PDA

View Full Version : UKGT warm-up game: TK vs WE

luckysevens
24-10-2008, 15:42
Hi all,

With the UKGT heats coming up, one of my regular opponents and I thought a practice game would be in order, what with all the fancy new scenarios and such. Normally I do diagrams for these reports, and if I get the time I’ll add some, but for now I’ll try and do it with words – old school, if you will.

The Lists:

B’s (that’s me) Tomb Kings

Tomb King, light armour, shield, Flail of Skulls, Collar of Shapesh, Cloak of the Dunes
Liche Priest, skeletal steed, Hieratic Jar, Dispel Scroll [Hierophant]
Liche Priest, skeletal steed, Staff of Ravening
10 Bowmen, champion
5 Light Horsemen
2 Tomb Swarms
4 Chariots, Warbanner
3 Chariots
15 Tomb Guard, Banner of the Undying Legion
2 Tomb Scorpions
5 Carrion
Bone Giant
Screaming Skull Catapult

J’s Wood Elves (from memory)

Level 4 Spellsinger (or is it Weaver? I forget), Wand of re-roll dispel attempts
Level 2 Spellsinger, Wand of re-casting Treesinging
Branchwraith, Annoyance of Netlings, Spite of +1 Dispel Dice
2 x 10 Glade Guard, musicians
2 x 10 Dryads
5 Glade Riders
6 Wild Riders, full command, Warbanner
7 Wardancers
20 Eternal Guard, full command
Treeman

The board was a standard 6x4, with one large wood on my side on the left, a house and pond that played no part in the game, a smaller wood on J’s side on my right and a nice hill for J’s Glade guard to perch on. We rolled the Capture scenario, and the 4 objectives (whoever controls most at the end wins, need US5 and not a single model to claim an objective) were scattered about, one in my deployment zone, one just outside, one just outside J’s deployment zone and one on the right of the board near the smaller wood.

Deployment saw the woodies spread across the board with both Glade Guard units on the hill, dryads front and centre, the cavalry on my left flank, treeman, wardancers, Eternal guard and both wizards on my right flank. On my side of things I had my archer bunker with both priests in a central-right position, with the tomb guard + king on their left, giant and one scorpion on their right, the larger chariot unit slightly behind. The light horse, smaller chariot unit and catapult went on the left flank, the horse to block potential treesinging on the large wood, and the catapult placed in the only area with a line of sight to the treeman, just in case I got first turn. My swarms and remaining scorpion tunnelled to threaten the two wizards around the cluster of objectives on the right side of the board. Rather indecisively the carrion went somewhere at the back, in the middle.

J took his spells from Athel Loren for the level 2, and Beasts for the level 4, getting Treesinging, Spell of making a unit cause fear, Bear’s Anger, Crow’s Feast, Hunter’s Spear and The Wolf Hunts.

Turn 1

J won the roll off for first turn with his +1 from deployment, so no treeman sniping for me. All of the wood elf units advanced, rapidly on the left with the fast cav moving to threaten the light horse on that side. The treeman and both wizards entered the small wood nearby, while the eternal guard and wardancers moved up alongside.

With his wizards snug in the wood, there wasn’t much for J to do but shuffle it around a bit, which I was fairly happy to let go. Treesinging didn’t really affect the game much, so I won’t mention it again.

The woodies’ shooting was uncharacteristically poor, with one skelly falling from the priests’ bunker and one light horseman dropping from his non-existent saddle. A potshot from the level 2 in the wood pinged off of the un-tunnelled scorpion.

So, over to me then. I had been fairly happy with my deployment; of course, it’s only when you come to the actual game you realise the mistakes you’ve made. With the moving wood and the otherwise pointless house on my right flank, suddenly my giant, scorpion, chariots and archers were all a bit in each other’s way, especially the 4 wide chariots who really didn’t want to be going through the woods. Trying to make the best of it, I swooped my chariots away to the left, behind my main lines, while my giant and scorpion advanced. The archers reformed into a line behind the monsters, and my King flitted out of the Tomb Guard to join them (Eggs? Basket?). On the left flank the light horse moved to angle the glade riders from attacking the catapult, and the smaller chariot unit moved back to countercharge anything coming through the fragile horsemen. With nothing particular to do, the carrion moved around behind the catapult.

Magic was slightly quashed by J’s 6 re-rollable dispel dice, but I managed to pick off a wardancer and push through a charge by my scorpion on the cheeky level 2 in the wood. Perhaps predictably, he fled, leaving Mr. Pinchy stranded in front of the Big Tree. Whoops…

My guess from the catapult at the juicy eternal guard (the Tree was hidden in the wood at this point) was spot on, and I even rolled a ‘Hit’….and a ‘Misfire’ – but it was cocked, so a re-roll was in order….’Misfire’. Oh well. No shooting for 2 turns and one unlucky crewman bit some more dust. The light horse picked off a Glade Rider, and I completely forgot to shoot the archers at the wardancers again (we rolled the dice anyway out of curiosity – 2 kills. Rats)

Still no combat, so on to Turn 2

J charged the Treeman at the scorpion, and double-charged the light horsemen with the wild and glade riders – this completely undid my ‘cunning’ angling manoeuvre, as the two units together were wide enough that the overrunning wild riders would almost certainly hit the hidden catapult. Only a failed fear-test by the Glade riders could save me, but it wasn’t to be. On the bright side, the treeman fighting the scorpion was angled away from my lines, so when he surely crushed it, I’d have some time to re-group.

