PDA

View Full Version : best value: cheape$t 1500 pt army list

Victomorga
26-10-2008, 00:33
we've all seen plenty of threads where new players are looking for advice on how to start and expand a 40k army with limited funds.

I want to see the cheapest 1500 pt. competitive army list you can put together.

any army, the force has to be 1500 pts., assume you already own the codex. any cost should either be straight GW price, or a standard (not sale) discount price from a reputable online retailer (i.e. if you know a website with a standard 20% discount, that's fine, but no ebay auctions cause they come and go).

I can think of a few that would be off to a very strong start with two of their army box sets (necrons, SM, orks, nids), but they usually need to be fleshed out with metal minis or other box sets, so prices begin to creep upwards...

so lets hear it!

Bunnahabhain
26-10-2008, 00:36
Codex marines.
Black reach , times X ( 2 , I think) until you hit 1500pts. There's easily enough bits in there to convert all the unusual models you use.

This is before you sell the orks off, or swap them with a friend in return for the marines in their black reach box....

Bjorn
26-10-2008, 00:40
Marines.

End.

Lionsbane
26-10-2008, 00:59
Marines/Orks currently cannot be beat for value. Three Black Reach boxes gets you over 1500 pts. Then sell the unused models and two of the rule books on Ebay to recoupe most of the cost.

Some converting and your force wouldn't be too bad either.

The Base
26-10-2008, 01:09
Pure Cadian IG armies could compete if you use just the standard plastic models for everything.

2 Battle force boxes + 1 or 2 Shock Troops boxes has got to be able to make a 1500 point army if you load up on upgrades.

On $ to model value it is clearly the best even if on doesn't beat Marines on $ to points.

shin'keiro
26-10-2008, 03:07
One box of black reach - swap out the orks with an ork playing buddy and you have 1500 points of marines for £40!

Victomorga
26-10-2008, 03:11
One box of black reach - swap out the orks with an ork playing buddy and you have 1500 points of marines for £40!

is it 1500? it doesn't seem like enough models:

2x terminator squads
2x tac squads
2x dreadnaughts
2x SM commander

BladeWalker
26-10-2008, 03:32
What about Necrons? The battleforce box is nearly 1000 as it is, just add a Lord, and whatever else you want for the 500 more. Seems the price would be comparable to Marines but probably not as good of an army due to Codex creep...

Dark Empire
26-10-2008, 03:58
Codex marines.
Black reach , times X ( 2 , I think) until you hit 1500pts. There's easily enough bits in there to convert all the unusual models you use.

This is before you sell the orks off, or swap them with a friend in return for the marines in their black reach box....

That's exactly what I did with a bud of mine. He got tons of Orks, I got all the marines. I almost feel guilty about it.

I said almost.

iaguz
26-10-2008, 04:14
Black Reach owns you all basically. Although if you don't want to go that way, then a necron battleforce, Necron Lord, another Necron Warriors boxed set and a monolith would give you a decent army for about 300 bucks Australian.

victorpofa
26-10-2008, 04:27
Tyranids. $180 for the Assault Brood boxed army. The contents of two battleforces and a third Carnifex for the price of two battleforces. If unavailable just the two battleforces will make 1500 points if you stretch the points.

I was very surprised to discover you can barely make a 1500 point Marine and Ork army with 3 Black Reach boxes ($180) and be WYSIWYG. I would rather have a customizable Tyranid army than two inflexible armies, but it is technically the better deal.

I figured up the choices that would spend the most points and be believable with no conversions or additions and was 5 points short for both armies if you allow invisible Teleport Homers and Melta Bombs for Marines, and invisible stikk bombs for Orks. A Chapter Master and Captain, or two Captains are legal alternates but I ignored those as choices. Using two 7 man Terminator squads and a Ven Dread will be 20 points less than what I listed so plenty of wasted Terminators. :cries:

180 Chapter Master with Artificer Armor, Bolter, Power Sword, Meltabombs, Digital Weapons and Hellfire Rounds.

400 10 Terminators with Storm Bolters and Power Fists. Sgt has SB+PW
180 Venerable Dreadnaught with Multimelta and Extra Armor.
180 Venerable Dreadnaught with Multimelta and Extra Armor.

