PDA

View Full Version : Hint for a SM army colour and theme

Orwin
24-10-2008, 19:26
Hi,

I'm intending to design a colour scheme for introducing a friend to the hobby. It must be very fast to paint and, at the same time, draw attention while on the table. The idea i had so far was painting a SM entirely on light gold or a reddish brass and then paint with other colors the eyes, bolter, seals and any organic structure that there may be. The rest will be covered with the main colour, still to be chosen.

I'm working right now on a prototype that is entirely golden with green or red eyes, have yet to decide, and a black bolter, with only metallic parts and insigniae painted on other colours. I'll later post a picture of the unfinished prototype so you guys and maybe girls can have an idea of what i'm talking.

I also tried to shade it heavily and use the excess ink as a kind of weathering effect.

Concerning fluff, i'm thinking on an army of automatons operated by a recent discovered IA technology and at the service of the Machine Cult.

Oh, sorry for the bad pictures, i'm still new to using this camera and, on two of them, the focus was on my fingers rather on the miniature's face.

http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sdc10011ba6.jpg

http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sdc10009wl4.jpg

Tokamak
24-10-2008, 19:31
Not really a fan of gold marines, I've seen them before.

Though for gold, be sure to wash it with a purple or green wash. Gives much deeper result.

Number 24
24-10-2008, 22:01
Gold Marines take too long to paint (if you want them to look good, they need the right highlighting and shading). To get a good gold for large areas, you need to basecoat in brown or something else non-metalic, then only put one good layer of the gold on top of that, wash with something brownish (I like the sepia wash myself) and then highlight with thinned silver. Your gold is on really thick. Thin it or use fewer coats of it (or both). And highlight with silver to give it a specular look at the edges, it breaks up the gold mass and makes it look more three-dimensional.

I'm in the process of starting my first marine chapter: I went for a cavalry theme because I plan to use a lot of bikes. I went for a Polish cavalry (long under-appreciated piece of military history) like scheme.

So the marines are basically a darkish blue (not royal blue, not midnight blue... I'm using Vallejo's Prussian Blue shades (dark basecoat, lighter dry brush) which look great) with velvety red highlights on the shoulder pads and lower legs (and parts of the back pack). It takes very little time to paint. The bulk of the marine can be dry brushed and washed with good results. Most of the time I spend on the marines is spent on the details (bags, grenades, weapons, faces for sergeants, etc). The main colors go on really quickly.

I'd say go for a simple two-color scheme to keep them from looking too flat, but use the second color sparingly (like Crimson Fists sparingly). Dry brush one layer and wash for shadows and you can get good results with very little work (the new Citadel washes are great for this). Then you can decide for yourself how much time you want to spend on the details.

Grendrill
25-10-2008, 05:14
Well thats much the same colour scheme I started to use for my first Marines, which I started after reading David Gemmell's 'Troy' and I based them around the Trojan Horse (Troy's elite warriors). Which was bronze and gold armour.

I did a whole squad and yeah... The idea seemed good but after a while they didn't look that great and took too long to paint, so I scrapped it and went with the UM.

Inquisitor Engel
25-10-2008, 07:03
Back on Portent, Tulkas made some EXCELLENT Celestial Lions, an entire army I believe.

If he's still around, he might still have them hosted somewhere - look there for inspiration - failing that, Celestial Lions!

25-10-2008, 07:38
go for pre -heresy sons of horus/ luna wolves they look quite fast to paint.

keatsmeister
25-10-2008, 12:43
Back on Portent, Tulkas made some EXCELLENT Celestial Lions, an entire army I believe.

If he's still around, he might still have them hosted somewhere - look there for inspiration - failing that, Celestial Lions!

I had a small force of Celestial Lions once upon a time which looked very cool. I saved myself a bit of time and used Gold spray from my local hardware store, and inked it for a bit of depth. Nothing like a decked out Terminator squad deploying from a gleaming gold Land Raider to impose your force on an opponent ;)

Quick image search brought up this (http://demonwinner.free.fr/usa/2005Chicago/golden_demon_winner.php?categorie=11)

CommisarGaunt
25-10-2008, 13:31
I think gold is not a simple coulor scheme because it takes a long time. If u want drastic try two very contrasting colours such as red and green or blue and orange

Orwin
25-10-2008, 13:58
Thanks for the information, guys. I'll try to make them look less thick by spraying them with gold. If it still doesn't looks good, i'll drop to another colour scheme.

isidril93
25-10-2008, 15:20
if you really want to use gold then i suggest using:
shining gold + baal red
makes a nic combo.

Bjorn
25-10-2008, 16:14
Spray black, redify the eyes, paint the metal silver. :p

3 Colours, all tourney legal and will make people look and insult u for being a n00b.

Everyone wins

</sarcasm>

Good luck with the gold though, Seriously I hear its a pain to paint

Orwin
27-10-2008, 04:04
An update on the prototype: please, do not consider the paint's thickness.

http://img355.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sdc10009pp0.jpg

So, attractive and easy to paint considering that the owner won't be caring about highlights and doing basic shading?