PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of starting this game...

bravey
26-10-2008, 16:41
I am thinking of starting this game, but I have a few questions:

1: What rule book should I use? I REALLy dont want to have to pay $50 dollars for the rule book:mad:

2: How do I get the stats for the figures? Do I have to use army books?

3: what should I plan on spending if I start a Isengard army and a Rohirrim army at once?

Simon Sez
26-10-2008, 18:19
Well the Mines of moria has a small rulebook...

... But most profiles are in the large one, with others scattered among the sourcebooks.

For example if you wanted to collect and play all of Isengard and Rohan you would need.

The Rulebook(Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn, Gamling, Captain, Rider/Warrior of Rohan, Rohan Royal Guard) (Saruman, Grima, Lurtz, Sharku, Uruk-Hai Warrior/Scout, Uruk hai Berserker, Orc Warrior, Warg Rider, Ballista, Demolition Charge)
The Two Towers Journeybook (Theodred, Hama, Erkenbrand, Rohan Outriders) (Vrasku, Ugluk, Isengard Troll, Feral Uruk Hai, Dunlendings)
A Shadow in the East (Eorl the Young)

As for starting armys well like the other two systems a good idea is to use the Battle Force sets, at 50.00 they save you some money and fill a fair few points (actually I'm looking on this awful new GW site, and I can't find them. Are they still sold?!)

In summary you will probably need the big book no matter how painful it is parting with $50.00, unless you've got a generous friend that you can copy profiles out of, then you can buy the Mines of Moria set and use the small book.

bravey
26-10-2008, 19:06
Hmmmm. Are there any places online where I can buy the rule for cheap?

HsojVvad
26-10-2008, 19:23
I would get the Mines of Moria box set. You get all the Fellowship and a bunch of Goblins and a Cave Troll and some Mines or Moira Scenery.

All the chareacters from the movie are in the Mini Rule Book that is included in MoM. After wards when you have more money get the Rule book, you will not regret it, that is what I did. I strongly recomend getting MoM box set and not the ORB (one rule book) since you get no minis then.

Try E Bay if you want to get some things cheap.

bravey
27-10-2008, 00:13
I read some where that the return of the king book has stats for all the figures. Is this true? Also, does the big rulebook have stats for mordor, elves, dwarves, gondor, and rangers?

Pitalla Crimson
27-10-2008, 06:58
well depends wath armie you want to play with because LOTR its getting army books now wich are:
Gondor in Flames , Harad, Mordor , Kazadum (goblins and dwarves)

return of the king rulebook its the 3rth edition and we are currently in 4rth.

bravey
27-10-2008, 16:18
Ok, so do I need the main rule book for stats or do I need the army book? I really want to to play gondor vs. mordor, do would I need the rulebook, the gondor in flames book, and the mordor book???

C-Coen
27-10-2008, 17:17
Ok, so do I need the main rule book for stats or do I need the army book? I really want to to play gondor vs. mordor, do would I need the rulebook, the gondor in flames book, and the mordor book???

Well for some basic stats, the main rulebook would be enough, but for all rules, you should get both those 'armybooks' too, yes.

fer
27-10-2008, 18:37
imo, if your going to be playing, your going to be playing with others that probably already have all the sourcebooks and stuff like that...and owning a sourcebook simply for a rule or profile for some friendly games is a bit much in my book

so get a game or three under your belt and then start buying the resources you need for the army that your likely to build...

cheers!

Pitalla Crimson
27-10-2008, 19:49
if you wanna play mordor then get mordor rulebook.
if you wanna play gondor then get gondor in flames.

those got all the stats and rules of their troops and characters, no need to get the giant book if you only want to play those armies.

bravey
27-10-2008, 20:38
So I just need the Mines of moria book, and the mordor and gondor books? Does anyone have a Mines of moria book I could buy from them for cheap?

Mjollnir
28-10-2008, 01:12
As this is my first post, I'll like to say "hi" to everyone before posting. I am new to playing LOTR, although I have been collecting for a while now....:angel:

Anyways, on to the thread.

One of the things you may want to check out Bravey is the GW website itself. Although it is rather poor at the moment following the merge, data is starting to show up on the website. Currently under the gaming articles for LOTR on the US website is "Warrior and Hero Profile Summaries". All of the character stats and rules profiles are provided in .pdf format for all of the supplements. No point spending money on books when you could spend it on models! Just pick up the basic rule book for the rules (of course) and the main stats and the website can fill in the gaps.

I would recommend however that you head to your closest GW and check out the supplements that you may be interested in. Some of the supplements have nice photos and scenarios. If you like the book, try to see if you can grab a copy cheap.

bravey
28-10-2008, 02:20
Thanks Mjollnir! Thats a HUUUGE relief! I have have decided that that was the most helpful first time post ever. :)

Thanks a million!

neXus6
28-10-2008, 11:40
Gotta agree with bravey, great first post there Mjollnir. :D

Myself I've played a couple of games of LotR and have some bits and pieces, I'm looking into making some more themed small armies possibly as a way to keep in the hobby as a whole (I love a lot of the LotR models, real scale is better than heroic scale in my opinion).

One problem I do seem to run into with LotR is the games I have played (usually between 300-700pts) tend to break down into both players moving all their models into the middle of the board and then rolling dice for an hour till everyones dead...I know partly this is because I've mostly played without a scenario, but even when I have had a scenario game things have kinda gone the same way.

So far in my head the ways to stop this include using a huge amount of scenery so having both armies in 2 blocks that walk at each other is impossible, hopefully making it play a little more like a warband game, also taking an all cav force so I need to use movement more (but that kinda stops a number of the planned themed armies I want).

