PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnian Ponderings - 2 varied Army Lists

Treadhead_1st
27-10-2008, 11:01
I'm thinking of starting up a Bretonnian army, as the medieval look appeals to me (and my High Elves are very chariot-heavy with no War Machines as opposed to a Cavalry/Block battle line). But I am unsure on which of the following 2 variances has the most potential (the lists are only subtly different, which doesn't really help).

It also doesn't help matters that I've still not played a game with Bretonnians - I like to try to get a list sorta sorted before I start buying models (though obviously some changes need to be made when things don't work out well etc), so I hope I've not made too many glaring errors/common mistakes that would be obvious to a more experienced player.

Any thoughts on the lists in general, and which list do you think has the most promise?

List 1 - Horse Lord

Lords

Bretonnian Lord: Sword of the Quest, Shield, Mane of the Purebreed, Barded Warhorse, Questing Vow & Virtue of Confidence.
Character/Champion killer. Re-rolling Hits/Wounds in Challenges and no Armour Save [plus either 1-H or 2-H bonuses] should mince most foes

Heroes

Paladin: Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Barded Warhorse, Battle Standard Bearer, Knight's Vow & Virtue of Empathy.
Decided to keep this guy really cheap. Gives Ld/re-rolls to Peasants, hopefully meaning they stick around longer. None of the banners really appealed since he's quite easy to kill, I thought they'd be a waste of points.

Damsel of the Lady: Level 2 & Silver Mirror.

Damsel of the Lady: Level 2, Dispel Scroll & Chalice of Malfleur.
Though primarily defensive, I quite like the Lores of life/beasts, so I've opted for the extra level for things like Mistress of the Marsh to help run-down units, or Bears Anger to add a little punch and so forth - taking out the enemy mages should be relatively simple with all the Cavalry sections running around

Core

9 Knights of the Realm: Gallant, Musician & Standard Bearer.

9 Knights of the Realm: Gallant, Musician & Standard Bearer.

5 Knights Errant: Cavalier.

24 Men at Arms: Pole-Arms, Musician & Standard Bearer.

11 Peasant Bowmen: Braziers, Defensive Stakes & Standard Bearer.
Standard so they can rank up against enemy Fast Cav and stand a reasonable chance. Not giving VPs for the Banner will be handy too

Special

5 Questing Knights: Paragon, Standard Bearer & Banner of Chalons.

5 Mounted Yeomen: Shield & Warden.
To take on enemy Fast Cav. Should I take a Standard instead of a Warden, to get the guaranteed +1 against similar enemy units?

Rare

Field Trebuchet.

Field Trebuchet.

The ideas is the Trebuchets deploy staggered in one corner, guarded by the Bowmen and the Yeomen (Bowmen shoot enemy line, Yeomen take on War Machine hunters). If the enemy has few fast units, the Bowmen will take solo guard of the Trebuchets, and the Yeomen will go after enemy war machines.

The Peasants are joined by the Damsels and have the Knights Errant (joined by the Battle Standard Bearer) sitting between them. This should give good Leadership potential, and the Errant units can take on foes that get bogged down by the Peasants (though this is riskier for the BSB, hence the cheapness).

The Lord joins the Questing Knights, who are flanked by both Knights of the Realm lances. The inward flank of this formation is guarded by the Peasant blocks (so it means slowing the Knights down a little). Banner of Chalons so that the Questing Knights can take on ranged units threatening the KotR.

So that's the first list - fairly high body-count, but nothing too devious tactics-wise (aside from twin-Trebuchets - which will help against Horde foes).

The next list features some sneakier tactics:

List 2 - Flying Lord

Lords

Bretonnian Lord: Sword of Heroes, Shield, Armour of the Midsummer Sun, Hippogryph, Knight's Vow & Virtue of Purity.
To take on Monsters. Sword means he should do some damage, and the Hippogryph can finish them off. Sun Armour to give a little protection to the Large Target (and to fit with the description of the Sword of Heroes). Virtue should see him slightly safer too, though his armour save isn't fabulous.

Paladin: Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Barded Warhorse, Battle Standard Bearer, Knight's Vow & Virtue of Empathy.

Damsel of the Lady: Level 2 & Silver Mirror.

Damsel of the Lady: Level 2, Dispel Scroll & Chalice of Malfleur.

Core

7 Knights of the Realm: Gallant, Musician & Standard Bearer.

7 Knights of the Realm: Gallant, Musician & Standard Bearer.

5 Knights Errant: Cavalier.

11 Peasant Bowmen: Braziers, Defensive Stakes & Standard Bearer.

Special

3 Pegasus Knights: Gallant & Musician.

Rare

Field Trebuchet.

Field Trebuchet.

Same deployment as before, except the Bowmen have to guard the Trebuchets by themselves (no Yeomen), and the KotR units are smaller.

To off-set the vulnerability of the KotR, I hope to get the Lord and the Pegasi behind the enemy lines to cause a bit of trouble, and hopefully do some damage.

Since my KotR units are weaker, I could drop the Hippogryph for a Royal Pegasus, then take a minimal 5-unit of Errants (or an extra pair of Pegasi) and an additional Knight per KotR unit. Do you think this is a good idea (it means I loose the Terror and additional killing ability for slightly more survivability on 2/3 units and/or an extra unit)?

Many thanks for your thoughts on these ideas.