PDA

View Full Version : FW Hammerhead turrets, worthwhile?

my_name_is_tudor
18-11-2005, 21:25
I posted this up in tactics, but I think it would be better suited here, as it is less about tactics, and more about general worth.

What do you think of the FW hammerhead variants? Any worthwhile uses? Any experience using them?

Aurelien
18-11-2005, 21:27
I'm going to get one (at least) of the fusion turrets. Those will make Necrons fall down and stay down. The others seem to me to have less worth.

Puffin Magician
19-11-2005, 00:36
Going by the trial rules as I don't have IA3 yet:

Fusion Cannons: A twinlinked Multimelta for a few less points than the Railgun, which has the option of massacring infantry. How often are battle tanks going to be 24" apart?

Plasma Cannons: A Twinlinked Ap2 Autocannon. Expensive but probably the most worthwhile. Firing this into a bunch of Terminators/eq and then raking through with a pair of Burst Cannons is my current idea and it's very attractive; especially considering that armament costs less than the Railgun upgrade alone.

Burst Cannons: Worse strength but more shots than the Missiles. These + 2 Burst Cannon = dead hordes. Coupled with the fact that this option is cheaper than a 12-man Fire Warrior squad led by a Shas'ui, the LongLink Bursts are the perfect thing for dealing with pesky Orks/Guardsmen/Gaunts.

Missile Pods: A pair of their Crisis equivalent. A cheaper alternative to using the Railgun Submunition round.

Like the IG Conqueror and Tank Destroyer, they have GW kits that do the job just as well or better, for less points. They're nice as alternative that provides a good conversion/purchase opportunity, but that's all. I like them primarily because of that. I'm going to convert a few just for kicks and something different now and then.

Samoth
19-11-2005, 07:55
The problem with these imo is that they are larger battlesuit guns, rather tham sregular mbt guns, such as the conqueror, or destroyer are armed with. I woud like to see a genuinely new weapon.

my_name_is_tudor
19-11-2005, 15:44
I may get some at some point down the line. I have always liked the idea of collecting an army purely from a fluff standpoint (rules legal of course though), playing with it,a nd then, without making any minor changes, trying to win with it. I don't know if this is possible in some cases, but it would be fun. Rather than collecting what you know will win, or what is most likley to win. I play to play, not to win, not neccessarily.