Spearmen x 18

Sea guard x12

SPECIAL UNITS

Silver Helms x8 w/ High Helm, Standard Bearer

Phoenix Guard x20 w/ Keeper of the Flames, Standard bearer, Banner of Sorcery

Shadow Warriors x5 w/ Shadow Walker

RARE UNITS

Reaper Bolt Thrower

i got a 3 friends that play with 2 big squads of dwares, and 2 cannons and about 500 pts of rune.

need help to make a solid list against that. on my 3rd attempt and not getting a list that is working. Would like some help please.

TonyFlow
30-10-2008, 04:04
if the list is only against dwarfs i would lose the mage. One lvl 2 mage is not enough to get through the dwarf's magic defence. Take another fighty character.
Get some Swordmasters, they will definitely deal some asskicking even to dwarfs in amour. More archers... Most dwarf players seem to underestimate them and ignore them, but they will peel off some of their precious CR. So drop the shadow warriors and Sea Guard for more archers and switch the phoenix guard with swordmasters...
Well thats my suggestion, hope it will help you

Grom Wronghand
30-10-2008, 11:55
I used to play HE all the time with my Dwarves so I can tell you a few things. I don't think the archers are going to be too useful, what with dwarf armour and toughness. Swordsmasters, if you can get them into combat, are devastating, but can very easily be shot to peices, so protect them. If there's some sort of magic banner that would help with protecting them, I'd advise getting it. I also advise against spearmen. When I played them they were used under the presumption that with that many attacks is sure to cause some casualties, but it didn't work and Dwarven armour really won there. The key I think is to get as many hard hitting, high strength units as possible. Dragon Princes are deadly, but make sure they win on that charge or they're going down. Some sort of skirmishers like Shadow warriors to deal with war machines or charge flanks would be invaluable probably.

Makarion
30-10-2008, 15:42
Although I am not a high elf player (and actually don't own the army book), I'll try to add a few notes - inline.

MY current list is:

HQ UNITS

Mage w/ lvl 2, Seerstaff, Dispel Scroll, High Magic

Noble w/ Star Lance, Talisman of Loec, Heavy Armour, Shield on steed

The Noble looks good to me, although I feel that you need to do something about the mage. Against almost any army, a single level 2 mage is not going to get past basic magic defence (e.g., a scrollcaddy). At the very least, do either of the following: drop the extra level, or make him a level 4 (lord).

It might also be interesting to add a BSB noble to the list.

TROOP UNITS

Archers x 10

Spearmen x 18

Sea guard x12

Neither of these units can be expected to hurt the dwarves (or practically anyone sturdier than a skink), but the archers can be useful against light cavalry, war machines and flyers. I'd drop the spearmen, and possibly field the Sea Guard as another unit of archers.

SPECIAL UNITS

Assuming you plan to field the noble in this unit, you have a formation of 9. That's rather awkward - at best, a front of 6 with 3 ablative wounds in the back. I'd drop them down to a unit of 5 with no upgrades.

The unit and banner are great, but as support for a single level 2 mage, it's not sufficient. Keep them if you upgrade the mage (as mentioned above), otherwise drop the banner and perhaps drop 3 models for a 6*3 formation, including the wizard.

The champion is likely not necessary, if you want to safe some points.

With all the points safed, see whether you can afford a unit of 5 dragon princes with command (add the noble to it), and perhaps a cheap banner for them.

RARE UNITS

Reaper Bolt Thrower

Bolt Thrower is excellent :).

i got a 3 friends that play with 2 big squads of dwares, and 2 cannons and about 500 pts of rune.

need help to make a solid list against that. on my 3rd attempt and not getting a list that is working. Would like some help please.