190 10 Tactical Marines with Flamer and Missile Launcher. Sgt has BP+CCW, Melta Bombs, and Teleport Homer.
190 10 Tactical Marines with Flamer and Missile Launcher. Sgt has BP+CCW, Melta Bombs, and Teleport Homer.
175 10 Tactical Marines with Flamer and Missile Launcher. Sgt has BP+CCW, and Melta Bombs.
Total: 1495 and Can't use 2 Terminator Sergeants, 3 Terminators, two Masters/Captains, and a Dreadnought.

110 Warboss with TL Shoota, Power Klaw, Cybork Body, Boss Pole, and 'eavy Armor.
110 Warboss with TL Shoota, Power Klaw, Cybork Body, Boss Pole, and 'eavy Armor.

310 10 Nobs with big choppas, Stikk Bombs, and 'eavy Armor. Taken as Troops or Elites.
155 5 Nobs with big choppas, Stikk Bombs, and 'eavy Armor. Taken as Troops or Elites.

345 30 Slugga Boys with 3 Big Shootas, 'Ard Boys, and Stikk Bombs.
195 30 Slugga Boys with 3 Big Shootas.

135 3 Deff Koptas with TL Rokkit Launchas.
135 3 Deff Koptas with TL Rokkit Launchas.
Total: 1495 and can't use a Warboss and 3 Deff Koptas.

YMMV.

Edit: I forgot about 3 Deff Koptas for the Orks. :eek: The list above does not use 3 of the Deff Koptas. You can remove the Stikk Bombs from the 'Ard Boys, and big Nob squad, add a Deff Kopta to one of the two squads, and be at 1500 points.

vman
26-10-2008, 04:34
i buy alot of my stuff from a group on ebay called "buy for less online"

to put it into perspective... here in australia an army box is $300 Aud and the Battalion or whatever they are called is $150...

If i buy an army box from this group on ebay i end up pay $150 for what would cost me $300 in shops... and the $150 box sets i usually pick up for about $80-90 aud

I also purchased the two black reach box sets and did the swap with a mate

its good value for money... but then you have to ask yourself... is 20 marines, 10 terminators, 2 dreads, and a HQ really all that competative?

DoktorZinieztro
26-10-2008, 04:36
Better yet, Necron Phalanx and Necron Battle Force (at bitkingdom DOT com) would cost you...

275 for the phalanx plus 66 for the BF... minus 20% (at the very least)... that's 272.8 US bucks... Add in free shipping...

Nate OWNS you. :p

Really, that's over 2000 points EASILY, and you really don't need any of the metal models.

Not as great value a value as AoBR X3 marines, but you get ALL army aspects covered.

Ben
26-10-2008, 08:45
Marines or Orks are the obvious ones. Deathwing and Ravenwing as well, as well as Necrons (2 boxes plus Lord plus a couple of bits as each battalion is 822 points 28 warriors = 504, 3 destroyers = 150 and 7 scarab swarms = 84)

Necrons - 2 battalions plus lord

Lord -Res Orb, Veil of Darkness -200

20 Necron Warriors - 360

20 Necron Warriors - 360

15 Necron Warriors - 270

3 Destroyers - 150

3 Destroyers - 150

10 Scarab Swarms - 120

This gives 1430 points and 4 leftover Scarab swarms. Against grunts this is an ok army due to high phase out for the points (62 Necrons gives a phase out of 16 Necron models). You have 70 points left over for something else (heavy destroyer? Tomb Spyder?). You can then up it to 2000 with a Monolith, another lord with res orb and more necron warriors) but at 1500 points, while you can't do much to vehicles except glance them a lot glances will add up.

Ravenwing - 3 boxes of Ravenwing plus master of the Ravening gives 1500 points of pretty reasonable stuff (and all of it scoring).

