10 - Chaos Warhounds

5 - Chaos Knights:
Mark of Nurgle, Banner of Rage and Full Command

1 - Chaos Warshrine:
Mark of Tzeentch

10 - Chaos Chosen
Biting Blade, Mark of Khorne, Halberds, Full Command and Rapturous Banner

Total = 1997pts

Just looking for constructive criticism on the army list or any other advice you guys are able to give me,
/Rookie

Shamfrit
25-10-2008, 15:42
1 - Exalted Hero:
Shield, Mark of Khorne and Axe of Khorne

This guy is fine and dandy, solid combat, good armour save; had you considered a Juggernaut? (Silly question.) But then I assume you're footslogging them with the Marauders/Warriors, so ignore that.

1 - Exalted Hero:
Enchanted Shield, Mark of Khorne and Biting Blade

Personally, if you're using to Exalted Heroes I'd make one a BSB. The Blade doesn't do much and the Enchanted Shield can be switched to allow you to take a magic banner - your choice, although the re-rolling break tests is a very valuable ability in this list, giving you ItP and Re-rolling Panic/Break across the army. Or Most of. Switch shield and Blade for BSB, gives you 5 points spare to boot!

1 - Chaos Sorcerer:
Mark of Nurgle, Level 2 Wizard and Dispel Scrolls x2

I presume you'll be popping off that blasted lvl.1 spell to try and sneak a cheeky wound off a Hero, so he's cool - I'd usually suggest dropping the extra magic level if he's purely a Scroll Caddy, but you might get the spell off once so it's worth it.

19 - Chaos Warriors:
Mark of Khorne, Shields, Standard and Musician

Thumbs up here. Although I'd give them GW/Halberds for maximum carnage, if you charge, there won't be anything left to hit you back...and even then, you've still got a 4+ save.

24 - Chaos Marauders:
Light Armour, Flails, Musician, Standard and Mark of Khorne

Wayyyy too big for a frenzied and unarmoured unit. 2X 12 Flailers tends to work better but I'm not sure what you're gunning for having a big unit. Unless you rank as 7 frontage etc.

5 - Marauder Horsemen:
Mark of Khorne, Flails, Light Armour and Full Command

I never take standards on fast cavalry...but, you're frenzied and packing a punch, so you might get lucky. Be careful, that extra 100 vp might give the game away. And you're very prone to Dire Wolves/Harpies/Furies.

10 - Chaos Warhounds

2X5 maybe? I've no objection to bigger units either.

5 - Chaos Knights:
Mark of Nurgle, Banner of Rage and Full Command

Exactly as I take them - :D

1 - Chaos Warshrine:
Mark of Tzeentch

10 - Chaos Chosen
Biting Blade, Mark of Khorne, Halberds, Full Command and Rapturous Banner

Double use of Biting Blade here, although if you take my advice you're free to use it on the Champion - i'd take Favour of the Gods or Death's Head personally. Pick off a few Knights :D

Total = 1997pts

Hope that helps, it's a good list all round either way.

Kalec
25-10-2008, 16:23
The second exalted is a waste of points. Turn him into a BSB, or drop him.

Drop a hound and run them in a 3x3 block. This keeps them easy to maneuver and limits the amount of attacks they will take when flanking an enemy block.

Drop the armor and full command on the horsemen. They don't do enough, and giving up a standard is going to hurt.

