Flesh
You will need:
Tallern flesh
Dwarf flesh
Elf flesh
Bestial brown
Scorched brown

1 – Undercoat with a nice thin layer of taller flesh
2 – Then a layer or so of dwarf flesh, making sure everything is nice and covered
3 – Wash with very watered down bestial brown, but don’t let any puddles of paint occur
4 – Line any very deep parts of the flesh with a thin line of scorched brown
5 – Clean up any mistakes for dwarf flesh
6 – Then a high light of 50/50 dwarf and elf flesh
7 – Add white to this until you achieve the flesh tone you want

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/P1010653.jpg

Gold

You will need:
Mithril silver
Shining gold
Devlan mud
Brown ink

Extras (purple ink. Yellow ink)

1 – A good basecoat of mithril silver
2 – A few layers of shining gold to get a nice gold colour
3 – Wash all the gold with shining gold
4 – You might have to go over a few areas again with shining gold because the new washes seem to turn metallic’s into a matt colour
5 – Add a very small amount of mithril silver to shining gold for the first highlight
6 – continue this for as many highlights as you want slowly progressing to pure mithril on the very edges of what you are painting

If you wish the gold to look my showy and bright then just go over with a few very fin layers of watered down yellow ink. Whereas if you want to add more depth to your gold just line in some watered down purple ink.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/P1010668.jpg

Red

You will need:
Scab red
Chaos black
Red blood
Fiery orange

1 – Undercoat of scab red (may need a few layers)
2 – Wash with 50/50 scab red and chaos black
3 – Line with chaos black
4 – Highlight with mixtures of blood red and scab red, what ratios is really up to you personal tastes
5 – If you wish you can also mix fiery orange with this

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/P1010647.jpg

IF THERE IS ANYTHING ELSE YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW TO DO JUST ASK AND I WILL POST HOW TO ALONG WITH SOME PICTURES

bud
24-10-2008, 20:22
that looks good are you going to post a hole army :D

bugbait_nz
24-10-2008, 20:41
Like your reds, might have to try that as I have always ended up with a crappy result.
Thanks

Bugbait out

luna-wolf
25-10-2008, 23:42
heres something i done to try and match the way the studio painted the new crimson fists in the new book.

also if you want to look at the marine army i am doing right now you can have a look by following this link.

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3038559#post3038559

Crimson fists blue

You will need:
Regal blue
Chaos black
Skull white

Just a quick warning that this is a lot harder than I say it is so be warned.

1 – Base coat of chaos black and regal blue mix but don’t make it too dark otherwise the shading won’t work.
2 – Shade all the areas that u think would be covered in shadow with very watered down chaos black.
3 – Then water down regal blue and just high light the top most areas of armour that would are usually nearer the top of the armour as you can see on the picture below.
4 – Then for the finer highlights add skull white to regal blue, this is only to be done in very thin sharp lines.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/P1010681.jpg

El-Diablo
26-10-2008, 00:52
I think you should defiantly keep posting these recipes, the ones you've posted so far are very good and will be a lot of help to people.

luna-wolf
26-10-2008, 12:22
tonight i will be post a few pieces on how to do older looking flesh, black, metal, purity seals and anything else that looks cool on good old cassius.

crandall87
26-10-2008, 13:50
I'm liking this thread. I've always liked the crimson fists and that recipe looks great.

El-Diablo
26-10-2008, 13:52
tonight i will be post a few pieces on how to do older looking flesh, black, metal, purity seals and anything else that looks cool on good old cassius.

Looking forward to this - new techniques are always good.

Comrade Wraith
26-10-2008, 14:01
Okay, who voted against this?? huh? When I find out somone shall be recieving a very direct and poignant letter! Thats right I will!

Anyway, This thread looks to be very helpful, I think everyone, espescially those new to the hobby who sees this will have their skills improved threefold.

