"And Let The Heavens Darken With Arrows"

Lord
420 - Khalida

Heroes
163 - Liche Priest - Steed, Staff of Mastery
135 - Liche Priest - Plaques of mighty incantations
140 - Icon Bearer - Standard of the Sands

Core
200 - 15x Warriors w/ spear and shield, Light armor, full command, Banner of undying legion.
176 - 3x chariots full command, poison
150 - 15x Bowman, Poison
149 - 8x Light Horseman - Music, Standard, poison
149 - 8x Light Horseman - Music, Standard, poison

Special
85 - Tomb Scorpion

Rare
110 - Skull Catapolt - Skulls of the Foe

110 - Skull Catapolt - Skulls of the Foe

Total 1997

I need to drop 33 points, but what do you all think. Would it do decent in a battle. I also have a spare Casket of Souls and three Ushabti If that would make this list better. I have all these models and haven't really played at all. Just enjoy the lore and models. Its a new list with a new revalation I just learned.

Makarion
27-10-2008, 09:26
The basic idea isn't bad, but there's some things you could change.

* Khalida rocks - keep her. To make her work, you'll need more archers than you currently have.
* I cannot see the Icon Bearer be worth it, to be honest, and the Banner of the Sands least of all. Replace hit with another liche priest, with the Cloak of the Dunes and the Hieratic Jar (or a dispel scroll). You'll want the Jar on someone, though - and the Staff of Mastery isn't good enough on a regular Liche Priest, who casts only 2 incantations per turn after all.

* The Banner of the Undying Legion is very good, but a unit of 15 is quite flimsy. I'd either put it on a unit of Tomb Guard, or a unit of 20 archers. You can always reform the into a melee block when you have to, and spears aren't going to kill anything.

* The chariots are always useful, especially combined with one or more scorpions. Consider giving them the Banner of the Undying Legion if you don't want to use a block of 20 archers.

* I used to think that the light horsemen were somehow useful, but the only way I've used them without feeling that they were just taking up room and points was as a mobile platform for a liche priest on a steed, or to fill core cheaply. You should have lots of archers though, so core isn't a problem. Drop both units (and especially the standards!) - you'll be able to get better things for almost 300 points.

* Scorpion is good. Consider a second one. If you drop the light horsemen, you could get that, a unit of Tomb Guard or Ushabti as well as fill out your archer units.

* Two capapults is certainly a possiblity in a Khalida list, but I'm not convinced of the Skulls of the Foe - there's too many things that are immune to psychology nowadays.

BigJon
27-10-2008, 10:24
I would drop the Light Cav or at least drop them to 5x to make it easyer to
move them around.

If you want a core unit I would not depend on your warriors; get some Tomb
Guard's or convert your warrior block into more bowmen and rain arrows.

If you only take one Scorpion don't bury it, its to risky and with a high move it
can be on the other side of the tabel well before I could "come from below"

BigJon

dude.sweet101@yahoo.co.uk
27-10-2008, 13:21
I can see this being a good base for an army. The standard slows stuff down and it gets wailed on by the catapults- nice.

You can never have too many scorpions- they are the best value for points in the army by a long way, I use them a bit like chariots- on either side of Khalidas unit.

I reckon you need a unit of 30 bowmen with poisoned arrows to really make use of her special shooty power. I love them against skirmishers in a wood at long range- comes as a great suprise to skinks and such.

