PDA

View Full Version : The army that you wish that you played...

The SkaerKrow
24-10-2008, 19:15
...and why you aren't playing it?

As a break from the "Who should get cut/who do you dislike" threads, I thought I'd try something different. Which army in Warhammer 40K do you wish that you played/owned...and why don't you?

For me, it's the Imperial Guard. As I explained so ineloquently to a friend of mine last Monday "there's just something undeniably cool about dudes and tanks." Expanding on that sentiment a bit, there's something uniquely heroic about a group of average soldiers fighting against the horrors of the universe. The Space Marines have Power Armor, (comparatively) high technology and bio-engineering to see them through, and they're all but bred for war. The Imperial Guard have the cheapest equipment that the planetary governor can buy, and are not professional soldiers or super humans. They're just men, men fighting for what needs defended.

The reason why I don't play them is one purely of logistics. Too much to buy, and too much to paint in order to get a force table ready. Still...maybe someday.

Egaeus
24-10-2008, 19:25
...and why you aren't playing it?

As a break from the "Who should get cut/who do you dislike" threads, I thought I'd try something different. Which army in Warhammer 40K do you wish that you played/owned...and why don't you?

Well at one time or another I think I've taken a look at every army and given thought to starting a force of them.

Right now the strongest contenders if I started a new army would probably be Tau or Eldar. Although I do have a 3rd edition Chaos Army Deal that I haven't done anything with...and I could always expand my tank company into a full IG army...see how it goes? :D

Time and money would probably be the biggest reasons. I have a huge backlog of Marines and Tyranids that aren't done yet, and I still want more for those armies even though I have well over 3000 points in each. Plus I haven't actually played in a long time (I keep meaning to, I just never seem to get over to the shop to play). And since I have such an investment in those models already, going out and getting another army doesn't seem all that prudent.

Ubermensch Commander
24-10-2008, 19:31
huh...voted for Eldar...didnt show up on the poll. *shrugs*
The main reason is that I am already playing Dark Eldar and they are similar enough that I cannot justify spending the money on a new army.

Alos, Guard. Would love to play them or Orks just to have a true Horder army. But again...cannot justify spending that kind o money. Instead I will mooch off of my friends and borrow their armies! =)

Also-Horde Armies make the game substantially longer in my opinion.
Set up and Post game clean up take longer as does your movement phase. *plunk* one ork *plunk* two ork *plunk* twentieth ork
Now I am admit I am biased. With the exception of my stealer force, I play armies that are almost if not all in transports.
Quite quick to move and set up and pack up.

Fixer
24-10-2008, 19:31
I really want to make an Imperial Guard army sometime. I love fact they're just normal human beings fighting against impossible odds.

I have the perfect image in my head of what I want to do.

British paras, Falklands war. Supported by Vultures/Valkeries painted up as Sea Harriers.
Need to make berrets, get huge backpacks and green-stuff big moustaches.

There's just so much work involved in making that army though :( I just have to hope that in the future some models will have the bitz I need.

emperorpenguin
24-10-2008, 19:34
Same as the OP, Imperial Guard but just too much to buy and way too much to paint! Closely followed by Sisters of Battle, far too expensive due to lack of plastics

Aurellis
24-10-2008, 19:37
An Imperial Guard army would be great but they're so expensive with so many squads to purchase.

izandral
24-10-2008, 19:39
i'd like eldar , a jetbike army, but i find the model is quite bad , i'm waiting if they're ever gonna release the one we saw a few months back

also orks would be fun but i don't like their look/posture

KaoTiK Dawg
24-10-2008, 19:50
I picked Chaos, I am going to start an army of them soon.. Although money is probably the biggest problem for me.. Thousand sons are expensive! (I played a guard army and... Frankly, it wasnt fun because I just got totally owned every time. I tried different organizations but it was impossible.. Maybe its because I was fighting space marines constantly.. Boltguns + guardsmen = :'( That and it took a half an hour to set up/put away my stuff.)

parus_ater
24-10-2008, 19:55
I wouldn't mind a wee shotty of the Tau, I like the way the models go together. Good for conversion, I reckon.:)

Rombo Baak
24-10-2008, 19:57
I would play Dark Eldar if their fluff and models were up to the level of quality of my bad moon orks.

