PDA

View Full Version : A simple magic system for WFB

mageith
18-11-2005, 04:08
This is a simple magic system that will integrate into our current system fairly well, or so I think.

Summary: Wizards cast with the number of dice equal to their level. Dispellers use the same number of dice as the caster. Miscasts occur if any 1 is thrown.

Casting: Under this method, Wizards of level 1 and 2 may cast one of their lore spells using the number of dice up to their level once per turn. Wizards of level 3 or above may cast two spells.

Miscast Effects: The caster must equal or exceed the casting cost of the spell. If any of the dice comes up as a 1, the caster has miscast. If there is more than one 1, the effects are more dire.

1) Failed Spell!
2) A big Ouch! The character takes a Spell Wound that cannot be saved, nor regenerated nor ever be healed. The spells fails. Ogre Kingdoms and Orcs & Goblins use their own miscast table instead.
3) Itís All Over! If casting, Magic casting ends for the casting wizardís army. The character takes one Spell Wound. Ogre Kingdoms and Orcs & Goblins use their own table in addition.
4) Into the Vortex! The character rolling the dice is removed from play. If casting, magic use ends for all casting wizards of that army.

Dispel: Dispelling is generally part of the armyís ability. The player of the targeted army takes a number of dice equal to the number thrown by the casting player and attempts to equal or exceed that throw. If a character has a magic item or ability that augments dispelling, that character may be designated to attempt the dispel. However, that character is now susceptible to the effects of miscast.

Choosing Spells: Each wizard has as default spells the number up spells equal to to the wizardís level. So a third level wizard has spells number 1, 2 and 3 as default. The wizard may roll three dice, as usual, to see if the wizard can choose from among the higher spells instead.

Bound spells are dispelled based on the dispel roll of one die. Bounds spells with variable power levels are dispelled with the same number of dice that created them. Bound spells always go off and ignore the effects of 1s when creating the power level.

Dispelling spells in play: One attempt to dispel a spell in play each may be made each turn after the turn it was cast but not until the spell effect has gone off. Use up to the same number of dice that were used to originally cast the spell. In this case only the casting cost must be exceeded to dispel the spell.

Dwarfs add 1 to dispel rolls and are immune to the effects of miscasts.

Khorne armies add +1 to dispels and are immune to miscasts if they have at least one Khorne marked unit for each 500 points of the army based on the original size of the army. The marked units must be in play on the table and not fleeing. If the Khorne army falls below that, the effects of misdispels are applied to the Khorne marked unit closest to the enemy caster.

Orcs & Goblin shaman may add one dice to the number of dice they may use to cast spells for each large Orc or Goblin units fighting within 12 inches.

Tomb Kings. The Tomb king casters never suffer from miscasts or misdispells or the effects of miscasts or misdispels.

Tzeentch wizards get one additional dice that can be used for casting for each Tzeentch marked units that are in play on the table and not fleeing. These can be used by the Tzeentch wizards to cast additional spells above their normal maximum.

Trunks
18-11-2005, 04:46
The main problem with this that I see is that first a wizard has to succeed on his roll to cast, and then there is a greater than 50% chance that even though he succeeded, he fails due to his opponent getting the same number of dice as him every time (barring the army specific bonuses you laid out). This may make it pretty hard to get any spell off for the most part.

Your system also elminates some of the strategy of the magic phase. The gamble of "Do I cast this spell now to get rid of some dispel dice to cast another spell later?". With your system the order you cast things in really doesn't matter for purposes of being stopped (other than by a dispel).

Random Thought: What if level one and two wizards generated their level in dice and level three and four wizards generated double their level in dice (power for the wizard, dispel for the enemy) and there were no "default 2 army dice"? This would create a situation similar to what you have laid out when it comes to potential number of spells cast, but be a little more flexible (a high level mage could opt not to cast his most powerful spell, but try to cast a couple of weak ones which seems sensible). It would also allow the enemy to gamble a bit in deciding what they want to stop and the wizard controlling player gets to use a bit of strategy like the magic system currently allows (but wouldn't completely hose you based on how much magic you bring to the table like the curent system does). I'm a fan of the whole "gambling" strategy aspect of the current magic phase. You could let little pansy level 1 wizards cast their abysmal spells, and then hold on to dice to stop the level 4. Just a random thought. I'm certain there are flaws in this idea :)

This seems to create more friction than CvT's magic system of spellcasters generating their own friction. Was that intentional?

When it comes to bound spells, what would you do with Horror bound spells? These are, to the best of my knowledge, the only bound spells that potentially cannot be dispelled on one die (I think the highest bound spells normally go off on a 6 when you don't take into account Horrors). Not saying your solution to bound spells as a whole is bad (seems decent at first glance), just wondering here for the sake of argument.

mageith
18-11-2005, 06:42
The main problem with this that I see is that first a wizard has to succeed on his roll to cast, and then there is a greater than 50% chance that even though he succeeded, he fails due to his opponent getting the same number of dice as him every time (barring the army specific bonuses you laid out). This may make it pretty hard to get any spell off for the most part.
About 20-35% depending on how many dice are rolled. That's the design. Actually if he gets past the miscast, he'll have a higher than average roll (that is to say the rolls will average out to a higher number) and so dispelling probably won't be more than 50% at the point as it would be if miscasts weren't taken into account.

