PDA

View Full Version : White Dwarf price increase?

heldane
31-10-2008, 12:18
Hey all,

I decided to pick up the new issue this morning and got myself something of a shock when I went to pay for it, they've increased the price to £4.50!

When did they announce this, or has this been an increase they have kept silent from us all?

Dan

Lord Malorne
31-10-2008, 12:22
:eek: I did not even notice!

I get mine off an indie that gives us a 10% discount on stuff...seems the staff did not know as I got this with something else and the final prices was worked out as this as £4...

Random profanities aside I must say this is most distasteful to raise the price since it is certainly not any better.

Foolish Mortal
31-10-2008, 13:08
Thankfully (???) I took out a subscription before the price rise so I'm good for a while.

I could understand the rise if it was to cover more & better content, but it seems to be 'same old S**t, new extotortionate price'. What happened to the promise to improve WD?, just more GW b******t?

I really don't know what I'll do when my sub runs out. I have every issue back to 136, and really want to keep getting it, but unless there is a massive jump in quality.......well, I really, really can't say.

x-esiv-4c
31-10-2008, 14:05
Good thing I don't buy that dreadful mag!

Whitehorn
31-10-2008, 14:22
When did they announce this, or has this been an increase they have kept silent from us all?

Err... when they announced the price increases maybe?

DarthSte
31-10-2008, 14:51
I subscribe, so don't really listen, but this is the first I'd heard of it... They need to give us a cover-disc each month if they want to charge that for it. Or aftershave samples. Or totty.

thinkerman
31-10-2008, 15:11
Subscription price is now £48 and the new model is a Dwarf

Jedi152
31-10-2008, 15:19
£48? Ouch!

Any pics of the model around yet?

Son of the Lion
31-10-2008, 15:21
Wow. I forgot my book this morning so was thinking about picking up the latest issue out of desperation on my way through London tonight.

£4.50? Don't make me laugh. £4 was an insult, £3.50 would be overpriced. And don't tell me overheads, yadda yadda - as pointed out elsewhere, for that cover price you'd expect a disc or freebie, at least some goddamn content. As it is, the price hike can only be based on the cost of GWs own advertising. I smell desperation, or just phenomenally bad budget management in the WD division.

Jedi152
31-10-2008, 15:24
I agree. £4 was bad for the content, but i still picked it up occasionally as it's still in the 'pocket change' bracket.

£4.50? Not unless i've got a fiver burning a hole in my pocket. For £2.49 more i can buy a novel. Hell, i'd rather buy a model if i've got a fiver.

Captain Marius
31-10-2008, 15:32
I didn't even notice the increase, and somehow nor did the WHSmiths bar code reader where I bought the WD for £4 :D But sure enough, there on the cover in the tiniest of type it says £4.50. How bizarre :D

El'Flashman
31-10-2008, 15:33
Begging your pardon but so what? 50p is hardly gonna break the bank I can't see what difference this'll make to their sales. And considering their new direct debit subscription deal it'll just increase the amount of subscribers (£5 for the first 3 issues and then £9 for every three after that). Almost all magazines cost about £5 so I don't think it's a big deal. As for the content... well I don't think a price change, either up or down, is gonna change any long standing opinions.

Nothings changed if you think WD's worth it you'll buy it, if you didn't before you won't now, so what?

Lord Malorne
31-10-2008, 15:37
Beg your pardon but is not just 50p more...for most people it was a debate to get it considering how...crap it is these days, now it pushes it into a different mental price bracket...which sucks.

It is in its own way like the £15 box's going upto £18...your getting nothing extra so you are not happy paying...for nothing extra.

Well at least I do not like paying for nothing.

Charax
31-10-2008, 15:50
£4.50? wow, they really are milking it, aren't they? If I'm going to justify paying a fiver for a magazine I'll get a PC mag and get more pages, fewer ads, better content and normally at least a hundred pounds worth of software on the cover DVD.

Son of the Lion
31-10-2008, 15:50
Begging your pardon but so what? 50p is hardly gonna break the bank I can't see what difference this'll make to their sales. And considering their new direct debit subscription deal it'll just increase the amount of subscribers (£5 for the first 3 issues and then £9 for every three after that). Almost all magazines cost about £5 so I don't think it's a big deal. As for the content... well I don't think a price change, either up or down, is gonna change any long standing opinions.

