PDA

View Full Version : gut magic

ahk3927
26-10-2008, 05:49
Let's say there is a unit with RIP spell already from previous turn.
You know your opponent has several DD and want to get rid of that spell before our combat takes place.
What happens if I cast another RIP spell on that unit but my opponent dispells my newly castes spell?
Does that mean RIP spell from previous turn also dissolved?
I would appeciate it if you can tell me what really happens there and show me the page number which I can quote from.

Thanks

BEEGfrog
26-10-2008, 09:52
Let's say there is a unit with RIP spell already from previous turn.
You know your opponent has several DD and want to get rid of that spell before our combat takes place.
What happens if I cast another RIP spell on that unit but my opponent dispells my newly castes spell?
Does that mean RIP spell from previous turn also dissolved?
I would appeciate it if you can tell me what really happens there and show me the page number which I can quote from.

Thanks

Need more information, e.g. is the spell being cast by a different magic user, which spells etc.

In general, each spell would need to be dispelled separately, but if it is a RIP, it is automatically dispelled if the same MU casts another spell.

Try reading the magic section slowly from end to end, if you are a fast reader like me then use a finger next to the text to slow you down (this helps prevent you from missing stuff). Then do the same for the magic section of the ogre book for special rules. It will stick better if you find it yourself.

theunwantedbeing
26-10-2008, 10:38
RiP spells only dispel previous RiP spells under the following circumstances:
1. They directly conflict (ie, one spell prevents movement, the other makes the unit move)
2. The RiP spell is being kept in play by the mage who is currently trying to cast a new RiP spell(this is slightly different with Gut magic as they follow a different set of rules)
3. The spell is a gut magic spell, so any spell cast on a unit already affected by a gut magic spell will have that spell dispelled and replaced by the new one (if successfully cast of course)

Fairly sure that covers it all.
Read through the gut magic section in the Ogre Kingdoms book and the end of the magic section in the Rulebook for more info, it's all clearly listed in there.

Atrahasis
26-10-2008, 10:39
No more information is required.

Gut Magic spells are not "Remains in Play", and only end when dispelled or another Gut magic spell is successfully cast on the unit.

So, in your example, dispelling the spell as it is cast will mean that the spell already in play remains. If he wants to stop both in the same phase he'll need to dispel the spell being cast, and then also dispel the spell in play.
The way that requires least dice is to allow the spell to be cast and then dispel that spell in the next magic phase, but obviously this means leaving the unit buffed for a turn.

EvC
26-10-2008, 12:38
Also dispelled when the Butcher who cast the spell dies... stupidly.