Flesh has always been difficult for me, thanks for that!

luna-wolf
26-10-2008, 17:49
Ultramarines armour

You will need:
Mordian blue
Ultramarines blue
Regal blue
Chaos black
Skull white

1 – Base coat of mordian blue
2 – Wash with watered down regal blue
3 – Line in some watered down chaos black
4 – Highlight with just pure ultramarines blue
5 – For the further highlights add skull white to ultramarines blue, but making sure the lighter the blue gets the sharper the highlights get as well.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/P1010669-1.jpg

Cloth

You will need:
Dheneb stone
Bronze flesh
Skull white

1 – Base coat of Dheneb stone
2 – Wash with a very watered down mix of 50/50 Dheneb stone and bronzed flesh
3 – for the highlights just add skull white to Dheneb stone until you achieve the colour you want

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/P1010636-Copy.jpg

Damented
26-10-2008, 18:24
this log is excellent for painting guides
any beginners should come right here
i will be using some of them myself
but first a question ive done my marines in a shadow grey colour, (on my project log) i was wondering what paints i should use to highlight the armour and shpuld i coat with badab black ? could you get back to me
thanks ben
p.s subscribed

luna-wolf
26-10-2008, 19:02
this log is excellent for painting guides
any beginners should come right here
i will be using some of them myself
but first a question ive done my marines in a shadow grey colour, (on my project log) i was wondering what paints i should use to highlight the armour and shpuld i coat with badab black ? could you get back to me
thanks ben
p.s subscribed

thank you

just had a look at your models and from what i can see i think a mixture of either shadow grey and fortress grey, or shadow and space wolves grey.

Damented
26-10-2008, 19:04
thanks for the advice
will you be doing a metal ares tutorial soon by any chance?

luna-wolf
26-10-2008, 19:10
painting it right now

luna-wolf
26-10-2008, 19:26
Metal

You will need:
Chain mail
Inks
Mithril silver

1 – Basecoat of chainmail
2 – then any washes

The best washes are generally dark browns of black. You can either use paints and inks but both have to be incredibly watered down, this may take a few more washes but the end result will be a lot better. Whereas if you want a steel colour as I have below I washed it was greens and blues.

3 – Highlight with chainmail
4 – Final highlight of mithril silver

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/P1010685.jpg

Damented
26-10-2008, 19:39
thanks for that on the metals i find it hard to get the right shadows in there
ill wash with blues and greens from now on

luna-wolf
26-10-2008, 23:52
sorry about no cassius tonight but i got distracted by art coursework

Shadowphrakt
26-10-2008, 23:57
Oooh...very useful :) i have my own methods for certain colours...but these are still helpful! Thanks!

luna-wolf
01-01-2009, 16:29
i thought seeing its a new year, and i havnt posted anything for a very long time thanks to coursework and exams. But because i have a few days with nothing to do, is there anything you guys and girls want any help with, so i can post a few pay bits on here.

alexh
02-01-2009, 10:20
This looks like it will be very useful, thanks for taking the time to share.

wascloud
02-01-2009, 12:46
this is awesome, most helpful, thanks man! if you could, that silver tutorial sounds awesome! a tutorial on a good generic brown would me most awesome
cheers
wascloud

luna-wolf
03-01-2009, 23:41
sadly i havnt got any pics of yet, hopefuly tommorow i will have alot more done including white, and a awsome new way of doing gold i found out.

but any way for normal brown.

you will need:

- scorched brown
- chaos black
- dark flesh
- bestial brown

this has got to be the easiest way of doing brown on earth, and the scary thing is, is that it looks awsome if done properly.

just start with a basecoat of scorched brown, this may probaly need to layers so you can get a good starting colour.

then wash with really thinned down mix of 50% scorched brown and 50% chaos black into all the creases of what ever your painting. clean up any areas you might have accidents with more scorched brown.

high light with dark flesh

then a final hightlight of bestial brown on the very tips of what you are painting.

by the way that is the simply version, which is fast but still looks really nice. if you want it to look even better just mix the colour in between the stages for a much more detailed and better look.

luna-wolf
24-04-2009, 23:12
okay its been a while thanks to a pile of coursework, but iv started a grey knight army so i should be getting a few more painting guards done over the weekend

luna wolf

luna-wolf
26-04-2009, 11:41
Yellow

when i do yellow i spray the model chaos black, then after i dust the model with skull white spray. This will help the paint cover the model better even after the first coat.

you will need:

-Iyanden Darksun
-Sunburst yellow
-Bestial brown
-Skull white

first step:
-undercoat the surface you want to paint yellow with Iyanden Darksun.
second step:
-water down the Iyanden Darksun and add a very small amount of Bestial brown, then you can shade in your miniture.
third step:
-water down Bestial brown and line in areas you see fit to.
fouth step:
-using a 50/50 mix of Iyanden darksun and Sunburst yellow to start highlighting the area you are painting, with my vanguard model i used this mix over all the large surface areas of the armour
last step:
-all i used for the highligts was to add Skull white to the mix above, making sure it progressively got lighter. I also made sure my highlighting was sharp and neat.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/P1010945.jpg

only joking...
26-04-2009, 14:23
Very nice yellow tutorial, will have to try that out on my bad moons. Thanks!

luna-wolf
10-06-2009, 18:51
a sneak peak of what i am working on for golden daemon at the moment.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/P1010966-Copy.jpg

if anyone wants to know how any of it is done feel free to ask.