Nothings changed if you think WD's worth it you'll buy it, if you didn't before you won't now, so what?

Emphasis mine. Do you really think raising the price further without any noticeable increase in quality isn't going to push a chunk of potential readers from the former to the latter? Please.

It's not a GW thing, I've felt the same way about 2000AD / Megazine over the years - the other publication(s) I used to buy regularly. At times the price would climb, the quality drop and I would stop buying it. Then I would pick it up a year or two later and find that it was a bit better value. If there's a spike in the quality of WD I may be tempted back, but so far that hasn't happened. Just more hikes....

xowainx
31-10-2008, 16:13
Raising the price further? When was the last time WD went up in price? By my reckoning it's about five years ago and given that their costs for producing it have legitimately risen in that time, I don't think an extra 50p warrants the disgust some on here will exhibit or will really kill it's circulation numbers.

burtnernie
31-10-2008, 16:18
The white dwarf dragged me back to this hobby along with the logan grimnar model. So I need to be fair here.

The WRITERS of the magazine are feckless at times and should try asking the exceptionally wide audience what they want. I assure you not one will say they want a monthly sales catalogues for £4.50 a month.

For gods sake...

I would read Firebase over white dwarf in it's current state any time. Cos Forebase is directed at gamers and dare I say this here, HOBBIESTS and Hobby Enthusiasts!

GW is a profit making company ok, I get that, but for the love of moses' exceptionally well worn sandles use your business accumen and sort it out first if you are going to charge more!

Right rant over... at least it's out of the way now, and I can be mellow when my gf whines like feck at me when she gets home to find the dog has probably destroyed something else in the house!

The boyz
31-10-2008, 16:19
£4.50? bloody hell! I certainly wont be buying WD anymore, that's for sure. As Jedi152 stated, for a thew quid more you could buy a book.

Lord Malorne
31-10-2008, 16:29
Raising the price further? When was the last time WD went up in price? By my reckoning it's about five years ago and given that their costs for producing it have legitimately risen in that time, I don't think an extra 50p warrants the disgust some on here will exhibit or will really kill it's circulation numbers.

Yes my good sir but the last time it went up lost two things...

1)Good consistent content.
2)The ability to say 'tree fitty' on purchase.

I rest my case.

Son of the Lion
31-10-2008, 16:40
I ain't giving you no fo'-fitty you goddamn White Dwarf! Get your own goddamn money!

Lord Malorne
31-10-2008, 16:44
You just know GW is in fact owned by the loch ness monster..:angel:

''I went into my local GW the other day and tried to just browse around...the GW's blueshirt kept following me around pointing out good items here and there and how he owns half the models in the shop....we get to the till after a liitle while and I ask how much for the WD...he says Fo fitty.............Now it was about this time I noticed it was no GW blueshirt...but the god damn loch ness moster....I said...Hey god damn loch ness monster! I ain't giving you no Fo-fitty, Get your own goddamn money!''

;)

Tokamak
31-10-2008, 16:49
There's no way decreasing value can justify an increasing price.

El'Flashman
31-10-2008, 17:17
Beg your pardon but is not just 50p more...for most people it was a debate to get it considering how...crap it is these days, now it pushes it into a different mental price bracket...which sucks.

As I always say (mostly to the wife) if you're not 100% about sure about buying something, then don't buy it. If buying WD is a 'debate' for you or anyone else for that matter then don't buy it. Simple as. So in the end this is just about 50p or is it...?

It is in its own way like the £15 box's going up to £18...your getting nothing extra so you are not happy paying...for nothing extra.

Well at least I do not like paying for nothing.

Ah.. I see your problem here. It's not really WD or GW but that little evil called inflation. No I don't like paying more for nothing but then I do pay more all the time, at the petrol pump, at the supermarket, at the cinema, the bookstore, just about everywhere really. I don't get any extra petrol (though I am recently :D ) and my bread isn't significantly better (in fact I suspect it's getting worse) but in the end I pay more for the same (or less) so long as my pay's adjusted for inflation then in the end it doesn't really matter.

