PDA

View Full Version : Armour Save Question

Rookie1986
27-10-2008, 12:29
Hey Guys,

I was playing a game on Sunday with a friend who has played for many years so he kinda took the lead with the rules as i only know the very basics, so anyway what i was wanting to know is how do armour saves work?

Say we take my regiment of Chaos Knights, would they get a 4+ for Chaos Armour, down to a 3+ for Shields and then down to a 2+ for their Mount?

Also against my friends lord i had to save on a 5 or 6 (sorry cant remember exactly), so how does this work? Why is the save of my Knights 2+ (??) get reduced to a 5-6+ save?

Oh and finally when i come to move/charge/march my Chaos Knights he told me i lose 1" for Barding???? and 2" on the Charge,

Sorry if these seem like really beginner questions but i'm trying to understand how the game works so things flow better when i battle next time,

Looking forward to your replies,
/Rookie

Atrahasis
27-10-2008, 12:58
All of these questions are answered in the rulebook, sorry.

Rookie1986
27-10-2008, 13:01
All of these questions are answered in the rulebook, sorry.

Thanks for that... it was a big help..... no really......

I would suspect that all rules can be answered by the rule book, so that would take away the purpose of a "Fantasy Rules" forum don't ya think??

Anyone able to help me with these please, i do own the rule book but it is at my brothers in Leeds and i am in Durham so wont get the book back until he is next up my way,

/Rookie

Griefbringer
27-10-2008, 13:03
Giving page numbers would still be helpful. Let me try:

1.) Calculating basic armour saves for your models: page 30.

2.) Armour save modifiers: page 30, again.

3.) Barding and movement: page 12.

Atrahasis
27-10-2008, 13:03
Asking for rules is against forum rules.

Ask to borrow your opponent's rulebook, or pop into the GW store - they'll be happy to let you have a look.

Rookie1986
27-10-2008, 13:17
Asking for rules is against forum rules.

All of my questions could be answered with basic short sentences that wouldn't have to go in to detail on the specific rule, which does not break any forums rules, example:

Q: "Say we take my regiment of Chaos Knights, would they get a 4+ for Chaos Armour, down to a 3+ for Shields and then down to a 2+ for their Mount?"

A: Yes that would be how to work out an armour save

or

A: No thats wrong, you don't gain that armour save for that unit because armour saves are worked out from these key elements... Blah... Blah....

Please state (quotes would be nice) how the rules are broken by answers like the ones given above?

Giving page numbers would still be helpful. Let me try:

1.) Calculating basic armour saves for your models: page 30.

2.) Armour save modifiers: page 30, again.

3.) Barding and movement: page 12.

Thank you for the info :)

/Rookie

Atrahasis
27-10-2008, 13:26
OK, answers that don't help you at all it is:

1. Chaos Knights have a 1+ save
2. Saves are modified by strength and other rules
3. Barding has special rules.

narrativium
27-10-2008, 13:34
From the Warseer Forum Rules page in the FAQ:
Violation of Intellectual Property (15 Warning Points)
Applies to posts which contain, or link to, material posted without the permission of the copyright holder. For example this would include posting statlines/ rules or images taken directly from a rule book. This is for Warseer's protection as much as anything.

Thus if someone posts an army list you won't see the profile of a model or the individual points values of the items chosen for it - but you can write down the overall armour save or other effects achieved by the combination.

So Atrahasis could have said "Yes, that's the armour save for those Chaos Knights", or "No, because they have barding as well" (if they have barding) - but he still wouldn't have said anything about key elements or how the save is calculated, since that's in the rulebook and should be clearly understood.

Braad
27-10-2008, 17:55
I think the reason people start like this, is because you seem not to have read the rules before asking these questions. You were just startled by what your friend did.
Also, these things are quite clearly explained.

If you start like: "played a game, didn't understand what opponent did, read up on the rules, but I'm still missing stuff. How does this work?" would have given people the impression you weren't a lazy git that doesn't want to spend his time reading stuff for himself, and would have given better answers.

I'll try to explain a bit further though. Armour saves stack, so each bit of armour adds to the armour save, and you did that nearly right. Though the horses also have barding which adds additional armour but also reduces the movement. The total armour save is reduced by high strenght attacks, which lords often possess.

BEEGfrog
28-10-2008, 02:05
When you next play your friend, get him to go slow and explain one sub-phase in detail per turn as people learn and teach better in small bites (you won't take on all the detail and it will bore him rigid to do it all every turn).

Or go into a GW shop and get one of the staff to take you through the basic scenario. These are calculated to give a flavour of the basic rules and will be a good starting point for learning the rest.

pfishy98
28-10-2008, 02:32
@ Atrahasis

not evryone owns a rulebook, because if they did, rulebooks wouldnt be 75$ CAN. dont be an *******. in the time you spent replying to rookie1986, you could have answered his question.

sneroplex
28-10-2008, 06:45
Your knights are losing their armour save against the lord because the lord probably has high strength attacks. Starting at strength 4 you lose 1 point of armour save and continue to lose one for every point higher... so if you have 1+ save chaos knights (4+chaos armour, +1 shield, +1 mount, +1 barding) he would have to hit you with strength 7 attacks to reduce your save to a 5+. There are also magical items and other effects that reduce or completely negate your armour save, but high strength attacks are the most common.

You lose movement because barding on a horse increases the armour save by +1 but reduces movement 1", therefore taking away 1" when you move and 2" when you charge or march.

Anything else?

WLBjork
28-10-2008, 08:06
@ Atrahasis

not evryone owns a rulebook, because if they did, rulebooks wouldnt be 75$ CAN. dont be an *******. in the time you spent replying to rookie1986, you could have answered his question.

Atrahasis is not being an "*******".

A rulebook is very useful if you want to play the game.

There's the little Battle for Skull Pass mini-rulebook, which contains all the essential rules - look for it on E-Bay - like this one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warhammer-Fantasy-Battles-Rulebook-GW-NEW_W0QQitemZ110304261120QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item1 10304261120&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A13 18&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14).

Braad
28-10-2008, 08:21
@ Atrahasis

In addition to what WLBjork says:
And the argument about legal stuff still stands, and quite strongly too! We can get away with telling a rule on a small section (there is something like the right to quote you know), but not with copy-pasting a whole chapter (or writing them down so in-depth that it comes down to the same) which is not allowed both on here and by most countries laws.