Has anyone got any other suggestions on how to fix what I seem to be doing wrong?

You'd think after 15 years of wargaming I'd be able to solve the problem on my own.
:p

nesbit37
28-10-2008, 12:49
Its kind of hard to prevent massing like that for a few reasons, a lack of skirmishing units for most armies, priority, and good not being able to shoot into their own crowd. You can use throwing weapons to harass, but once someone wins priority they are going to close the gap and engage ending that game. Other then that all you can do is keep your units broken up into smaller squads and have some general strategy in mind. Hopefully your opponent will be mindful of what you are doing and worry about getting flanked and surrounded, but if they don't care there isn't much you can do.

Melee combat is still the name of the game, and those units have to engage at some point. There is nothing to say that when you win priority you can't retreat or shift if you give yourself enough room.Surviving units do get pushed back an inch after melee combat is resolved, which should be enough space for you to disengage and concentrate elsewhere.

It also depends on what army you are playing. I primarily play dwarves, and though they get outrun they can at least typically hold off a larger force with only a small number of dwarves long enough for some other units to loop around and get in at the sides. You aren't going to get large scale sweeping movements in this game except with cavalry, its all about the little movements you take when the melee groups collide.

fer
28-10-2008, 14:43
as for cheaper books you can look for used resources on places like ebay, just make sure you get the right version of things (less critical with lotr atm but definitely something to consider for warhammer or 40k)

neXus6
28-10-2008, 16:07
Cheers nesbit, that at least gives me a better understanding of things, my Warhammer trained mind probably overlooks just how much effect the small individual manuvering in a big fight has.

Watching some videos of large organised groups of football hooligans fighting the idea of two groups of 30 guys in a close formation despite having acres of open space to run about in is actually a reality of massed melee combat.

My eyes are opened. :D

bravey
28-10-2008, 17:01
is scifigenre a website I can trust? They have really good discounts on all things games workshop, which is handy. I just wish there were more people in columbia who played LoTR's...

HsojVvad
29-10-2008, 00:23
I still say get the Mines of Moria box set, unless you don't want to do the Fellowship. Do you have a GW store close to you? Check it out if you can, they should be able to answer questions for you and play a game with you so you get a good feel for it.

bravey
29-10-2008, 01:40
I dont want to do the fellowship, and the closest games workshop store is in st.louis, which is 170 miles away...Bugger.

neXus6
29-10-2008, 08:16
Ach, find an online store with a good discount, pick up the rulebook and a couple of models you like the look of, and then worst comes to worst you've got an okay quality hardback book with some nice pictures and a couple of models you like to paint up. :)

Titivillus
29-10-2008, 14:47
Bravey, you may want to try the Warstore. The offer 20% off US retail on GW stuff, but I think that for those of you in the US, the shipping is also very reasonable (like 4.99 or something? I never paid attention; their Canadian shipping is steep). They also knock off a little bit more of the price - and have some specials - during their Thanksgiving sale. It may be worth waiting until then, if you can.

bravey
29-10-2008, 15:11
Ok, I found the rulebook for $42 dollars on sci-fi-genre. I will probably order that sometime around christmas.(for now, though, I gots'ta work on me O&G army)

HsojVvad
29-10-2008, 23:37
I dont want to do the fellowship, and the closest games workshop store is in st.louis, which is 170 miles away...Bugger.

Ah I see your predicement. Did you try Ebay?

Etienne de Beaugard
29-10-2008, 23:44
@Bravey - Unless you really want a hardbound book, most of the basic profiles you will need are in the Mines of Morian Pamphlet. You can get used Mines of Moria sets on ebay and resell the minis you don't want.

@neXus6 - Who needs football hooligan videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB5T8U1Vyw0

Pitalla Crimson
29-10-2008, 23:45
GW stores are very very expensive atm, I used to buy alot from them but not anymore, since they are too expensive.

However the warseer wayland games store its amaizing! loads of discoounts! 25% in most things.

neXus6
30-10-2008, 10:58
Ahahaha, fair point Etienne but I still recon massed hooligan brawls are the closer, more fear and anger than a battle reinactment.

bravey
30-10-2008, 15:33
GW stores are very very expensive atm, I used to buy alot from them but not anymore, since they are too expensive.

However the warseer wayland games store its amaizing! loads of discoounts! 25% in most things.

Where is this store?

bufordbugman
31-10-2008, 13:20
One problem I do seem to run into with LotR is the games I have played (usually between 300-700pts) tend to break down into both players moving all their models into the middle of the board and then rolling dice for an hour till everyones dead...I know partly this is because I've mostly played without a scenario, but even when I have had a scenario game things have kinda gone the same way.

So far in my head the ways to stop this include using a huge amount of scenery so having both armies in 2 blocks that walk at each other is impossible

I have to say that I haven't found this a problem. Our group mostly plays scenarios from Legions. Sometimes because of scenario objectives, sometimes because of an avoidance or flanking tactic, two or more different battles usually break out in different parts of the field. In some scenarios like Domination, Clash of Piquets, or Take and Hold, one is almost forced to have different groups moving around doing different things, which is loads of fun. I'd recommend trying one of these scenarios. (Make sure on the last two you take full advantage of deploying foes' troops in widely separated groups! It makes for excellent little skirmishes all over...).

Oh, and putting a bunch of terrain down to create narrowed pathways going this way and that rather than a big open space in the middle will indeed have a positive effect even in a scenario which doesn't encourage small group battles.