PDA

View Full Version : Inquisitor Raellos' stats

Raellos
27-10-2008, 12:39
While this will likely not be my first Inquisitor (thanks to a conversion in progress I bought of a renegade Inquisitor based on Tyrus) he is certainly my favourite. Here is Inquisitor Raellos in his younger years. what I've written about his equipment is quite extensive, so hopefully it won't drag on too much.

Inquisitor Raellos

Ivan Heiro Raellos was born into the warrior aristocracy of the border planet Wehrveldt. A latent psyker, he was taken by the Black Ships at the age of 9. Already an intelligent and quick child, he was screened and recommended for Inquisitorial training. At the age of 27 he was granted his rosette after purging a Genestealer cult on the hive world of Thantos Prime. Now 43, he is a staunch Amalthian and one of the new generation of the sector's many Ordo Hereticus members.

Headstrong but purposeful, his psychic powers are developing into another powerful tool in the young Inquisitor's arsenal.

WS: 80 BS: 75 S: 65 T: 70 I: 80 Wp: 84 Sg: 86 Nv: 90 Ld: 85

Skills: Ambidextrous; Rock steady aim; Force of will; Nerves of steel; Leader.

Psychic Powers: Telepathy, Mind Scan, Distraction.

Weapons: Pump-action shotgun, 6 standard rounds, 8 scatter rounds, 4 executioner rounds, 4 inferno rounds; Stubber, I reload; Master-crafted chainsword.

Equipment: Carapace on Chest, Abdomen, Groin; Flak on all other locations except head. 1 Detox injection.

And now an explanation of his skills, abilities and equipment.

Ambidextrous, because I imagine that he wouldn't want to get caught out having to pull out and use his weighty chainsword with his off hand (and maybe he has been before). Rock steady aim and nerves of steel because I can picture him striding forward under fire, taking measured shots with his shotgun. Finally, force of will because I can't have a soft inquisitor!

His psychic powers are relatively subtle and all very similar. Not overpowered, but not to be underestimated, they are more understated powers that I think suit a younger psyker.

Raellos is well equipped with a variety of shotgun rounds. I may cut them down a bit because they do seem somewhat excessive, but it does depend on the model.

I do not have a backstory for his master-crafted chainsword, I just think that his weapon would be of much better quality than a ganger's chainsword.

kaled
27-10-2008, 13:47
At the age of 27 he was granted his rosette after purging a Genestealer cult on the hive world of Thantos Prime.27 is extremely young to become an Inquisitor - would you trust someone with that little experience with the ultimate authority? I'd up it to 37, or better yet 47+.

WS: 80 BS: 75 S: 65 T: 70 I: 80 Wp: 84 Sg: 86 Nv: 90 Ld: 85His stats don't look too unreasonable, personally I'd say they're a little high (maybe drop 5-10 off each) but it depends what level your group plays at.

Equipment: Carapace on Chest, Abdomen, Groin; Flak on all other locations except head. 1 Detox injection.Why carapace on the groin? If the model has it then fair enough, but an armoured codpiece seems a little silly.

Ambidextrous, because I imagine that he wouldn't want to get caught out having to pull out and use his weighty chainsword with his off hand (and maybe he has been before).I'd drop this one for a start, ambidextrous people are extremely rare, and your reasoning for giving him the trait sounds like it has more to do with how good it is in the game rather than any meaningful reason in his background.

Rock steady aim and nerves of steel because I can picture him striding forward under fire, taking measured shots with his shotgun.I'd get rid of Nerves of Steel too - is he really never going to instinctively duck when shot at? His Nv is already high enough that he's not going to dive for cover all the time.

Finally, force of will because I can't have a soft inquisitor!And get rid of this too. Given his stats he's hardly soft. Are you seriously saying that at 40-something he's seen that many horrors in the galaxy and beyond that he's immune to fear?

His psychic powers are relatively subtle and all very similar. Not overpowered, but not to be underestimated, they are more understated powers that I think suit a younger psyker.Yeah, I think they're a nice selection and should allow for some interesting options in game.

Raellos is well equipped with a variety of shotgun rounds. I may cut them down a bit because they do seem somewhat excessive, but it does depend on the model.I wouldn't say he has too many - it's certainly not too over the top anyway.