Leunam
24-10-2008, 19:57
Rather than starting out with Marines, then Imperial Guard, then Orks, then Chaos, then Tau, then Eldar, then Chaos again, then Chaos Daemons, then Marines again, I should have just stuck with Tau.

Luna de hierro
24-10-2008, 19:58
If this poll had a choice for "others" I would probably vote for Kroot.

Jos
24-10-2008, 20:02
Eldars are nice loking, I observed the other day (more like the other year, but anyway). They are also expensive... as GW in general

Sister_Sin
24-10-2008, 20:10
Closest thing for me would be Necrons, simply because I've never played them and only faced them once. Why I don't is that I have enough armies as is and I don't want Necrons that badly.

Sister Sin

Ironmonger
24-10-2008, 20:10
Well, I picked Guard because I'm all about the Imperials. I've already got SoB and Ultramarines about done. I'd love to play DKoK with anything except proxies, but they're soooo expensive, it's taking me forever to get all my units (my new mole launcher came today;)). Maybe in a year...

kardos
24-10-2008, 20:15
Sisters of Battle. i have had 2 armies of them and would do them now but my wife is making the army.
(maybe i can steal them while she goes to work and use them in a tournament)

rintinglen
24-10-2008, 20:17
I would love to have a DKOK army. But money and fear keep me from it ("Seee this squad, honey, it onlly cost $70.00...No, that's all right dear, I am sure the dog will let me sleep in the dog house with him..for the rest of my life).

FashaTheDog
24-10-2008, 20:22
This is easy; Chaos Daemons because they're the only army I do not own/have started building. I have not done so for the fact that it's taken me nearly 20 years to get where I am now and Warmachine and Hordes are calling me to start and expand a Cryix and Everblight warband, respectively. I also need to add a little to my Vampire Counts (those Thriller zombies (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140788&highlight=thriller+zombies) are always on hold) and paint more Goblins. And now all other projects are on hold so I can get a Banelord finished and painted for a 40K scale game of Adeptus Titanicus that should be played in November at my LGS.

EmperorEternalXIX
24-10-2008, 20:30
I'd love to play Guard, simply because with them tactical excellence wins the day.

But I am not painting that many individual men to any presentable level. I simply don't have the patience...

Hicks
24-10-2008, 20:37
Night Lords, but I fear they'd play too much like my 2 marine armies and the upgrade kits are insanely expensive. They have always interrested me with their background and color scheme, but when I read Lord of the Night, I really almost started them.

FashaTheDog
24-10-2008, 20:41
Hicks, read McNeill's Dark King and then you will start a Night Lords army, I did.

CommissarKlink
24-10-2008, 21:27
Imperial Guard

Limited funds, limited storage space, greatcoat plastics not out yet.

Someday...

LightedDark
24-10-2008, 21:28
I voted Sisters bacause the models are pretty and the rules look interesting. But I can't get behind the belief in the emperor. Just doesn't work for me.

Getifa Ubazza
24-10-2008, 21:41
It would be Dark Eldar for me.

As soon as the new codex is out, im getting it and the army will be on its way.

I love them, as they look great and are just as easy to paint as marines, with the exception of Wyches. Just wish GW would do them now, so i can do the army. I want to do a horde of Warriors, backed up by some Wyches.

Dangersaurus
24-10-2008, 22:01
I voted Dark Eldar. I like the look of a few of the models (bikes, transports, even the warriors with some trimming), but the rest just look terrible. I'm waiting to see if they'll have new models before I buy a bunch and start converting.

To be truthful, I'd also like to play with my Squats, but I hate the 2nd edition list and don't have any good ideas on what to count them as in 5th.

Iceheart2112
24-10-2008, 22:04
I went with Tyranids. I like the models, I'd like to try the playstyle, but the army that I'd want to play would just be a pain to put together, both money wise and painting wise.

Max Jet
24-10-2008, 22:09
Oh I would like to play the Imperial guard and I absolutely have the patience to build such an army (all of my gaunts are converted slightly or at least bend into a different pose AND painted to an adequate standard)

The thing that turns me off are the tanks. I mean... I do not like a single one of them (Leman Russ? URGH... Chimera? No! Basilisk? Nope...) except some of the Forgeworld ones but they are too expensive. And my GW store won't let me play with 1:35 Models.