Ben

Shadow Fall
10-06-2009, 19:03
Woohoo more peeps going GD!

Would be good to see peeps there so i can see the models in the flesh! (not literally though, more of 'in the plastic/metal' and it would be good to see their amazing painters :) )

SF :chrome:

Caprosmaster
11-06-2009, 12:24
hi there

keep on going !!!!!!!

i know they have been done to deathm, but i can understand your tutorials, how about a NMM one?

Rirekon
11-06-2009, 12:36
Some really useful info here (and some amazing painting) - thank you for sharing and keep it up :)

One thing I would like to know is how to paint darker skin tones, they never turn out well for me

eltanko
11-06-2009, 13:57
definately keep this going LUNA

can you give me any advice on painting Emperors Children?
i was thinking, base of black
coat of mechrite red
then sunrise red (pink)
wash of purple wash
raised areas with pink again
and then edges with a mix of pink/white
sound ok?

ElTanko

Lu&Pu
11-06-2009, 21:59
Carry on with this! Always nice to see how people achieve such good paintjobs.

In deed an explanation on NMM would be ace.

no-use4a-name
12-06-2009, 11:34
I say carry on. It's always interesting, and often helpful, to see how other painters do things.

luna-wolf
12-06-2009, 17:14
thanks for all the support, i will hopefuly be posting a tutorial on NMM tonight at somepoint, and also tonight all of this thread will be making its first appearence on Bolter and Chainsaw.

Ben

luna-wolf
12-06-2009, 19:18
Non Metalic Gold

First of i do have to warn you that this is my first ever attempt at trying to do non metalics, so proberly isnt the best thing to show you lot.

and sorry about the really bad picture, but it kept doing it wen i was cropping the picture.

You Will Need:
-bronzed flesh
-bestial brown
-chaos black
-ivory or a mix of bleached bone and white
-skull white

1-basecoat of bronzed flesh, didnt take that many coats for me because for once i used a white basecoat, mainly because i have ran out of blac spray but oh well.
2-start adding bestial brown to bronzed flesh and start washing in where you think there will be any shadows, if you have trouble trying to work out where the shadows are then i found a lil trick is using a lamp as your light source, then just use the very watered down paint to shade in the areas covered by shadow.
3-then for the deepest shadows i added small amounts of chaos black to this mix to shade in the deeper shadows on the armour, once again making sure the paint is really watered down, kinda like milk.
4-to neaten up the armour i went back to bronzed flesh and just blended in any parts of the armour i thought was abit messy, of course you only do this on the armour hit by light.
5-to start highlight the armour i used a Vallego paint (ivory), though you can easily reproduce this colour be just using bleach bone and skull white and making a cream colour about the same colour as white. You just keep adding this colour to bronzed flesh and slowly start highlighting the edges, and making sure the highlights get sharper and sharper as the highlights get lighter
6- just pure ivory was then applied to edges of the foot
7-finaly skull white was used to just highlight th corners of the armour and used to put 2 mall white dots at the bottom of the foot to show where the light was coming from.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/P1010972-1.jpg

Caprosmaster
13-06-2009, 02:00
thast awesome thanks a lot, dont worry about the picture, its fine

Karlon
13-06-2009, 02:53
I'm going to give the earlier silver-gold a shot on my Tomb Kings. Its much harder to get a bright gold than I imagined.

Dark_and_Pointy
13-06-2009, 04:46
Any hints for a salamanders scheme.?

Lu&Pu
17-06-2009, 22:12
Thank you luna-wolf, now some things are way more clear to me. ^^

Tough some questions, you used brown and its lighter and darker derivates to achieve a golden NMM, does that mean it is more or less necessary to start with grey for a silver NMM?
What would be better to undercoat with? Black draws natural shadows, something I likely use, white is a mess a) to undercoat b) to get shadows into for me. Especially since I donīt own all paints (GW is getting more expensive everytime I visit my shop...) and I somewhat dislike GW washes and Foundationpaints. (Tried them but wasnīt really satisfied since a) I think I could get a bit lazy with them and use the washes like Quickshade or something alike and b) I donīt really see benefits by using Foundations.)

