PDA

View Full Version : One man stores

Wolfmother
01-11-2008, 22:10
sorry if there has already been a thread on this but i couldnt find one with a quick search.

basicly my local gw(hemel hempstead) has been demoted so there is only one staff member and is only open 5 days a week :cries:

this surely cannot be benficail to gw as it is loosing two days of custom and the one staff member although he is trying his best is not coping well

so just wondering is there anyone else whos local store is also one man store and do they voice the same opinions as me?

The Judge
01-11-2008, 22:24
The days of custom cost more for the company more than they earn, if that makes any sense. They open more during the holidays and get in part-time staff, if Winchester is anything to go by.

TheBattleShop
01-11-2008, 22:37
I've seen the Hemel Hempstead store and it's quite a big one, although it never really seems that busy during the week.

I imagine they have more than one staff member in over the weekend?

Wolfmother
01-11-2008, 22:41
no they have one staff member who works monday, thursday, friday, saturday and sunday!

they are closed tuesdays and wednesdays even in school holidays

this is true it is a big shop.

its literally imposible to run intro games and look after the till and phone at the same time let alone paint shop models.

witchking
01-11-2008, 23:16
I could see real problems with a one man store,you named alot of them another is if you have a thief in your mist. I would advise a volunteer to help the guy out i bet some kid would help out for a employee discount on merch.

Thoume
02-11-2008, 01:27
When visiting Manchester I went to the GW at the Trafford centre and I can't think of one any smaller than it. It must have been no bigger than 14-15 feet square, was quite cool :D

orks2134
02-11-2008, 01:39
I could see real problems with a one man store,you named alot of them another is if you have a thief in your mist. I would advise a volunteer to help the guy out i bet some kid would help out for a employee discount on merch.

I bet if there is theft from inside, it wouldn't be hard to find the staffer responsible in a one man shop, though...

Ironbreaker
02-11-2008, 03:07
One staff member? To operate a store on his own?

How does that work?
I thought GW stores were there to encourage the hobby. I don't understand how one person can address all the hobby queries for all of the customers unless the store is never busy.
I'd feel sorry for anyone who would have to juggle all the requirements of that job.

Darnok
02-11-2008, 06:06
I don't understand how one person can address all the hobby queries for all of the customers unless the store is never busy.

Because it is impossible. One person can do only one thing properly at any given time. With intro games, painting help, painting shop models, and actually selling stuff, one person alone simply can not handle it. And this doesn't even take into account things like brakes anyone has to make at some point during the day - do they just close the shop for fifteen minutes?

It is just stupid, and a grave mistake, however you watch it. And it is oh so GW...

BigRob
02-11-2008, 07:02
I bet if there is theft from inside, it wouldn't be hard to find the staffer responsible in a one man shop, though...

I think they mean the thieving little children and adults that you get in GW. With one staffer a good distraction robbing shouldnt be too hard.

My local store stiull has 3 staff, but it used to have alot more part timers as well. most of them are still around although they are not official staff anymore, they still help out.

Pacific
02-11-2008, 08:14
Jeez they must really be suffering to sink so low.. As a staffer I remember chasing some kids half way accross town to get back some marines I had spent the best part of a week painting, but I guess the poor guy on his own will only be able to smile and wave :(

Wolfmother
02-11-2008, 08:25
yer he is finding it tough and cant do much about thieving me and a couple of the other regulard have been painting the shops models including the whole lizardmen army for gamesday :O but he wont let us run intro games begginers ect even though we have offered

It is just stupid, and a grave mistake, however you watch it. And it is oh so GW...

i completely agree all they need to get by is one more staff member who is full time who works the two days previously shut sat sun and thur (games night)

it has nothing to do with the size of the store my second nearest gw is watford which has 4 or 5 staff and the shop is a third of the size

The Judge
02-11-2008, 11:05
Remember that each store is not alone, they're part of a region and will all try to support each other. I know Winchester is heavily supported by the much larger Southampton store. Winchester does have a part-timer who helps work the weekends though, so it's not really a "one man" store.

Hivefleet Kara'don
02-11-2008, 12:29
i completely agree all they need to get by is one more staff member who is full time who works the two days previously shut sat sun and thur (games night)

and how much would that cost GW?

Lets say there are 10 of these 1 man stores in the UK. Each Staff member is paid 10,000 (assumption) To put a further staff member in each store would cost 100,000 per year. Thats quite a lot of money. Imagine if the number of stores increased to 100 worldside. Thats an extra 1,000,000 on that extra 1 staff member for the "1" man stores.

Thats rather alot of extra money to find. where would it come from........ Price rises. Don't think any of us would like that.

On an additional note, 1 man stores have been around in Japan for AGES and they seem to manage alright, infact they do rather well.

TheBattleShop
02-11-2008, 12:34
I like the Hemel Hempstead store. It's nice and big, looks neat and tidy and well laid out.

The Watford store on the other hand is like a closet. You literally have to squeeze yourself past the small gaming table to get to the other side of the store.