I do not have a backstory for his master-crafted chainsword, I just think that his weapon would be of much better quality than a ganger's chainsword.In that case I'd leave it as a normal chainsword - they're good enough weapons as it is, there's no need for it to be master-crafted. The difference in quality between a ganger's chainsword and one owned by an Inquisitor is not likely to have any effect in game - probably more to do with how fancy it is and how reliable.

Overall I'd say he's not too bad - too many skills is the main problem IMHO. Have you thought about how you're going to model him?

- Dave

Raellos
27-10-2008, 14:16
As far as the groin armour goes, a lot of modern carapace equivalents have groin protection. There's a fair bit more there to consider down there than just his manhood. I think it can be modeled well enough without him looking like he's wearing an armoured equivalent of the Black Russian ("That will scare the Ecclessiarchy"). Of course the carapace will change depending on what looks good on the final model (or what the base figure has already).

Ambidexterity in the rules seems to refer to equal strength in both arms (or at least, this is it's effect in combat). This skill did come out of a visualisation of the character rather than an in-game benefit so I am a bit iffy about dropping it, though not to the point where I will refuse to do so.

Good point about Force of Will, I think that the odd Brave Sir Robin moment could make things interesting, as well as leaving te skill free for a meaningful advancement later on.

His age is another good point. I went by the Eisenhorn books and came up with an age I was more happy with. Maybe he reached the rank of inquisitor at 42, with his current age being 53?

Here's my revised profile.

WS: 75 BS: 70 S: 60 T: 65 I: 75 Wp: 78 Sg: 82 Nv: 84 Ld: 80

Skills: Ambidextrous; Rock steady aim; Leader.

Psychic Powers: Telepathy, Mind Scan, Distraction.

Weapons: Pump-action shotgun, 6 standard rounds, 8 scatter rounds, 4 executioner rounds, 4 inferno rounds; Stubber, I reload; Chainsword.

Equipment: Carapace on Chest, Abdomen, Groin; Flak on all other locations except head. 1 Detox injection.

As for modeling him, I want to use Covenant's head (modified somewhat). Unless an alternative is available I will use a cut down Eviscerator for his sword. I'm not sure about the rest of him yet. Maybe the Arbites judge figure or Duke Von Castellan (with a different torso) for the body? I don't want him to stand there, a bit of dynamic movement would be good.

I pictured him as being similar to the Inquisitor on the left of the three inquisitors at the bottom of the armour and force fields page in the rulebook.

I just clicked on your gallery link. Amazing stuff. I saw some of them in Dark Magenta but did not know that was your work (I have lurked the inquisitor page for a while).

kaled
27-10-2008, 19:52
As far as the groin armour goes, a lot of modern carapace equivalents have groin protection. There's a fair bit more there to consider down there than just his manhood.I realise all that, but you'd be amazed (or probably not) at the number of players who want a carapace codpiece to protect their characters manhood - I saw a character once where it was his most heavily armoured location! I certainly have no objection to it as long as it looks right on the model.

Ambidexterity in the rules seems to refer to equal strength in both arms (or at least, this is it's effect in combat).The reason I dislike it is that it appears all too often (regularly accompanied by Gunfighter). Ambidextrous people are rare, but seem to be very common in games of Inquisitor. It's also one of those skills that only tends to appear on characters who carry a weapon in each hand. I don't think I've ever seen an ambidextrous scribe armed only with a laspistol, or on a guy carrying a double-handed sword or heavy weapon (I assume because then it'd be 'wasted'). Also, it makes things more interesting if your character finds he has the weapon he wants to use in his off-hand at the most inopportune moments. If you can come up with a good background reason for him to have it, then fair enough (or if you just don't want to change it, after all, it's not as if I can force you).

His age is another good point. I went by the Eisenhorn books and came up with an age I was more happy with. Maybe he reached the rank of inquisitor at 42, with his current age being 53?I think it's generally accepted that Eisenhorn (and Ravenor) were exceptions to the rule. 40-something sounds more reasonable.