@Iceheart2112

Well I was clever and bought all my Tyranids from closing Fantasy stores or online retailers. (Buy with your buddies and save the shipment costs).
But I've got to agree.. nowadays the models are just too expensive and I wouldn't buy them, even at discount. But who knows?
Keep an eye for closing stores.

Overt_Spy
24-10-2008, 22:17
The McTyranids for me. I love their models, love their fluff, love their distinctly alien feel...

I don't currently play them because I'm currently doing two other armies, those being Tau and Space Marines. Once I finish both of them (hopefully in a bit more than 7 months time) I'll get kraken on what will be my assault-y nid army of doom.

I see what I did there.... ;)

ColonelCommissar
24-10-2008, 22:36
ehh I kinda wish i stuck with orks, but I love my IG army so w/e

"If you won't serve me on the battlefields then you will serve on the firing line

Waywatcher-
24-10-2008, 22:39
KRIEG!

TOO PRICY, BUT I WANT YOU..........

Waywatcher

Ddraiglais
24-10-2008, 22:46
There are at least four armies that I've wanted to start but haven't. They are DKoK, Eldar, Orks (sort of), and DM.

DKoK are awesome models. I love siege warfare. I would be very happy with them.

I haven't bothered because they are very expensive FW models. I also already have a guard army (traitors, but still guard). Lastly, between my IW and traitors, I already have two siege armies.

Eldar have the most gorgeous minis in the game. I've thought that since 2nd ed. I've been tempted to do a fast moving Iyanden army. It would be something different from my usual huge guns blow everything up before a massive assault deal that I have with my IW, TG, and Legio Mortis armies.

The biggest reason I haven't done this army is that the FW vampires are expensive. Wraithguard in the numbers I would need would also be very pricy. I also need to finish the three armies I already have.

When I get closer to finishing my three existing armies, I will do an Ork army. It will actually be beastmen and other mutants. It will just use the Ork rules. I haven't done it yet because I think working on three armies is enough for now.

I will also eventually start a Dark Mechanicus army to round out my total Chaos force. Again, it'd just put way too much on my plate at one time. I don't know what rules I would use either. Hopefully GW or FW will put out some decent rules for AdMech before I start this army.

Amnar
24-10-2008, 22:47
IG for me, mostly for the reasons already stated. I already paint quite slowly, if I undertook guard it would be ready for the tabletop sometime after 6th edition..

LususNaturae
24-10-2008, 23:13
Dark Eldar.

I've always been fascinated by them. But, I don't have the funds to start another army (I have Nids and Eldar) so Eldar will be enough to satisfy my pointy-eared cravings.

Supremearchmarshal
24-10-2008, 23:21
Orks, I just love the image of a huge green tide sweeping across the battlefield!
But I have neither money nor storage space for another army. :cries:

Dark Empire
24-10-2008, 23:48
I supposose I want to be the one hated here so I'll just state that I was one of the three that voted Necrons. I happen to think they look cool. The reason why I'm not gonna is because I'm going to be 100 years old before I finish painting everything I have now and i don't particularly like being spit at when I walk into a tourney.

sorienor
25-10-2008, 00:44
I don't have more armies because I don't have more money :D

kishvier
25-10-2008, 00:46
Eldar, I always have a tough time countering their speed with my CSM gunline. Glory to chaos and the dice gods!

victorpofa
25-10-2008, 00:49
Orders Militant Inquisition for me. All metal. I could buy 2-3 armies for what a force of Grey Knights and Sisters would cost me. My budding Guard or Space Marines could do straight Inquisition with an Inquisitor Lord so I don't count that. No Apocalypse Deals on these metals plus the recent price hike ensure I won't do them until they get redone in plastic. Now back to painting Orks and Guard. :p

Sidstyler
25-10-2008, 00:50
Eh, Orks. I love Orks. The only reason I'm not playing them now instead of Tau are the models...they hadn't gotten their update yet when I got into 40k and it was looking like they probably wouldn't for a while to come.

Now they have and they're getting a lot of new, awesome models and I'm starting to ever-so-slightly regret my decision. I feel I should have gone with them in the first place because I would have been rewarded for it later. But I like my Tau, though.

kishvier
25-10-2008, 00:51
Well you can always play and collect two armies! I have a number of armies, most are just 500-1000 points, my main being a bit over 2000 in total (CSMs! The greatest!).