The lone wizard rallied, and was engulfed in a group hug by the wardancers, retreating from bowfire and heading nearer to the objectives. The dryads and eternal guard continued to advance, and the level 4 moved into the front rank of the Guard so as to use her spells more effectively.

Magic this turn saw a wound taken off the giant by a Hunter’s Spear, and a miscast Crow’s Feast resulting in a 6 – Free Spell. Worst. Miscast. Result. Ever.

Combat saw the light horsemen crushed as expected, and the Wild Riders careened into the catapult. On the other side of the field, the treeman failed miserably, causing only 1 wound, and another for crumbling.

It was only at this point we realised J had completely forgotten his shooting phase – too late now, so on we went.

On the left my small chariot unit charged into the Wild Riders, hoping to maybe save the catapult, and the Giant charged the Eternal Guard, Spellweaver firmly in his sights. The guard sensibly pegged it, and got away safely. Both of my tunnellers turned up, but the scorpion that could have charged the eternal guard with the giant misfired and died. The swarms, appearing right in front of the wardancers, decided they might as well charge in.

My King moved up towards the engaged treeman, flail swinging ominously. Worried about future missile fire, my non-hierophant priest ditched the archer bunker for the Tomb Guard, also putting him in incantation range of the chariot combat. The carrion, still rather aimless, headed over behind the glade riders, while the 4-strong chariot unit continued trying to get to a useful position.

With the Spellweaver fleeing, my magic had more opportunity to shine this turn, with the King charging and Smiting the Treeman, but failing to wound. The glade riders were Ravened, but passed their panic check, a Smiting on the engaged chariot unit dropped one Wild Rider, and several Urgencies pulled the Giant back towards my lines, to stop him being charged by some angry Dryads.

Shooting was largely insignificant, with the odd elf dropping here or there.

Combat saw a feeble assault by the chariots dropping only a couple of Wild Riders, and the survivors with their Warbanner were able to do enough wounds on the Catapult crew to win the combat and crumble some wounds off the chariots. The charging King managed a tasty 4 wounds on the treeman (2 wounds doubled for the Flail), who again failed to dent the scorpion. Amazingly, the Tree failed its stubborn check and fled, to be run down by the king and scorpion, with the king swooping into the dryad unit containing the Branchwraith. The wardancers in 4+ ward save mode chopped through the swarms in one turn, for one casualty.

Turn 3

A bit miffed at the soft demise of the Treeman, J charged the surviving glade riders into the engaged chariots and rallied the eternal guard. The unengaged dryad unit advanced on the tomb guard, and the wardancers with mage in tow moved in on the objectives.

Magic saw a high-rolled Crow’s Feast on my bunker unit dispel-scrolled (I didn’t want to risk it being depleted before J’s shooting phase) and the wounded scorpion was polished off by a Hunter’s Spear. I think J went for a Bear’s Anger on his branchwraith, but was out of range.

Well rested from last turn, J’s archers managed to wipe out the skeleton bunker unit – 9 wounds at long range. Good thing I got rid of that Crow’s Feast.

Combat saw the beleaguered chariots wiped out, with the Glade Riders overrunning to just in front of the larger chariot unit. The Netlings-branchwraith challenged my king, who luckily rolled the ‘6’ he needed to do her in. The dryads, with the newly-rallied general nearby, held.

My large chariot unit, desperate to do something this game, charged the glade riders. With the block of Eternal Guard ready to charge my king if he couldn’t beat off the dryads, the Giant moved up to help out. Meanwhile the hierophant, suddenly finding herself all alone, joined the Tomb guard, which now held both my priests. The carrion flew to the flank of the archer units to charge next turn.

Magic saw the Giant pushed into combat with the dryads fighting my king and a loose dryad or two picked off from the other unit.

In combat the Glade Riders were unsurprisingly minced, but the chariots couldn’t overrun far enough to hit the lurking wild riders (10” or so was needed, I rolled 6”). The Giant got slap-happy on the dryads, with 3 initial hits becoming 2 wounds, and 2 more wounds, and 2 more wounds, and 2 more wounds, until he finally missed. The king chipped in too, and the dryads broke. Both the giant and the king gave chase, killing the dryads but landing short of the archers behind. Slap bang in front of the archers, in fact, at close range…

Turn 4

The second dryad unit charged the tomb guard containing my two priests, and the surviving wild riders moved to assist if the Spellweaver could lend a hand.

Obligingly, the Spellweaver went for a 5-dice Wolf Hunts, sending the wild riders into the tomb guard flank.

Despite being at point-blank range, the glade guard couldn’t make much of a dent in the Giant or King (the king was happily in the Giant’s shadow and so couldn’t be targeted fully by both units, so their fire was split).

In combat the dryads and wild riders made no mistake and killed both priests, as well as a handful of tomb guard, for no return losses. Further crumbling left the unit at about half strength.