As for modeling him, I want to use Covenant's head (modified somewhat). Unless an alternative is available I will use a cut down Eviscerator for his sword. I'm not sure about the rest of him yet. Maybe the Arbites judge figure or Duke Von Castellan (with a different torso) for the body? I don't want him to stand there, a bit of dynamic movement would be good.You'll find that Covenant is a lot larger in stature than Von Castellan or the judge, so his head might look a little large on either of those bodies (I don't have the bits in my bits box, otherwise I'd blutack together a mock-up to show you). There have been quite a few rather cool chainswords made by fastening together a couple of 40k ones - might be worth a try.

I just clicked on your gallery link. Amazing stuff. I saw some of them in Dark Magenta but did not know that was your workThanks. :)

- Dave

Raellos
28-10-2008, 08:12
I was worried about Covenant's noggin. I'll have to look around for an alternative.

The chainsword is another good idea. 40k weapons being as large as they are would make for a less weighty and wide chainsword, perfect for the Inquisitor.

A very good case against Ambidexterity- I'll drop it. Certainly would make some situations more interesting, and that's what Inquisitor is all about!

Finally, Kaled (Mk. II) is fantastic. He is tied with the Ordo Sicarius Inquisitor for coolest character of yours, IMO.

MarcoSkoll
28-10-2008, 17:10
I saw a character once where it was his most heavily armoured location! I certainly have no objection to it as long as it looks right on the model.
I deliberately avoided groin armour myself, and I'd recommend others against it simply for rules reasons - it's a whole lotta encumbrance for a very small and unlikely to be hit location. It's worth the encumbrance for the chest and abdomen, which are large locations with serious negatives for taking hits there.

That said, Covenant's profile in the rulebook includes groin armour, but without any obvious codpiece.

It's also one of those skills that only tends to appear on characters who carry a weapon in each hand. I don't think I've ever seen an ambidextrous scribe armed only with a laspistol, or on a guy carrying a double-handed sword or heavy weapon.
Not entirely, my smuggler has it, and he's got a bastard sword - but mostly, he's a marksman with a custom carbine rifle. It doesn't do him much good, I'll be honest.

However, handedness adds character to well... a character.
The skills Ambidextrous, Nerves of Steel, Force of Will, True Grit and sometimes Heroic are those ones that seem to be picked up by players who want their characters to be no more than Arnie's Terminator.

As such, other skills are often ignored. Things like Blademaster and Dodge don't see much table time. I can imagine a character with both skills would quickly develop a personality as an agile knife fighter - perhaps not for an Inquisitor, but perhaps someone he picked up along his way - an ex street child, maybe.

A few words on the now dropped NOS:
Remember that you get +20% to Nv if you're fired at, but not hit, and there is no auto 96-00 fail.
As such, any character with a Nv of 70 or more is pretty capable of pulling off the "striding forward under fire, taking measured shots with his shotgun" act until they get hit - if the player really wants.

When you actually get hit, any sensible person WOULD seek cover, regardless of how heroically bloody-minded they are. Any REALLY sensible person, no matter how brave, would have found cover at the start of the gunfight anyway. :rolleyes:

Raellos
29-10-2008, 03:19
As such, other skills are often ignored. Things like Blademaster and Dodge don't see much table time.

I had an idea for a ganger heavy, with good knife skills too (heavy stubber ranged support character with Blademaster; the sort of tough that's faster than he looks. Sergeant Stone would be good with some modification.*

A few words on the now dropped NOS:
Remember that you get +20% to Nv if you're fired at, but not hit, and there is no auto 96-00 fail.
As such, any character with a Nv of 70 or more is pretty capable of pulling off the "striding forward under fire, taking measured shots with his shotgun" act until they get hit - if the player really wants.

I didn't realise about the 20% bonus. That makes sense. My Inquisitor isn't Scarface, I'm sure he will know when to duck.

*And on that note, I think it would be a really good idea to make a Goliath ganger to practice my converting and greenstuff skills, as well as giving me a relatively cheap warband member.

Does this look okay? I used my Inquisitor's stats and Sergeant Stone's as a reference point. I came up with a bit of a background for him, but I can't think of a good name.

WS: 70 BS: 66 S: 76 T: 68 I: 70 Wp: 65 Sg: 68 Nv: 68 Ld: 62

Skills: Blademaster

Weapons: Heavy Stubber, 1 reload; Autopistol, 1 reload; 1 Frag grenade; Knife.

Equipment: 2 points of armour on right arm,
4 points on left arm.

The heavy stubber reload is there because I want to model him with a bandolier.