Emphasis mine. Do you really think raising the price further without any noticeable increase in quality isn't going to push a chunk of potential readers from the former to the latter? Please.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: Honestly I don't; last time the price went up I had a similar conversation with a store manager about the subject and he said that WD subscription rates stay steady regardless of price and considering what I've already said about the DD subscription prices I don't see how that'll change, if anything subscription rates should increase. I myself took out the subscription offer last month and became a subscriber for the first time in over two years. Thus I received this months issue for a fraction of the £4.50 your complaining about (£1.67) so not only have I dodged the price increase I've received a price drop, which naturally I'm happy about.

For me the DD thing is great as I now get WD early again, at a fraction of the price and I don't have to pay a large yearly subscription to do it, just a small manageable quarterly one. You however as a (presumably) non-subscriber will always pay a premium for the same product, but then you have a choice about whether or not you pick up every issue. In the end it's just 50p which is in the realm of a Mars bar or can of Coke, not big money so this really comes down to whether or not you think WD is worth buying. Which as I said before is unlikely to have changed due to this marginal price increase.*

*TBH the paint price increase bothers me more.

The Phazer
31-10-2008, 17:25
GW is in a difficult place economically with WD.

Most magazines make no money at all from their cover price. It just about covers shipping, retailer overhead and printing if you're lucky (most of the time not even all of the last one).

The profit and the funding to employ staff who actually make the content (and their overheads - computers, electricity, offices etc) come from selling advertising inside the mag.

But WD doesn't take any external advertising. I'm sure it doesn't mind it's retail arm subsidising coverage of all those new models a little, but I have no doubt the limits to those amounts are much smaller than people think.

And hence the costs of editorial content seem to be under massive, massive pressure, leading to cuts in real terms and price increases on the other end.

But that's very bad news for sales, and can lead to a vicious circle of price increases to cover falling circulations causing lower circulations causing more price increases before the whole thing folds.

£4.50 *is* a lot on the UK newsstand for a magazine of WD's thickness, but it'll be hard to fix the problem.

The most obvious solution I can see is that WD desperately needs to be allowed to use product to buy articles from outsiders again. There's a lot of high quality stuff it could get this way extremely cheaply, and that would help enormously - White Dwarf has felt for a few years it's padding out article text that should only fill half it's page count.

I can't see any other way to square the circle.

Phazer

Lord Malorne
31-10-2008, 17:30
As I always say (mostly to the wife) if you're not 100% about sure about buying something, then don't buy it. If buying WD is a 'debate' for you or anyone else for that matter then don't buy it. Simple as. So in the end this is just about 50p or is it...?

Ah.. I see your problem here. It's not really WD or GW but that little evil called inflation. No I don't like paying more for nothing but then I do pay more all the time, at the petrol pump, at the supermarket, at the cinema, the bookstore, just about everywhere really. I don't get any extra petrol (though I am recently :D ) and my bread isn't significantly better (in fact I suspect it's getting worse) but in the end I pay more for the same (or less) so long as my pay's adjusted for inflation then in the end it doesn't really matter.

As I said, I do not like paying for nothing which is what I am asked to do.

I would not give a damn about paying 50p more, IF I was getting my monies worth, which we no longer are. TBH I will still get this next month as I always get WD even though it has been crap for a long time, I am just that kind of collecter, I am in for the long ride, but I am pointing out that it is not worth the increase.

Please can you explain why you do not mind paying more, none of that 'if you do not like it don't buy it'...I want to know why 50p more is ok?

And an extra 25p for paint is nothing, I get far more use out of them over a far longer period to justify there purchase.

I can't see any other way to square the circle.

Phazer

I miss fan subbmissions :(.

El'Flashman
31-10-2008, 17:42
As I said, I do not like paying for nothing which is what I am asked to do.

But you're not being asked to pay for nothing, you're being asked to pay for a mag, that's it. The price has gone up, the prices go up on everything and the quality of any product is for you to discern. For instance, house prices (were) going up constantly but the houses (are) getting smaller, so you're paying more for less.

I would not give a damn about paying 50p more, IF I was getting my monies worth, which we no longer are.

TBH that's a mater of opinion. I personally think WD has improved in the last few months (since the exorcism of Grombrindal)

TBH I will still get this next month as I always get WD even though it has been crap for a long time, I am just that kind of collecter, I am in for the long ride, but I am pointing out that it is not worth the increase.

