PDA

View Full Version : 40k d20 system RPG

SmashemTaBitsa
18-11-2005, 19:06
A bunch of guys in my local 40k circle are also into D&D, so I thought it would be neat to play a D20 system RPG based off the 40k universe. I was wondering if any of you know of a place to get rules people have made for this, and if not, suggestions for making my own rules. Also, if there actually is a published version, please provide a link so I can check it out. BTW, is Inquisitor an RPG? I thought I heard mention that it was, but it doesn't seem the same type as D&D or other D20 system games. If Inquisitor happens to be exactly what I'm looking for, please tell me!

Thanks much to you all!

torchdragon
18-11-2005, 19:23
*gnash roar stomp snort!*

Kill D20! Kill D20!

Part of what makes an RPG fun is the rules that go into it. Legend of the Five Rings and 7th Sea are both by AEG and both use a similar Roll & Keep D10 system. But because of the playstyle differences, the rules have been tweaked (specifically in combat) to adjust to the world style. They could've made it the same, but they didn't.

Whitewolf chose to make their D10 the defacto standard in how the Storyteller Series used their rules. Good for writing a ton of books on 1 system, but it start to show the flaw withe cookie-cutter rules. They lack flavor.

Now, back to my original statement... Kill D20! Why? Ok, well, maybe not KILL the system, just, stop using it so much. So much has been lost of the flavor of D20 systems that when you need to roll dice, all it is is rolling dice. There's no real catch to it. A bolter will now be the same as a wand, or a gun, or a sword... Gone is the thunder and light go together with The Holy Bolter.

There are more dice than a D20. There are more systems than a D20. Free yourself from the shackles of D20! Heck, check out GURPS, they might already have a 40k world ready to go.

AFAIK, Inquisitor has their specific model game rules but I don't know about a pen and paper RPG.

SmashemTaBitsa
18-11-2005, 19:28
The reason I wanted to use D20 is because that is the system everyone plays. Noone in my group wants to spend all their precious D&D days playtesting an entirely new system. But if the game were made in a system they already know (which is only the D20 one) then the game would be a 40k application of what they already play. Believe me, I understand what you mean about variety in games, but I don't really have time to devise a whole new system. I'm just looking for pointers so I can sit down and get this going in about a week or two. Also, what is GURPS, and do you have a link? Thanks for the advice!

x-esiv-4c
18-11-2005, 19:34
I believe there is a published version somewhere. It's about 900 pages long. I'll see if I still have it.

piotrov
18-11-2005, 20:04
There apparently was a d20 40K game made, but the author took it down (as well as the GURPS version) from his website. The reason given was "by order of the Inquisition".... Anyway, the site is here: D20 40K game (http://www.electric-rain.net/w40kRPG/d20-index.html). Maybe if you ask (e-mail) the guy nicely he'll send you the rules.

There's a bunch of other rules floating around the net as well. There's one out there that's based on the Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play rules set; I thought I had a link to it, but apparently I lost some it somewhere along the way.

Here's some links to a couple of other rules sets. I don't know anything about these ones, so I can't vouch for how good they are:

Warhammer RPG (http://destinova.home.insightbb.com/40KRPG/index.html)

40K RPG at Impossible Realities download page (http://www.impossible-realities.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=MostPopular&ratenum=10&ratetype=num)

SmashemTaBitsa - G.U.R.P.S. stands for Generic Universal Role Playing System. It's an RPG with a points based character creation system (so you build your character instead of roll up one), and it's designed to work in any setting. There's been a ton of supplements produced over the years, including many licensed from established fantasy and sci-fi settings. For more info, check out the official site:

GURPS Website (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/)

I hope you find a system that you and your group enjoy playing.

Apollyon
18-11-2005, 20:15
The best AND cheapest way do a "proper" 40K roleplaying game is to use the Inquisitor combat system and the "basic roleplaying" system from Chaosium both are free for download, Call of Cthulhu/w Inquistor works really well too.

Rathgar
18-11-2005, 23:11
*gnash roar stomp snort!*

Kill D20! Kill D20!

:D

I'd be very surprised if BI don't have a 40k RPG in some stage of development, they'd be stupid not to the demand for it is HUGE.

mostholycerebus
19-11-2005, 00:17
A really excellent system for modern and future roleplaying games is the new Spycraft 2nd edition. It has a variety of Campaign Qualities that can really shape the flavor of your game. It also has a much better combat system than other d20, which remains pretty simple yet detailed.

Kordos
19-11-2005, 02:22
The Star Wars D20 rpg would be easily adaptable to the 40k universe

Jo Bennett
19-11-2005, 19:05
A friend of mine did a very good WFRP/Inquisitor kitbash, which can be found here:
http://www.imperium.freeservers.com/

RedKnightSpecial
20-11-2005, 16:36
Shadowrun makes an Awesome D&D game. Keep the rules and use 40K fluff. You can easily make all kinds of 40K charctaer types using their cyber/bioware rules. And the guns are already ruled up and deadly.

DrDoom
20-11-2005, 17:48
If you're willing to step away from D20 a little see if you can find Alternity. The system is simple and easy to teach and makes for a great WH40K game. My home made campaign is based of Alternity, and it works good.

I imagine the new warhammer fantasy game could also be pretty easy to convert.

lord_blackfang
20-11-2005, 18:10
D20 is a godawful system, but it's free, it's plug-and-play, and has more supplements (official, third-party or fan-made) than any other game on the planet.

Spell_of_Destruction
22-11-2005, 22:13
Here is one written by a good friend of mine:

http://www.geocities.com/skrittiblak/

I haven't done enough roleplaying to comment on it other than that.

Easy E
23-11-2005, 01:51
Try Fudge, it's free and super easy to use and adapt. I found it here:

http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/Rules/Miscellaneous/miscellaneous.htm

Chem-Dog
23-11-2005, 03:07
Inquisior would be a good basis for a 40K RPG although as it is it'd need a lot of work, for one Inquisitor doesn't have any true weight measurment, nor does it have any real consideration of money, although there is some mention of it in the back of the book it's left to the player to decide how important it is.

For me RPGing is as much about what happens in between the fights as during the fights themselves. It'd be nice to be able to roleplay something in the 40K universe without having to be marines or the inquisition or chaos cultists or something, explore the Civilian side of 40K.

Jo Bennett
23-11-2005, 09:28
The playtests that were done for Imperium (linked above) involved one campaign on Logan's world (from the RT book) and another in the Necromundan underhive, both of which dealt with the more civilian/criminal end of things. There can be a bit of the old WFRP "another ********* chaos cult" problem, but genestealers and others provide a bit of variety.

Zanusiekk
23-11-2005, 13:58
You could try looking up Godlike by Atlas Games. It's a game about people with supernatural powers in WW2. The rules are quick, simple, yet accurate and would be perfect for depicting guardsmen (considering that the relative protection from their armour against their weapons would be close to that offered by flak armour agains lasguns). It also gives you rulse for supernatural armour that quite nicely corresponds to power armour, as well as the obvious ready-to-go psyker rules.

Other than that- it's ******* great rules-set adaptable to nearly any setting, and one of the few where a bullet to the chest will actually get you killed...

Hope it helps!

Goblinardo
23-11-2005, 20:25
Here is one written by a good friend of mine:

http://www.geocities.com/skrittiblak/

I haven't done enough roleplaying to comment on it other than that.

This looks nice. I wish I could download the thing in a single file, though. Guess I should just wait until Monday.