PDA

View Full Version : Zombies!

Victomorga
25-10-2008, 16:47
are there any official or quasi-official rules out there for typhus' plague zombies (or any zombies in the 40k universe)?

one of the first 3 HH books (can't remember which one) has the luna wolves fighting a horde of zombies and plague bearers in a swamp, and the CSM codex mentions the zombie plague left in the wake of the destroyer hive.

I would really like to be able to play a scenario with an enormous swarm of slow, low-stats zombies that seems to go on forever.

if there are no zombie rules for 40k floating around out there, maybe fantasy players can answer me this:

could the point cost / stat line for fantasy zombies be used in 40k, or would it not translate from one game system to another?

(I'm not looking for any kind of tournament legal rules or anything like that, just a GW-balanced stat line / point cost to play scenarios with)

thanks for any feedback.

Grand_Marshal_Kazan
25-10-2008, 16:51
are there any official or quasi-official rules out there for typhus' plague zombies (or any zombies in the 40k universe)?

one of the first 3 HH books (can't remember which one) has the luna wolves fighting a horde of zombies and plague bearers in a swamp, and the CSM codex mentions the zombie plague left in the wake of the destroyer hive.

I would really like to be able to play a scenario with an enormous swarm of slow, low-stats zombies that seems to go on forever.

if there are no zombie rules for 40k floating around out there, maybe fantasy players can answer me this:

could the point cost / stat line for fantasy zombies be used in 40k, or would it not translate from one game system to another?

(I'm not looking for any kind of tournament legal rules or anything like that, just a GW-balanced stat line / point cost to play scenarios with)

thanks for any feedback.

There is a Apocalypse datasheet called Plague of Zombies.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?community=&catId=cat1300034&categoryId=900006&aId=3400020

Iron Manticore
25-10-2008, 16:51
If you happen to have the Eye of Terror Codex, the Plague Zombies are the same as the Mutants, only they can't take any weapon upgrades (close combat only), are fearless, and can be considered Slow and Purposeful (i.e., they always move as if through difficult terrain). If you don't happen to have Eye of Terror, check out Apocalypse...I believe they have the Mutant stats listed on the "lost and the damned" data sheet.

I had a group of thirty in one game that almost beat a Necron opponent.

Hope that helps.

Victomorga
25-10-2008, 18:19
thanks guys, that does help.

I don't really understand the plague of zombies datasheet. the point cost is listed as "30+ models"; I understand this to mean that the formation costs 30 points to field, and then you pay per-model for the zombies. I don't see any point cost for each zombie, though. am I missing something?

Loopstah
25-10-2008, 18:40
It has the point cost per zombie above the stat line : 5pts

Vedar
25-10-2008, 18:53
I've been wanting to complete my Lost and the damned army for some time. I'll be converting the orks in the black reach for big mutants.

Oldguny
25-10-2008, 20:07
there is also a data sheet in one of the WD mags, I don't remember wich one though. It had a whold bunch of weird animal baddies in there you could use.

Ironmonger
25-10-2008, 20:24
Based on the writings of H. P. Lovecraft, Resident Evil/Silent Hill imagery, and a fascination with how to bring undead into WH40K, I've wanted to write up a codex and build a Reanimator army for years (non-chaos based renegade Adeptus Biologus)! Thanks for bringing my attention to that datasheet: it has the exact stat line I had been thinking.

So many armies, so little time...

Bjorn
25-10-2008, 20:34
Necrons counts as

Next!

Victomorga
25-10-2008, 21:41
It has the point cost per zombie above the stat line : 5pts

why, yes it does. thank you; sometimes I even amaze myself....

Super Ninja
26-10-2008, 01:16
They use to have a "Creature Feature" article on GW UK but with the "upgrade" that GW gave its UK and US sites, alot of the realy cool ,old articles got wasted. In the article they had rules for zombies.

I suggest that you make up some rules for Zombies and use them in a scenario.