This is madness! Then subscribe, if you always buy it. DD £5 for the first 3 issues and then (3 for the price of 2) £9 for every three there after. That's a £3 per issue price. Like I said if you don't subscribe then you pay a premium but that's your lot.

Please can you explain why you do not mind paying more, none of that 'if you do not like it don't buy it'...I want to know why 50p more is ok?

Who said I like it? I feel it's acceptable and understandable so I don't complain about it.

And an extra 25p for paint is nothing, I get far more use out of them over a far longer period to justify there purchase.

Well that's just a matter of perception, I've still got the WD's I bought when I started the hobby, all the paint I bought has since dried out.... :D

Lord Malorne
31-10-2008, 17:47
And what have they dried out on?...;)

El'Flashman
31-10-2008, 17:51
But WD doesn't take any external advertising. I'm sure it doesn't mind it's retail arm subsidising coverage of all those new models a little, but I have no doubt the limits to those amounts are much smaller than people think.

That's an interesting point and one which many here seem to forget. WD carries no outside advertising so all it's advertising is 'in-house', hence the catalogue cries.

I do wonder how many of those pages for 'thicker' PC mags (or any kind) are made up of advertising and how much is actual content. I'd love to do a comparison of content between WD and other similarly priced magazines.

And what have they dried out on?...;)

A lot of them on the inside of their pots. Percentage wise it's gotta be near 50% :cries:

Deamon-forge
31-10-2008, 17:58
I just noticed that the scrips have gone up, never thought to look at the mag, damn........least iv got i think just over a year left on my scrips.... to get me to scrip again a free mini 1-2 months will havet o do it.

Thud
31-10-2008, 18:06
Personally I'd think that a WD at this price with good content and a lot less advertisement would in itself function as a great advertisement.

Why? A good monthly magazine with interesting and useful articles would make me stay interested in the hobby and buy more stuff. When I'm done with the semester I'll be spending about £180 on a new army, but apart from that I have spent less than £50 on GW stuff over the last two-three years, and all of it on codices. And that's despite having a very well paying job before going to uni.

Just my tuppence, anyway.

xowainx
31-10-2008, 19:38
I don't mind paying an extra 50p a month because, at the end of the day, it's 50p. It's not exactly the end of the world, there's probably more money than that down the back of most sofas and, on a good day, you can find that in dropped money on the street. It's really not a big deal. To the person who said "you can get a book for £2.50 more", last month you could have got a book for £3 more, is it really that much different? We all know people's finances are tighter as recession closes its cold grip around the world, but at the end of the day it's only 50p a month or £6 a year! I know people love to moan about price rises and sometimes it can be justified (Blood Knights going up by £10 a box is a BIG leap), but in this case it's virtually nothing.
We all know it's not as good as it used to be, and but it's been like that for ages. If you don't enjoy it, don't buy it. If you're not sure whether it'll have enough to interest you that month, flick through it in the shop or read in WH Smiths. No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy something you think is rubbish!

Crube
31-10-2008, 19:48
I'll still be renewing my sub.

I still enjoy it, relative to the price I pay for it. For the example of a couple of quid more I could get a novel... true, but I tend to finish them in 2 or 3 evenings. WD I still come back to most months, for a painting article or somesuch, even now.

So for me, although the increase in sub proce is annoying, it's of little consequence. On the flip side for me, it means that the value of the Ltd mini is a little higher :)

Oh, and Jedi - the new sub mini is pictured in the latest WD :p

Vic
31-10-2008, 19:53
Yes, but making WD anything else more than an advertisement costs money. To create real content, they would have to spend money on writers, editors etc. Recycling old material, or writing fluff pieces can be practically done by any staffer.

Shame too. Days of 'yore, WD used to be a "must read", not just for artwork but also the modeling articles, the fiction, and the game additions.

Jampire
31-10-2008, 20:08
The company that distributes WD raised their prices, hence, GW raised the price of WD.
GW does not make any money from WD sales, it exists as a service to the customer, so please no harping about GW trying to squeeze money from your souls.

Edit- I did not read the second page until now and I did not realize there are actually people defending WD, but still, please keep harping to a minimum :)

Wintermute
01-11-2008, 11:46
There's no way decreasing value can justify an increasing price.

Has it occurred to (any of) you the cost of producing and printing WD has increased and therefore this cost increase has to be passed on to the customer?