Many words for short message...ah well...

Cheers

luna-wolf
17-06-2009, 22:36
Thank you luna-wolf, now some things are way more clear to me. ^^

Tough some questions, you used brown and its lighter and darker derivates to achieve a golden NMM, does that mean it is more or less necessary to start with grey for a silver NMM?
What would be better to undercoat with? Black draws natural shadows, something I likely use, white is a mess a) to undercoat b) to get shadows into for me. Especially since I donīt own all paints (GW is getting more expensive everytime I visit my shop...) and I somewhat dislike GW washes and Foundationpaints. (Tried them but wasnīt really satisfied since a) I think I could get a bit lazy with them and use the washes like Quickshade or something alike and b) I donīt really see benefits by using Foundations.)

Many words for short message...ah well...

Cheers

well i only use white undercoats occasionaly when i know i will be doing alot of shading because its alot easier to see where you have shaded because the colour your doing it on is lighter. But it can still easily be done over a black undercoat, and the thing with nmm silver is that yes you do start with grey, but you shade it in with proggressivly darker blues, best wat to do it is have a picture of polished silver in front of you and use it for reference. I also know what you mean by the washes, i hate them, it kills me sitting there in my local GW store, and theres a certain staff member called matt he uses them for all his painting lessons with the kids and the models look awful. Though luckily when he disapears off to do something else i quickly show though them how to do it properly but also keeping it really easy, which has ended in a few times with me running painting lessons all day. But as for the foundation paints i think their really good, as you can see i have used them alot through out this thread, because of the small amount of coats you need and because most of them are really natural colours soo by washing them in with brown or purple ink you end up with a really nice affect. Meaning im going to have to at some point now take a picture of the gamesday model i have done which is nurgle. But anyway this too was meant to be a short ansaw but oh well i hope this has ansawed your questions.

Ben

Lu&Pu
17-06-2009, 22:56
Definitely got my answers Luna. Though it is scary that you run painting lessons in your local GW, you are not going to be payed for, are you?

Well nevertheless thanks for your answers. A little wish for next time would be a better pic, the NMM is visible enough on yours but I guess you can do better (pictureing I mean).

What are you going to paint next?

Cheers

luna-wolf
17-06-2009, 23:03
well im working on my golden demon entrys at the moment, but their top secret and wont be making an appearence on here either the morning of gamesday or when i get back, but apart from that im carrying on with the NMM on the saint model, and its scarily looking alot better than that one foot, if it turns out better then il put it on here as well. And the thing about the picture was that it was nice and clear, until i had to crop the silly thing which made it blurry, but when i have the NMM on the whole model finished it means no cropping soo there will be a good picture. Plus it is scary running painting lessons, i wish i got paid, but sadly im 16 and GW only employs age 18+.

Lu&Pu
17-06-2009, 23:14
Well I guess I just have to wait until I see your Gamesday entries. I just look forward to it. And Iīm curious on how the NMM turns out on the whole model. ^^

So you are 16? Well...I slightly feel ashamed Iīm 20 (the PU part of our account) and well see the marines and guard in our log...though the farseer and the deathjester were painted by me too.
Even if you would work for GW I, at least in Germany wouldnīt recommend it, they somehow have new personal everytime I visit the GW near me (once in two months).

So congrats on your painting skills. ;-)

luna-wolf
17-06-2009, 23:24
Well I guess I just have to wait until I see your Gamesday entries. I just look forward to it. And Iīm curious on how the NMM turns out on the whole model. ^^

So you are 16? Well...I slightly feel ashamed Iīm 20 (the PU part of our account) and well see the marines and guard in our log...though the farseer and the deathjester were painted by me too.
Even if you would work for GW I, at least in Germany wouldnīt recommend it, they somehow have new personal everytime I visit the GW near me (once in two months).

