PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elves 1000pts

Ixeon
31-10-2008, 12:09
Wood Elf Noble (75pts)
Upgrades: Great Weapon (+4pts)
Spites: None
Kindred: The Alter Kindreds(+5pts)
Magic Items: Hail of Doom Arrow (+30pts)

Total pts: 114

Spellsinger (90pts)
Upgrades: None
Spites: None
Magic Items: +1 Dispel Scroll (+25pts) Calaingorīs Stave (+25pts)
Total pts: 140

Glade Guard (120pts)
10x
Command: None
Total pts: 120

Glade Guard (120pts)
10x
Total pts: 120

Glade Riders (120pts)
5x
Command: Musician (+9pts)
Total pts: 129

Dryads (96pts)
8x
Total pts: 96

Treeman (285pts)
1x
Upgrades: None.
Total pts: 285

Total Army pts: 1003

The reason why i got the treemen is simply becuase i love the minature, even thought fire is a deadly thing for him i like him. However maybe iīll drop the treemen for the following units:

Great Eagle (50pts)
1x
Upgrades: None.
Total pts: 50

Dryads (96pts)
8x
Total pts: 96

Glade Guard (60pts)
5x
Upgrades: Scouts (+25pts)
Total pts: 85

And Branch Nymph for all dryad units.

Suggestions and thoughts?

Odin
31-10-2008, 12:23
A few thoughts...

A musician is far more useful in the Glade Riders than Glade Guard. The Glade Riders are more likely to see combat, and also very likely to flee from a charge or two, so will want the +1Ld when rallying.

The Hunters Talon on its own is not really very useful. You could probably take out a unit champion or two, but to what end? You won't be much of a threat to enemy combat characters, I guess it could be handy enough against enemy wizards, but you'll only get one shot at them before your opponent moves them out of harms way. So I'd rethink the Noble a bit. Of course, the boring thing to do would be to make him an alter noble with the Bow of Loren, but everyone does that. I'd go with the Hail of Doom Arrow, and maybe the item that makes your opponent strike last to counteract the drawback of the great weapon.

Treeman will be very powerful at this points size, so no worries there, providing you pick and choose your fights well, and keep him supported with the Dryads.

Lord Malorne
31-10-2008, 12:29
Who uses bow of loren on a hero? Thats crazy.

Hail of doom arrow on an alter noble with great weapon and helm of the hunt has earned the name 'standard alter noble' for a reason...its bloody good!

Treemen are hard, in this many (and more) points he rarely has to worry about anything, most flaming things are strength 3 or 4...so need 6's to woound (lets ignore dwarf fireball cannon :angel:)...though it is not a friendy thing to take at 1000pts if you get me ;).

Ixeon
31-10-2008, 12:31
A musician is far more useful in the Glade Riders than Glade Guard. The Glade Riders are more likely to see combat, and also very likely to flee from a charge or two, so will want the +1Ld when rallying

Okey, iīll fix that.

So I'd rethink the Noble a bit. Of course, the boring thing to do would be to make him an alter noble with the Bow of Loren, but everyone does that. I'd go with the Hail of Doom Arrow, and maybe the item that makes your opponent strike last to counteract the drawback of the great weapon.

It will be 55pts for both hail of doom arrow and the opponens strike last, so i rather do the average stuff and make him an alter noble in that case, sence i love shooting.

Treeman will be very powerful at this points size, so no worries there, providing you pick and choose your fights well, and keep him supported with the Dryads.

Okey nice!

Odin
31-10-2008, 12:32
Who uses bow of loren on a hero? Thats crazy.

Hail of doom arrow on an alter noble with great weapon and helm of the hunt has earned the name 'standard alter noble' for a reason...its bloody good!

Treemen are hard, in this many (and more) points he rarely has to worry about anything, most flaming things are strength 3 or 4...so need 6's to woound (lets ignore dwarf fireball cannon :angel:)...though it is not a friendy thing to take at 1000pts if you get me ;).

Oh yes, I was getting confused with the Alter Highborn with Bow of Loren and Arcane Bodkins - a real knight-killer.

Ixeon
31-10-2008, 12:36

Thanks for the tip!

