PDA

View Full Version : Scratch built models at GW stores

Lisiecki
30-10-2008, 09:03
Hey all.

Ive been reading the Daemon codex, and i think im going to run a MC heavy army with it.
There is one thing im worried about though, all the Nurgel Models, IMHO look like poo.
I'm planing on making them out of modeling clay.
since the local game store closed down, all we have left is a GW to play at.
I've heard two things about GW stores, that
A) your models most be MOSTLY GW models to play at there stores
AND
B) Scratch built models are ok

so what i want to make sure, is B true?

chromedog
30-10-2008, 09:15
Nurgle models are SUPPOSED to look like poo. It attracts more flies that way.

That said, I don't like any of the chaos models and don't play chaos, or even in a GW store. Some of the managers can be a harda%% with company policy - but if it means they are potentially costing themselves sales, they'll work out a compromise (or be replaced).

I know the store I used to play at (3rd ed) was fine with it, but then they got a new manager (non-gamer) and he followed the policy to the letter. Pity all the 'regulars' then moved to the "new games store in town" and spent their money there afterwards (getting more for their money, too, courtesy the %10 store GW discount).

Lisiecki
30-10-2008, 09:25
Nurgle models are SUPPOSED to look like poo. It attracts more flies that way.

That said, I don't like any of the chaos models and don't play chaos, or even in a GW store. Some of the managers can be a harda%% with company policy - but if it means they are potentially costing themselves sales, they'll work out a compromise (or be replaced).

I know the store I used to play at (3rd ed) was fine with it, but then they got a new manager (non-gamer) and he followed the policy to the letter. Pity all the 'regulars' then moved to the "new games store in town" and spent their money there afterwards (getting more for their money, too, courtesy the %10 store GW discount).

Eh I hope they dont get to annoying about it, lord knows ive spent billions there
BILLIONS

Still im not sure what your saying the official word is on that?
Ive seen more than a few Ork Stompas at the store
so im not sure if my Nurgle Playdoh will be turned away
(playdoh that has been sculpted and painited quite nicely IMHO)

Shangrila
30-10-2008, 09:28
Certain opponents didnt really care for my "proxying" with non Gw models. But the Guys at seatle GW liked the Bridge bunnies.

(I like some of the chicks from warmachine and other lines so i modified them and have them in my army as commisars or Veterans in my Command squad. but i sure somone will have a problem with my bridge bunnies when they realize there not GW kits. )

Lisiecki
30-10-2008, 09:33
Certain opponents didnt really care for my "proxying" with non Gw models. But the Guys at seatle GW liked the Bridge bunnies.

(I like some of the chicks from warmachine and other lines so i modified them and have them in my army as commisars or Veterans in my Command squad. but i sure somone will have a problem with my bridge bunnies when they realize there not GW kits. )

Oh there not going to be NonGW models, just modeling clay done in the form of rotting lovecraft style monsters tenticals, exposed intestines, maggots ect ect ect

something not unlike this
http://www.nyder.com/cthulhu/graphics/clay1.jpg

The Rogue Trader
30-10-2008, 09:52
I think staff at most GWs would be fine with a few scratch-builts but you may get a bit of hassle if you turn up with a fully scratch-built army.

Lisiecki
30-10-2008, 11:46
I think staff at most GWs would be fine with a few scratch-builts but you may get a bit of hassle if you turn up with a fully scratch-built army.

Thats Kewl and Fair

So far i have some plage deamons made up from zombies/skelis
and nurglings that are 3-4 goblinors on a 25 mm base.

Ill be honest i just want some unique looking models on the field
So far the one i have that i like the best, is on a 60mm base is an arm, 4 inches wide, 3 inches tall reaching out of a pile of goo, with wing tips also coming out I know alot of people have been talking about people modeling to get an advanage, but from what i can tell, thats as big or bigger than most MCs

parus_ater
30-10-2008, 11:53
I'd make sure that every unit had a couple of componant parts in, models built onto a GW model etc, heads, arms and that should be fine.

Lisiecki
30-10-2008, 11:57
I'd make sure that every unit had a couple of componant parts in, models built onto a GW model etc, heads, arms and that should be fine.

