PDA

View Full Version : 3 Wolves on a heroes Battlewagon???

Dr.Zahnfleisch
26-10-2008, 22:21
Is it possible to attach an additional wolf to the battlewagon of a Goblin-Heroe?

The Armybook says that the heroe can be equipped with a wolf-battlewagon.
The battlewagon itself has got the option of adding another wolf / a crew meber.

So the heroe's wagon should have the same, right?

Braad
26-10-2008, 22:31
No, you can't.
Only the normal chariot from the special choices has options for equipping with extra crew/wolves. The one of the bosses is not chosen from the special section anymore but is chosen as a mount, and has no additional options as such.

Its a bit annoying yes, I got a great model for Grom the Paunch, but I can only use it as himself, not as a normal big boss because of this.

Dr.Zahnfleisch
26-10-2008, 23:03
Are you sure about that? It would be terrible....

Sure it is chosen as a mount, but each mount has got rules that need to be shown somewhere in the Armybook.

In fact, there are two entries about the Battlewagon in the Armybook. The one in the Army List Special Section and the other is set before, where there is a little text about the fluff and the stats. This one doesn't say anything about the amount of wolves that can be taken. The armylist-entry does say something about that, which implies that this entry is the one to define the Battlewagons rules from.

...is there any official statement about that? I really want to know because im building my own model (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168148)

Braad
27-10-2008, 09:37
I'm quite sure about that, yes. And usually when no other answers are given, this is because people have nothing more to add, as in my experience with these boards. Or people are just lazy :p

But IIRC we had a discussion on this when the current O&G book was just released, and we came to the conclusion that, because it was a seperate entry in the army-list and didn't provide the options in itself, that it was therefore not possible to include any. The other entry, in the more fluffy section is the basic rules for a chariot. The armylist (in this case, a mount and a special) just provides the means for how to field and equip the units given in this section.

All entries in the armylist are however completely independent from each other, unless it specifically states it is not. Therefore the mount chosen for a big boss or warboss is completely seperate from the one in the special section and they do not share their options.

On the other hand, it now saves you a valuable special slot, so the loss of 1 extra wolf/crewman is not even that bad. On the other hand, gobbo chariots lost the 2 for 1 special rule. We can't have it all, can we.

BTW, your link doesn't work...

---EDIT---

Lots of talk for nothing... I found where I got it from, in the FAQ. It says about the same I just wrote down. You cannot buy anything for them, as you buy them as a monstrous mount and not as a special slot. Check here, last page, last question: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m470845_Orcs_and_Goblins_FAQ_2008-02_Edition.pdf

Condottiere
27-10-2008, 10:01
I suspect that in the next book, the third wolf won't be an option, since they removed the additional horses from the Tiranoc Chariot.

Dr.Zahnfleisch
27-10-2008, 10:55
Well, so two wolves must be enough right?
It will still look cool....thanks for your comments:)

btw. the link is fixed!

enyoss
27-10-2008, 11:47
You could always put three wolves on the model but make it clear to your opponent that there are only two wolves in game terms. Even if you have to put the model on a bigger base this will rarely give you any advantage (if ever) and will give a significant advantage to your opponent in that more models can fight against your hero.

For example, I use an ancient 3rd edition HE chariot with hero in my army. The model has 4 horses spread over 3 cavalry bases (for a total base size of 75x100mm) but I only ever use two horse attacks in the game. I'm happy to suffer the disadvantage of such a big base if I get to use the model!

Cheers,

enyoss

Faustburg
27-10-2008, 12:12
There is no allowance for taking a bigger base, even if it is only to your disadvantage.

If you have an old model like that, what you will have to do is point out what 50mm frontage is really there so to speak...

Braad
27-10-2008, 12:21
Ow right, the sleigh-thing. Is a nice one indeed.

On a side note, while the rules might not allow it officially, as enyoss says, at home you can do anything you like since there is no GW-police coming to your house, as long as you have friends that don't mind you using it.
If you want to stick as close to the rules as possible, take a normal chariot base (100x50) and put 3 wolves on (it should fit, seen it before!) and use them as 2 (the third only for visual stuff, but note this to your friends).
But if your friends think its okay to have your own go with the rules and you don't plan on visiting tournaments and shops, you might just as well include the third wolf and put them on a 100x75 base and pay the points for the extra wolf.
Or 4 wolves. Or 5. Nothing is set in stone, the only real rule is 'opponents consent'.

enyoss
27-10-2008, 12:59
If you have an old model like that, what you will have to do is point out what 50mm frontage is really there so to speak...

I thought that GW's stance on this was that the model must be used on the base it was bought with, which grandfathers in my chariot and its ostentatious base I believe :D. Of course, I'd always want my opponent to be happy with me using the model and if push came to shove I'd replace it with an inferior `official chariot', although I think it would be a pity that an allowance could not be made :(.

If you can fit the third wolf on a 50x100 base then don't even give it a second thought, get it on there!

Cheers,

enyoss

Faustburg
27-10-2008, 19:13
Nah, even when in this sense the grandfather clause could have been argued to apply, that was in previous editions of 40K.

Warhammer has never had such a rule.