PDA

View Full Version : Convince me to play your army

vinny t
25-10-2008, 16:47
(Inspired by a thread i saw on the 40k forum)
I currently am in the mood for another army (a mood i'm sure i'll regret:rolleyes:), and so i want to ask the fine folk of warseer why their army is the best. I currently have Dark elves, khorne daemons, mortals, and Tomb Kings.

P.S I don't want a flame war, so just list pros and cons of your army and don't bash other people's armies.
Thank you :)

punkned
25-10-2008, 17:12
If you want variety, go for the greenskins!

- Lots of different troop to choose from and collect
- Lots of different tactics you can try
- Potent on every three phases of the game (shooting, magic, Cc)
- Every game brings a new disaster, or at least brings you on the verge of disaster
- No one will ever say your a powergamer playing the greenskins (you'll field the troops with the keenest sense of self-preservation...)
- And most of all, on these very difficult hang-over from last night's party saturdays (and/or sundays), your skin color will match your army's, which will be very concept if you can manage to crawl to your favourite gaming place. Doesn't lead to great voctories thought

Rastamann
25-10-2008, 17:25
If you enjoyed the Prison Break tv show, you'll love Greenskins. Every game something very bad happens to you. It then gets worse, but in the end, you'll have great fun, and you may even win. I have played O&G ever since I started WFB, and am loving it.

On a more serious note:
Greenskin's Pros:
- The fluff and a very characterful army
- The potential to either build a horde or a non-horde army with a viable ability to win
- Orcs are cheap basic troops that will beat many other basic troops to a pulp if they get the charge, and may even hold their own for a while if they get charged
- Nice special rules (mostly, anyway)
- Fun magic items and troop types, in a rather large diversity
- Great models
- 40 pt charge diverters that won't cause panic in anyone else
- Ability to not take magic but still have magic defense cheaply

Cons:
- Generally low Ld
- Animosity
- Over-reliance on luck

FurryMiguell
25-10-2008, 17:26
Im with punkned and Rastamann! Greenskins has a great variety of troops, plenty of tactics, and lots of fun conversion possible for them. I personally play a goblin wolfrider horde (WIP), themed with home-made giant-lobbsters (used as giant), crab-riders (used as spider riders) and all characters converted (some quite heavily).

Cheers:D

monkeymatt
25-10-2008, 17:27
Go for the mighty protectors of Ulthran:

Some of the best CC models in the game
Allways strike first means that you can put some real damage down
Nice looking models
Very good Magic and decent shooting(Bolt Thrower doesn't have to guess range of-course)
Lots of different possibilties of the army
Good Backround
Not to hard to paint(In my opinion)

I'm sure there is more to add to the list but this is all I can think of at the moment.

GuyLeCheval
25-10-2008, 17:29
Go play Skaven because of:

Pro's
- Awesome Skaven lore.
- Gutter Runner tunnelers that pop-up behind enemy warmachines.
- Frenzy-hatred plague censer bearers who's gas hits ignores enemies AS
- Horrifying Warp-fire thrower.
- Small unit's of rat-tarpits.
- Hidden assassins, ratling guns, rat ogres, T5 plague priest and a lot of more!

Cons:
- low leadership. (however, more troops means more Ld in Skaven terms)
- Clanrats aren't fun to paint.

P.S. Skaven are getting a review in march/may 2009, so wait till than for a lot of more fun.:D

bork da basher
25-10-2008, 17:31
play a multigod demon abuse list of doom and win the next GT with it ;) i kid i kid.

personnally im having alot of fun with dwarfs right now, a good solid mixed unit army, no gimicks, no gunlins, no anvil just good honest dwarf steel. makes for fun hard faught battles which is what warhammer is about IMO. and best of all their still tough enough to take on the so called "cheese" armies and beat them too so theres no need to trick them out.

vinny t
25-10-2008, 17:44
I really don't want to paint a super lot of models, but I also would like units that can take a charge really well. Thanks for all the advice!

Braad
25-10-2008, 17:52
Quit your mumbo jumbo! You must paint lots of models, and start an army of Orcs and Goblins!

Okay, but serious. An army with not too much models, and can take a charge. Well you could, uhm... or maybe... nah, the other one...

Okay, never mind. Just play Orcs & Goblins, and you'll be happy ever after!

PS. the main army that goes like: take a charge with few models, you already got: chaos! But you might want to consider dwarves... but I'll leave it to the dwarf players to tell about that army

Lordsaradain
25-10-2008, 18:04
Warriors of Chaos! Their new sweet codex and awesome models are released in a week.

