PDA

View Full Version : harliquin detachment ideas

damz451
17-11-2005, 18:40
im wantin to make a detachment for my dark eldar army of harliquins, im wanting to use them instead of elites (since they are simply wyches with 4+ inv save and better in cc)

im wanting to use a solitaire with a d field (means enemy needs a 6 to hit in cc), phase field (allows up to 3 d6 movement plus its 12 inch blitz attack will be nice), power weapon, power blade (1 extra attack) and tangle foot grenades (means enemy can only retreat 1d6 if it fails combat.

so its stats would be 6 attacks, possibly 12 if it charges a gd distance, and insta kills if it wounds.

the wargear points are 74, but im not sure whether to swap the power weapon for a harliquins kiss, harliquins kiss wounds auto on a 2+ and with the ammount of attacks it can get i guess that most units in contact with it would die fairly easily.

also a plasma grenade for enemies in cover

i also thought about swapping the plasma pistol for a shurikan pistol with explosive ammo (works like dark eldar stinger) or even a neuro disrupter (strength 8 and uses leadership of enemy to wound) which would make mincemeat of some enemies before it charges into cc.

so its points could be around 140.

thats one of 3 elite choices done lol

death jesters now, thiking of using shrieker cannons, sounds like fun and especially if an unlucky space marine messes up a savign throw, but since its a blast marker explosion it mite only affect one model :(, brightlances could be interesting, especially as an assualt weapon.

for a 3rd choice i mite jsut get a second solitaire or death jester unit. or possibly a normal harliquin unit, any suggestions for it?

Aryakas
23-11-2005, 16:57
I wasn't aware DE could take Harlequins as allies... or that Harlequins were really still around, everyone I know refuses to play against them.

starlight
23-11-2005, 17:14
Sadly few people play Harlequins for any reasons other than Power, thus most people won't play against them, unless they are regular gaming friends.:(

Harlequins don't have an *official* list, just the old CJ44 one, which is a *bit* out of date.

I just use the Wych Cult rules and leave it at that.

grey_painter
23-11-2005, 17:15
They are a seperate army from the journals. And my understanding is there are no rules for taking harlies as allies for eldar or dark eldar. You'd have to take them as a seperate detachment which means 1 HQ and 2 Troops minimum (I don't use allies so could be wrong).

Certainly wouldn't take 2 solitaries, cheeky get:p

damz451
23-11-2005, 22:33
They are a seperate army from the journals. And my understanding is there are no rules for taking harlies as allies for eldar or dark eldar. You'd have to take them as a seperate detachment which means 1 HQ and 2 Troops minimum (I don't use allies so could be wrong).

Certainly wouldn't take 2 solitaries, cheeky get:p

there is a codex harlequins for 3rd edition on the uk games workshop site under the eldar section....., also solitaires are 0-1 only

starlight
23-11-2005, 22:59
Yes that *Codex* is a reprint of the CJ44 article and is opponents permission.:(

And Solitare = 0-1, thus the name.:rolleyes:

The closest we can get to a Harlequin list using current rules is the DE Wych Cult list.:( I'm hoping that seeing more might prod GW in the right direction. Even if it's just a variant list within Codex: DE that has some boosts and Harlequin only Wargear. Kind of like an *Elite of the Elite* list. Here's hoping.:D

Orcdom
24-11-2005, 05:32
anyone that refuses a game against them dont need to be an opponett for anyones game. the harlequins are at a disadvantage right off the bat with numbers. and 1 transport that IIRC costs more than a raider and just as dangerous.
yes they are close combat beasts, but thats it, if they have a sustained assault they wont survive very long.

i am painting my harlequins right now between making terrain and painting some gothic. you need a long break in between painting harlies.
but my harlequin troupe has about 50 harlequins in it, a pretty sizeable army.

Steve

Hate Train
24-11-2005, 06:02
I don't think Harlequins would associate with the Dark Eldar at all, as the Dark Eldar are hedonic, practicing the ways that lead to the Great Fall. And since Harlequins associate with the Laughing God, there's no way they'd be willing to associate with those hedonic imbeciles.

...I think. In fact I'm fairly sure.

starlight
24-11-2005, 06:47
Harlequins will support any action that furthers *their* goals. They do *not* support DE, they may work *in concert* for a brief time, but it is the goal that they seek, not to assist the DE directly in any way.

There is *speculation* that the Harlequins (perhaps only some) may be trying to *save* some or all of the DE.

Orcdom: I agree that refusing the Harlequins is like refusing a 500pt advantage, but some people are like that.:rolleyes:

ExoCowboy
24-11-2005, 07:28
I thought that harlequins had an agenda of uniting the eldar. If so, it would be very ok to use them with DE.

What I am sad of that people take just the cream of the army, like the solitaires (über-boosted to take out anything) to gain advantage over their enemy, without taking for example normal troupes into their force. Solitaires must be rare in the group of rare individuals, after all...

TWB
24-11-2005, 10:37
I don't think Harlequins would associate with the Dark Eldar at all

There is a little bit of fluff that says otherwise, aeons ago there was a 40K campaign idea in uk WD (please don't ask me which edition :eek: ). In this campaign an Imperial planetary commander (the planet was of exceptional importance and significance to the pre-fall eldar) killed an eldar ambassador and kept their waystones as trinkets . . . . Cutting a long story short . . . The eldar captured him and handed him over to the Harlequins who in turn took him to the Haemonculli so that he may spend an eternity in suffering.

damz451
24-11-2005, 13:27
I don't think Harlequins would associate with the Dark Eldar at all, as the Dark Eldar are hedonic, practicing the ways that lead to the Great Fall. And since Harlequins associate with the Laughing God, there's no way they'd be willing to associate with those hedonic imbeciles.

well the harlequin codex on page 2 under harlequins in other armies (j44 and on games workshop website) says

" harlequins have been known to fight alongside other Eldar, and in armies of other races. Any craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar or exodites army may include units of harlequins. All harlequin units count as elites in this case, regardless of which catagory they are normally taken from"

i dnt reallly see how this is misleading, it clearly states that dark eldar can use them, infact any race can use them apparently, even tyranids and necrons :wtf: , the rule says they dnt fight alongside each other just attacking at the same time.

Orcdom
24-11-2005, 17:48
IIRC harlequins recruit from from both factions of the eldar.
Steve

crashbang
24-11-2005, 21:57

harlequins recruit their warriors from both, so its neccesary. and they arent exactly the invincible army of doom. i tried a re-do, but it was rejected nastily. i might try that again...

damz451
25-11-2005, 19:43
harlequins get no save from any template weapons since the holo suit cant let them dodge flames. so a few heavy flamers or blast weapons can kill an army of harlequins easily.