HsojVvad
25-10-2008, 01:04
I would love to play GK but it's so expensive, points wise but more money wise to collect a great bunch of GK.

Col. Tartleton
25-10-2008, 01:09
As a big fan of the 19th century style of just about everything, I think making a fully steam-punked Demiurge force using the... Tau list.

Steam powered war walkers with tig ol' boiler powered jet packs would be a magical moment in war gaming. Not to mention mechanized suits with well trimmed eccentric facial hair. Drop some runes and victorian script on everything, paint some rust and coal stains... MAGIC!

Triggerdog
25-10-2008, 02:04
I cant seem to bring myself to play any non-Imperial army. Seriously. I've tried my damnedest but I cant seem to stick with any army. Not even dark angels because of their semi-heretical past.

Khornies & milk
25-10-2008, 03:07
I used to wish that the DH army I played was as competitive... (read decent enough to hold its own against most other armies out there without having to be the best freaking General in the universe, and having way above average dice-rolls for both shooting/assault attacks and armour saves)..., until I gave up on them.

Now my wish for a new army would be a full - blown Nidzilla.

maybe one day.

Filthy O'Bedlam
25-10-2008, 05:11
I would love to have a Tau army. The models are some of the best that GW make, and they play completely differently from my mostly close combat CSM's. The only think holding me back is a complete and utter lack of money.

Cheers, Filthy

Warpcrafter
25-10-2008, 05:32
I voted for Necrons, because of the stuff I've heard about their rumored upcoming Codex. Tomb spiders being upgraded so that they are essentially a metal Carnifex, more Lord choices. Unfortunately, I've got eighty Ork Boyz, two scratch buily plastic dreads to paint. Maybe next spring.

weissengel86
25-10-2008, 06:48
I want to play Witch-hunters, A custom Space Marine chapter and Imperial Guard. Im not playing them because I have no money whatsoever and simply cannot afford models. I can barely afford to pay for gas, insurance, and school so IM just SOL until i get far enough in my schooling to ge a job in the field :(

gantrakk
25-10-2008, 09:26
Elysian drop troops, but with all the squads coming down in Valkyrie and a few Vulture Gunship support helicopter assault style, but unfortunatly I am not rich and flyers are not fully integrated into the rule set so would be unfair and annoying for others.

jason_sation
25-10-2008, 18:03
I'd love to play Tau. I like the models, and the idea of the army being a mobile shooty army. I just haven't gotten into them because I want to keep adding to my Guard army.

If I had the money I would like to make a mech Guard army full of Grenadiers/Stormtroopers, and Chimeras. I love the Kasrkin models, and I'm interested in an elite Guard army. It seems weird to me to think about when there is already an elite human army (SM) who kick butt!

Dexter099
25-10-2008, 18:15
I voted for Necrons, because they're the only 40k army that interests me besides Chaos and Dark Eldar. (and nids, but I stopped playing them)

I am waiting for the new codex for them, then I will see if I want to start yet another army. Also waiting for new Dark Eldar Codex.

luchog
25-10-2008, 19:33
Sisters of Battle and Dark Eldar. The former I don't currently play because they're simply too expensive, and I haven't finished my Eldar yet. The latter I don't, because I'm waiting for the long-overdue codex and model updates.

the neckbone
25-10-2008, 22:08
No one here plays ork cause their old rules are naff and its too pricy to start from scratch to build a new one. I know of one chick who is building one thats it.
I wish I had like a hundred of the buggers so i could make an armie with them cause their new rules are a turn on.

Eldoriath
25-10-2008, 22:33
Imperial Guards.
I have plenty of guards lying around, but they are in a kind of poor state. Mould lines left on them, half are only half-assembled and practically none are painted. Started with the guard, but with time i have gotten better (and a bit more picky) about how my models look. So my guard would need some major work just to get away the mould lines, and then i would need to find some suitable spray-paint to make their base color, then paint it all up and do some washing. The painting wouldn't be as mush work as my fallen currently are taking, which i also want to get finished real good before i go onto my next projekt.
Besides, i want to do an IG infantry hord army, and with current codex that feels kind of.... bad/boring.

the1stpip
25-10-2008, 22:53
I want to play SoB, but I need lots of Rhinos / Immolators and lots of sisters, and they are expensive.

