PDA

View Full Version : New Warriors of Chaos vs. Demons

Dexter099
27-10-2008, 03:34
This time I, your mortals chaos player, take on the demons in a brutal open slugfest.

I arrived at my local games workshop and watched the staff member teach and wallop a noobie empire player with the store demon army.

It was my turn now to teach the demons a lesson

My list was:

Heroes:

Exalted Champion: Chaos Runesword, barded chaos steed, shield, mark of slaanesh, bloodcurdling roar.

Core:

15 Warriors of Chaos: Halberds, Mark of Tzeentch, Full Command.

15 Warriors of Chaos: Shields, Mark of Nurgle, Full Command.

16 Marauders of Chaos: Shields and Light armor, Mark of Slaanesh, Full Command.

Special:

5 Knights of Chaos: Mark of Tzeentch, Full Command.

Rare:

Chaos Spawn.

He brought:

1 Herald of Khorne
1 Herald of Nurgle
1 Herald of Tzeentch
20 Bloodletters
9 Plaguebearers
10 Horrors

We were playing on the new GW modular gaming board, and we had no terrain that actually came into play.

He won the roll to deploy first, and made me deploy first.

I deployed (from right to left): Marauders, Chaos Knights with Exalted, Nurgle warriors behind chaos knights, Tzeentch Warriors, Chaos Spawn.

He deployed from left to right: Herald of Tzeentch, Horrors, Plagues with herald, Bloodletters with herald.

He rolled for spells and got debilitating pox for his nurgle guy and the 5 spell and flickering fire for his Tzeentch herald.

I won the roll to go first and made him go first.

DEMONS TURN ONE:
He moved up and had the horrors cast flickering fire at the marauders. It was somewhat out of range and he had nothing that went any further so he called his turn.

WARRIORS TURN ONE:
I moved everything up at an equal pace, careful not to get my spawn who went 10 and my knights from getting stranded too far from my battleline.

DEMONS TURN TWO:

Movement: Everything moved up about 7 inches.

Magic: The horrors targetted the knights with flickering fire and hit them with 3 S5 hits, killing one. The herald failed to cast the lvl. 5 Tzeentch spell. The nurgle herald failed to cast debilitating pox.

Shooting: The Tzeentch herald fired his shooting attack at the knights, which would have downed one except for the Knight's Mark of Tzeentch.

Combat: None.

WARRIORS TURN TWO:

Movement:
Everything moved up once again evenly, except for the spawn who moved 12 inches forward next to the flank of the bloodletters.

Magic: none

Shooting: My exalted tried to hit the herald of Tzeentch with his roar, but was out by 1 inch.

Combat: none.

DEMONS TURN THREE:

Movement: The Bloodletters charged my warriors of Tzeentch in front of them. I held, believing he was out, but it turned out I was wrong. However, I then rolled my fear check and failed! My warriors ran 7 inches. He then revealed his + D6 to charge distance banner, which failed to catch the warriors.

His horrors and herald of Tzeentch shuffled forward a bit, and the herald joined the horrors. His plaguebearers moved up to try and cover his bloodletters' front from my knights and exalted.

Magic: His horrors miscast flickering fire on two dice, and ended the magic phase as well as losing one horror from the magical backlash. The herald of Tzeentch also lost a wound.

Shooting: His herald fired at the knights, downing another one.

Comabt: none.

WARRIORS TURN THREE:

Movement: I declared a charge on the bloodletters with my knights. Thanks to the now diminished number of knights, the warriors of Nurgle were able to see the plaguebearers in front of them and charged with the marauders into the plaguebearers.

It was half an inch tight, but my knights were just able to pass the plaguebearers in front of them and wheel to hit the bloodletters in the front, which meant that the Nurgle warriors were able to charge the Plaguebearers. They passed their fear check. However, the marauders were out of range and failed their charge.

The spawn slammed into the side of the bloodletters, and the warriors of Tzeentch regrouped.

No magic or shooting.

Comabat: His Khorne Herald issued a challenge, and my knight unit champion accepted. My knight wounded his herald once. In return, the herald wounded 3 times. I failed one armor save, however my mark of Tzeentch saved him.

Another of my knights singled out the Khorne unit champion and killed him, while my exalted champion killed one bloodletter. Then my spawn struck, scoring 5 hits and wounds. 5 bloodletters died, failing all their ward saves.

Spawn are Awesome!

In return, one bloodletter killing blowed one of my knights. Thanks to demonic instability, he was left with only a front rank.