They look BADASS, you don't have to paint too many models, they are absolutly brutal in combat, they have the best core infantry in the game without a doubt.

Take a long hard look at the Warriors of Chaos models and tell me that you don't like them.

gorenut
25-10-2008, 18:16
Personally, I would wait until Warriors of Chaos atleast to see if they catch your attention immediately. I can see an army of Marauder horsemen being really cool and fun to play. I personally play Dark Elves. I pretty much chose them because I liked the new plastics and when forming the army list... it ended up being one of those lists that I liked every choice so much that it was so hard to fit everything in 1 army... as opposed to lets say Vampire Counts where all I can get inspired to filed are skeletons, graveguards, and Varghulf of Black Coach.

If you have extra patience.. you might even consider waiting until Lizardmen get released. I think they're gonna be really cool from what I've read. I've always wanted a Lizardmen army that is focused on a Slaan and some Temple Guards.. an uber elite army.

Othiem
25-10-2008, 23:04
Go for the Empire!

Whenever you're in the mood for a change, just mix up your list, empire can do it all.

Shooting? We got tons of warmachines, with two unique ones of our very owned, backed up by your standard range weapons, with repeater handguns and sniper rifles tossed in for good measure.

Horde infantry? We've got 4 different cheap units that can be customized with deatchments.

Tough infantry? Stubborn greatswords and unbreakable flagelants.

Magic? Cheap wizards with access to all 8 lores, and the warrior priests with nifty prayers to throw a wrench into the whole phase.

Cavalry? Heavy cav are core! And pistollers, some of the best harassing light cav out there, why shoot dinky short bows as you harass when you can light then up with pistol fire?

Although Empire works best when you use everything in combination, since individually they are lackluster.

Thommy H
25-10-2008, 23:35
Do you want an army, or do you want a way of life? I'm talking about an army that's not supported by GW: an army with no current model range and rules almost a decade old - but which still work. You want Ld 10 Heroes? We got 'em. You want fast cavalry that can get a 4+ save? We got that too.

With this army, you're getting an experience because you have to do everything yourself: either you scour ebay for bargains or you break out the green stuff. You can't just walk into a GW store and come out with a armful of models to make your army, you have to work at it. If you amass even a small army, you get a sense of pride. You're fighting the power and standing up against the man with this army, and becoming part of a corner of the hobby community that is so dedicated they collect, paint and game despite no support whatsoever from GW.

My friend, you will never need another army if you have this one. It will change the way you think about Warhammer.

Eldramesha
26-10-2008, 02:25
Come-Come, you learn-learn! I am Niblek, Master Warlock Engineer of Clan Skryre, Greatest of all clan-clans!! I seek green-greens to make strong-strong! Niblek care not for filthy lives of other Skaven. Only Niblek matters in the end for he is top-top! We are many-many, mighty swarms we kill-kill man-things and dwarf-things and elf-things and...ohhh....pretty glowing so green-green, must not take yet...Yes-yes, we kill man-things but we must be many-many because Niblek not kill man-things, we kill man-things. Slaves at bottom you say? I see no slaves, only bodies to choke our enemies, they matter not-not. Clan Eshin is sneak-sneak and dark-dark, they kill-kill quick-quick. Moulder kill with big things and many small things. They make pain-pain but power they have. Much glowings they mine, ahhh...pretty-pretty these glowing thing-things..no must not-not. Pestilens is sick-sick but tough-tough, frothies and foamies they are. Then 's Skryre, yes-yes. This the best clan-clan. Why? We make things go BOOM!-BOOM!!!!!, yes-yes!!, ohhh so green and must, no must not, and must-must...

*chomp* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16heorrfsgY&feature=related)

Shamfrit
26-10-2008, 03:10
Come-Come, you learn-learn! I am Niblek, Master Warlock Engineer of Clan Skryre, Greatest of all clan-clans!! I seek green-greens to make strong-strong! Niblek care not for filthy lives of other Skaven. Only Niblek matters in the end for he is top-top! We are many-many, mighty swarms we kill-kill man-things and dwarf-things and elf-things and...ohhh....pretty glowing so green-green, must not take yet...Yes-yes, we kill man-things but we must be many-many because Niblek not kill man-things, we kill man-things. Slaves at bottom you say? I see no slaves, only bodies to choke our enemies, they matter not-not. Clan Eshin is sneak-sneak and dark-dark, they kill-kill quick-quick. Moulder kill with big things and many small things. They make pain-pain but power they have. Much glowings they mine, ahhh...pretty-pretty these glowing thing-things..no must not-not. Pestilens is sick-sick but tough-tough, frothies and foamies they are. Then 's Skryre, yes-yes. This the best clan-clan. Why? We make things go BOOM!-BOOM!!!!!, yes-yes!!, ohhh so green and must, no must not, and must-must...