Oh i like that idea,
maybe not parts from the Deamons them selves, but i have a lot of marine/Skeli/Zombie arms and heads around, maybe have some new plage daemons pulling them selves out of the great unclean ones...

parus_ater
30-10-2008, 12:15
I've got some zombies that I sculpted which have the odd leg and arm showing and using a variety of left over heads. What I sculpted onto was the old empire spearmen and zombie bodies. I just whittled down the details so they didn't look too fat with the greenstuff on top.

Lisiecki
30-10-2008, 12:19
I've got some zombies that I sculpted which have the odd leg and arm showing and using a variety of left over heads. What I sculpted onto was the old empire spearmen and zombie bodies. I just whittled down the details so they didn't look too fat with the greenstuff on top.

thats pretty cool,
i really do like the idea of a busted open stomach on a GUO with nurglings and plague makers spewing forth out of it.

Eldoriath
30-10-2008, 12:26
I think B is true.
But anyways, you could always say that you used GW models and built onto them heavily, and if you really want to be "legal", just make the frame skeleton out from sprue frame bitz, that way you have an amount of GW bitz in it.

Lisiecki
30-10-2008, 12:34
I think B is true.
But anyways, you could always say that you used GW models and built onto them heavily, and if you really want to be "legal", just make the frame skeleton out from sprue frame bitz, that way you have an amount of GW bitz in it.

LOL that's one idea...
I just want to make sure its all cool, i know that when i go to a GW they let me game there, so they can sell me models, and i respect that.

But all the Nurgle stuff just looks so Blah and static

If nothing else, i will find a place for Dire Wolves in my army

Cherubael
30-10-2008, 12:43
It does seem to be down to the manager of the GW store in question, but if it is a decent attempt at sculpting nurgle-ish style stuff id say they would be happy enough- id be surprised if they didnt encourage you to do more in fact. Its only when people turn up with a bag of empty bases or toy soldiers that ive noticed anyone at my local store having a problem with it.

Lisiecki
30-10-2008, 12:48
It does seem to be down to the manager of the GW store in question, but if it is a decent attempt at sculpting nurgle-ish style stuff id say they would be happy enough- id be surprised if they didnt encourage you to do more in fact. Its only when people turn up with a bag of empty bases or toy soldiers that ive noticed anyone at my local store having a problem with it.

Cool

Ya im trying to do something unique and interesting.
If i can find m digital cam ill try to make a project log.

ill be honest, i got the codex at the start of the week, and ive never cared for Nurgle before, but ill be damned if he dosnt seem to love his job.

I really get a Lovecraft Vibe from him.
the other three.
Destroying your foes, i can understand
Unlimited sensation, i can understand
Just wanting to **** with people, i can understand

but nurgel, and plage marines, have always had modications that are alien to me

EVIL INC
30-10-2008, 13:15
Personally, I dont care if you use scratch built, or other companies models. So long as I can easily tell what is what, its ok with me.
I believe that the "official" ruling is that its up to the store manager and may fluctuate from store to store as different managers have different opinions.

Sleazy
30-10-2008, 13:16
my local GW is fine with it. They were actually really impressed with my scratch drop pods and Ikims scratch Scorpion. These were just cool additions to armys containing lotsa real gw minis though.

parus_ater
30-10-2008, 13:21
My Local Gw Makes Me So Horney

Knock one off then, christ knows it can't make your spelling any worse!

Sleazy
30-10-2008, 15:50
My Local Gw Makes Me So Horney

oh dear. are the schools out already?

listen mate, I'm sure a lot of things make you "horney" being the 12 year old you are I'm sure life can be quite frustrating.

One question my pre-pubescent non life.... what have you actually "pwned"?

I once took a whole tyranid army to my local pawn brokers but sadly they werent interested.

Lisiecki
30-10-2008, 15:59
Personally, I dont care if you use scratch built, or other companies models. So long as I can easily tell what is what, its ok with me.
I believe that the "official" ruling is that its up to the store manager and may fluctuate from store to store as different managers have different opinions.

See thats the thing about the GUCO that im having trouble with.
Iron Armour is easy enough, just giant plates on them

Unholymight is arms that are out of porportion with the body

But im not sure about the various attacks and powers

Lisiecki
01-11-2008, 05:30
Project Log for those who care

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3052723#post3052723

Harbringerxv8
01-11-2008, 05:44
The guys at the LA Battle Bunker had no problem with my orkified 68 Camaro.

Lisiecki
01-11-2008, 05:48
The guys at the LA Battle Bunker had no problem with my orkified 68 Camaro.

that count as a titan?