PDA

View Full Version : DE Khainite Magical defence

gortexgunnerson
01-11-2008, 11:14
Hi

I am looking to do a 1500 dark elf army based around a Khainite theme for a tournment. So I have units of Witch elves, executioners, hags, assasins and a cauldron of blood.

But where I'm really struggling is magic defence, as hags only have access to gifts of khaine which have no magical defence items. I dont want to inlcude a sorcessoress as doesnt fit in the theme but I cant really take a tournment army with 2 dispel dice and where non of the troops can take even base level spells.

So my question is has anyone any got any good tactics. At the mo I.m thinking of swapping a hag for a master with ring of Hotek, but means have a long way to go before their wizards are in the bubble.

TheDarkDaff
01-11-2008, 12:30
You will run into the problem of the Master not being able to join any of the Khainite Units in your army. Khainite at less than 2000 points with Helbron is hard to pull off due to the core choices you need.

theunwantedbeing
01-11-2008, 12:38
I know....do this really bizarre tactic of not bothering with magical defence.
It works as you get loads of points extra for troops so have more men to win with.

At 1.5k your not going to encounter a particularly large amount of magic. And if you are, the enemy army will be tiny and you'll run right over it with ease unless they are unfathomably lucky with their casting. Something even the best magical defence won't prevent from happening anyway.

2 units of witch elves.(one big, one small)
1 unit of executionairs.
2 units of spearmen.
2 units of crossbowmen.
Hag on couldren, BsB (to follow the army around)
Hag general in the bigger unit of witch elves.

Perfectly reasonable list.
Ditch some crossbowmen for a bolt thrower is you want.

Grimmeth
01-11-2008, 13:28
What are you planning on taking as Troops in this army? Everything listed comes straight out of the Special Allowance?
Otherwise I'd consider a couple of units of Corsairs, one of them could have the master in with Seal of Ghrond or Ring of Hotek. Although, as TheUnwantedBeing correctly said, chances are you're not going to hit anything too magic heavy in sub 2000pts anyway, so could just ignore the limited magical capability of your enemy?
Or Assassinate it...

gortexgunnerson
01-11-2008, 19:14
What are you planning on taking as Troops in this army? Everything listed comes straight out of the Special Allowance?
Otherwise I'd consider a couple of units of Corsairs, one of them could have the master in with Seal of Ghrond or Ring of Hotek. Although, as TheUnwantedBeing correctly said, chances are you're not going to hit anything too magic heavy in sub 2000pts anyway, so could just ignore the limited magical capability of your enemy?
Or Assassinate it...

The army (roughly) at the mo (need rethink as hadnt realised the master couldnt join the Khainite units):

2 hags, one with cauldron Rune sof Kahine for +D3 A

Master, Ring of Hotek

Assasin +D3 attakcs, killer blow

2 * 14 Witchelves full coms

12 Executioners

2 * 10 repeater crossbows

6 Harpies

Hydra

Yes I am thinking of ignoring magical defence, but just the lack of any units that can take damage and still be effective is very limited in this army. I am hoping that magic will be concentrated on the hydra and executions and then the witch elves will make it through and with the 7 wide frontage and hags have a big combat effect.

Hydra and harpies are to create diversions and also keep the witch elves frenzy in line but limit what they can charge!

Draconian77
01-11-2008, 19:57
Lord
Dreadlord, Dark Steed, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Deathpiercer, Pendant of Khaeleth, Armour of Eternal Servitude

Heroes
Master, Army Battle Standard Bearer, Great Weapon, Ring of Hotek, Armour of Darkness

Master, Dark Pegasus, Lance, Shield, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak

Master, Dark Pegasus, Lance, Shield, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak

Core
20 Dark Elf Warriors, Full Command, Shields
+ Assassin, Additional Hand Weapon, Touch of Death

20 Dark Elf Warriors, Full Command, Shields
+ Assassin, Additional Hand Weapon, Touch of Death

10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen
10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen

Special
5 Shades, Additional Hand Weapon
5 Shades, Additional Hand Weapon
Cold One Chariot
Cold One Chariot

Rare
War Hydra
War Hydra

At 2k I'm running this. If your fast and hard hitting enough then enemy mages don't get much time to cast! This list gets much better at 2250.

The Ring of Hotek is definately worth taking. Other than that at under 1500pts I wouldn't worry too much. Mages are pricey.

Norngahl
02-11-2008, 13:20
Happy, birthday, I guess he's not really intersted in your list because it's not a Khainite list.

Under 2000 points.. no way in my opinion. You haven`t got enough khainite units to get the flair, and you don't have the points for a hart hitting unit against heavy cav or infantery.

At 2000 points go for Hellebron, A bsb master with Pendant and soulrender, heavy armor, cloak, shield, 17 BGs with banner of hag graef and ring of hotek., cauldron, which elves and 2 small executioners.

I know it`s not pure khainite, but it offers you magical protection, a stubborn army with BsB, and at least a hart hitting unit that doesn`t strike last like the executioners. If you want a pure khanite army, then take hellebron, double cauldron, BSB hag queen with hag graef banner, and big blocks of witch elves... hellebron will kill everything. Everything.

the only problem is that you suffer of magic. Personally i would go with a normal dark elv army and put a cauldron and 2 khainite units in it. I guesse I'd take executioners, because witch elves are fragile and just kill light targets. I guess a Cosair unit with frenzy banner is quite more effective.

But it ends up to you. Write a list