Its that simple.

Wintermute

The Guy
01-11-2008, 12:58
Has it occurred to (any of) you the cost of producing and printing WD has increased and therefore this cost increase has to be passed on to the customer?

Its that simple.

Wintermute

Well at least the use of such printing could go into something a little more useful. WD toilet paper for example.

scarletsquig
01-11-2008, 13:00
Looking at other magazines I buy, I do not understand why White Dwarf costs more to produce than other magazines. In terms of ink and paper.

My subscription to Computer Arts is now exactly the same price as the White Dwarf subscription (well, nearly.. it's £50).

Both have the same level of distribution. If CA is sold somewhere, chances are WD is sold there, too. Both niche interest magazines. Page count is similar, amount of advertising is similar... CA has a thick glossy cover and a CD with a load of software, royalty-free content and video tutorials.

Surely for the new price of White Dwarf, they should be able to add a disc with painting/modelling tutorials, trial rules, neat wallpapers, print-out .pdf terrain etc.?

I don't understand why other companies can do this for that price, but GW can't.

Yes, CA gets cash for it's adverts, but so does White Dwarf.. probably a lot more, since the entire magazine is effectively an advert. If it doesn't, White Dwarf shouldn't be produced, or should stop trying to make it's money from advertising and do it by providing an interesting read instead.

I don't have a clue how much money White Dwarf makes for GW from it's advertising, and I bet GW doesn't either because they never run coupon schemes to accurately judge how much money it's really bringing in. It's important to do research like that to figure out whether or not to lower the price to attract more purchases, which will then be repaid in sales of models.

It's all a bit irrelevant anyway, as long as the magazine remains poor... I'd happily pay £6 for a White Dwarf with a 200-300 level of quality to it.

tinfoil
01-11-2008, 13:37
Well, despite the fact that I usually avoid participating in "price increase threads," I really feel compelled to chime in here.
In the United States, the cover price has risen 33%, from $6 to $8.

For me, sorry, but that takes the product from the category of: splurge, to buy if an article or two looks worthwhile, to, nope.

Please understand, most GW pricing I don't have much of an issue with. Sure, models are expensive. But (speaking personally) I buy them anyway, figuring I'll get my money's worth over months of converting and painting (I'm a slow hobbyist!), and, literally, years' worth of gaming.

But White Dwarf...
The magazine has deteriorated badly in quality over the last several years. And these are economic hard times (affecting me and my family directly). $8 is too much.

Gimp
01-11-2008, 16:32
White Dwarf is already to exensive in South Africa it cost around 90 Rand which means that is around 9 US Dollars :/

The Phazer
01-11-2008, 17:55
Yes, but making WD anything else more than an advertisement costs money. To create real content, they would have to spend money on writers, editors etc. Recycling old material, or writing fluff pieces can be practically done by any staffer.

Shame too. Days of 'yore, WD used to be a "must read", not just for artwork but also the modeling articles, the fiction, and the game additions.

Well, as pointed out, taking more fan submissions and paying in GW product, while costing *some* money, costs very little and delivers a lot of stuff for that price...

I'll never understand the logic where GW stopped doing that.

Phazer

Duke Georgal
01-11-2008, 19:51
It's $8.00 now here in the USA.

That is more than any other hobby magazine.

I will buy no more.

Khornies & milk
01-11-2008, 20:23
It's now $11.95 here in OZ, so around US$8 as well.
My gaming group takes turns buying it so I only have to pay for 1 copy a year so it's no great deal for me.

But yea...pretty damn dear, even for a glossy magazine.

Son of the Lion
01-11-2008, 22:10

Its that simple.

Wintermute

Yes, it has. But I don't think many people are puzzled about the why as they are the how. i.e.how GW think this is an acceptable move?

As I said earlier in the thread, the last few years has seen an increasingly unbalanced ratio of adverts to actual content in WD, to the point that many people feel GW has a bit of cheek charging niche market magazine prices for what has become a glorified and unsubtle marketing pamphlet. Regardless of the financial logic involved, putting the price up to cover the increased cost of what is effectively an advertising overhead is taking the ****.

It's that simple.

Warboss Antoni
02-11-2008, 00:28
I doub the cost has rise in 3 dollars ( 5 to 8 ) in the past couple of years, considering there is usually no middle man and GW basically sells an advert directly.