Deathwing - AoBR terminators are your friend. Get three squads worth of these, plus one spare terminator and three normal terminator boxes, and you have six squads plus captain, which puts you over 1500 and gives an assault cannon or cyclone to each squad.

2x Black Reach plus swapping the orks for more marines gives you more than 1500, but not a brilliant army.

2x Black Reach plus swapping the marines for more orks gives you more than 1500, but not a brilliant army.

If you are brand new and want to do marines or Orks, get Black Reach (or two) and work toward 1000 points (marines will be there, get the ork battalion as well, possibly by ebaying or swapping the marines, and Orks are at 1000 with some power klaws and more fast attack). Everything else have a careful read of the army book. The battalion will usually give you 3-500 points.

Ben
26-10-2008, 09:29
Two vanilla tactical squads are always a good choice for marines. Tactical squads are the best band for buck unit in the marine cdex.

For the terminator squads, acquire a terminator heavy weapon (cyclone or assault cannon, and cyclones will be easier to get hold of and require no real conversion to fit) and it makes the squad a lot more useful.

Thats 170 x 2 plus 230 for the terminators - 570 for three squads.

Add a captain with relic blade (130) as it is quite a big sword - 700

Add a vanilla dreadnought, extra armour, (120) - 820

Get a twin linked lascannon and missle launcher arm for dreadnought, give to other dreadnought, along with extra armour (160) - 980

Give the captain artificer armour (+15 points) and one of the tactical sergeants melta bombs, and (+5 points) and you've hit the magic 1000 points mark. If you've done this by buying one black reach and swapping marines, it has cost you £40, plus whatever it cost you to get the two dreadnought arms and either cyclone or assault cannon (I had the bits for the terminator, and swapping some guardians and the spare rulebook for the dreadnought weapons and some grey knights).

This gives a very solid 1000 point army, with two scoring units, a hard elite unit, and two dreads to wander about and make life difficult for your opponent. And it is very easy to expand this army. Given the cheap stuff you can get on ebay first thing I would add would be bolter/heavy bolter scouts for 85 points, a Whirlwind for 85 points, a vindicator w/extra armour for 130 (300 so far) and a third tactical squad (plasma gun, plasma cannon) and add a power weapon to one of the original tactical squads.

Terminator squads are a hard elite choice, but tactical terminators need a heavy weapon. Dreads are fun, particularly in a cityfight environment. But concentrate on getting your first 1000 assembled and painted and play a few quick games to establish your play style and how you want to do things. However the two tactical squads will be with you for the life of the army (though you might give the sergeants a power weapon in the future). The marine battleforce is a good buy, giving you 15 more vanilla marines, 5 scouts, 5 assault marines and a rhino. Combine this with a devastator box and you've got two devastator combat squads, a third tactical squad and a 5 man assault squad, and you can either use the Rhino with a tactical squad or see if you can get hold of a Vindicator or Whirlwind or razorback sprue to make it into something else. This should get you to 1500 easily and give you a pretty varied army.

Victomorga
26-10-2008, 23:43
I was looking at the GW website checking out pricing, and I really can't see how any players could start getting into WH until they get themselves some plastics. I've always liked SoB, but ten un-customizable models for $40? they must be the most expensive army to field (DH have a lot of metal in their range too, but they can flesh out their ranks with plastic IG and SM.

AoBR is a lot better for SM than for orks. the point cost of a standard boy is so low; I think you would need at least two ork battleforce boxes along with the AoBR stuff, and one or two boxes of lootas.

as the discount sites go, the only one I have used is www.chaosorc.com, which I first found my way to after seeing their ad banners here on warseer. I've ordered from them and had no problems at all, and they have good prices on models from the AoBR box.

devik
27-10-2008, 00:14
Pure Cadian IG armies could compete if you use just the standard plastic models for everything.

2 Battle force boxes + 1 or 2 Shock Troops boxes has got to be able to make a 1500 point army if you load up on upgrades.