*chomp* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16heorrfsgY&feature=related)

:skull::skull::skull:

Post of the day by far!

Emeraldw
26-10-2008, 04:41
Why engage your enemies from the front? Such a waste of perfectly good lives. To strike from the shadows with the might of your home while your enemy sleeps is the way to fight a battle. As they wonder through the woods the last thing they will here is the twang of your bow.

Wood Elves:
-Has the most mobile army in the game.
-Good shooting with Longbows, ignoring move and shoot and Elven skill.
-Forest spirits give the army a hard hitting block, that also is rather tough.
-Makes a strong presence in the magic phase if desired, they are elves after all.
-Hits hard in CC, made even more devastating combined with their powerful movement.

Wood Elves downfalls:
-T3 on non forest spirits.
-Forest spirits lose ward save against magic weapons (I house rule that anymore)
-No armor. The best armor save on any unit is 5+.

Forget the ways of warfare practiced by the other races. They do not understand nature and the ways of the hunt. We shall show you how to commune with the world, and it will answer your call to war.

Edit: Eldramesha, that was a great post :D

Leogun_91
26-10-2008, 08:31
- Over-reliance on luckHmm...thatīs funny I would have put that on pros it helps me win many games.

However I would like you to join a proper hold, you have been messing way to long with the elf wosses, the bad manlings, the washnots and the hasbeens but itīs nothing proper dwarf ale and long days of mining canīt fix. I suggest you contact youīr clan elders and explain that you want to help in the hold. The reason to do it? Well you certainly reason like a manling, but if honour and the potential to get into the ancestor halls when you die isnīt enough I might tell you that we have the hardest infantry, the best warmachines, the mightiest equipment and none of uss will explode beacouse "he overdid a fireball". Now go youngbeard and find youīr place within the hold.

Condottiere
26-10-2008, 10:13
So, how much will I get paid for this ...

Vlad_D
26-10-2008, 10:25
How bout som Lizards

Pros-
Best magic casters in the game -slann
Solid infantry - Sauras
Massed poisoned attacks - Skinks and swarms
Stegagon........
Dinosours!!!!!!!
And acid spitting lizards

Cons-
not a very competetive and flexible list, unless you play a skink list
saurus are expensive.

Also Lizardmen are being redone in the near future so you can look forwod to new rules and models

Lister of Smee
26-10-2008, 12:08
go the ogres

PROS
. Easy to convert
. powerful characters, (T7, S7, d3 wounding tyrants)
. lots of intersting themes (ninja, pirate, savage, feastmaster, ironskin etc)
. high strength attacks
. gnoblars are very useful

CONS
. tricky to play
. Greasus has awful rules

have fun converting and playing with a unique army of strong fat ugly monsters :chrome:

mistformsquirrel
26-10-2008, 16:18
(Inspired by a thread i saw on the 40k forum)
I currently am in the mood for another army (a mood i'm sure i'll regret:rolleyes:), and so i want to ask the fine folk of warseer why their army is the best. I currently have Dark elves, khorne daemons, mortals, and Tomb Kings.

P.S I don't want a flame war, so just list pros and cons of your army and don't bash other people's armies.
Thank you :)

<^_^> Play Chaos or we'll rip your throat out and use your head for a puppet!

(I think its a good argument >.>...)

the blind knight
26-10-2008, 16:38
Do you want an army, or do you want a way of life? I'm talking about an army that's not supported by GW: an army with no current model range and rules almost a decade old - but which still work. You want Ld 10 Heroes? We got 'em. You want fast cavalry that can get a 4+ save? We got that too.

With this army, you're getting an experience because you have to do everything yourself: either you scour ebay for bargains or you break out the green stuff. You can't just walk into a GW store and come out with a armful of models to make your army, you have to work at it. If you amass even a small army, you get a sense of pride. You're fighting the power and standing up against the man with this army, and becoming part of a corner of the hobby community that is so dedicated they collect, paint and game despite no support whatsoever from GW.

My friend, you will never need another army if you have this one. It will change the way you think about Warhammer.

Wait arent squats in 40k?::D

Anyway,you have two choices.The greenskins or Empire.The only diffrence I see between them,except skin colour is that the greens are the bad guys,and the empire are the good guys(I know they are not greenpeace but still beeter than orks.)

popisdead
29-10-2008, 04:02
Why not just pick an army you want to play, not one other people like playing? Just a question. You have to paint and play it.