PDA

View Full Version : My First WHFB Army (O&G 2250)

MrBill2u
31-10-2008, 17:35
I am brand new to WHFB. I plan on heading out to buy some models this weekend and I would like to have a 2250 army in mind before I head out and start dropping cash. If this list seems effective, I will likely buy a watered down version of it and build a 750-1K point variant of it to start with. The basic idea of this one is 3 decent "damage taking" blocks of orcs with trolls and boar boyz filling the gaps using spider riders to screen. The characters will start off in the orc blocks, but have the option of coming out and acting as solo hammers or joining the boar boyz for some extra punch. Squig hoppers and spider riders on the flanks for some chaos (the concept, not the army) out there and the option to head for the warmachines if I need to. Criticism welcome!!

Rare

120: 3 Trolls

Special

148: 5 Orc Boar Boyz, full command
150: 10 Squig Hoppers

Characters

177: Black Orc Warboss, heavy armor, shield, riding boar
132: Black Orc Big Boss, heavy armor, shield, bsb, riding boar
107: Black Orc Big Boss, heavy armor, shield, riding boar
100: Night Goblin Shaman, staff of sneaky stealin

Core

198: 28 Orc Boyz, shield, full command
76: 5 Forest Goblin spider riders, bows, musician

MrBill2u
31-10-2008, 18:39
BTW, I am not sold completely on greenskins. I liked the idea of cheap goblins for big blocks of damage sponginess, but when I do the math it seems like orc boyz are a better deal. The new chaos models seem drab to me, so the "play the latest updated list" doesn't work for me. Is O&G competitive? Can they run a mostly melee list with minimal magic and no shootiness, or do they really need the warmachines to be competitive? I played around with an 8 chukka, 2 doomdiver, 3 arrer boyz with goblin tarpit list... but it seemed to me that it would make for pretty boring play.

Turn 1: I shoot you!!
Turn 2: I shoot you again!!
Turn 3: I'm still shooting!!
etc..

happy_doctor
31-10-2008, 21:12
Hello and welcome to Warseer! (and Warhammer Fantasy as well)

Although I'm not an O&G player, the list you posted seems nice. I'll give you some general tips, though:
-The consensus around boar boyz seems to be that they aren't as hitty as their savage counterparts. Still, frenzy has its drawbacks and you would be better off without having your units led by the nose. What I'd is drop the standard bearers on both units (they give away 100 points to the enemy should they get caught) and bolster them to 6-strong.

-Squig hoppers are alright, but 10 each seems a bit too much. I think that 8-stong is more than enough and will save you some points.

-For the sake of variety, I'd swap a couple of spider rider regiments for their wolf riding counterparts. They are faster and you won't miss the spider's abilities...

-Give your BSB Mork's Spirit totem for some added magic protection

That's all I can think of!

MrBill2u
31-10-2008, 21:40
Thanks!!

I think I am going to start working on my full artillery list. After seeing how many units I could get on the field without spending so many points on specials and rares a big, evil smirk involuntarily ran across my face. Many of the units cross over to this list, and I will probably be painting until Christmas just to get the boyz ready.

I think the shopping cart tonight will have 2 boxes Orc Boyz, 1 Spider Riders and 1 wolves. Every time I build a new list it always has 3-4 small fast cav units and at least 80 Orc Boyz with shields.

skuller
31-10-2008, 23:44
I am brand new to WHFB. I plan on heading out to buy some models this weekend and I would like to have a 2250 army in mind before I head out and start dropping cash. If this list seems effective, I will likely buy a watered down version of it and build a 750-1K point variant of it to start with. The basic idea of this one is 3 decent "damage taking" blocks of orcs with trolls and boar boyz filling the gaps using spider riders to screen. The characters will start off in the orc blocks, but have the option of coming out and acting as solo hammers or joining the boar boyz for some extra punch. Squig hoppers and spider riders on the flanks for some chaos (the concept, not the army) out there and the option to head for the warmachines if I need to. Criticism welcome!!

Rare

Special

Characters

177: Black Orc Warboss, heavy armor, shield, riding boar
132: Black Orc Big Boss, heavy armor, shield, bsb, riding boar
107: Black Orc Big Boss, heavy armor, shield, riding boar
100: Night Goblin Shaman, staff of sneaky stealin

Core

I recommend that u swap at leat a unit of boar boys for black ones and try to mek it 20-25 strong that way ur bsb and lord can stay inside it and dont have to kill d6 boar boyz if you roll a 1 on the animosity table
spear chukkas and boar chariots are ur friends use them.
the bsb with the banner of mork totem in a big unit is a great defense for antimagic.
Your heroes need something to be able to kill enemy heroes collar of zorga will make those damned greater deamons, treeman and giant monster less effective. Always wear it.
the best basha is a steal for 15 pts that boost 3 of ur abilities, normally i like the gnashas, the boots and/or the spiteful shield in ur combat hero.
Even if troll are good figther theyre less reliable either switch them to a giant or doom divers with all the amounts of orcs that u have u may think in investing in a level 2 wizard so when all ur units waaagh and get into combat u will have enouhg dice to cast both spell
Maybe swap the other blorc for another shaman that act as a caddy depending on how heavy magic ur enviroments run (mine is too common for the vc and deamons to have around 8-10 casting dice )
keep up the 3 units of boys theyre good brawlers and will be able to take some punishment
maybe add a unit of 20-30 night gobbos with netters and 2 fanatics to make ur opponents think about charging u