With the hierophant dead at the end of the phase it was time for army-wide crumble checks – luckily, no wounds were taken, even by the Ld4 Carrion.

As my turn started, more crumbling was in order… only it wasn’t, as everything passed its test again. With that out of the way my giant charged one unit of glade guard (too close for a stand and shoot) and the carrion charged the other in the flank. The King flew over to the tomb guard combat, joined by the surviving chariot unit, hoping against hope to help out with some My will be done action.

Predictably however, the strong Wood elf dispel phase prevented the king achieving anything, and the tomb guard were wiped out in the combat that followed. The giant, evidently tired from his wood-chopping earlier, only managed a single wound against the glade guard, while the carrion fared even worse, causing no wounds and taking one in return. Crumbling left the giant and carrion at about half strength.

Turn 5

With the tomb guard dealt with, the dryads turned their attention to the nearby king and charged in. The wild riders scooted around to help out again if the Spellweaver was feeling so inclined – and he was, with a Wolf Hunts too strong for my paltry 2 DD to deal with.

In the combat the king challenged the wild rider champion, hoping to escape the dryads’ attacks and possibly get some overkill through the Flail, but the wild rider sensibly declined the offer. The dryads and wild rider standard bearer managed a wound on the king, who failed miserably to kill off the wild rider in return. Still alive and kicking, the standard bearer’s Warbanner was enough to kill the king through CR (as always, I forgot about the Curse).

At this point, with all my characters dead and no real hope of claiming more objectives than my opponent, I conceded. If I'd fought on I might have bagged myself some archers and maybe the pesky wildriders as consolation, but I didn't feel it was worth it by that point.

Post game thoughts:

Overall I was pretty happy with my army, despite the loss. It’s a more aggressive list than I’m used to, and also smaller, so I’ll need to be careful with it to get the most out of it I think. I definitely made several errors during the game that cost me, notably the woeful deployment of the 4-strong Chariot unit, one of my main hammers. I also learned several things from the game, especially about the carrion – using them as I did was a total waste. If I’d been more decisive/aggressive with them, I could have used them to force J’s Eternal Guard to hold against my Giant in Turn 2 for fear of a magical 20” move wiping the unit out if it fled.

Anyway, cheers for reading, comments always welcome.

superduperkoopatrooper
24-10-2008, 17:31
If you dropped 2 carrion and a scorpion, would you be far off from being able to afford your 3 ushabti? While scorpions are widely considered to be one of the TK's main assets, at the GT I doubt there'll be many warmachines for them to hunt and they can't capture things. Losing the ability to deter units fleeing through the carrion is unfortunate I guess but you could conga line 3 of them to the edge of the board if that's their main use?
Also, your ushabti are too pretty to be left at home :)
Not that they'd be particularly useful, at least they could trundle along with the tomb guard so that they can help each other out a bit.

From what I could tell it seemed like the wild riders caused you the most problems. I guess had your chariots been better located you should have been able to mitigate their impact quite a lot.

Better luck next time (unless it's against me of course :evilgrin:)

luckysevens
24-10-2008, 17:47
3 Ushabti is pushing the 200pt mark, 2 carrion and a scorp doesn't even hit 150. Although the scorps can't capture things, they can still mage/character hunt, and they're only 1 kill point for total annihilation (which I've just noticed by the way, is misspelled in the GW rulespack - tsk tsk). Plus one of them I've sculpted from scratch, so I'd like to show it off - same with the carrion in fact. If I could, I'd take more carrion rather than less. Another unit of 3 would be really handy i think.

With the wildriders, I rolled low on my impact hits when I got to charge them, and their annoying multiple saves kept them alive. After that combat ended, they were too fast for me to really catch again, especially with magical movement.

3Xhume
24-10-2008, 21:53
You have a nice list but unfortunately for a GT level, you can not ditch the third priest. You need every magical support you can get. Drop the banner and a chariot from your main chariot unit. I have find that plain chariots work best.

SevenSins
28-10-2008, 19:21
even whitout the glories of fluff it was a nice writeup.
Seems like you made some mistakes wich your opponent took full advantage of

luckysevens
30-10-2008, 12:22
Thanks for the comments guys.

@ 3Xhume: I am a little concerned about not having the 4th character (either a priest or a chariot-prince), but the army is already pretty small, and would need to be smaller to fit him in. Dropping the 4th chariot and banner wouldn't be enough, so there would need to be more cuts elsewhere, even for an on-foot priest/prince with no items at all. So far in the games I've played with it it hasn't actually been too bad - I can still push through some incants if I focus on only a couple of things per turn. I think I'll suffer in terms of defence, but looking at the army book, there aren't too many things I can do about that - the max I can get is 6DD (with a HLP), MR (2) on one unit and a bunch of scrolls.

@ Sevensins: I find it tricky to get the tone of these battle reports right - in my view, you either go 'internal'/fluffy, or 'external'/analytical. Normally I find I drift uncomfortably between the two - this time I tried to keep it straight, sticking to the game rather than 'the battle'. Anyway, it kept me entertained through a slow day at work, and that's the main thing :)