit Crunch.'

McMullet
24-10-2008, 18:18
What do you think?
Personally, I think We Are, in fact, Going To Take It.

It's a lot easier to find a new hobby than it is to pester a large company into doing what I tell it to. It's even easier than that to just carry on with my current hobby and accept that it isn't perfect.

Hobbies are about having fun. If you find writing letters of complaint to GW fun, fair enough. Personally I prefer playing with toy soldiers (among other things). The current state of GW is not a big enough problem for me to waste my valuable leisure time on complaining about it. If they never released another codex, rule book, model, painting guide, I could still play GW games with stuff I have already. I don't need them to help me out with my hobby if they don't want to.

Lord Malorne
24-10-2008, 18:26
GW is alcohol, fags, drugs and those kid cartoons you sometimes watch for no reason...its addictive!

Its good, it has a lot of downsides...but will we quit or do something about it? No...we can think about it though ;).

The thread title should be changed form 'we' to 'I'm'.

Rastamann
24-10-2008, 19:30
I like to see these whining threads, and then how the same people that complain that they're not putting up with whiners post that response over and over. Quite entertaining, a hobby in its own right. :D

My hobby is wargaming. I go out and find the product I deem worthy of my attention and money whenever I feel like it and have some spare cash *after* I meet my monthly savings requirements. GW doesn't own the hobby or even make the best rules for it, it's just a good gateway. Use it as such

heretics bane
24-10-2008, 19:44
I say we go to them directly..

We march on nottingham!

Or we just boycott them?

Moralein
24-10-2008, 19:44
Will a petition make any difference?

NO!

I can remember signing one a few years back (i was about the 6000th person on it), I even posted the details on the GW forums (got a suspension for that!). The petition was a complaint about a recent price increase, giving what's happened over the last few years, you can see how effective it was.

The only thing that will make a difference is to STOP BUYING GW, that includes using online discount retailers (though second hand from Ebay is fine). Given their sales figures over the last few years this is what seems to be happening and they're still not taking a huge amount of notice.

The Orange
24-10-2008, 19:56
Just write a letter explaining your frustrations. Make it out to JJ if you feel so inclined. You might even get a response. I think that will be a much better outlet for your energy. I've done it before myself, I complained about the LE models that came only in the one time Large army box offerings when a new codex came out. And guess what? They don't do that anymore :p. The collectors range offered from the online store IMO, was a far better solution which allows all gamers a chance to get some good looking LE models.

orks2134
24-10-2008, 20:13
Seriously, though, why on earth would anyone want to see GW get crushed? Petitions, boycotts, sending codex books back, whatever.

How many members are on Warseer? I have said this before, and I will say it again. 92% of Warseer members openly despise GW, and will call for Nottingham to be bulldozed, while secretly buying more stuff and loathing themselves for it.

How do I know this? Because GW still puts out fantastic product, better books, nicer quality sculpts, and who knows, might even turn a slightly bigger profit someday again.

The shampoo salesman Mark Wells has done a good job of getting things back on track, and there has never been better editions of the three core games in 40k, LOTR, and Fantasy. The focus is there, the product is greatly improving, the sales are getting better.

Off to paint and enjoy my toys... maybe even get a game in...

DoktorZinieztro
24-10-2008, 20:26

You haven't read Alan Greenspan's and Sarkzoy's statements, then...

As fas not taking it anymore, to the thread's originator: seriously... If people stop buying en masse, that might get some attention, but will not guarantee a price revision or even better content in WD.

As the quintessential "Not taking it anymore, but no idea how to make it happen" thread, this one is as idiotic as all its predecessors...

And I don't smile and ignore GW's failings as a company in certain aspects, or swear by them or justify them, but as far as buying from them...

I find the prices that suit me and buy what I CAN and WANT, and not ONLY from them or just for their systems.

Because my loyalty, or yours or blongbling's.or nay rabid fanboi's... Means squat to them.

Simple as that.

So, either come up with something more ellaborate and intelligent or just vent your frustations seeing what is just outside the window... You might find something you like and that's up for grabs.

Harry
24-10-2008, 20:35

I'm with you brother. :D

"Never underestimate the power of a small group of committed people to change the world. In fact, it is the only thing that ever has." (Margaret Mead)

I'll still be able to collect toy soldiers under the new system though, right? :D

DoktorZinieztro
24-10-2008, 20:36
You know, that's the key with vets. They should be able to look after themselves.
I see a lot of threads and posts like this OP and part of me thinks that actually what these "vets" are doing is crying out for attention

Excuse me... But i seem to recall this guy stated he has been playing for ONLY 7 years...That hardly makes him a "vet" because if he started at age 10, that makes him 17 now (which sounds about right judging the depth of his proposal and the sheer passion of his idealism).

But then again, I mean... SE - VEN, years!

A vet... Phah!

Now, I really feel like a longbeard!

And cant' I get no respect! :D

Lardidar
24-10-2008, 20:51
I am willing to take it!

I find GW to be value for money, relatively cheap and an always welcoming place (maybe not school hols)

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
24-10-2008, 20:52
This is the greatest thread ever.

EVER.

Oh, and online petitions are about as useless as a one legged man in a butt kicking contest.

Waywatcher-
24-10-2008, 22:05
'Oh, and online petitions are about as useless as a one legged man in a butt kicking contest.'

I think that finishes this thread.

Thanks for the posts. Sorry if youve heard it before, Mabye i was a bit ambitious.

Waywatcher