So congrats on your painting skills. ;-)

you shouldnt be ashamed of anything, i think both of your models look really nice, and i really like your farseer model which happened to want me to get out my 2k worth of eldar i started to paint. But thank god i restrained myself because i have soo much stuff i should be getting on with, plus i should have the armour finished tommorow because i have the whole morning off, then an exam in the afternoon which is my LAST ONE, then lots of painting down GW during vets night.

sirius42
18-06-2009, 01:37
Maybe you should consider finishing one of your marines you're working on before breaking out the eldar. Did you go to the shop today? will see you in there tomorrow and you can see the damage crappy lighting has done. Nice guide you have here, you should put up a list of recomended vajello paints to own to accompany it. see you tomorrow.

Lu&Pu
18-06-2009, 22:30
Well I think I keep being ashamed for a short while. :chrome:

sirius42 made good suggestions, get some stuff done and then switch to an Eldar unit. painting different things helps keeping track. Everytime I feel annoyed by my marines I switch to my IG and backwards. Though Iīm a real lazy one. :rolleyes:

Second thought of sirius was good aswell, what paints (brand) and what colors do you suggest and were do you think are the paints of one brand better than ones of another?
For exmple I bought a bottle Vallejo Scar Red a while back, on the website it was mentioned it has the same tone as GW Scab Red. Well it wasnīt but Scar Red is just nuance lighter/brighter than Scab Red so I found my highlighting color for Scab Red.
Hope you understand what I mean. ^^

luna-wolf
19-06-2009, 00:14
definately keep this going LUNA

can you give me any advice on painting Emperors Children?
i was thinking, base of black
coat of mechrite red
then sunrise red (pink)
wash of purple wash
raised areas with pink again
and then edges with a mix of pink/white
sound ok?

ElTanko

with the colours your using i think you should start off with basecoat of 50/50 mechrite red and sunrise red. Then wash this with purple, then for the first highlight add more sunrise red to the mix you used for the base coat, a mix of 75/25 should do, then for the final highlighting of just picking out the sharpest edges use pure sunrise red. Adding white to colours other than cream or grey is a bad idea because you end up with a really chalky colour which then doesnt match the colour you are highlighting. somewhen on the weekend i might post a massive list of colours then the colours which are best used to mix with them for highlighting, which i hope you lot lose because i will most likely end up destroying my soul thinking of every colour. But any way i hope that helps mate.

Dark_And_Pointy

When i have some time il sit down and mess around for a few colours for you, because i have a few ideas but i will see which one is best for you and is more army painting friendly.

Lu&Pu

sirius42 happens to be a good friend down my local GW and us two have a friendly rivalry when it comes to painting, but seeing he has now gone out and brought some vallego paints and im going to be writing up a list of the best ones so i will post that on here as well. Also im leaving to go to canada for 2 weeks on the 29th of this month, but when i get back im going to be investing in alot more different paints, mainly the P3 collection from priveteer press. But dont worry i will keep you lot updated on good paints from all companies.

Ben

Lotoc_Sabbath
19-06-2009, 08:59
really nice, great work

keep going on!

sirius42
23-06-2009, 12:33
As a starter for your colour list i'm going to suggest vajello ivory, its an epically good colour with so many uses. Anyway you should put up a pic of your battle barge at some point, tis a fine example of BFG painting, also do you mind if I add stuff to this thread?

luna-wolf
10-12-2010, 23:56
I know it has been awhile since i last posted on here :P but college has kept me pretty busy lately specially with applying to universisties. But after i managed to make the cut in the open catagory at golden daemon UK this year thought i should get round to posting some more pictures again on here. Feel free to ask any questions and i will try my best to reply as quickly as i can :).

Firstly here is the model i entered into the open catagory, was just meant for a painting competiton down my local GW but after two weeks work i was really happy and GD wasnt far away so i thought sod it might as well enter it in and see what happens.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/new%20stuff/warseeruploads008.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/new%20stuff/warseeruploads006.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/new%20stuff/warseeruploads004.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/new%20stuff/warseeruploads011.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/new%20stuff/warseeruploads010.jpg

luna-wolf
10-12-2010, 23:59
Now for some of the space wolves i had done lately for my army.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/new%20stuff/warseeruploads001.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/new%20stuff/warseeruploads019.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/new%20stuff/warseeruploads020.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/new%20stuff/warseeruploads017.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/new%20stuff/warseeruploads015.jpg

luna-wolf
11-12-2010, 00:01
And finally the test model which will eventually turn into my 2k high elf army, though it will involve painting two units of 30 phoenix guard which should be interesting :P

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/new%20stuff/warseeruploads012.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/luna-wolf_photos/new%20stuff/warseeruploads013.jpg