PDA

View Full Version : Multi-attack Cavalry

BigbyWolf
31-10-2008, 14:55
After having a lot of fun and success using a Savage Orc Boar army I'm tempted to try a similar thing with another race. Does anyone have any suggestions for what can be taken? I was hoping for basic stats, points cost and what slot they take up, and if they're any good...

Any advice would be much appriciated!

Malorian
31-10-2008, 14:58
Well you can't get stats or points on the forum, but basically you are looking at grail knights, chaos knights, saurus cav, and blood knights.

I don't know what chaos knights are, saurus cav are special, and the other two are rare. Chaos knights and saurus cav are also plastic and WAY cheaper (money-wise).

If you take a special character saurus cav can even be core ;)

ajay29
31-10-2008, 15:12
@ Malorian - Chaos Knights are special; just filling in the gaps :p

Chaos knights are loking really really strong at the moment, especially with certain mark and banner combinations;
e.g. -1 to hit them with shooting, -1 WS to any attacking unit, and a frenzy that can't be lost (MoNurgle with Banner of Rage), or even a 4+ ward against mundane ranged attacks (MoTzeentch with Blasted Standard)

Max out them as specials, use Marauder cavalry and hounds as core, whatever takes your fancy for rare and characters and you're looking at one of the best WoC army set-ups!

OldMaster
31-10-2008, 19:04
And Chaos Knights are amazing models, too.

Aren't Dragon Princes A2, too? Probably the cheesiest choice, as they get the best armour ever for next to free.

Malorian
31-10-2008, 19:49
Oh ya, dragon princes too. (Man there are a lot of elite cav out there...) Sine HE gets more special slots you could get quite a bit of them.

g0ddy
31-10-2008, 20:34
New lizardmen are on the horizon.. and I expect saurus cav to change in some way so.. if youre leaning towards them you might want to wait a few months.

Of the above listed... grail knights are dragon princes are the fastest... chaos knights are the hardest to kill... blood knights are the most killy (and also the most expensive) followed closely by Khorne Chaos Knights. I am not sure if you can have more than 1 unit of grail knights?

~ zilla

devilchild
01-11-2008, 10:00
Grail knights are a 0-1 rare choice, however if you take the special character the fey enchantress she can take a unit of up to 8 grail knight defenders. So it is possible to get two units of grail knights, you just have to include one very expensive special character

BigbyWolf
01-11-2008, 19:04
The impression I've got so far is that Chaos Knights might be a popular choice...which is useful as I already have a Chaos Army (which occaisionally has a unit of 10 either chosen or Khorne knights in it, I may look in to that. Slightly off topic, but in the new book are you able to take more than one character on a flying mount?

With regards to the new Lizardmen, when are we expecting them? The new dino options also sound quite good.

I did used to have a Brettonian army, but the only thing that tempted me from the book was Questing Knights...I had three units of them, a character with the (questing?) virtue, grail reliquery and pilgrims as a kinda roving chapel, and a few other bits...now that, like the Savage Orc Boar army, was a pricey army to put together, which is turning me off the idea of using Blood Knights or Dragon Princes.

Neknoh
01-11-2008, 19:16
Marauder Horsemen can now be Frenzied with Khorne and can be quite heavely armoured, allowing you to gather a list of horsemen, knights, dragon ogres and shaggoths.

You can have "mainline hitty units" being units of Horsemen with Lightarmour, Shields, full Command, Mark of Khorne and either Spears or Shields. You will then have your typical 5 Horsemen with Musician and Flails (and now Mark of Slaanesh) as your flanking units. Add in a bunch of Warhounds and your core is sorted.

For Special, you can then pick up a unit of Frenzied Nurgle Knights for hitty goodness. Use one more Special choise on Knights, after which you go for Dragon Ogres. The Rare Choises are then left to Shaggoths.

BigbyWolf
02-11-2008, 14:47
Had a quick think about it and I like the idea of 2 units of Knights, exalted champ, caddy and troll king, allowing me to take 2/3 units of trolls as core, and filling the rest with various units of marauder horsemen...I think it'd be quite fun to use with the trolls developing various gifts as they regenerate wounds...any thoughts?

Kalec
02-11-2008, 22:22
Make sure that exalted champ is your general and your BSB if you are going to take trolls. They are too expensive for you to afford any of them breaking, and they have trouble beating ranked infantry on their own.

Djekar
03-11-2008, 06:31
I have to throw in my recommendation for Chaos Knights with the Mark of Khorne. Sure they do a lot of hiding in most of my battles (at least until they get a clear shot at something good to eat), but when they get to where they are going, they know how to throw a party - complete with dismembered enemies and pole dances.

Frankly
03-11-2008, 09:02
I have to throw in my recommendation for Chaos Knights with the Mark of Khorne. Sure they do a lot of hiding in most of my battles ....

But thats where they should be imho. To many times I see khorne units dranged out of position due to a lack of support.

Until you open up a target charge, the best up grade you can is alot of war hounds for that khorne unit.

Djekar
04-11-2008, 05:45
But thats where they should be imho.
I agree with you 100%, it just seems really unfluffy to me. Granted I still hide those raving loonies in every battle they're in until I'm ready to send them after something, but it kind of makes me feel bad for them to use them that way. Just not bad enough to waste so many points.