PDA

View Full Version : Fifth Edition

Razor Devil
26-10-2008, 06:46
Hey guys, I've been busy for the past year and haven't gone to a GW store because of rl problems, but I heard on this forum that 5th ed was out. I couldn't read up on it because of the above rl problems although I had just enough time to read SOME subscriptions.
So anyone care to enlighten me to some major changes without breaching copyright laws? *cough cough*

EDIT: By the way, I'm a cron player so are there any changes that will affect the Necrons a lot?

sigur
26-10-2008, 06:50
Stuff can run again. Stuff can not consolidate into new combats. More and better cover saves. Defensive Weapons are S4 now. Vehicles are a tiny bit tougher. "Seize initiative" is the cutest rule ever.

Overall, the game got a bit better again.

Warforger
26-10-2008, 06:56
Well firstly, the newest codex as usual that has come out for 5th edition is Space marines.

Run is a awesome rule for armies that rely on movement as a major factor (close range/Assault armies) iWhat else is awesome is that its for every unit (unless they normally can't)

the old LoS rules are gone, now you just bend down and see from your models point of view.

True Grit is gone (making alot of Units with it obsolete)

FNP, Rending have been nerfed.

Outflank is a option for scouts/infiltrators, basically if they want to outflank they can stay in reserve.

However Kill Teams and Combat Patrols have gone away for some strange reason....

Victory Points has been replaced by kill points (which Kill Points is pretty stupid TBH)

Troops are the only ones who can capture objectives, so no more predator Annhilator sitting back and holding an objective.

Playa
26-10-2008, 10:22
Hey,

anyone care to enlighten me to some major changes

http://tinsoldier.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=129.0

Playa

dblaz3r
26-10-2008, 10:26
the old LoS rules are gone, now you just bend down and see from your models point of view.

You mean the old LoS rules are back ;)

leonmallett
26-10-2008, 10:40
Deployment has also been improved and has sped up as a result (at least in my experience).

IJW
26-10-2008, 11:13
Don't all the units that still have it have the rules for it in their codex?

Victory Points has been replaced by kill points
To expand a bit further on that, two out of three missions are based purely on objectives rather than what you kill, with VPs then used as a tie-breaker if you wish, with the third mission being based on how many units you kill.

Maidel
26-10-2008, 12:19

Scaremonger!

Not true at all.

From the Space wolves FAQ:

True Grit: Use as written.

Razor Devil
27-10-2008, 07:31
Thanks guys, this was a great help, although I'm not sure if I'm ever gonna play 40k again anytime soon. But thanks anyway.

Warforger
27-10-2008, 07:36
Scaremonger!

Not true at all.

From the Space wolves FAQ:

nah there were still few units that needed the Universal rulebook, like in the 4th ed codex giving models true-grit, and even still Death Watch, they rely on the universal rulebook for the ability.

Razor Devil
27-10-2008, 10:45
By the way, can anyone give me directions to access army FAQs? Because, although sometimes I find them on the website, sometimes I just can't seem to find it. And I don't mean a link, I actually mean directions. Thanks.

As for the rending thing, will that make shooting renders ineffective (eg rangers), or is shooting rending not nerfed because it doesn't actually state that it's called rending in the rules for [insert shooting render]?

As in, I'm pretty sure that for the ranger (and pathfinder) entry that they ignore armour saves on a 6 (or was it 5+ for rangers?) but it didn't actually state that it was rending and that you had to refer to the universal rules.

IJW
27-10-2008, 11:08
By the way, can anyone give me directions to access army FAQs? Because, although sometimes I find them on the website, sometimes I just can't seem to find it. And I don't mean a link, I actually mean directions. Thanks.
Gaming>Errata & FAQ Articles.

As in, I'm pretty sure that for the ranger (and pathfinder) entry that they ignore armour saves on a 6 (or was it 5+ for rangers?) but it didn't actually state that it was rending and that you had to refer to the universal rules.
Nope, Eldar snipers get their special rules AND Rending, as Rending is now part of the rules for all sniper rifles.