In the plaguebearer combat, my unit champion singled out his unit champion and slew him. The rest of my warriors killed one more plaguebearer.

The rest of the plaguebearers failed to do anything, while the herald killed one warrior of Nurgle.

Due to daemonic instability he was left with a front rank.

DEMONS TURN FOUR:

Movement: The horrors simply shuffled a bit.

Magic:
The herald of Nurgle cast debilitating pox, which I dispelled.

His horrors of Tzeentch threw two dice at flickering fire... and MISCAST again!

He rolled on the miscast table again, receiving a S5 hit to his entire unit. 3 horrors died with the herald of Tzeentch. That'll teach them demons!

Since the game was going to be mop-up at this point, he conceeded. He would have played on if I had wanted to, but I had other things todo that day, and that finished the game with me losing 3 models.

Post Game Thoughts:

1) Demons are really not invincible.
2) Load up on too much magic and it will come back to bite you.

1) I don't care about the points size or the greater demons, just make sure you have a solid all round force that isn't a one-trick pony, keep your army together, and demons will bounce off of you. Sure it won't be incredibly easy, but it won't be any harder than playing against any other warahmmer army.

Seriously, my army just had a couple of each different unit typesand I won. I didn't need any special anti-demon lists or anti-magic, I just kept my gus together, picked my fights, and won handily

2) In 6th edition, magic was the way to go. Now, you're taking a bit risk by using lots of the winds of magic. One miscast and you're in trouble.

I was still getting a bit famliar witht he warriors book, but I'm starting to like it. It feels with Hordes of Chaos, but more solid and better written.

SolarHammer
27-10-2008, 03:44
What points level were you playing at? (1200 by my calculations based on your army)

Why was your opponents "army" so ridiculous? He can't even take 9 Plaguebearers.

His units must have had full commands, with Daemonic Icons and his Heralds had to have had full gifts and magic levels to have near the same amount of points as you.

I don't think I could design a worse Daemon army if I tried.

Kudos for winning and I don't mean to take anything away from you but that is just an awful Daemon list. Simply bamboozling.

Nicha11
27-10-2008, 07:01
congratz for winning, especially against Demons ;)

but i have to agree with SolarHammer
that was one strange demon list.

The Adept
27-10-2008, 09:15
And he doesn't even know the rules of his army - horrors don't use the miscast table at all, they just loose a few extra guys (1d6, I think).

SolarHammer
27-10-2008, 09:17
Ha. I missed that...

EvC
27-10-2008, 12:26
Nice of him to murder his own Herald for you, though. And what a tactical display, moving towards each other and then seeing who rolls the better dice :D

Des
27-10-2008, 13:50
No one need fear playing Daemons any longer! The way is clear. Simply organise a game between yourself and someone who doesn't know the rules.

Job done!

blackjack
27-10-2008, 19:14
By my rough Calc you had a 500pt advantage over the Daemons.

SolarHammer
27-10-2008, 19:24
I calculated both armies at 1200 if the Daemon player maxed his magic levels on characters and command on his units with Daemonic Icons on them.

Dexter099
28-10-2008, 02:05
Actually, it was a 1000 point game. I'm just good at squeezing troops in and he maxed out of characters buying as many items and mutations as is possible for his heralds.

So actually, he had 1000 and so did I.

Yes, that was a very tactical battle, the way all 1000 point warriors games should be fought; move as a cohesive unit and get the charge.

Hmmm, come to think of it, him losing D6 horrors would have been better for me.

EvC
28-10-2008, 02:26
Seeing as those miscasts killed his Herald and prevented him casting one turn, I severely doubt that. Your army is also well over 1000 points- do the maths ;) This is why I worry about peoples' armies when they turn up for random store games...

Dexter099
28-10-2008, 04:02
Ouch, it is. Ah, shoot. Well, it was just a learning game with the staff, to be honest!

Mireadur
28-10-2008, 10:12
Nice of him to murder his own Herald for you, though. And what a tactical display, moving towards each other and then seeing who rolls the better dice :D

Though i hate these acronyms...LOL

EvC
28-10-2008, 12:49
Yeah, thanks for posting it anyway Dexter :) Just be careful about posting far-reaching statements about how easy it is to beat Daemons when you're playing someone who doesn't know the army well, and when you have a fair few more points advantage than the enemy ;)

omgadinosaur
31-10-2008, 20:02
I played a friend who "accidentally" used his 2250 point lizardmen army one game. I got crushed and was upset till he looked at my army list and went "Sorry dude I messed up!"