PDA

View Full Version : Restrictions of fluffy space marine companies

ORKY ARD BOYZ
25-10-2008, 08:50
Iíve been trying to integrate a captain into my ultramarines 2nd company. One thing I like about the ultramarines is their awesome colour scheme of blue and gold, which I feel blends together really well. What I do have a problem with is the lack of marines in a codex adhering space marine company.

An ultramarine company has exactly one captain and with the exception of the 1st company, no veteran squads. Unfortunately for me Captain Sicarius is the official 2nd company space marine captain, therefore in terms of background my own 2nd company ultramarines captain cannot exist because there is only one captain to a company. I donít want to use another company because I like the gold-blue scheme but I canít think of any way a captain could work in a fluffy way. The ultramarines created the Codex Astartes and are known to be rigid adherents. Is there any way I could use my captain in the existing background, (i.e. no time travel or anything like that.)

Odin
25-10-2008, 08:59
You've got 10,000 years to play with. Sicarius is the 2nd Co captain now, but Your captain could be the one before.

Reaver83
25-10-2008, 10:25
or one in the future, or acting captain... be creative

Unclejo
25-10-2008, 10:29
There used to be Lieutenants, didn't there? Im sure there were three levels of generals in 2nd Edition.

Griefbringer
25-10-2008, 10:32
Lieutenants appear in RT, but were done away with in 2nd edition.

ehlijen
25-10-2008, 11:44
What if it's young sicarius? Before he mastered all the skills and collected all the gear he owns now?

Oldguny
25-10-2008, 18:49
Thats a good idea

Imperialis_Dominatus
26-10-2008, 06:27
Sicarius dies a tragic and painful death, preferably involving fire, in the latest part of 999.M41.

Your fella is set to take his place.

Easy as.

The Base
26-10-2008, 07:08
You assume that the marines are only deployed as companies.

In the Imperial Armor 5 book it shows the deployment of the Dark Angles on Varks

1st Company 25 terminators
2nd Company 30 (crew for land speeders)
3rd Company about 60 marines
5th Company over 100 marines (full company I assume)
6th Company about 70 marines
8th Company about 50 marines
9th Company about 40 marines

Also there are some others that were not assigned to any company deployed.

So you can simply deploy people assigned to other companies, if you want to mark them as being from some other company.

Cypher, the Emperor
26-10-2008, 07:53
Yeah, a company isn't an exclusive affair. I mean, I would seriously wonder at the tactical legitimacy of deploying an entire company of devastators. Thats why all the veterans are in the first company, and then assigned to the other companies in the chapter.

ORKY ARD BOYZ
26-10-2008, 08:18
What if it's young sicarius? Before he mastered all the skills and collected all the gear he owns now?

That wouldnít work because my guy is bald and from what you can see of his face he looks older.

So you can simply deploy people assigned to other companies, if you want to mark them as being from some other company.

Iíve thought about that but ultramarines have different colour on their shoulderpads for different companies.

Sicarius dies a tragic and painful death, preferably involving fire, in the latest part of 999.M41.

Your fella is set to take his place.

Easy as.

or one in the future, or acting captain... be creative

Iíve considered time travel, but I donít feel comfortable with acting events that donít happen ďnow.Ē Itís like Horus Heresy armies, theyíre awesome, but a bit hard to explain when fighting tau. At least the horus heresy sm can be explained as ďguys who wear ancient armour and took up a random symbol that resembles someone elseís. The captain thing can be form the future or the past, but if heís from the past heís obviously dead/turned to chaos/exiled and so all your battles feel pointless if you know your guy has already been screwed.

If heís from the future then potentially the background could have moved forward, again it feels strange to play in a period where you know Sicarius is a dead space marine and where any manner of things could have happened. Youíre setting your forces in complete isolation with all other armies, other people ďknowĒ that Sicarius is live and well and I have to claim the future has moved forward.

This problem could have been solved if sm companies were slightly bigger and allowed a 2nd auxilary captain or something, (lieutenants) that would be kept deliberately obscure.

Fo'Shizzle
26-10-2008, 08:33
As stated earlier you have 10000 years to play with, Sicarius would only be about 300 years old, if that??

You've got to realise that the timeline given by GW is that the 13th black crusade has just begun. Oddly enough I remember fighting that 5(?) years ago...

Time in 40k is not a precise point. All the battles taking place are taking place over thousands of years.

Ben
26-10-2008, 08:35
Set it 20-3 years ago when Sicarius isn't running the 2nd company. Have it be an acting captain as Sicarius is on a mission/at a doctors appointment. I don't see the problem to be honest.

Octavius_Maximus
26-10-2008, 08:40
...why cant you use Sicarius?

Shibboleth
26-10-2008, 10:47
There is no solution to your problem, as you've described it.

Eryx_UK
26-10-2008, 10:54
How about this for an idea. They have to train future captains somehow, so on small scale operations a prospective captain choice is tasked with showing his leadership ability. Your captain is just such an individual.

Maidel
26-10-2008, 11:29
Each command squad has 'future' captains in it. Just assume that sicarus is on 'detatched' duty with calgar and call your guy 'brother-captain' or 'acting captain' and just use the captain stats.

Dont forge the names are fairly arbitary. Ragnar was a blood claw when he slew an entire army of khorne beserkers and they made him a wolf guard. In game he would already have the stats of a wolf lord, but he was still called a blood claw.

So use the stats of a captain, and call your commander what ever the hell you want.

GabrielEvander
26-10-2008, 11:41
Could be an Equerry?

SonofUltramar
26-10-2008, 11:42
How about having him as the Captain of 2nd Company before Sicarius took over? If you check the background you'll see that at the Battle of Macragge Agemman (now 1st Company) was Captain then suceeded by Pythea then who knows? Also Sicarius is supposed to be a recent appointement as he was Captain of the Ultramarines Honour Company during the 13th Black Crusade so depending on how you see the timeline he has just got back and been appointed or is about to leave on secondment in which case he is still listed as Captain of 3rd Company?

If I were you i'd say Sicaruius has just left to take part in the 13th Black Crusade and that your guy is the Captain who Sicarius takes over from?

the_raptor
26-10-2008, 11:46
The captain thing can be form the future or the past, but if heís from the past heís obviously dead/turned to chaos/exiled and so all your battles feel pointless if you know your guy has already been screwed.

The entire Imperium dies after 999.M41. This is the core of the fluff, the fight is hopeless, the only thing that matters is how humanity dies (this is a very 80's thing).