WhiteKnight
30-10-2008, 15:51
Alright so your going up against dwarves. If he's gunline style, run mostly cavalry and tiranoc chariots. Try to avoid as many gun shots as possible with the chariot's fast 18" march. If he only has 2 cannons, stock up on phoenix guard. That 4+ save will do wonders in combat and shooting. Drop the sea guard and archers, they won't be as much help at all. Instead add more to the spearmen (maybe 25 if you want to get to combat against a gunline) If he has a smart gunline, he'd have his unit close to each other but if he has them at the 12" border or max deployment area, utilize this and scout him in the rear.

Gen. Confusion
31-10-2008, 18:41
MY current list is:

HQ UNITS

Mage w/ lvl 2, Seerstaff, Dispel Scroll, High Magic
Against dwarves one mage is not going to do squat. (pun intended) Drop him for another melee character.
Looks good
TROOP UNITS

Archers x 10

Spearmen x 18

Sea guard x12
Drop the sea guard and spearmen. Both of these units are too small and weak to do anything against dwarves.
SPECIAL UNITS

Try and get some swordmasters or dragon princes. They would be the best units to take on large blocks of dwarves.
RARE UNITS

Reaper Bolt Thrower
Add another bolt thrower. This thing will make its points back by skewering dwarves.
[
COLOR]
need help to make a solid list against that. on my 3rd attempt and not getting a list that is working. Would like some help please. Well I hope this helps you out. Good luck with your battles.

Valkarian
02-11-2008, 00:55

Caradryan

TROOP UNITS

Archers x 10

SPECIAL UNITS

Silver Helms x5 w/ High Helm, Standard Bearer

Phoenix Guard x20 w/ Keeper of the Flames, Standard bearer

Dragon Princes x5 w/ Drakemaster

Sword Masters x 20 w/ / Bladelord, Standard bearer

RARE UNITS

Reaper Bolt Thrower

Reaper Bolt Thrower

im at 1663 pts and not sure what to take out. suggestions??

Makarion
02-11-2008, 15:38
That all depends on how many points you're aiming at...

Twenty swordmasters in a single unit is useless though - beyond 14 (2 ranks of 7), it's unlikely to be very practical to add more and better to create a second unit.

I would also consider exchanging the current command on the silver helms for just a musician - they are too fragile a unit to have a standardbearer, which will cost you 100 VP when lost.

Lord Dan
02-11-2008, 18:10
I don't like the idea of tuning your list to his weaknesses, and I rather like your original list. If you want to win every game you play, then make yourself a hard hitting cavalry force. If you're looking for a fun, versatile game that will probably be more difficult to win, then go with what you came up with already.

It's your free time and army, after all. :)

WhiteKnight
02-11-2008, 19:56
Dan's right. Since this is basically a list to just fight dwarves, then you'll have trouble against other armies that don't have the weaknesses of dwarves. I really suggest in 2k points, have 2 blocks of spearmen, 1 or 2 units of elite infantry, 1 unit of Cav, a couple bolt throwers, and 2 mages and 2 combat characters. Chariots are exceptionally good against orcs, dark elves, wood elves, skaven, and infantry heavy, low toughness armies like men and elves.

wamphyri101
02-11-2008, 21:15
I have found a very good tactic against dwarfs is to take 5 shadow warriors lead by a noble with Great weapon, longbow and Shadow Armour. (128pts)

MEans he can start either pretty damn close to the enermys warmachines and since the dwarf will probably take the unit as just shadow warriors will not be too worried by them. Scares the hell into them when they have a str6 hero running around there fragile crews

Lord Dan
03-11-2008, 00:37
...since the dwarf will probably take the unit as just shadow warriors will not be too worried by them.

I rather like the concept of a leader in with the shadow warriors, but if you're deploying according to the rules in the BRB, your opponent should know exactly which ones are shadow warriors and which one is the hero.

I actually get angry when my opponent places his characters in with the units, and then when the "deploy characters" phase comes up simply points them out to me. I always think: "Really? I didn't set up in any way that scared you into thinking about altering part of your plan? You're seriously keeping the characters in the same places you thought they would go when you wrote the list? Ouch."