PDA

View Full Version : Graviton guns

The Clairvoyant
24-10-2008, 15:46
Do these still exist?

In 2nd ed, they were the most ridiculously powerful weapons in the entire game.
Yeah, a vortex grenade is 50pts and obliterates you, but 40pts for a graviton gun and you can incapacitate someone every turn, or auto-penetrate a vehicle

Please tell me these nightmarish guns have all blown up and no longer exist in 40k, or at least, drastically reduced in capabilities!

Lord Inquisitor
24-10-2008, 15:58
Only in Inquisitor, as far as I know. Actually, I'm a bit surprised the Master of the Forge got the Conversion beamer rather than the Graviton gun.

x-esiv-4c
24-10-2008, 16:01
Hmmm no more Macro cannons either :(

The Clairvoyant
24-10-2008, 16:06
well thats a relief! :D

Thank ye kindly

IJW
24-10-2008, 16:40
Hmmm no more Macro cannons either :(
Sure there are - the name changed to the Volcano Cannon some time around the release of either Adeptus Titanicus or Space Marine.

Lord Inquisitor
24-10-2008, 16:47
Well, last I heard, the next Imperial Armour book will cover the forces of the Forge Worlds themselves. Perhaps we'll see graviton guns return to 40K then!

borithan
24-10-2008, 17:10
I always thought Marco cannons were simply the old names for what are now Earthshakers?

IJW
24-10-2008, 17:22
Hmm. I'll revise my earlier statement about Adeptus Titanicus, they were still called Macro Cannon then. Must have been Titan Legions aka Epic Mk.2 that they changed to being Volcano Cannon.

x-esiv-4c
24-10-2008, 17:34
I thought the macro cannon became the quake cannon.

IJW
24-10-2008, 17:39
I thought the macro cannon became the quake cannon.
Doh!

Defence Laser = Volcano Cannon
Macro Cannon = Quake Cannon

It's a loooong time since I played Epic...

x-esiv-4c
24-10-2008, 17:47
Althought interestingly enough, the Macro cannon in my RT book is typo'd to read "Marco cannon"

What about that Neural disrupter weapon ('least I think that's what it was called) . A grown crystal that looks like a gun.

Lord Inquisitor
24-10-2008, 17:55
Sounds like the Neural Shredder to me...

Griefbringer
24-10-2008, 17:58
Neuro disruptor probably was not one of the scariest weapons around - all it did was to make the poor target confused.

TrooperTino
24-10-2008, 21:01
oh, I thought Macro Cannon is just a name for a realy big cannon which fires realy big projectiles (sp?), like the big one the germans had in ww2, not one specific weapon (like volcano or quake cannon). But I never played epic...

Lord Inquisitor
24-10-2008, 21:08
These days "Macro Weapons" are a catch-all term for big weapons in Epic (like "Destroyer" in Apocalypse).

borithan
24-10-2008, 22:50
Neuro disruptor probably was not one of the scariest weapons around - all it did was to make the poor target confused.The thing I find difficult to understand is the Crozius Arcanum which included a neural disruptor in the hilt... did that mean that it took effect as if a neuro disrupter if it hit in close combat, or could it be shot? If it was for shooting, what did the weapon do otherwise? And why would anyone want such a frankly **** weapon, at least on a Space Marine? Sure, makes some sort of sense for a police unit, but an elite killing machine (and an elite one of those at that)?

Supremearchmarshal
24-10-2008, 23:06
What about that Neural disrupter weapon ('least I think that's what it was called) . A grown crystal that looks like a gun.

A weapon which looks exactly the same makes an appearance in the 3rd edition rulebook, but it was changed to a handgun of one of the minor alien races. No details on it's effects, though.

Neuro disruptor probably was not one of the scariest weapons around - all it did was to make the poor target confused.

It was still pretty powerful since it didn't allow a save of any kind.

keatsmeister
25-10-2008, 00:08
Do these still exist?

In 2nd ed, they were the most ridiculously powerful weapons in the entire game.
Yeah, a vortex grenade is 50pts and obliterates you, but 40pts for a graviton gun and you can incapacitate someone every turn, or auto-penetrate a vehicle

Please tell me these nightmarish guns have all blown up and no longer exist in 40k, or at least, drastically reduced in capabilities!

Even more evil when you consider that incapictated individuals at the end of the game counted as dead. It was a relatively easy way to assassinate Independent Characters.

I'd be interested to see a 5th edition iteration, I'll have a think about it and stick a thread on the Rules Dev board :eyebrows: