PDA

View Full Version : New Imperial Guard Regiments with each codex?

Luthor
25-10-2008, 03:25
I was just thinking how cool it would be if for each new IG codex, starying with this upcoming one, had a new imperial guard regiment as its basis. Anyone else think that this would be cool?

What regiment would you like to see in the upcoming codex?

I would have to say I would like some Tallern, or perhaps Valhallen, or some Steel Legion, or some...

Acerbus
25-10-2008, 03:32
steel legion all the way!

weissengel86
25-10-2008, 06:58
I dont think this is cool especially if it means i have to base my army on a regiment i dont care for. I would rather the codex go over a generic regiment as its basis with lots of options to customize your regiment and basically mimic famous regiments people like. While some people would like it my idea of Imperial guard is not bare chested jungle fighters or wannabe russkies. I would rather have a generic basis that i can customize to be what i want it to be.

It might would be a better idea to release a mini-codex in white dwarf for example.

Devil Tree
25-10-2008, 09:48
It would be nice to get a whole new range with each codex, but I just donít see it being in the cards. You have to realize that GW has to make a pretty big investment to create a new plastic range. They could probably justify is with a SM chapter, but sadly not guard.

Yes they did do it with the Catachans and the Cadians, but only because they blundered in making Catachans the vanilla Guard army. Cadians fit that role much better.

If anything I think we might see limited edition IG armies such as Steel Legion and the Vosarians every so often.

the1stpip
25-10-2008, 12:38
Agreed, a new range of plastoics with each codex would be nice.

I would like to see Valhallans or Greatcoat Guard personally.

Bunnahabhain
25-10-2008, 12:43
Really bad Idea. GW have proved they are either incapable or unwilling to support the existing IG model lines, so adding to this problem won't help.

Further to this, if the Guard codex is not highly flexible so as to :
a) Support the very wide range of IG playstyles in existence
b) support the wide range of model lines in existence
c) Support the wide range of background in existance

there is likely to be a revolt, and many, many guard players would be most unimpressed. Given the size of many of their armies, and reliance on FW, this would cost GW dearly.

The single best way to do this would be to focus on on one regiment per codex.

Example " we're doing valhallans this time. they don't use any drop troops, or carapace armoured guys, so we'll remove those options from the codex......< carry on through whole book>......"

Even if you had a wonderful Codex: Valhallans at the end of this, you would have sucessfully pissed off 98% of the guard players.

Lame Duck
25-10-2008, 12:53
As long as they give us options to do mechanised/droptroopers/grenadiers/massed infantry (much like the current codex to be honest), and release greatcoats & plastic stortroopers I'll be happy.

keatsmeister
25-10-2008, 12:53
This has cropped up so many times on this board and others.

The Cadian plastics are very good, and as a vanilla Guard base they are pretty solid. The option I'd plump for is the approach GW took with Space Wolves - stick with your basic sprues and simply add in a conversion sprue, or offer the conversion sprue for online purchase. Greatcoats, dress tunics, camo cloaks, all could be fit onto a sprue to add into a "Cadian" army deal.

march10k
25-10-2008, 13:22
I dont think this is cool especially if it means i have to base my army on a regiment i dont care for.
It might would be a better idea to release a mini-codex in white dwarf for example.

Uh...they're talking about models, not rules. I could see where you got the idea though, with the latest C:SM being a thinly disguised C:UM.

Shadowheart
25-10-2008, 13:45
Upgrade sprues work like a charm for Marines, because they're all wearing the same armour. Guard uniforms on the other hand have substantial differences, and I think they'd look lame without them. Even Valhallans, Steel Legion and Krieg couldn't be based on a single kit as people tend to think.

A drawback to releasing new regiments is that it takes up a big chunk of the release schedule. I think that's why the Guard have some of the oldest models in the current range - GW never got to some of the auxiliary units because they were doing another variant of the core troops.

It's unlikely GW would devote a lot of shelf space to multiple variants of the same units, so I think one more plastic regiment is about all we can hope for. Though I guess they may replace the Catachans with something new. I hope for more splash release metal regiments like the Vostroyans, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think the Codex itself should show the variety of the Imperial Guard, and have lots of different regiments in the artwork and background, even many that we'll never see in miniature form. This would show off the Guard's greatest asset and offer gamers and collectors many hooks for their own armies. Ideally no single regiment would come off as being "vanilla Guard".

Eldoriath
25-10-2008, 13:46
Some kind of greatcoat plastic models would be nice to see with the new dex, even though i'm quite stuck for the cadian models seeing some more great coats would be awesome =)

keatsmeister
25-10-2008, 13:52
Upgrade sprues work like a charm for Marines, because they're all wearing the same armour. Guard uniforms on the other hand have substantial differences, and I think they'd look lame without them. Even Valhallans, Steel Legion and Krieg couldn't be based on a single kit as people tend to think.

Depends how you approach them. The Marine variants could get away with simply replacing pauldrons, breastplates and helmets. For guard, you'd have to get into replacing torsos and more, but it is possible to create new uniforms using existing ranges.

Shadowheart
25-10-2008, 14:06
If you're replacing over half the miniature it's hardly worth doing "upgrade" sprues.

CommisarGaunt
25-10-2008, 14:14
I think GW should make codexes for each of the major regiments in detail but I think catachans would be a very good base for any army.
i myself am making Tanith out of them but I wish they didn't have such big muscles and came with more varieties of head as most are bald or have very little hair.

Templar Ben
25-10-2008, 14:16
I would prefer a different type of army. I think Vostroyan was the best release as 40K is more or less a Napoleonic scene where you shoot at each other just long enough to get into hand to hand and you place your heavy weapons (cannons) early on hills and try to not move them so you don't sacrifice their fire.

If they were going to release a new one then I would want it to be more like the Empire from Fantasy with Zealots and with units pushing each other forward.

If not that then they could go SciFi and make an army like the gang in Mad Max 2.

Leftenant Gashrog
25-10-2008, 14:54
Even Valhallans, Steel Legion and Krieg couldn't be based on a single kit as people tend to think.

Not if they were exact replicas of the current miniatures, but theres no reason GW couldn't retcon them to being identical save for the helmets (eg: the current plastic Cadians look nothing like the old metal ones).

It also depends which version of Krieg they go for: originally they were just an alternate colour scheme for Steel Legion minis, whilst the version shown in the doctrine section of the current codex actually has an all but identical greatcoat to the Valhallan in the same section.

Shadowheart
25-10-2008, 15:09
And if apples were changed to be just like oranges we'd have to stop using that whole idiom. With "Valhallans", "Steel Legion" and "Krieg" I meant the models as they are. Thought that went without saying, so I didn't. Forgot I was on the internet.

So yes, GW could do new regiments (with or without old names) that all look very much the same except for a headswap and some accessories. That'd be very different from the regiments as we know them. In a bad way, if you ask me.

Col. Tartleton
25-10-2008, 16:33
Simple Reformed Line:

Command Squad Box Set: A highly customizable plastic Cadian Officer that can be done as a Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Colonel, or General with some style options like a dress uniform vs. battle fatigues, some cool medal clusters, some ornate looking swords and powerfists as well as a variety of properly sized guns done in a 19th century style with the uniform being roughly ww2 US. As well as 4 guardsmen with options in guns for special weapons, shotties, bolters, and lasguns as well as medical options and vox options.

A guard box being 2 squads with all special stuff and some customizable sergeant options included. (Very few Changes, just a recut sprue for more)

A veteran squad of 10 models that have options from elite looking cadians to normal sized catachans for a mix and match sort of vietnam vet look snipers, bandoliers, greenery stuck on, bolters, shotguns, lasguns, duel pistols, the works . Plastic.

Bikers who look like motorbikes with cadians on them. Metal.

Carapace armored Storm Troopers with a variety of helmets, heads, gas masks, and berets who are plastic.

Whatever other s*** they want to toss on in the other departments. But keep cadians as core and allow for enough options to give them character. Then let people convert them or use the older models for other things. But make cadians a diverse looking non vanilla army. Like a squad could mix veteran parts and have a cig smoking joker card on the helmet flak vest no sleeves grizzled sergeant.

Thats a Cadian for you. And if the vet box was used it could make improved jungle fighters. Greenstuff a headscarf and its a passible tallarn if the legs were done in a world war 1 style for the regular guard. Use the ST with gasmasks for say vostroyans with a bit of greenstuffed fur, use the helmeted ones as kasrkins ect.

march10k
25-10-2008, 17:06
If you're replacing over half the miniature it's hardly worth doing "upgrade" sprues.

QFT.

I think GW should make codexes for each of the major regiments in detail but I think catachans would be a very good base for any army.
i myself am making Tanith out of them but I wish they didn't have such big muscles and came with more varieties of head as most are bald or have very little hair.

Uh, the second half of what you said makes a mockery of the first half. A whole bunch of half naked muscle men would make a good base for any army? Surely you jest. I think cadians as the stock model is right on. Flak armor has got to be the standard, even if it's worn under a trench coat or with a feathered headdress instead of a helmet.

On topic, though, I think GW would do well to refresh an existing flavor with each redo. Tanith might not be to popular right now, but I would be happy to see new models for valhallans or mordians, even though I'll never collect anything but the old metal cadians myself. Constantly churning out new regiments that never again get new models is...distasteful to me.

The Base
25-10-2008, 18:38
Will model wise I think they should keep Cadians as the core.

What they really need to do however is release things like metal tank commanders, sentinel pilots and such that work well if armies that aren't Cadians.

ChaosTicket
25-10-2008, 19:25
Maybe. The Cadians are pretty vanilla and have more or less been the basis for the Imperial Guard since 2nd edition(although Catachans got the 2nd edition cover). They are the Imperial Guard version of the Ultramarines.

Cadians are fine, I however don't like what they did when the remade them back in the Eye of Terror campaign, as they ended up with WW2 flamers rather than the compact and easily reloaded ones they Imperial Guard has (almost) standard, the tripods for their light and heavy machine guns, and the oddly large helmets heads for the Guardsmen.