PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings chariot army?

Canadian_Khan
01-11-2008, 14:56
Well, the thread says it all...

Viable or not?

4 regiments of 4 chariots in a 2000pts army... is it too many? Maybe even 5X4...

With Light Cavalry for support... and big packs of skellies... tomb scorpions, swarms ( I love the "it came from below" idea ) and carrions.

I'm new with tomb kings, so any comment on that would be appreciated

Edit: Made the thread clearer.

theunwantedbeing
01-11-2008, 14:59
Perfectly viable.
The size of the units really depends on how wide your opponents units are.
You can get 4 chariots in base contact with a 100mm wide enemy, which is 5 20mm bases.
5 chariots needs your opponent to be 6 wide if they're on 25mm bases (fine for knights and such) but they need to be 8 wide if they have 20mm bases...which is unlikely.

4 is a decent limit to stick at.
Sounds like a good idea for an army.

Come to think of it
Tomb Kings Chariots are pretty aweful in 8th ed.

D3 impact hits is not a lot of damage
Stepup negates the useful advantage impact hits had last edition
Fight in ranks just exposes the weakness of a large base t4 5+ save model with ws2
Throw in stepup to largely guarantee your not going to break the enemy

A unit of 10+ flanking can disrupt, but the enemy will still be steadfast.
Sadly they don't get the monstrous ranks rule either,so you need that full 10 models to get a rank, rather than a more useful 3.

I prefer ushabti despite them being slower (and not core).
Simply as they hit that much harder and actually allow for winning combats and can really take the fight to enemies that your chariot's just can't go near (knights or hoardes).

march10k
01-11-2008, 15:09
It would probably work. If you do it, either give all of your liche priests horses (one can have the cloak of the dunes), or take settra (and don't have priests)...I'd recommend against having any static target for the enemy to maneuver against, that'd just be free VP, since the bulk of the army would potentially be unable to support that static unit. So, chariots, scorpions, carrion, swarms...not much else. The light cav sucks, I'd stay away.

Skywave
01-11-2008, 15:49
You could get as much as 20 Chariots in 2k points, maybe more but you'd be sacrificing other unit like Scorpions and cavalry.

In this kind of army, if you want an all out fast attack force, don't take anything on foot, unless you want a mix with a small defensive group with SSC and skellies.

Otherwise, go with lots of Chariots obviously, some Light Horsemen too, I wouldn't leave home with some of these! Heavy Horsemen if you want to get some US, they're as good (or bad) as normal skellies, but faster; 2 attacks each (one str4 on charge) and US 2 each with 4+ save. You can run them in the front, tying up bigger unit, and flank with Chariots after. Also, a King and Prince on chariot would be needed, and as said previously, Lich need horse, or one of them the cloak. Hide the mounted one in a Light Horsemen unit. Scorpions are a must as always :)

march10k
02-11-2008, 08:32
Hmmm...yeah, light horsemen do have one use...as a place to bury a priest for that "look out sir" save. So they're only almost completely useless.

Danger Rat
02-11-2008, 08:42
Its viable im taiking a chariot based army to the 3rd gt heat in 2 weeks.

It has
Tomb king on chariot
Tomb prince on chariot
liche priest on steed
liche priest with cloak of the dunes

4 units of 4 chariots
1 unit of light horse
3 carrion
3 tomb scorpions

In my 4 warm up games ive won 1 drawn 2 and lost 1 so hopefully it will work!

w3rm
02-11-2008, 15:08
Sure but make sure your chariots are supported. Chariots are really olnly good on the charge but with units of chariots that might be a differnet story.

adreal
03-11-2008, 08:28
I run a chariot strong list (3 units of 3 with a king on chariot of fire, 2x10 archers, casket of couls, SSC, horse liche and cloak liche, scorpian) and it does alright. I'm not really a fan of it comes from below, so I usually just run it as protection for my shootybase.

Just pick your targets well, because as awesome as light chariots are (and they are awesome) they can and will bounce off harder units, so be careful

Mad Makz
04-11-2008, 04:37
In chariot heavy TK lists I'm a fan of at least one unit of 5 chariots. Nigh on impossible to fully nullify due to having 15 wounds (which you can raise back into), likelier to survive extended combat (vital for TK), less susceptible to shooting (and thus more benefitted by raising), more likely to outnumber an enemy after the charge (thus break with fear causing) and can provide look out sir for a TK in a chariot, meaning you don't have to hide him from cannon's first turn, which means you get to deploy where you want rather than in reaction to your opponents artillery.

As they move like fast cavalry you don't have to worry about them being 5 wide, just deploy them 3 wide or 4 wide or whatever works and IF you look like you are going to be able to maximize frontage with 5 you can reform as you move then charge in the movement phase if you want and get your magic phase charge on (generally going to be the case anyway as you want to be using your magic phase charge to get the advantage often.

Even if you only get 4 into contact, the extra 40 points for the 3 wounds at 4 toughness and 3 extra unit strength is well worth it in the context of the unit, whereas the jump from a unit of 4 (whose purpose is just to flank) down to 3 is less of a big deal. Rather than 4 units of 4, a unit of 5, two units of 4 and a unit of 3 seems to me to be more focussed with a similiar amount of flexibility.

ushabti1
22-09-2010, 02:29
Tomb chariot armies are great in 8th because of the new horde special rule people that diced to take advantage of that rule are doom to heaps of D3 S4 impact hits. It is a good idea to take 3 units of 3 chariots and having a tomb king and 2 princes and add one to each of those units. Then support your army with constructs and flyers e.g take one of every special and rare choice apart from tomb guard and screaming skull catapults.

