PDA

View Full Version : Making IG look higher tech, good or bad?

cuda1179
27-10-2008, 01:40
My first 40k Love is Imperial Guard. I have long wanted to make them look a little more modern. I once saw a GW modeling tutorial on how to put a Predator turret on a Chimera to make it look better and I got an idea. Can you do this with the Leman Russ too?
The Predator turrets will fit perfectly on a Leman Russ. I also like the FW rules for the Leman Russ Anihilator. But does it just look silly? Is high-tech Gurad and oximoron?

Lisiecki
27-10-2008, 02:08
My first 40k Love is Imperial Guard. I have long wanted to make them look a little more modern. I once saw a GW modeling tutorial on how to put a Predator turret on a Chimera to make it look better and I got an idea. Can you do this with the Leman Russ too?
The Predator turrets will fit perfectly on a Leman Russ. I also like the FW rules for the Leman Russ Anihilator. But does it just look silly? Is high-tech Gurad and oximoron?

NOT AT ALL!
the guard come from a million (literlally) diffrent worlds, each one having a diffrent level of tech. Just as its approprate to make medieval looking guard, so to is it approprate to have advanced guard
(after all, those forge worlds need to have there regiments as well)

Lionsbane
27-10-2008, 02:12
Depends on how much higher tech and how you go about it. If you go too high tech looking then their rules will not make sense. A simple predator turret swap is very minor though. Could even be explained as a field repair.

I know a gentleman who plays with T-80s for Russ' and based his infantry on the Colonial Marines from Aliens. He plays them as a splinter faction human group though, not allied with the Imperium. Looks very good on the field, but is about the upper end I'd go tech wise with guard. At one time I thought about doing Dark Age of Technology humans, however I'd have used Eldar or Tau rules.

Shangrila
27-10-2008, 02:46
my chimeras all have predator turrets and my leman russes are all elongated with FW turrets so i try to make them look as up-to-date as i can.

as for Colonial space marines i used cadians with catchacan arms it worked out pretty well... and i have a bunch of the cadian respirator upgrade packs.

cailus
27-10-2008, 02:55
IG need to be updated to be a bit more 40K looking - i.e. archaic yet futuristic.

Right now they're just historical rip-offs which is fine but I think they need to be 40K-ed up a bit more.

Templar Ben
27-10-2008, 03:18
I would prefer for them to look more like men at arms from the Middle Ages. Just those guys with lasers.

cailus
27-10-2008, 03:41
My own ideas would be similar to the picture of the Imperial Guardsmen in the 2nd edition Codex Imperialis rulebook.

Basically a guy wearing a trench coat, with a respirator and a mean as hell looking lasgun. Add all manner of Imperial insignia.

The Warzone figures actually look more IG than IG in my mind.

devik
27-10-2008, 05:21
I'm personally in favor of going either way with guard -- more technological, or less.

My IG personally are sorta near-future, they all look like modern day + 75 years or so. I also know people who give their IG a sort of medieval appearance; either works, since the Imperium is so huge.

Think about it modern-day; there's a few armies who are very technologically advanced. There's a LOT of armies who are using "standard" technology (such as 70s-era Soviet tech). Then, there's a few nations who have very low tech even in their armies, and some nations who have no modern technology at all - though these don't really have "armies" per se.

T_55
27-10-2008, 05:21
The guys just asking for a modelling opinion guys, without getting into pedantic details can we stay on topic.

Personally i've always felt the predator turret looked out of line with the leman russ design, simply because it was obviously a predator turret to me. If you where going to do it maybe sticking with the chimera chassis is better because it 'sleeker' (not really overall but you get the idea) then the leman russ chassis. But if your going to do it there's obviously no sane problem against it.

the1stpip
27-10-2008, 08:35
Why not?

There was one guy on here a while ago, where every Guardsman had a bulpup Steyr AUG style gun instead of a lasgun. It makes no ddidly difference to the rules.

Its your army, do what you want.

Xenobane
27-10-2008, 11:32

I don't know about the turret, but the Predator sponsons look great on a Leman Russ:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/171591
http://www.coolminiornot.com/168039

Octavius_Maximus
27-10-2008, 11:48
If you want advanced, i would buy Elysian Equipment sprues from forgeworld and use those Lasguns and special/heavy weapons on your units.

Or buy Elysians or course.

TheBigBadWolf
27-10-2008, 11:51
Anybody got any pics of a chimera with a predator turret, I think that would be quite good.

That reminds me, ive got to convert my predators to have the turret at the front of the tank, like the old ones :).

elite_dannux
27-10-2008, 12:33
Does anyone have a link to the Colonial Marines from Aliens miniatures?

Id really want to see those models.

jfrazell
27-10-2008, 13:08
Go For it!

Remember there is nothing keeping you from using alternate rules to represent these higher tech guard/AM boys.

*Eldar. Who’s more tech than eldar? Who’s more shooty in short range?
*Tau. Yes everyone’s standby choice for higher tech shooters.
*SOB’s. They could represent heavy infantry, especially in an inquisitor mix with regular guard. Exorcists are nothing if not high tech armored killers.

Also remember there are strong rumors for a new guard codex is 1st H 2009.

For the record, predator turrents with chimera bodies go together very well, especially if you trim the sides slightly to show the bottoms of the wheels, more like a real BMP.

Bunnahabhain
27-10-2008, 13:24
Done with even an element of good sense and skill, Higher tech guard can look very good indeed. This can take various forms, a couple of popular ones are:

An Elysian army. Not cheap, but very nice.

Head swaps and weapon conversions on cadians.

Updating the vehicles. Chimeras with an even stronger BMP influence, and post 1944 battletanks are popular.

High tech Guard is anything but an oxymoron. The main Marine high tech stuff is a sharper thing to hit you with, or way of travelling faster to hit you with something. The top end of technology in use by the guard tends to be very large guns indeed.

Lord Cook
27-10-2008, 15:22
What I love about the IG is that you can go either way and still be true to the background. Part of the fun of collecting Guard is making these sort of decisions, so go with wherever your mood takes you.

Coincidentally, Hellhounds look great with predator turrets as well.

ChaosTicket
27-10-2008, 15:28
High-tech guard come form high-tech worlds. Most Guard generally come from "medium" level worlds with military forces like modern military. High Tech Guard would like any number of Elite Science fiction forces.

I go with High Tech guard because it's more plausible to have them on worlds like Armageddon(which requireds heavy clothing, rebreathers, and transports to traverse).

Skitarii are a high tech force(though technically not Imperial Guard), used by the Adeptus Mechanicus, but they are much more "techy" with advanced technology beyond nearly anything guard have.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The leman russ Annihiliator is not that good, as in ganme it would only have 2 lascannons(does it get lascannon sponsors I wonder?), making it bad like a Predator Annihilator with heavy bolters.

Shatter Cake
27-10-2008, 15:41

There are a couple ways you can go:

If you want to spike up the armor they wear and make them look more "Archotech" you can make them agents of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Cybernetics everywhere and give them Carapace armor upgrade.

If you want a sleeker "high tech" look like eldar, you can make them a rogue trader force that uses alien technology and are borderline/out right tech heretics.

I saw a really nice tech heretics army a few years ago. Rough Riders on modified eldar bikes, sentinels with added eldar walker bits and tanks sensor pods all over them. I thought it looked pretty fantastic.