PDA

View Full Version : High Elves 2000 pts, need some help!

Desert Rain
27-10-2008, 09:42
My comments for each unit is in red.

Archmage: Level 4, Folariath's Robe, Seerstaff, Dispel Scroll (355 pts)
This guy gives me a good magic phase and a resonable magical defense

Noble: Battlestandard, Armour of Caledor, Great Weapon, Gem of Courage (153 pts)
Battlesstandards are a must, and he can fight well too.

10 Archers (110 pts)
Missile support

20 Spearmen: Full Command, War Banner (225 pts)

20 Spearmen: Full Command (205 pts)
The two spearunits will form the main battleline

7 Swordmasters (105 pts)

7 Swordmasters (105 pts)
These two units are damagedealers who will operate at the flanks

5 Dragon Princes: Standard Bearer, Banner of Sorcery
Heavyhitters who also boost my magicphase.

2 x Trianoc Chariots (170 pts)
These are to support the spear units in the main battleline

2 x Repeater Boltthrowers (200 pts)

2 x Great Eagles (100 pts)
Standard setup

Total pts: 1946 pts

I still got 54 pts to use, any suggestions? The only other models I have are a mounted hero with a lance, 6 Shadow Warriors, 5 Silver Helms eith Full Command, a swordmaster command group and 1 swordmaster.

NecronBob
27-10-2008, 10:59
With the models that you have at your disposal, I think you've put together a good list.

If you had the models, I'd love to see you use the other 54 points to upgrade that second unit of spears to White Lions or Phoenix Guard. You could get a block of 15 with full command for 255, and they would serve you better than a block of spears.

I'm also worried about your banner of sorcery traveling within a small unit that is bound to draw fire. I use dragon princes in a unit just like that, and I find that mine only survive the battle about half the time. My special infantry blocks tend to be much more resilient.

That said, I believe this list should work well for you.

coldblooded
27-10-2008, 11:08
hmm i dont really like ur list my approach to the magic phase is all or none so ethier go another lvl 2 mage possible a dragon mage they r potent spell casters i always give mine jewel of dusk for the extra spell and wit a free dice per spell and able to use 4 dice wit the extra one u should be able to cast any of the lore of fire spells wit relative ease and wit sword of ruin combo u have a deadly charge especially when assited by dragon princes well thats my comb o :p umm and ring of fury somewhere is a big bonus 2d6 str4 hits quite deadly. hmm why is the bsb a must he dosent seem to usefull to me wit no banner ethier. ur choice i guess. i would get rid of a unit of spearmen and get 12-14 whitelions as they have always served me betta then spearmen. and units of 7 swordmasters r very fragile to enemy shooting and magic as u cant lose to many or they become useless. well there u have it up to u what u do good luck

Ixeon
27-10-2008, 12:47

Tell me if i am wrong, but, Only Dark Elves can have 2x RBT for 1 Rare, and a single Great Eagle takes up 1 rare, so if you want 2 you have to take up 2 Rare slot. In Other words you have to drop 1 RBT and 1 Great Eagle.

Alathir
27-10-2008, 13:06
Tell me if i am wrong, but, Only Dark Elves can have 2x RBT for 1 Rare, and a single Great Eagle takes up 1 rare, so if you want 2 you have to take up 2 Rare slot. In Other words you have to drop 1 RBT and 1 Great Eagle.

High Elves have 4 rare choices available to them in a 2000 point game so its no problem.

I like the list although I don't really rate Folariath's Robe on the archmage... you really don't want him to see combat anyway but I'm thinking about as I type and its probably not that bad an idea... just avoid magic!

Yeah, I'd like the spear units but I'd probably try to change them to White Lions or Phoenix Guard, it would be a better spot for your Banner of Sorcery. You dont want such a precious banner like that on a unit that can blasted to nothing or flub their attacks on a bad charge and lose the banner when they flee.

If you can, I'd try to find the points for another mage. An lone Archmage wont be enough to threaten even standard magic defense and you can bet your opponents will invest in some if they are versing High Elves. I'd take a Lvl 2 with the Jewel of the Dusk.

Also, the Seer Staff is good but I've found the Silver Wand to be better in most cases, unless you have some very specific spell you NEED then I would choose it over the staff - a 1 in 6 chance of not getting the spell you want in exchange for having another spell sounds good to me.

Finally, 10 Archers wont put much of a dent in anything, if you are going to take archers then I would try to take 2 units of 10. My personal rule is if I take Archers then I take 20, its alot more threatening as they work much better in tandem I say.

Hope this helps.

Ixeon
27-10-2008, 13:41
High Elves have 4 rare choices available to them in a 2000 point game so its no problem.

Ahh i see that now, reading a friends army book ^^
Only one core in a 1k game to and 5special slots.. awesome.

PARTYCHICORITA
27-10-2008, 13:50
This is a very nice list; my only complain being the lack of both the ring of corin and the ring of fury; IMO 2 of the best items for a magic heavy HE army. I would drop the archers; for their points they are a terrible unit and you already have the RBT to damage support units with missile fire+any magic missiles you may get.

Desert Rain
27-10-2008, 14:59
In our gaming group there's only one army with serious magical power, that's why the list is rather weak in magical defense.

I'm a bit worried about the Banner of sorcery in the DP unit too, but I had nowhere else to put it unless I change the BSBs equipment. Nut without the Armour of Caledor he becomes a bit to vulnerable for my taste.

If I remove one of the spear units, one of the Swordmaster units and the standardbearer from the DP I can get a unit of 20 Phoenix Guard with full command and the banner of sorcery. Then the banner would be much safer.

I would like to include the Ring of Fury and an additional mage, but I don't have the points to spare unless I skip the BSB. If I do that I won't have a fighter who can help out in tight situations.