Chris_
22-09-2010, 02:40
You know this topic is 2 years old right? Anyway Chariots can't do much in 8th. The thing you mentioned is a HUGE point sink that will never pay itself back. Chariots are to fragile to hit a full ranked opponent head on, that thanks to step-up and support attacks. T4 with AS 5+ is really quite weak, they will crumble very fast if they don't break the unit in the first round.

A unit of 3 Chariots is however still quite viable, can take out small and fast harrier units or warmachines. Also in the last rounds they can mop up a weakened unit to get the VP.

smithers
22-09-2010, 04:15
Yeah... zero, one, or possibly two units of basic chariots seems the way to go in 8th.
I wouldn't want to field any more unless I was playing Settra (which I've never tried, and which is impossible at 2K pts)

Unfortunately I have 10 of the suckers in my collection cause I thought they were the shiznit in 7th...

Duke Georgal
22-09-2010, 10:09
Or take settra.

I thought Settra was not allowed until armies reached 3,000 points in size.

Chiron
22-09-2010, 12:12
I thought Settra was not allowed until armies reached 3,000 points in size.

He's 625 points and in previous editions took up 2 Lord slots, other than that there were no limitations. Now Lord slots have been removed he can be fielded at less than 3000 points.

Chris_
22-09-2010, 12:17
He's 625 points and in previous editions took up 2 Lord slots, other than that there were no limitations. Now Lord slots have been removed he can be fielded at less than 3000 points.At 2500+ points to be exact.

Chiron
22-09-2010, 12:21
At 2500+ points to be exact.

Well if you want to be that anal about it yes

Rajhald
22-09-2010, 17:12
If by viable, you mean can you field it then yes. Will it be competitive, not currently. Would it be fun to play, I think most definitely yes.

I was hoping TK would be at least somewhat viable in 8th because that was going to be my next army, as it stands I'm most likely going to wait for their new book (which I'm hoping in middle of 11'. I think the army is a blast, but don't want to play them the way I think they need to be played right now to do well (I play quite a few tournaments). However the winner of Wasteland Wars at the beginning of the month was TK so there you go. Don't know what he was fielding though.

I say take the folding fortress and put the casket on it. Think it would be nifty.

Frankly
23-09-2010, 08:17
What heck are all these people saying the TK aren't 'viable' for?

Viable? Viable?

What the hell? Viable for what? Running your home accounts, walking the dog, feeding the baby, sure TK aren't viable the such things as these. But as an army in Warhammer, playing a few games with mates or down at the club or at a tournament, then the Tomb kings and 100% viable.

I've played maybe 60-70 odd games with TK in 8th, first to test out the army for future comp scaling and then in 2 tournaments placing 3rd and 4th, so imho from a purely gaming point of view they're very 'viable'.

From a enjoyment point of view they're awesome to play, few armies are as consistant as TK, immune to pyche, magic phase, finishing off charges, ranged damage, consistantly crappy in combat :). All makes for an army you can rely on.

Personally I think alot of people are happy to jump on the 'they're no good, I heard it on the internet, but never actually seen them play' band wagon and then have made up their minds .... oh the fools.

wizbix
23-09-2010, 08:33
Thier no good - I read it on Tinternet first! ;)

Chris_
23-09-2010, 09:17

Viable? Viable?

What the hell? Viable for what? Running your home accounts, walking the dog, feeding the baby, sure TK aren't viable the such things as these. But as an army in Warhammer, playing a few games with mates or down at the club or at a tournament, then the Tomb kings and 100% viable.

I've played maybe 60-70 odd games with TK in 8th, first to test out the army for future comp scaling and then in 2 tournaments placing 3rd and 4th, so imho from a purely gaming point of view they're very 'viable'.

From a enjoyment point of view they're awesome to play, few armies are as consistant as TK, immune to pyche, magic phase, finishing off charges, ranged damage, consistantly crappy in combat :). All makes for an army you can rely on.

Personally I think alot of people are happy to jump on the 'they're no good, I heard it on the internet, but never actually seen them play' band wagon and then have made up their minds .... oh the fools.Actually what was discussed here was an all chariot army. I do agree that a balanced (maybe a bit magic heavy) TK army is still viable in 8th.

smithers
23-09-2010, 09:57

Viable? Viable?

Personally I think alot of people are happy to jump on the 'they're no good, I heard it on the internet, but never actually seen them play' band wagon and then have made up their minds .... oh the fools.

You got your panties in a bunch over something that a stranger posted on the internet two and a half years ago. :D

... but I'm glad you are having good luck & good times with the TK. I just love them models & artwork.

Frankly
23-09-2010, 11:17
You got your panties in a bunch over something that a stranger posted on the internet two and a half years ago. :D

....oooohhhhh

Arnizipal
23-09-2010, 11:29
Thread necromancy in a Tomb King thread :rolleyes:

Thread closed.

Arnizipal,

++ The Warseer Moderation Team ++