Devil Tree
26-10-2008, 07:25
You could also use the new demons codex. You could have the deepstriking ability represent them clawing their way out of their graves.

Zombies could be put on 40mm bases and made to represent nurglings. Plague Bearers and the rest of the codex could be as is or made into whatever undead critters you want them to be.

Playa
26-10-2008, 10:34
Hey,

I would really like to be able to play a scenario with an enormous swarm of slow, low-stats zombies that seems to go on forever

There are quite a few Zombie K-T variants out there.
Some are rather involved, but many are fairly elegant.
These best reflect the Twilight Creations-type conflicts that are so popular.

Here are a few I've adapted slightly:

+++

Zombie K-T Missions
- K. Haggorot

+++

Station 28

Background: After months of fighting and killing, the Capitol has become overrun by zombies of Nurgle. The planet is lost, but the Imperial fleet will not arrive for some time. To keep the plague in check, the Capitol must be sacrificed. A team has been inserted to set of charges in one of the city's plasma conduit stations. This will set off a chain reaction, turning the zombies and and the city into a smoking crater.

Forces: The Attacker plays the kill team. It may cost up to 250 points. Any mutable or immutable laws MAY be broken (this allows for terminator squads etc. to be used). Vehicles are not allowed. All other kill team rules apply (including optional wargear). The defender plays up to 500 points of zombies. Additionally, zombie units have the "without number" rule. When a squad is wiped out, it may be recycled - the unit reenters play on any board edge except the attackers'.

Game: Cities of Death (no Stratagems). The board should be at least 3x3, but any size is fine. it should be covered in suitably "urban" terrain. A large building shold be situated at the center of the board to represent the conduit station. The defender deploys first. Zombie units may deployd anywhere on the board, at least 12 inches away from the attackers' board edge. The attacker deploys second, anywhere within 12 inches of his deployment zone.

Objectives: The attacker must reach the conduit station, and remain there for two turns (as if holding an Objective). If this is done, the game automatically ends, the station is destroyed, and the attacker wins. In any other circumstance, the defender wins.

Game Length: 8 Turns

+++

Outbreak

Background
Months ago, a large vessel had crashed in the mountains. A recovery team brought back a single insane survivor, rambling about the "powers of the dark". Several containers were also discovered in the wreck, and brought back to the Adeptus Mechanicus facility at the heart of the Capitol. Soon after, Astropathic messages were sent out screaming for help, only to cease shortly after. Your force was in the city during this time, and knows the true story of what happened: the containers had been carrying samples of a virulent disease known as the "Zombie Plague", brought from the warzone around the Eye of Terror. Your force was in the field when the plague started, and you have been ordered to return to the city and assist PDF forces in supressing the effects of the outbreak.

The Game
The game is played in a village encountered on the way back to the planet's Capitol. It is overrun with undead Citizens, and you must fight your way through to continue the advance. The board should be covered in a mix of "urban" and "rural" terrain, representing the outskirts of a village. The Attacker chooses a 1000pt force from his/her respective army list to represent the spearhead moving into the town. Standard selection rules apply. The Attacker sets up first, in a deployment zone extending six inches from any ONE board edge. The Defender selects a 1500pt army of zombies. They may deploy squads of zombies anywhere on the board, at least 6' away from the attackers deployment zone. Additionally, a single squad of big mutants may be selected to represent infected Adepts, and should be deployed as near to the center of the board as possible.

Objectives
Each building represents an Objective. If an equal number of Objectives are held at the end of the game, use VP to determine the winner. The squad of big mutants counts for 150% VP to help balance the Zombies' superior numbers. The Attackers go first.

Unless an attacking Unit moves or shoots within 6in of a zombie Unit, they will remain Unaware, and scatter d3in rather than using normal Movement. A "Hit" result allows the zombie player to choose which direction. However, once any zombie becomes Aware, the entire zombie army reverts to normal Movement rules. The attackers need to clear the village within 6 turns to win.

+++

HTH

Playa