Lord Martel
02-11-2008, 01:55

That is more than any other hobby magazine.

I will buy no more.

Yep, got that little surprise too when I checked out Friday at my LGS. I told them the same thing. I will not buy this mag again.

I think White Dwarf costs more than Playboy now. :wtf: Thats just wrong.

There should be a new man law. No magazine for toy soldiers can cost more than one with good looking naked chicks. :D

If GW wanted to make some money and maybe pass some savings on to us they could advertise for non industry products.

Coke a Cola, Pepsi, M&M’s and the like don’t compete with GW and would pay good money to reach that demographic.

Templar Ben
05-11-2008, 09:05

''I went into my local GW the other day and tried to just browse around...the GW's blueshirt kept following me around pointing out good items here and there and how he owns half the models in the shop....we get to the till after a liitle while and I ask how much for the WD...he says Fo fitty.............Now it was about this time I noticed it was no GW blueshirt...but the god damn loch ness moster....I said...Hey god damn loch ness monster! I ain't giving you no Fo-fitty, Get your own goddamn money!''

;)

I gave him a dollar.

Yep, got that little surprise too when I checked out Friday at my LGS. I told them the same thing. I will not buy this mag again.

I think White Dwarf costs more than Playboy now. :wtf: Thats just wrong.

There should be a new man law. No magazine for toy soldiers can cost more than one with good looking naked chicks. :D

If GW wanted to make some money and maybe pass some savings on to us they could advertise for non industry products.

Coke a Cola, Pepsi, M&Mís and the like donít compete with GW and would pay good money to reach that demographic.

That was actually the same view I had. Naturally I read Playboy just for the articles though.

daemonkin
05-11-2008, 09:17
That was actually the same view I had. Naturally I read Playboy just for the articles though.

Probably true also that Playboy has more articles than a WD these days..

D.

snurl
05-11-2008, 09:41
Maybe WD should start including a centerfold?

Coasty
05-11-2008, 09:52

Articles? Is that what the boring, non-girly bits are?

Mucho
05-11-2008, 11:17
Articles? Is that what the boring, non-girly bits are?

Agreed, I want more miniature articles in my playboy! Let's get that peptition started.:D

Mojaco
05-11-2008, 11:41
It's been 7 euros 50 for ages now. That's 6 pounds. I don't think they'll be stupid enough to raise it again here. Most people I know feel like we are being overcharged big time compared to pretty much every other country in the world. The recent global price raise for instance was covered in mainland europe by the higher value of the euro (and then some), but still they proceeded. Not fair in the slightest.

Lord Malorne
05-11-2008, 11:56
£6!!! bloody hell!

I thought Fo-fitty was bad...how many do they sell in europe noe me wonders.

Seriously though the price for me is a secondary concern, my angst is and always will be (barring another price rise) aimed at the pitiful content...heck they could fill a mag with fan content....*cough* Firebase *cough*....so fan submissions do work...

I miss them aswell.

Worst of all is the bloody studio armies in all the WD's and army books...yes they are painted 'super' but I like seeing someones army, not an exhibition model.

Raellos
05-11-2008, 13:46
I compare the cost of WD to the cost of PC Powerplay. WD comes out bruised and bloody.

blongbling
05-11-2008, 14:41
well we know that GW using fan content for stuff doesnt work as none buys them....Citadel Journal anyone

The Orange
05-11-2008, 17:55

That's F'in outrageous :mad:. I'm glad my subscription is done, and won't be renewing. Raising the prices in a failing economy? Their damn idiots. WD has become nothing more then an advertising tool, whats the point if they price it so that less people buy it?

cailus
05-11-2008, 21:39
I actually brought a White Dwarf for the first time in years while I was at the airport.

I noticed the price but thought it was simply airport prices. Turns out it is an increase.

I also brought a Terrorizer magazine for roughly the same price.

Now a comparison between the two:
1. Content: Terrorizer had a lot more content. Smaller fonts and less white space.
2. Pages: Terrorizer is slightly bigger.
3. CD: The Terrorizer comes with a CD. In fact the last issue had 2 CD's.
4. Reading time: It took me about 20 minutes to read the White Dwarf. It took several hours for me to finish the Terrorizer.
5. Writing styles - the Terrorizer articles are well written for a magazine. The authors convey a sense of excitement, humour, anger, etc as well as being informative. I get excited by even reading about bands that I don't like. The White Dwarf on the other hand has a very poor writing style. It reads like a catalogue. The sad thing is that White Dwarf isn't all that informative either.