Your system also elminates some of the strategy of the magic phase. The gamble of "Do I cast this spell now to get rid of some dispel dice to cast another spell later?". With your system the order you cast things in really doesn't matter for purposes of being stopped (other than by a dispel).

While true, is that necessarily requisite to magic? The most important strategy comes more in picking from among your default spells or hoping for the more powerful non default spells. The easier spells will probably be cast first because the chances of a dire miscast are less. In addition, dispel scrolls will still exist and so must be pulled from the opponent.

Random Thought: What if level one and two wizards generated their level in dice and level three and four wizards generated double their level in dice (power for the wizard, dispel for the enemy) and there were no "default 2 army dice"? This would create a situation similar to what you have laid out when it comes to potential number of spells cast, but be a little more flexible (a high level mage could opt not to cast his most powerful spell, but try to cast a couple of weak ones which seems sensible). It would also allow the enemy to gamble a bit in deciding what they want to stop and the wizard controlling player gets to use a bit of strategy like the magic system currently allows (but wouldn't completely hose you based on how much magic you bring to the table like the curent system does). I'm a fan of the whole "gambling" strategy aspect of the current magic phase. You could let little pansy level 1 wizards cast their abysmal spells, and then hold on to dice to stop the level 4. Just a random thought. I'm certain there are flaws in this idea :)

I'll think about it. Are the wizards generating into a pool? It appears they are. If so, then we have part of the problem of the current system where the Wizard Lord is casting everything and the other wizards are relegated to caddies. However it might create a little more tension in the magic phase. It would also increase the number of spells that could be cast if a wizard Lord were in the game, ie, 8 dice would probably be at least three spells and maybe 4. Since the odds of missing would remain the same (unless the dispel dice were also pooled), more spells would go off. Most likely it would be the middling strong spells though.

One of the things I was trying to avoid was having to keep track of dice, though that wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker.

This seems to create more friction than CvT's magic system of spellcasters generating their own friction. Was that intentional?

It was in the back of my mind.

When it comes to bound spells, what would you do with Horror bound spells? These are, to the best of my knowledge, the only bound spells that potentially cannot be dispelled on one die (I think the highest bound spells normally go off on a 6 when you don't take into account Horrors). Not saying your solution to bound spells as a whole is bad (seems decent at first glance), just wondering here for the sake of argument.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Which book is this in?

Thanks for responding.

Mage Ith

mageith
18-11-2005, 14:50
Hmmm, this looks familiar...
I did post on one other place, but no one responded. I have suggested parts of it before. This is now a complete whole.

I guess familiarity breeds contempt? :)

Thanks for responding (I think)
Mage Ith

Trunks
19-11-2005, 04:17
In my little "Random Thought" I forgot to say that Wizards could only use their own dice. My random thought is essentially a modification of your idea. Keeping track of dice wouldn't be so hard, you could just put the dice next to each wizard on the battlefield if you wanted.

The "Horror" bound spells are what the Tzeentch Horrors generate. Essentailly, they have a choice of three spells and cast one for free as a bound spell at the beginning of the magic phase. The spell goes off at half the regiment's unit strength (So 16 Horrors make a Level 8 bound spell). It's in the Hordes of Chaos book.

mageith
19-11-2005, 19:13
In my little "Random Thought" I forgot to say that Wizards could only use their own dice.

Good. This would only be in casting, no?

The "Horror" bound spells are what the Tzeentch Horrors generate. Essentailly, they have a choice of three spells and cast one for free as a bound spell at the beginning of the magic phase. The spell goes off at half the regiment's unit strength (So 16 Horrors make a Level 8 bound spell). It's in the Hordes of Chaos book.
That's an anomoly. In order to deal with it that I'd say that a 6 on a dispel dice vs. a bound spell always works if I only had a general rule to work with.

However these spells are pretty powerful spells, IMO, that my system couldn't deal with very well. It would need special handling. It would be neat if that's the only effect that my system couldn't handle. Thre's probably more. I'm not too worried about stuff the gets weaker but stuff that gets stronger like the Horrors effects are problematic.

Cpt. Drill
20-11-2005, 01:40
I have a better magic system!

You roll a D6 then you randomly distibute those wounds among the opponents army!

Then you can make up any kind of eloborate back story to why 'Spearman X' died or why your general suffers a wound...

"IT WAS A REALLY BIG MOTH!"

"HE ISNT FEELING HIS BEST TODAY SO WENT HOME!"

"ITS MAGIC!"

see its fun and educational!

Trunks
20-11-2005, 07:27
Seems like someone forgot to take their Ritalin.

Cpt. Drill
21-11-2005, 20:12
Trunks is neither fun or educational

Chuffy
21-11-2005, 21:51
However Cpt Drill is violent.

And educational!

YAAAY!

I think the biggest weakness of your system is that it is just too punishing for wizards, anyone miscasts and there is trouble, the more ones you roll the worse it gets....it just bones over wizords completely. Plus it means more skilled and higher level wizords will blow up too much.

Cpt. Drill
21-11-2005, 22:28
With great power comes great responcibilty

Wizards have great reponcibility!

Yours system is okay but I think the current is smoother running