PDA

View Full Version : Targeting order.

Kahadras
24-10-2008, 23:19
As far as I can think of the types of unit are...

Infantry
Heavy Cavalry
Light/fast Cavalry
Missile units
Skirmishers
Warmachines
Monsters

So the question is in what order do you engage enemy units? List the order in which you priorities targets and your reasons for doing so. Really this is more of a 'what units do you want to see dead first' question. Ignore the idea of targets of oppertunity (such as independant characters). Generaly I look to kill enemy Fast cavalry and Missile units first as I usualy invest in lots of fast cavalry myself and they are the two types of unit which are best set up to deal with my units. I'm sure other people have other ideas so lets hear them.

Kahadras

W0lf
24-10-2008, 23:30
So many variables its silly.

For examle id fire a orgun gun at knights but a stone thrower at infantry.

Kahadras
24-10-2008, 23:35
So many variables its silly.

That's why the question is more general than specific.

Kahadras

Kalec
24-10-2008, 23:36
Generally speaking, I engage infantry last because I have more time to deal with them then pretty much any other threat. What I go after first depends entirely on what I have to work with, deployment, and terrain.

Artillery, and anything that hinders my mobility tend to be very high-priority targets.

SilentTempest
25-10-2008, 07:22
I play Wood Elves, so I most want to see dead anything that can reach out and touch my units, ie shooting and magic. I'm happy enough with my ability to deal with enemy cavalry once it gets near me, but Wood Elf units are just so fragile to shooting and magic, those are the ones that need to disappear if I'm going to win.

sulla
25-10-2008, 08:28
Large targets first because I want to restrict their movement behind my lines.

Then Fast cav because they are persistant threats and relatively easy kills.

Then missile units because they hamper my mobility. (Occasionally, I will reverse the order between fast cav and missile troops to protect my own fast cav).

Finally, I occasionally use shooting on a war machine or heavy cav but only rarely because I have better tools in the DE armoury to deal with them.

I never shoot at infantry... never have enough shooting resources to waste on rank killers.

Grom Wronghand
25-10-2008, 11:11
I find heavy cav to be high on my targets list, along with artillery and monsters. As has ben said, infantry is last because they're slower and I've ot more time to deal with them.

Braad
25-10-2008, 12:38
I dislike most any terror causing monsters and another priority target is scouting skirmish units. The latter mainly because they are usually already close, and therefore a nice target :)

Thomus Darkblade
25-10-2008, 17:36
1-Light/fast Cavalry
Warmachines* (depends heavily on the context of the threat. Normally organ guns and helstroms are the top priority, cannons and bolt throwers on the back burner.)
Mages-

2-Skirmishers (Again, some skirmishers (Skinks, Shades, Dryads) are a threat. Some (peasants, archers) are not.
Missile units

3-Chariots*
Heavy Cavalry*
Ogre Sized units*
Monsters*
Divert these fout until you have achieved magical, shooting and movement superiority. If you have the ability to take them out early go for it. These things are typically a pain to shoot, and only certain spells are effective against them, so concentrating fire on a large central target is not necessarily advised. (exception cannons and bolt throwers. Go here always)

4-R&F Infantry- Avoid blocks with characters until the rest of the army is dead. Then encircle. Try to avoid actually putting the characters in positions where they can fight.

dude.sweet101@yahoo.co.uk
27-10-2008, 14:10
Other artillery- do unto others before they do unto you then spend 5 turns blatting away at the thing worth the most points.

I am afraid the last poster dosnt know his Orc from his elbow- if you have cannons shoot his Vampire Lord in the face, or cause as many panic tests as possible on stuff that runs especially in the first couple of turns.

Sometimes, if you cant cause a test (eg cannon at line of archers) don't risk the misfire.

This is all about threat assessment and neutralisation-what's the biggest threat to your army now, in this turn, and what is achievable realistically? This will get easier when you realise that your deployment is the key- dont clump it all together or his scouts will crush overun, rinse and repeat.

Frankly
27-10-2008, 21:38
Honestly, in my environment most players choose to target supporting units first, usually fast support, fast cavalry + flyers.

They give out the most tactical options and help control the flanks and open areas of the board, while having the ability to threated your unit's flanks and your static support etc, etc.

I see in some tournaments lists stacked with fast support options so the list has a better chance of winning the battle for control of movement on the board.

Its the reason I run salamanders or gyrocopters or yeomen or lots and lots of dire wolves and bats. To counter assault my opponents fast support take away those options of play from him.

w3rm
29-10-2008, 20:45
Kill the mages first, then scouting skirmishers, then monsters, then cav(fast then heavy) then warmachines and if everything else is dead R&F troops.