Wolfmother, maybe you and your friends should write up a letter addressing your concerns and send it to Games Workshop HQ. The Hemel store is one of the nicest GWs I've seen and it'd be a shame to see it close.

parus_ater
02-11-2008, 12:54
There's a hell of a lot of supposition going on here.....

LuciusAR
02-11-2008, 20:20
I'm an ex staffer. There were 3 full time members of staff in the store were I worked but on a number of occasions due to sickness, holidays ect or after another staffer had left there would days when I had to man the stores alone.

Its was hell. During the week it was mind numbingly dull being on my own for most of the day. I couldn't even make a cup of tea or go to the toilet without closing up. Not to mention the fact that it becomes practically impossible to take lunch. In theory I can close up for 1/2 and hour. I realisty this is impossible and after not answering the phone once to the area manager as I was out I got a bollocking.

Not to mention that interaction with other people is quite an essential thing for most people, so spending 6 hours of the day alone and the other 2 surrounded by small children with no escape is to say the least depressing. My girlfriend, at the time, noticed that after days on my own I was irritable and distracted during the evening.

Luckily this was the exception rather than the rule. I can honestly say that I would never work a one man store or would expect a substantial increase in wages to compensate. Anyone working these stores would be have their morale crushed quickly IMHO, I know mine would have been.

A staffer with poor morale cannot possibly give good customer service or be cheery. In short this will be poison for the store concerned.

Moronguhl
02-11-2008, 20:49
They've just opened one in Worthing near me.

I can understand staffing cut backs resulting in undermanned stores, but to open a new one-man store seems like madness. I'm guessing this is all due to LOTR playing disappearing? I personally can't wait til they lose the license, but I can imagine they have over expanded and this (and increasing prices in some cases?] is the price they pay.

-Moronguhl

Killgore
02-11-2008, 22:16
What about all the indy shops that operate with one owner and a band of 'helper's

I'm sure these GW one man stores operate very similar, mabey bribes to 'trusted' locals to help paint the store armys

Bob5000
02-11-2008, 23:09
Depends what kind of Indy Store it is , is it one that is frequented by more ' mature ' gamers , that needs less 'babysitting' than a typical GW store may need .

The Indy store I get to sometimes ( for my Warmachine needs ) has just the one staffer , but it is not generally filled with young children , and is less hectic .

The GW store I frequent regularly is this Hemel Hempstead store , and at the weekends is busy , but the very experienced ' one man ' staffer though very stretched does appear to be coping as far as I can see .
The overheads are of course now lower , so the store hopefully runs a profit now , which is better than the alternative which I feel would be closure .

This subject has been brought up before a couple of months ago , and I mentioned then that I hoped the one man staffer would not get burned out by GW - so far so good ...

blongbling
03-11-2008, 07:21
i would guess that as GW is rolling this concept out into smaller loactions that it is obviously working or at least showing signs that it works.

as Bob says, if this stops stores from colsing or indeed allows them to open up moer stores across the UK that cannot be a bad thing for growing the hobby

Wolfmother
03-11-2008, 21:31
and how much would that cost GW?

Lets say there are 10 of these 1 man stores in the UK. Each Staff member is paid 10,000 (assumption) To put a further staff member in each store would cost 100,000 per year. Thats quite a lot of money. Imagine if the number of stores increased to 100 worldside. Thats an extra 1,000,000 on that extra 1 staff member for the "1" man stores.

Thats rather alot of extra money to find. where would it come from........ Price rises. Don't think any of us would like that.

On an additional note, 1 man stores have been around in Japan for AGES and they seem to manage alright, infact they do rather well.

erm not that much if the store is open two more days then the new staffer will earnt his wage back not so?

and as many ex staff in this thread have said it is virging on impossible to run a store on your own.

I like the Hemel Hempstead store. It's nice and big, looks neat and tidy and well laid out.

The Watford store on the other hand is like a closet. You literally have to squeeze yourself past the small gaming table to get to the other side of the store.

Wolfmother, maybe you and your friends should write up a letter addressing your concerns and send it to Games Workshop HQ. The Hemel store is one of the nicest GWs I've seen and it'd be a shame to see it close.

yes hemel is a very nice store its a shame watford has a far superior turnover :cries: they nabbed our parttimer when he was laid to to "experiment"

What about all the indy shops that operate with one owner and a band of 'helper's

I'm sure these GW one man stores operate very similar, mabey bribes to 'trusted' locals to help paint the store armys

we dont get bribes we just dont want our store to close

yes i agree the staff member is a very good one at that if he wasnt good it would have gone tits up by now.

W0lf
03-11-2008, 21:44
im not sure the one man store thing is a good idea. Im another Hemel GW regular and i can deffinatly see how the store would benefit from another staffer.

Though in this case our staff member 'Big G' lets call him :P, is really stressed out all the time. He really should use us regulars (aged 16-18) alot more then he does.

Imus
03-11-2008, 23:01
GW is trying them out. They used for a variety of reasons the main is that the rent for the stores and space required is smaller and return supposedly greater. Staff in the stores get more money for being on their own, admittedly it is not alot. They have demoted other stores because they may not be meeting the KPI's and targets set. They also using it as a development for their development program for training existing staff in order to become managers.