Cheers,

Dan

White_13oy
27-10-2008, 18:38
Lord
420 - Khalida

Heroes
(160 - Liche Priest - Heritic Jar, Cloak of Dunes)
Core
225 - 20x Bowman, poison, Banner of undying legion.
150 - 15x Bowman, Poison
87 - 5x Light Horseman - Music, poison

Special
85 - Tomb Scorpion
85 - Tomb Scorpion
195 - 3x Ushabti

Rare
90 - Skull Catapolt

90 - Skull Catapolt

Total 1933 With Icon Bearer and 1953 with third priest. I will fill the rest points with more archerers. How is the list now? Also Makarion, How can a normal Liche Priest cast two incantation per turn? I thought only a High Priest could do that, did I miss something?

elessar 2
27-10-2008, 19:58
* I cannot see the Icon Bearer be worth it, to be honest, and the Banner of the Sands least of all. Replace hit with another liche priest, with the Cloak of the Dunes and the Hieratic Jar (or a dispel scroll). You'll want the Jar on someone, though - and the Staff of Mastery isn't good enough on a regular Liche Priest, who casts only 2 incantations per turn after all.

* I used to think that the light horsemen were somehow useful, but the only way I've used them without feeling that they were just taking up room and points was as a mobile platform for a liche priest on a steed, or to fill core cheaply. You should have lots of archers though, so core isn't a problem. Drop both units (and especially the standards!) - you'll be able to get better things for almost 300 points.

I totally agree. I have used light horsemen twice, and the only thing they did right was shoot (and kill some), but they were far from worth their cost. I never used the banner of sands, as it is (IMHO) useless.
the rest of your list seems pretty solid.

You're right about the liche priest casting 1 spell per turn, I think makarion mixed it a bit up with the power level.

Except for the standard and the light horsemen I wouldn't change anything (but i'm not really too experienced, note that!)

Cheers
Tom

White_13oy
28-10-2008, 01:40
Thanks, I'll probably end up using the third priest instead of the standard. That way I can get more shots off.

Makarion
28-10-2008, 05:18
Lord
420 - Khalida

Heroes
(160 - Liche Priest - Heritic Jar, Cloak of Dunes)
Core
225 - 20x Bowman, poison, Banner of undying legion.
150 - 15x Bowman, Poison

Special
85 - Tomb Scorpion
85 - Tomb Scorpion
195 - 3x Ushabti

Rare
90 - Skull Catapolt

90 - Skull Catapolt

Total 1933 With Icon Bearer and 1953 with third priest. I will fill the rest points with more archerers. How is the list now? Also Makarion, How can a normal Liche Priest cast two incantation per turn? I thought only a High Priest could do that, did I miss something?

No, you are right - which makes the item even less useful, of course.

The list looks a lot better already. You'll need a standardbearer in the unit of 20 bowmen for them to be able to have the Banner of the Undying Legion, but you have the points for that. I'd drop one unit of light horsemen myself, but try it out and see how it works for you; experience is the best teacher.

march10k
28-10-2008, 13:20
I'd put a fourth chariot into the second list. You can pretty much count on losing a chariot before charging, and you want to be hitting with three. Four is of course better than two, but you need three to arrive alive...er...undead. I'd also take tomb guard instead of ushabti. You can regenerate D6 tomb guard with a spell, versus 0-1 Ushabti. Tomb guard also get static CR.

If you have the points, the casket is nice. It's going to force the enemy to save disspell dice, since it goes last in your phase, which will allow other, earlier spells to get through. If you try to double-fire the catapult first thing, that sucks out dice, then forces him to save for the end, and everything in between should be unopposed. Of course, with three liches, you can take three cracks at doubling the catapult, and if he stops you, the casket fires unopposed...

Dragon Prince of Caledor
28-10-2008, 17:05
That woudl be cool I think you should take the lord, and three liche priests. Even as I high elf player I find tomb kings magic a pain in the rear. Given the poison I would say that you should obviously take as many archers as possible. The war machines are nasty too. I would take two of em with lots of magic even without the poison lord just because the thought of those bad boys shooting twice a turn is terrifying! Orcs and Ogres woudl have fun playing this list... they would be done before they got there. Brets and stunties dont die period so that will be a challenge for you. Coneheads die when people look at us the wrong way so I wont even comment on that but hope I dont a conehead doesnt take lots of birds and a dragon otherwise that woudl be a "dead beat" battle for the "boneheads" hehe.
Good luck with it and roll lots of sixes and you will have a good time ;)