If you look at the costs behind each magazine, then the Terrorizer's costs are infinitely more - CD manufacturing costs, large cadre of journalists, travel costs etc. True they're offset to some degree by advertising.

So why are we paying roughly the same price for these two magazines when one clearly offers more value?

Throwing in a 3rd magazine, Air Forces Monthly (AFM), and the White Dwarf is a big loser again. AFM is smaller in terms of pages but it's quite a good read and you'll need a couple of hours to get through all the articles.

Basically, I will not buy another White Dwarf. I will happily fork out money for Terrorizer and Air Forces Monthly.

dancingmonkey
06-11-2008, 09:32
If you look at the costs behind each magazine, then the Terrorizer's costs are infinitely more - CD manufacturing costs, large cadre of journalists, travel costs etc. True they're offset to some degree by advertising.

I agree with what you are saying, but I thought you might like to know Terrorizer is asmall tem of about 6 people working out of a weird studio up near old street in London. Most of their stuff is done through Freelancing. (I'm sort of trying to get some work with them). I guess that's how they keep costs down.

Incidently, someone was asking about a page count comparison between the Dwarf and another mag, let me see if I can find mine from my post grad...

(Goes to rummage through folders)...

OK, White Dwarf vs No Quarter...

WD

Adverts: 10 pages
Articles: 7 articles/70 pages
New Releases: 30 pages
Catalogue pages: 6 pages (all of it :evilgrin:)
Frontline/news: 14 pages
Next issue: 1 page
Editorial: 1 page

Total = 132 pages = 4 others = 136 pages.

NQM

Adverts: 5 pages
Articles: 12 articles/76 pages
New releases 3 pages
Catalogue: 1 page
News: 3 pages
Next issue: 1 page
Editorial: 2 pages
Letters: 1 page
Pictures/other: 4 pages

Total: 96 pages.

So there we go. NQM is shorter, costs less £3.50-4.00 depending on where you get it. But actually has more content and less wastage than WD. It has top level painting guides, excellent scenery, fan subs and all kinds of goodness. But I guess I am biased these days. I have not bought WD for two months now, it hurts not to pick it up as I've been reading since 188, but it really isn't worth my time anymore. Between the net and other mags, I get all I need. Maybe that is GW's point, we don't need WD as we are so called "vets" but it would be nice if they could provide something else. Journal was a good read but presented pretty badly as a cheap fanzine for example. Maybe something with production values and colour?

GodofWarTx
08-11-2008, 09:39

;)

aaaand sig'd for awesomeness. :)

I have talked with lots of players new and old around here, and there are two things happening:

1) vets get mad seeing zero content compared to some of the older WD's with Index articles galore
2) New players struggling to figure out just why exactly they are supposed to pay $9 for a magazine that doesnt offer rules

JLBeady
24-11-2008, 15:04
Sorry for the Thread necromancy, but I figured it was better than starting a new thread.

Stopped in my local GW this weekend. The Store was buzzing and they had all of their "deals" out.

One of the things I was being hounded about was a subscription to WD. I said, I wasn't very interested especially given the recent price increase to $8 US. The Red Shirt then told me WD was getting ready to go up again after December to $8.50 apparently due to a price increase being passed along by their distribuator and that I should get a subscription now.

Lord Damocles
24-11-2008, 16:37
The Red Shirt then told me WD was getting ready to go up again after December to $8.50
Pfffft!
-wipes tea of laptop screen-

I *really* hope that this was just a ham-fisted attempt by the GW staffer to sell you a subscription, and isn't actually correct :eek:
If it is correct, then GW have totally lost the plot!

Galdur Hrafnsson
24-11-2008, 16:48
Wow, I just moved to Dubai and it's difficult to get White Dwarf here. I haven't missed an issue since 201 and was considering getting a subscription sent to my UK home so I didn't miss out. But paying even more now for a dozen magazines I'll flick through twice (if that) and never read again?

I don't think I'm going to bother.