The one man stores will not be getting any other staff for awhile (end of money year)

Brushmonkey
04-11-2008, 10:49
Personally I would love to work one of GWs one man stores. So long as it was a new, smaller one rather than a large, existing store just with less staff.

CyberShadow
04-11-2008, 14:43
Question: UK law states that employees must be allocated at least a 30 minute break every four hours. Assuming that the store is open for more than 4 hours each day... how is this handled with one staff member? Closed for lunch?

Imus
04-11-2008, 16:38
you are allowed to close the store for upto 45 minutes. Its always been the case for all stores when you do one man days which is a common occurrence.

Bob5000
05-11-2008, 07:21
Question: UK law states that employees must be allocated at least a 30 minute break every four hours. Assuming that the store is open for more than 4 hours each day... how is this handled with one staff member? Closed for lunch?

Indeed , we get chucked out in the cold for half an hour while the selfish staffer has his break ;)

Its the Internet , so I have to point out very clearly that was a joke - he needs that break even if it was not law .

Imus
05-11-2008, 17:01
for me it was always a case of having my mid afternoon poo while at work, fun times! One man days are quite fun, until u get attacked by lots of beginners, your store order comes in!!

IJW
05-11-2008, 19:42
you are allowed to close the store for upto 45 minutes. Its always been the case for all stores when you do one man days which is a common occurrence.
Yep, even back at the start of the Nineties when I looked after Torquay by myself for most of one Summer, all you could do was close for lunch. Or, more practically, close before or after lunch and catch the bit of extra trade when other people got out of work for their lunchbreaks...

W0lf
07-11-2008, 20:02
Our staffer tends to close at around 4 for lunch.

Gazak Blacktoof
07-11-2008, 22:40
for me it was always a case of having my mid afternoon poo while at work, fun times!

I'm not sure quite what you mean by "fun times"...:eek:

The Ape
08-11-2008, 14:32
Personally I would love to work one of GWs one man stores. So long as it was a new, smaller one rather than a large, existing store just with less staff.

Something the size of the Loughborough store would be ideal for one-man. Something the size of the Leicester store would not be ideal....

Fire Harte
08-11-2008, 16:20
Well, letters of complaint, the guy threatening to leave and possibly a petition may help, I would definately sign it.

I do hope you guys get something sorted out for their opinion of this, and tell the manager he has Warseer's support, regardless of his opinion. :D

yabbadabba
09-11-2008, 10:15
Yes, let us all rally together and force the government to address what is clearly an abuse of personal rights and is nothing more than slavery!

Crap. There are thousands of small businesses in the UK based on one person operating the entire business, let alone running a shop. They operate fine. If you say this should not happen you will close thousands of perfectly fine businesses for no other reason than to give someone a lunchbreak.

GW and the customers have one choice in some of these places. Go to one staff member or close the store. I would have thought the local gaming community would support that store being closed for lunch just to have the shop still in their town. Once the company starts making more money, there is still the option of employing more staff, a considerably lesser expense than re-opening a store.

And before anyone asks, yes I have worked in a one man store in a retail environment and found it challenging but nowhere near impossible. It was a lot of fun.

blongbling
09-11-2008, 10:30
if teh store manager doesnt want to work in a onw man store then he shoudlnt apply for it...its that simple. noone has been put into a one man store who didnt want it

Bob5000
09-11-2008, 21:54
if teh store manager doesnt want to work in a onw man store then he shoudlnt apply for it...its that simple. noone has been put into a one man store who didnt want it

No , its not that simple .

My store went from 2 full time and a weekend part timer to one man , one of those full timers becoming acting Manager .

It could be a choice of that or no job .

blongbling
10-11-2008, 07:31
that must be awful for him, put upto acting manager and being trained up so that he can then become great in his store and go off to a bigger store...is he complaining?

ChrisMurray
10-11-2008, 11:59
I own my own business, and I run a shop and 4 internet shops (Non of which are wargaming I will point out) all on my own. It's not impossible for one man shops to work as has been pointed out.

As long as they get a good system going it will work fine.

Bob5000
10-11-2008, 12:45
that must be awful for him, put upto acting manager and being trained up so that he can then become great in his store and go off to a bigger store...is he complaining?

Not to me he isnt .

It aint a bed of sweet smelling roses though , doing 2 and a half peoples jobs in a store that for as long as I remember was regarded as needing that level of staff .

parus_ater
10-11-2008, 12:56
Whatever, I'm sure this thread isn't doing him any favours.

blumley
10-11-2008, 18:33
ok as a staff member i think its probably good to highlight the point of the one man store. they are being opened to act as a small hobby stop off points for those of you not near gws and they will hopefully prove to be very useful. if the staff member at your store is struggling then im sure measures are being put in place to ease his workload as i ahev found staff support within the company to be very good.

Bob5000
10-11-2008, 22:20
From my point of view he is coping doing the job more people did and thereby making that store profitable . Inevitably he is working harder .