Treemen are hard, in this many (and more) points he rarely has to worry about anything, most flaming things are strength 3 or 4...so need 6's to woound (lets ignore dwarf fireball cannon :angel:)...though it is not a friendy thing to take at 1000pts if you get me ;)

baah, WE are the most balanced army IMO, they are all about the terrain, we need something unfriendly ^^

Lord Malorne
31-10-2008, 12:37
Thats the good one :D.

If you want unfriendy take wild riders with the banner of dwindling (if the enemy can flee...stupid undead and daemons).

Wild riders are useful, it took me a few months to decide to take them and as I was kept being told you do start to use them in every battle...have loads of good rules. You can convert some from glade riders really easy, I did that for 2 units in my army...

Check them out in my sig :).

Ixeon
31-10-2008, 12:52
Willd riders are useful, it took me a few months to decide to take them and as I was kept being told you do start to use them in every battle...have loads of good rules. You can convert some from glade riders really easy, I did that for 2 units in my army...
Check them out in my sig :).

Canīt seem to find them, not any riders in there =X

Lord Malorne
31-10-2008, 13:14
Fixed!

As you see I went for an autumn theme :D.

What were you thinking of going for?

Ixeon
31-10-2008, 13:18
Fixed!

As you see I went for an autumn theme :D.

What were you thinking of going for?

The thing is i am just writeing alot of diffrent army lists now to see what army i like the most on 1000pts, i have only bought a glade guards box so far, painting them the common green ''spring''.

Lord Malorne
31-10-2008, 13:25
Well when I did my army I was able to get pretty much every unit from the get go off the trading forum...to date I can field any WE unit (including arielle) so I feel safe in saying there is nothing in the WE army I would not take, I played with different things in different games and nothing was 'useless' or 'not that good' so I would say if you closed your eyse and bought a random WE box...you'd get something bloody good.

:D.

The Red Scourge
31-10-2008, 14:20
I'd say your list are a bit too focussed on shooting, which makes it a bit weak. One unit of Glade Guards "shoot" be enough.

Also a treeman is a bit dangerous for 1K – its almost a third of your points. Two units of wardancers could wreak havoc for the points.

My favorite unit WE unit is 6 Wild Riders with a War Banner at 199 points, they'll be breaking units by turn 2 – just remember to hit the flanks.

IMO there are no really bad choices in the WE army, but if you focus too hard on one aspect, you will have trouble adapting to certain opponents – e.g. heavy cavalry lists would cream your list.

Lord Malorne
31-10-2008, 15:11
The treeman would not be creamed by heavy cavaly my good sir.

Ixeon
31-10-2008, 18:53
I'd say your list are a bit too focussed on shooting, which makes it a bit weak. One unit of Glade Guards "shoot" be enough.
I read something diffrent on a Wood Elf forumhttp://www.librarium-online.com/forums/wood-elves/that everyone always takes ATLEAST 2 units, there are many that takes 3+ units of GG. And also IMO wood elves is still a shooty army, even if we got the forest spirits.

Also a treeman is a bit dangerous for 1K – its almost a third of your points. Two units of wardancers could wreak havoc for the
The problem with that is, how do you protect them from shooting?, a treeman has a Toughness of 6, and most shooting weapons has a Strength of 3-4, that means they wound on 5-6? in smal 1k pts armys i think they would just get shoot down to easy my magic and shooting, a treeman seems harder to kill.

IMO there are no really bad choices in the WE army, but if you focus too hard on one aspect, you will have trouble adapting to certain opponents – e.g. heavy cavalry lists would cream your list
I agree with you, but there will always be a list that is a counter-setup to what you got, you canīt have it all, you have to choose your paths, especially on these low point games. Like one time i had an army of chaos warriors with 2 chariots and some infantary, and i faced a shooty dwarf army, he had stone thrower, cannons, bolt throwers and some ''crossbowmen'' and only 1 fighting unit, and that was some dwarf warriors with a thane in it. And he beat the crap out of me, killed 80% of my army until i manged to get in combat.
Again, my point is, you will always have a anti-army, so why not make what you think is fun, it will be good at some thing and bad at some things. Itīs like trying to make a dwarf army fast, why not focus on defense instead of speed, sence they are an deffensive army.

The Red Scourge
31-10-2008, 22:19
The treeman would not be creamed by heavy cavaly my good sir.

Nope. Just ignored while the rest of the army would be creamed, which really is the same in my book kind sir ;)