On $ to model value it is clearly the best even if on doesn't beat Marines on $ to points.

The cadian battleforce is the best value box that I've seen, so far. I think it works out to about $135 worth of models, not counting the terrain bits you get? All of this for $90 (or cheaper if your LGS gives a discount, like mine).

Victomorga
27-10-2008, 00:26
The cadian battleforce is the best value box that I've seen, so far. I think it works out to about $135 worth of models, not counting the terrain bits you get? All of this for $90 (or cheaper if your LGS gives a discount, like mine).

I have never heard of a LGS giving any kind of discount on GW merch. the profit margin is already so low, they usually can't afford to make any less than usual on the GW stuff.

susu.exp
27-10-2008, 01:05
The footslogging Orks box for Apoc is about 1.4k points for 175$ US. Only slightly worse than AoBR if you´ve got nobody to share the cost and take the marines (and of course: More posable boys).

Brother_Marius
27-10-2008, 03:22
If you're paying off the shelf prices, then I agree with the others who've said marines.
But for serious cash savings I go Ebay, bitskingdom, apocabitznow, warstore and a couple others I can't remember off the cuff. It's not as satisfying as leaving the store with a huge bag loaded with models, but if you can wait I'd go that way.
Always check ebay for armies being sold off. Seems alotta folks jump on the hobby, spend a boatload of money on stuff and do a mediocre job putting it all together and finally just unload it all for cheap.
Just looking now I see several armies in various stages of repair for less than $300 US (what's that $50 CAD now? /kidding!) and it looks like some of them are under 200, and run up around 2k pts.
Only bad bit with that is the potential for problems with the seller, but if you use paypal your money's protected.
Not quite what the OP wanted, but with a little poking I'm sure ya can make out well
Oh another thing, look for sellers on ebay that offer free shipping! There always seem to be a few out there. Also some of the sites folks listed in the thread also offer free ship for a certain purchased amount.

zoodog
27-10-2008, 03:26
cheepest army is always the one sold by the person who has to get rid of it. I saw 2000+ points sold for $50 because his wife said it had to go.

Victomorga
27-10-2008, 03:37
The footslogging Orks box for Apoc is about 1.4k points for 175$ US. Only slightly worse than AoBR if you´ve got nobody to share the cost and take the marines (and of course: More posable boys).

does that come with all the bits to equip all of them either shoota boyz or slugga / choppa?

susu.exp
27-10-2008, 06:40
does that come with all the bits to equip all of them either shoota boyz or slugga / choppa?

Yup. It´s basically 10 Boys boxes + a Warboss. So 10 Nobs, 100 Boys and a Waarghboss.

DoktorZinieztro
27-10-2008, 07:36
Yup. It´s basically 10 Boys boxes + a Warboss. So 10 Nobs, 100 Boys and a Waarghboss.

That's right... but while legal, it's a wee bit limited and you still have no heavy support.

Although 175 minos a 20% discount makes for a very affordable horde costing you 1.4 bucks per boy. Not too shabby, I reckon.

BrianC
27-10-2008, 08:13
I think the Green Tide is only available direct from GW so you won't see any further discount on it. I'm not convinced that it works out any better value than buying Black Reach Orks as it works out as £9 per ten Boys and £9 for the Warboss, Black Reach Orks are available in sets of ten Boys for £5 from UK Bitsellers, getting on for half the price!

As has been said if you don't mind converting or buying in bits you can build a substantial Ork Horde using Black Reach, 200 Boys (around £100) would give you the basis of some very large Mobs, Stormboys (GW still sell the bits separately if you can't make rocket packs), Lootas (any heavy weapon mounted on the shoulder will do), Flashgits and so on. If some of that 200 Boys came from Black Reach boxsets you'd have Nobs to go in those Mobs, a Warboss, and loads of Deffkopters.

This is what I'm planning on doing with my Son's Christmas present, it should be a lot of fun sitting down together and fleshing out his Ork Horde.