Iamthegodcomplex
27-10-2008, 21:01
I'm looking at the BSB rules on pg 92 of the Army Book, and it says they cannot have other magic items.

WhiteKnight
27-10-2008, 21:48
Only if they have a magical banner. As for the list, I really don't see the point of 3 core choices. 2 is fine enough, one unit of spears and another of archers. Then go for white lions or phoenix guard.

Desert Rain
27-10-2008, 22:06
Here is an updated version of the list based on your suggestions

My comments for each unit still in red.

Archmage: Level 4, Folariath's Robe, Seerstaff, Dispel Scroll (355 pts)
This guy gives me a good magic phase and a resonable magical defense

Noble: Battlestandard, Armour of Caledor, Great Weapon, Gem of Courage (153 pts)
Battlesstandards are a must, and he can fight well too.

10 Archers (110 pts)
Missile support

20 Spearmen: Full Command, War Banner (225 pts)
This unit will form the main battleline together with the Phoenix Guard

20 Phoenix Guards: Full Command, Banner of Sorcery. (380 pts)
This very resilient unit will form the main battleline with the spears, they also carry the Banner of Sorcery to boost the magic phase.

7 Swordmasters (105 pts)
These is a damage dealer who will operate at one flank - Is this unit really necessary? Would it be better to include something else?

5 Dragon Princes (150 pts)
Heavyhitters operating on the other flank.

2 x Trianoc Chariots (170 pts)
These are to support the spear units in the main battleline

Standard setup

Total pts: 1948 pts

Still some points left over for some tweaking, like replacing the BSB with a mage or replace the Swordmasters with something - or just boost their numbers to 10.

NecronBob
28-10-2008, 05:18
I like this list better than the first one. It's pretty close to what I use in a lot of games, except that I play one lion chariot instead of two tiranocs, and I only use one eagle. That saves 80 points, which when combined with the 52 that you have left, would get you within 3 points of a level 2 wizard. What you have here will probably work better against low to mid magic armies.

I like my swordmasters in small numbers, so I'd consider leaving them at 7.

If you leave the list as is and can find 3 points, you can upgrade one of your tiranoc chariots to a lion chariot. Unless you see a lot of strength 7 shooting, I think you'll find that it is worth the points.

ElectronicToyOrchestra
05-11-2008, 06:54
i think that the Phoenix Guard are just the best troops since sliced bread! i never get sword masters and just get the phoenix guard as even in small units with that pesky 4+ ward save they will see off most damage.

grhino
05-11-2008, 09:22
List look good. If you want to make more points available, just make the PG 18, or 17 when you want to add the BSB to this unit, strong and pick another chariot, of scouts...

Aeolthir
11-11-2008, 15:49
It seems you have 52 pts left to spend.

Replace one tiranoc chariot for a lion chariot... much more punch on the charge.
4 attacks at WS5, S5 and 2 others at S6 adding the impact hits... ouch!!!!!
i almost forgot, it cause fear also

Desert Rain
11-11-2008, 16:28
Your right about that, but the lion chariots are as fragile as the tiranoc and are worth about 50% more VPs. In my group there are plenty of things capable of destroying chariots so I consider taking 2 Tiranocs is a safer choice because it increases the probability of one of the reaching the enemy.
Of course if I choose a Lion Chariot the probability is the same, but my opponent knows how powerful it is and will likley destroy it as soon as he can, giving him more VPs.
One thing that I would like to add is some scouts, but I can't find the points anywhere. Maybe the Lion Chariot is the best option after all?

grhino
12-11-2008, 13:33
Lion chariot which you keep out of LOS in the beginning, and then use scouts and eagle to hunt war machines. Scouts are best used for this, since they are more capable of actually winning the combat. Cannot even remember the thousands of times (slight exaggeration there) my eagle fluffed his attacks and got wounded in return, losing the combat by 2 and fleeing.

happy_doctor
12-11-2008, 20:51
Although I liked your first list as well, I'll comment on your updated one:

-Phoenix Guard: Really solid choice, will make sure that your Banner of Sorcery sticks around until the end of the battle. I'd make them 18-stong, deployed 6-wide to save 30 points (I'l explain later)

-Spare points: I'd add a single unit of 5 Shadow Warriors to give you some march-blocking capabilities. You're 28 points short of the 80 points needed for this unit, hence the suggestion of dropping 2 phoenix guard.

-Heroes: Good setup, I agree with Alathir on the Seerstaff subject. Not only will it save you some points, but you'll get more spells to choose from.

Desert Rain
14-11-2008, 09:31
If I remove one PG(making them 20 when they are joined by a character) and the Seerstaff I have enough points to take the Silver Wand and an unit of 5 Shadow Warriors.

There is also points enough to replace the SW with Ellyrian Revears.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
14-11-2008, 13:29
With the models that you have at your disposal, I think you've put together a good list.

If you had the models, I'd love to see you use the other 54 points to upgrade that second unit of spears to White Lions or Phoenix Guard. You could get a block of 15 with full command for 255, and they would serve you better than a block of spears.

I'm also worried about your banner of sorcery traveling within a small unit that is bound to draw fire. I use dragon princes in a unit just like that, and I find that mine only survive the battle about half the time. My special infantry blocks tend to be much more resilient.

That said, I believe this list should work well for you.

Those are my exact thoughts phoenix guard and white lions are durable and very versatile. I think that the units of seven swordmasters will be long gone by the time you get to fight (even goblin archers could shoot them out) and then you will be stuck with spears against lord knows what. To get full use of the archmage i would suggest a bound spell and a banner of sorcery on somebody (dragon princes?) A tag team of chariots is always fun with the two d6 impact hits. Budgies are great and incredibly versatile. Use them well. Good luck