I am collecting them, but I currently have 4 sisters and a Canoness.

parus_ater
25-10-2008, 23:01
Two words, mate....

Penitant Engine:)

I play Sisters and the best thing about them s that they've saved me money. I don't have to retire old minis that don't measure up to my improving painting skill but strip and repaint. I'm currently repainting them all again and I haven't bought a 'Sister for five years!

Death Korp
25-10-2008, 23:10
2 words. Imperial Guard.

I love the Imperial Guard. The image of infantry and tanks setting up a firing line and blasting anything near by to bits is too good to pass up. The models are ace, and get alot of love from Forge World. I have bits and pieces of guard (not enough to make a legal army mind you :D ) including 4 Leman Russ battle tanks and a malcador.

But, they are expensive (especially FW stuff), have so many different army ideas, and i have 4 SM/CSM armies (Ultras, Iron Warriors, Blood Angels and Black Templars). But i'll have my 120 raving Catachan army and a Siege Krieg army one day...

DK

Gazak Blacktoof
25-10-2008, 23:12
Good question and its interesting to see the guard getting so many votes.

For me it would be either Tau or Eldar. I've wanted to an army of either for ages and haven't been able to yet. I voted for eldar in the poll as its the army I'd like to get first but I'm still unsure what kind of eldar army I'd like first.

Slinky grav-tanks vs Dinosaurs- that's a decision no man should ever be asked to make.

If I ever get an imperial army I'd go for the full on dark-gothic option and get a witch hunters force.

Miggidy Mack
25-10-2008, 23:15
I answered Space Marines, simply because I could make my own chapter and would get SOME kind of new codex every year by simply counting as the latest book.

In actuality though I wish I had picked up a Cygnar army instead of my 6k of inquisition.

__ALEX__
25-10-2008, 23:19
hm, are Catachans still a legal army? if not I would've loved to have played them when they were legal with their special chars/rules. I have a stack of models including both the special characters but they're not even opened (and at my old house 4000 miles away lol).

also, I wished I had played more 6-7 years ago when armies were cheaper :)

Lord Cook
25-10-2008, 23:26
Oddly enough, Tau. I really like the idea of a high tech mechanized force, and marker lights are cool. But the kind of "all-out shooting" play style is really too similar to Guard, and I struggle to maintain enthusiasm for any non-Guard army for extended periods of time.

Gazak Blacktoof
25-10-2008, 23:29
Ah but you can have rebel guard and Tau, that's my plan when I get around to doing a Tau force. I want auxiliaries of as many non-Tau species as possible and that includes humans.

sydbridges
26-10-2008, 01:39
Sisters of Battle.

Why don't I play them? Because they're all metal, all the time.

FashaTheDog
26-10-2008, 07:04
Because they're all metal, all the time.

You make it sound like there's no reason not to play them :).

Sidstyler
26-10-2008, 07:50
I'm surprised so many have voted for IG.

Luckywallace
26-10-2008, 09:35
I'd love to have a Tyranid army, but with a horde Ork army already I just cannot bring myself to (a) spend the money and (b) paint all of those gaunts.

Firaxin
26-10-2008, 10:09
I'm surprised so many have voted for IG.
What did you expect?

a) They are teh winz0r! ;)

b) It costs more money and more time painting/assembling to make an HQ and two troops choices for IG than any other race, including metal armies like SOB.

A and B combined lead to the most cost inhibitive force being highly desirable.
;)

Sidstyler
26-10-2008, 10:34
What did you expect?

a) They are teh winz0r! ;)

b) It costs more money and more time painting/assembling to make an HQ and two troops choices for IG than any other race, including metal armies like SOB.

A and B combined lead to the most cost inhibitive force being highly desirable.
;)

A) That's not what I've heard.

B) Yeah I forgot about DKoK, that's probably where all the IG votes are going.

TimLeeson
26-10-2008, 10:45
I wish this poll had an "other" option - id love to play :

Kroot Mercs (Not enough options, metals are too expensive).
Zoats/Space Slaan (its the rogue trader nostalgia).
Q'orl, Umbra (They dont HAVE any models, shame as the xenology book was my intro to 40k).
Death Korps (too expensive for me).
Tyranids (love the ones without legs, dont like the ones with legs).
Dark Eldar (maybe I will when they get a whole new miniature range).

