PDA

View Full Version : 1k Beasts of Chaos

lotrchampion
26-10-2008, 04:07
Wowsers, a Fantasy army with the 'Beasts of Chaos' tag that is actually Beasts of Chaos....lol....

Anyway, despite the fact that the forces of Chaos in the Old World now have Daemons of Chaos and Warriors of Chaos nice, shiny, up-to-date and nastified, I am still very much tempted by Beastmen. Recently re-read 'Knight Errant' by Anthony Reynolds, and deespite not being the best BL book ever, it's got some very evocative descriptions of Beastmen which I wouldn't mind seeing on the battlefield. I also love the idea of having an army which is nearly all Skirmishers, and yet still rather violent. Anyway, here is my little list for 1000pts.

The Shadowed Flame-1000pts Beasts of Chaos

Varnak of the Shadowed Flame
Wargor
-Mark of Tzeentch
-Chaos Armour, Staff of Darkoth, Talisman of Protection
[180]

The Blood Seekers
15 Bestigors
-Mark of Nurgle
-Full Command
-War Banner
[285]

The Hidden Flames
11 Gors w/ Additional Hand Weapon
6 Ungors
-Full Command
[136]

The Endless Tide
6 Ungors
-Full Command
[136]

The Speeding Fire
5 Centigors
-Full Command
[130]

The Shadow Maw
5 Centigors
-Full Command
[130]

The army is based around some good old fashioned straight-forward violence. One Beast herd acts as a screen for the pricey Bestigor and Wargor while the Centigors sweep around the flanks. The second Beast herd is able to ambush where necessary. The Staff of Darkoth allows a speedy charge when most needed, and the Mark of Nurgle on the Bestigors means that when used in concert with a second charging unit, any enemy who loses combat against them should flee fairly easily. Swarm, flank, and rip apart. :)

In themed terms, the Shadowed Flames warband is led by the Warrior-Shaman Varnak, follower of Tzeentch. He believes that he was given his form by Tzeentch as a blessing, and that in exchange for it he should aid the Change Lord in bringing about his nefarious plans through the use of his bloody axe. His warband uses stealth and speed to strike the enemy at the heart, sowing discord and confusion like flames at the heart of a forest. When the Old World stands in flames and under the shadow of Tzeentch, Varnak will be at the heart of ruin.

In painting/modelling terms, I will be converting Varnak from the Wargor with twin hand weapons, replacing one with a suitable staff. The only other major modelling change is that instead of dishing out 70 for 10 Centigors, I will be dishing out 24 for 10 of the new Marauder Horsemen. I will use the bodies and legs of the Horse, and the torsos, weapons and arms of the Marauders. Then replacing the heads with Gor heads and finally GS-ing some fur around the joint.

Anyway, thats my ambitious little plan for my Beastmen army. I've never even faced Beastmen before, never mind used them, so I could really do with some C+C on the list. It doesn't need to be tournament standard sickness, only able to perform capably.

Thanks! :)

WhiteKnight
26-10-2008, 04:25
Yeah, the bestigors can't have the mark of nurgle. BoC cannot mix marks like warriors and daemons can. The list is good for 1k. Its fast and FYI, the wargor cannot have Staff of Darkoth, only bray shamans can.

Hawkmoon
26-10-2008, 05:24
The basic idea is good but it needs a few tweaks.

I've never really been a fan of bestigors. They're expensive for what they do and don't have the flexibility of movement that most other things in the BoC have.

I'd loose them and replace the unit with another beastherd.

Then buy some dogs with whatever points you have left.
At 30 points for 5 Chaos hounds are one of the best deals around and used properly can fill a wide variety of roles on the battlefield.

If you can I'd bulk up the beastherds a little too.

lotrchampion
26-10-2008, 23:09
OK, thanks a lot for those points. At the moment I'm using Army Builder (picking up the book when I get paid) to write the list, and it didn't throw an error at either of the things mentioned by WhiteKnight, so thanks for letting me know. The NoN was mainly because I thought thematically the Bestigors would cause Fear, but no matter.

Bestigors seemed to me to form a solid core unit for the force-admittedly they aren't as flexible, but thats whaat the 2 Beast heards are for. I also like the idea of a) having a 'Bodyguard' for the Wargor (again, something taken from me reading 'Knight Errant') and b) having a unit that can pack a real punch.

Anyway, the Army List Mk2:

Wargor
-Mark of Tzeentch
-Additional Hand Weapon
-Chaos Armour, Talisman of Protection
[146]

15 Bestigors
-Mark of Tzeentch
-Full Command
-War Banner
[285]

12 Gors w/ Additional Hand Weapon
6 Ungors
-Full Command
[143]

6 Ungors
-Full Command
[136]

5 Centigors
-Full Command
[130]

5 Centigors
-Full Command
[130]

5 Warhounds
[30]

5 Warhounds
[30]

Total cost: 1000pts

2 large mobs of Skirmishers, 2 units of effective cavalry, 2 multi-purpose speed units, 1 hard hitting infantry unit and 1 supporting caster/lord.

Quick thought: A level 2 Bray Shaman with Chaos Armour and the Staff of Darkoth comes to 145 points. Would it be worth swapping the Wargor out for this build?

Thanks for the feedback so far, please keep it coming! :)

WhiteKnight
26-10-2008, 23:27
A level 2 bray shaman would be good but remember, he cannot have the mark of tzeentch. So if you want to run a bray shaman with your army, play slaanesh. That gives your units immune to psychology which is REALLY helpful for this army which is very poor in leadership. Or you can run a nurgle army which is equally as good.

lotrchampion
27-10-2008, 02:06
OK, well I think I'll stick with the Wargor-Shaman build, since the Lore of Tzeentch is very nice indeed. That aside, does the list look ok? Anything really 'essential' to a Beastmen army that I've missed? Any gaping holes in my plans? Anything that anyone can help me with would be greatly appreciated. :)

Rip456
27-10-2008, 07:33
I think the list looks really good I agree with you on the bestigors gotta have some static CR somewhere and its cool to see a beast Tzeentch player I really like the lore though alot of people say its to random good luck killing in the name of chaos