4 Dragon Ogres with great weapons
25 Mauraders with light armor, shields and full command
25 Mauraders with light armor, shields, and full command
5 Horsemen
5 Horsemen

What do you think, on a scale of 0 to 2 how "cheesy" is it

Makarion
31-10-2008, 13:33
Total un-cheese. Personally, I think it's a nice enough list, if not very competitive. With zero magic defence and a rather severe lack of ranged combat, your movement phase is all you have to determine when and where to fight. I don't think you're quite fast enough for a pure melee list.

OldMaster
31-10-2008, 14:02
@ Makarion
I'd like you to name an army which specializes in combat and normally is faster than this list!

Kholec lists will do well I have the feeling. Looks like a fun list to me.

Artemis360
31-10-2008, 16:38
Anvil of Doom and organ gun could shut you down pretty fast... Why not take a bunch of hounds as screens?? For the price of 1 horsemen and marauder unit you could have a bucket load of them.

FunkyRatDemon
31-10-2008, 17:47
Shaggoths need GW's
Regular Marauders need MoS
Give your Horsemen the MoK + Flails
Agreed on more hounds
I feel you only need 4 Dragon Ogres, too expensive and you need more troops on the table

vinny t
31-10-2008, 18:06
I wanted to keep the Mauraders undivided because they are supposed to worship shaggoths. I like the shaggoths having 7 S6 attacks, I think 6 S is good enough. Yeah, hounds might be good but the shaggoths are large targets so they wouldn't do very much to screen them. I like the 4 wound dragon ogres, they are good enough in combat and are really hard to kill.
Do you think the mauraders are worth it, or should I take only one unit of them.
And do you think I should take units of 3 Dragon Ogres and spend the rest on.....I don't know, something else?

Lord Malorne
31-10-2008, 18:14
Could always squeeze in a sorceror as a 'high priest' or some other such draconic worshipper head honcho.

blackjack
31-10-2008, 19:44
Agreed, toss in at least a level 1 mage scroll caddy, call him a priest of Shag.

Give him an osten powers outfit and bad teeth...

Shagarific baby.....

vinny t
31-10-2008, 21:44
Well I'm afraid people will call that "cheezy" so I don't reallly want to add a sorceror although I may have to. Would be fun to model though.

blackjack
31-10-2008, 21:53
One Sorc Cheesy? I don't think so.

g0ddy
31-10-2008, 22:08
Just pray you fight lizardmen skink priest spam lists ? :p

MoK on Marauder horsemen while sounds good on paper.. is a waste for the price of two units with mark of khorne.. you could 'almost' have a 3 units unmarked.

IMHO list looks great.

~ zilla

vinny t
31-10-2008, 22:13
Ok, I'll add a Sorceror
This is my NEW army...

Kolec Suneater
Shaggoth with 2 HWs
Shaggoth with 2 HWs
Sorceror on Chaos Steed with 2 Dispel Scrolls and Bloodcurdling roar
25 Mauraders with light armor, shields, and full command
5 Horsemen
5 Horsemen

I'm trying not to mark my units because they worship Shaggoths, not the puny chaos gods, lol.

Makarion
01-11-2008, 01:50
@ Makarion
I'd like you to name an army which specializes in combat and normally is faster than this list!

Kholec lists will do well I have the feeling. Looks like a fun list to me.

High Elf Dragon Princes, Dragon & chariots
Bretonnians with a unit of pegasi
VC Strigoi flying circus
TK chariot army
and so forth

Basically, you'll need a better answer to marchblockers, and without flyers, magic or shooting, that means you need more fast cav and hounds (as someone else pointed out).

Mind you, I think yours would be pretty good fun to fight against, but I'd not consider it cheese by as long stretch.

vinny t
01-11-2008, 14:48
I will try to kill marchblockers by "lightninging" them with Kolec. Besides, the army has a (roughly) 7 inch move even being marchblocked so it is fairly fast. I think my Horsemen and my Soreror's Roar and my lightning will kill most marchblockers fairly fast especially if they are out of their general's leadership range (panic). And I will try to spread out my units so it is harder to marchblock. kinda like this.....

SS dodododo KK mmmms SS dodododo

o0-NattyMcFatty-0o
01-11-2008, 22:12
I think it is a nice themed list. personally I wouldn't take blood curdling roar ( or any mutations at all) IMO they R all terrible. I think you will struggle in a lot of games, but if you enjoy painting it would be a very nice ARMY and would be interesting to play against. If u finish this list, Why not try a Throgg list?

Kalec
02-11-2008, 13:48
I would drop the regular shaggoths for more dragon ogres and horsemen. Kholek is the big guy, he is the one being worshiped, not his little cousins. Shaggoths just don't compare to dragon ogres this time around.

Makarion
02-11-2008, 14:41
Consider deploying a unit of horsemen behind your lines, or flyers will really cause you issues. I don't think you can afford to have Kolec hang out in the rearguard to deal with it.

squalie
02-11-2008, 16:50
I'm going to give you a different kind of advice as it seems the only advice people give is how to win. Will you have fun with this list? Would your friends have fun against it in a friendly game? Then play it. To me it looks like fun.

vinny t
02-11-2008, 17:23
I might get rid of Roar so I can give my horsemen axes for picking off ranks. The using of the shaggoths is mostly for intimidation as I plunk 3 huge monsters on the table. I also think it makes more since if Kolec travels with his "retainers". I genrally have a problem with painting as I am a pretty mediocre painter and am much more of a gamer. I may start up a project log to keep me motivated.....

That is a great tactic for the horsemen because they can catch up with my lines fairly fast after desposing any pesky flyers.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

Kalec
02-11-2008, 17:40
Anyone with a brain will recognize that dragon ogres are much deadlier then a shaggoth. The only advantage of the shaggoth is that it causes terror, which just isn't what it used to be.

The Red Scourge
02-11-2008, 18:21
I'll join the quoir and say that Shaggoths unfortunately aren't that great compared to other monsters.

Unlike hydras they can't break units on their own, unlike treemen they can't hold units on their own, and they're nowhere near the durability of a steam tank.

What they can do is crack open armor, and they are fast and maneuverable enough to hit the flanks.

They will require some support to take out enemy artillery fast. Bolt throwers and cannons will have a fantastic chance to earn back their points, when you field a shaggoth, so terrain blocking LOS will be your friend.