Razarael
26-10-2008, 10:54
I went with Chaos Daemons.

I play Eldar and Orks, and I really like the Daemon models. A mixed chaos god army led by a Lord of Change would be really pretty on the battlefield. I wouldn't include any Slaanesh stuff until Seeker models and that new Daemon Prince were available.

I like just about all the models except for the Daemonettes. If they were riding something, they'd be a bit more acceptable, I think.

As to why I'm not collecting them - I live in a small town in Japan where Warhammer is completely unheard of. When I get back to North Carolina, I will blow the load on Warhammer.

Sleby
26-10-2008, 11:15
Well I really want to make an entire Blood Angels company. I'm just waiting for the company box to be re-released...

Dogsby
26-10-2008, 11:42
DE's codex and modells are too old.

Eryx_UK
26-10-2008, 11:49
I like the idea of doing a jungle based IG army, but the sheer number of modals and time it would take turn me straight off the idea. Same goes for Tyranids, which I would also like to do.

MasterGideon
26-10-2008, 11:57
Orks! so badly Orks................. A long Time Ago I remember playing them with the "Ere We Go" rules, so much funny! I must have that fun back in my life!.......

Ironmonger
26-10-2008, 12:13
Well, I picked Guard because I'm all about the Imperials. I've already got SoB and Ultramarines about done. I'd love to play DKoK with anything except proxies, but they're soooo expensive, it's taking me forever to get all my units (my new mole launcher came today;)). Maybe in a year...

Let me amend that just a bit, since I'm in process with my DKoK and this is a 'wish:' AdMech (MAS figures) 'allied' w/ Vostroyans and at least one Warhound:D

SonofUltramar
26-10-2008, 13:00
British paras, Falklands war. Supported by Vultures/Valkeries painted up as Sea Harriers.
Need to make berrets, get huge backpacks and green-stuff big moustaches.

Hope these help

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=130_181&products_id=1092

Oddly enough, Tau. I really like the idea of a high tech mechanized force, and marker lights are cool. But the kind of "all-out shooting" play style is really too similar to Guard, and I struggle to maintain enthusiasm for any non-Guard army for extended periods of time.

I'm the same to be honest, i've actually got a 1000pt Tau army but find it hard to get anything done as they just seem to similar to my Guard.

For me i've really wanted to do is Tyranids as although I have some I just can't make a horde list that seems to work which has put me off for over 6 months now. The only other army i've avoided for now is Necrons as I started with them in 2nd Ed (with the free WD mini) but the current Codex is very dated now although I do like the models.

Earthbeard
26-10-2008, 13:04
Orks.

Love them, but for some reason have never collected an army of them. Various models and stuff, but never as a cohesive army.

But with all these new plastic kits coming up this very well might change.

Lostanddamned
26-10-2008, 13:04
I wish I played a Pure Grey Knights Force, before GW decided that they were going to make all metal armies prohibitively expensive.

EDIT: for a 40 Model army, of which I already have 3 Models, and only one FW peice (gk dread & arms) 244 thank you very much.

Shas'o Zor'bas
26-10-2008, 13:27
I voted for Nids. They've got awesome models and fluff. They are difficult to collect though and I haven't finished my Tau army yet.:cries:

Angelwing
26-10-2008, 17:30
Iyaden eldar. Lots of wraith guard and lords. Far too expensive to collect sadly.

Sir_Turalyon
26-10-2008, 17:35
Squats, for obvious reasons?

Sisters of Battle; they are expansive to collect and there are always other, easier armies to do.

march10k
26-10-2008, 17:43
Thousand Sons. There are two reasons. First, I'm not done enough with my other armies to start a new one just yet (especially tau and sisters, those need a ton of work, but my IG and DA are getting close to "done"). Second, I think their new codex made them a bit cheesy. I liked them a lot more in 4th.

Soupcat
26-10-2008, 19:38
either deathwing or a storm trooper based INQ force

oni
26-10-2008, 20:07
This is kind of an odd question, but I voted Chaos because I don't have a Deamon army and I want one. That's all.

elf_hater_7
26-10-2008, 20:32
tyranids, just because i like the way people can sort of customise their stats, but i hate their character and pretty much all my friends collect them

unclejimbo827
26-10-2008, 20:50
Nids are awesome, but my friend has a tyranid army and I have enough to paint between guard and orks.