Rookie1986
27-10-2008, 11:26
Well i made the changes that were suggested but unfortunately my WoC got annihilated by an army of O&G,

Deploy:

I followed the advice of a Games Workshop staff member and placed all of my units in one corner and due to my opponents large army he had to spread himself out over almost the entire part of his side, which should mean i can slowly mover down his army rather then spreading out my troops and getting out numbered,

Turn 1:

In turn one i couldn't have got luckier, my opponent had moved his goblin archers twice (once for some O&G rule that they had to pass at the start of their turn and then there normal movement) so they were positioned in charging range of my Chaos Knights which soon made quick and easy work of them plus an additional two archer units that fled due to a failed panic test, Also my opponent had some bad luck with their dice rolls meaning that they failed to cast any magic in their first turn,

Turn 2:

Again luck seemed to be on my side, my Chaos Knights ripped through another Goblin Regiment and soon sent them running with an additional unit that failed a panic test. My marauder horsemen engaged a regiment of Goblins but after combat resolution things were a draw so they remained in combat for the next round, My opponent released his Fanatics but thy just sailed past my regiments and died by the end of round 4 with no impact on the game.

Turn 3:

This is where everything started to go wrong, my opponents Spider Riders charged my Marauder Horsemen in the Flank which after combat sent them running and unfortunately they were caught, My Chaos Knights entered combat with my opponents Black Orcs with Lord regiment and the lord dispatched the full regiment in one round of combat! And then to top things off i lost my full Warhound regiment to my opponents three level 2 wizards,

Turn 4:

Turn four just went from bad to worse, my Warshrine engaged a unit of Goblins but lost in combat resolution and when fleeing it collided with a regiment of Spider Riders, so it was lost. I lots 4 Chaos Chosen to my opponents three level 2 Wizards, and their Black Orcs + Lord entered combat with my Marauders + Exalted Hero..... no guessing how it ended....

Turn 5:

So I was now left with my General, Chaos Warriors unit, a Sorcerer and 6 Chaos Chosen. The Chosen lost combat to his Goblins and Spider Riders and were totally wiped out! My sorcerer was safe for this turn fortunately, as my opponent failed to cast any spells at him and my Chaos Warriors took down another Goblin regiment,

Turn 6:

Turn 6 sealed the deal, his BO + Lord finished off their rampage and took a nice chunk out of my chaos warrior regiment, but other then that turn 6 was a dead turn as everything else left on the table was either to far away to do anything or they failed to cast the spells they needed,

All in all it was a good battle but I just couldn't get over how his BO + Lord were able to totally Annihilate my entire army, what would you guys suggest i do for my next battle? What changes or tactics could I apply to better my chances and reduce the odds of a Lord + Regiment ripping through everything i've got? And most importantly what did I do wrong?

/Rookie

dude.sweet101@yahoo.co.uk
27-10-2008, 13:08
Hi,

Don't worry too much about loosing a few games to begin with- it really helps you in the long run. I have been playing for many years and am just about to dust off my partially retired WoC army in order to go out bashing things again, hence my interest in your army/list/games.

I have lots of success with cheap, fast flail marauder cav with a musician and possibly a champion. The unit has excellent M and WS and with a unit of 7 they can even have a go at medium infantry to the front or semi-elites/knights in the flank.

Dogs are good for blocking your own frenzied charges and redirecting your opponent to expose his flank.

Give him a choice: Charge my dogs that are in your face and worth zilch

1) I might flee and counter charge next turn

2) Hold and die

If I hold and die/break you can restrain where my knights will chop you up or you can persue where you will be flanked by those Chosen nutters who will make pate out of your wibbly bits.

When you get really good at WFB you will learn to do this with your whole battlline offering up 2 or 3 cheap units and then a whole world of countercharging/set ups to your opponent. If he dosn't charge, you will still be in a position to charge with everything, starting at the front.

Remeber the golden charging rule: If you can see it at the start of the turn and there is nothing in the way when you come to move, then you can charge.It may mean charging the dogs into hopeless combats-pick out the wizards and champions with these A then die horribly. A level 2 with some kit is usually worth 150 - 185pts, its well worth the risk for 50pts of dogs.

So then your big charge hits home and your opponent either flees or gets a kicking and breaks.

A BSB is good for when you have to take the charge and should always be mounted on a barded steed for the M but mostly for the armour save.

I like your army and your honesty in asking for help, please keep us informed of your progress.

Dan