26-10-2008, 23:47
Salamanders for me.

I've never really bought into the whole marine thing, especially being an intrinsic Eldar player-note the username. :angel:

But something about Salamanders set them apart from the kinda generic marines...God only knows what, especially considering their low I compared to my usual Eldar fare..!

But the few games I've played proxying...whoa.
Love 'em even more. :evilgrin:

Shangrila
26-10-2008, 23:52
Iron Warriors... There just awesome but unfortunately they no longer exist.

druchii
27-10-2008, 01:35
So it only takes four pages for the origional friend who was told "dudes and tanks..." to reply:

Easily I think orks. Unfortunately I hate painting green and I'd have so many boys on the table I'd never get them done! Not only that but the fact that orks are one of the best (I think THE best) codexes in the game at the moment still diminishes their appeal for me.

d

Phunting
27-10-2008, 02:33
Dark Eldar. Never really had nice enough models to get, but I do like them and would get an army when/if they're redone.

Darkspear
27-10-2008, 02:37
Orks, I really want to play them but I am busy with my current fantasy armies

Rip456
27-10-2008, 02:42
I voted Dark Eldar because I rarely ever see them(maybe once at a tournament)
and to be honest I like the minis to bad my local GS doesnt stock them anymore

Rannos
27-10-2008, 02:48
Imperial Guard, which I would be playing if I had the damned patience to buy, model and paint a 1000pt list. Oh, and make a 1000pt list for them.

Vaktathi
27-10-2008, 04:38
For me?

Orks and SM's, and some IG (I already play IG, but there are so many vastly different lists I would like to try that I just don't have the means to try out)

With respect to Orks, the reason is I just don't want to have to buy and paint everything for them honestly. I'd never actually get the damn thing painted, and I *hate* painting faces.

With SM's, its because that, while the concept is cool, GW has just taken them overboard in every manner, their fluff is terrible in their new book (ultramarines HURR!) their army list is...silly, and quite frankly they are just too much of the "thing" and I just can't get over them being the perpetual "flavor of the month" thing for years on end, some people think that SM's *should* get the bet of everything and be the best army just because they are *Space Marines*. The newer models also just look less and less badass, too many olive branches and Ultramarines markings on everything, I preferred it with just chains, studs, and bare metal with the occasional skull.

Personally, I much preferred the 2nd/3rd edition take on SM's, even if the 3rd edition list sucked, the way SM's were portrayed was much cooler. If this was still their image, I'd probably have an SM army.

Imperialis_Dominatus
27-10-2008, 08:09
Lost and the Damned, with a flavoring of Word Bearers. It's how I see Chaos, rather than Chaos Space Marines all the time.

On that vein, I'd like to do some Night Lords. Purists, of course, under Zso Sahaal. Scary conversions, played in such a fashion as to be intimidating.

I also like Alpha Legion. Mine would be the Xanatos roulette types who are working with all the other cells (even Chaotic ones, Alpha Legion is really tricky ;)) to strengthen the Imperium and eventually bring about the salvation of Mankind.

Cypher with anything too.

An Inquisition force would be cool as well. No Space Marines save the occasional Grey Knight. Lots of crazy Ecclesiarchal stuff.

None of the alien races have much of an attraction for me.

Ianos
27-10-2008, 09:47
Dark Eldar, and i do play Eldar already. Yet most minies suck not to mention their rigid lists and totally outdated codex!

Sidstyler
27-10-2008, 09:56
But something about Salamanders set them apart from the kinda generic marines...God only knows what, especially considering their low I compared to my usual Eldar fare..!

Probably because they're one of the few chapters that take their duty seriously. They take the jobs no one else cares about, they actually defend humanity when most other Marines would rather kill a human for being in their way. And until the new codex they were somewhat of an underdog, no real special rules or characters or anything.

Kulgur
27-10-2008, 10:38
Orks, I'd love to play them, I love their background, but I'd never ever get them painted. Plus they seem rather popular and I tend not to play very popular armies. Heck the armies I played in the last few months consist of Tau, Witch Hunters, Necrons, Chaos Daemons and Dark Eldar

Coasty
27-10-2008, 10:46
Imperial Guard. I hope they bring out Greatcoat-chappies.