PDA

View Full Version : DE vs. WE

A.Gentleman
02-11-2008, 12:36
Rightio

My main opponent will be a Wood Elf player. We don't have our armies ready for gaming yet but I was wondering about any generic tactics we Druchii have against the Woodland Kin.

Many thanks in advance
A.Gentleman

Emeraldw
02-11-2008, 12:53
Rightio

My main opponent will be a Wood Elf player. We don't have our armies ready for gaming yet but I was wondering about any generic tactics we Druchii have against the Woodland Kin.

Many thanks in advance
A.Gentleman

I don't know how you can beat them, but I know how he can beat you.

First off, don't get used to getting the charge. Elves usually do, but Wood Elves will out maneuver you, know this and get used to it.

Wood Elf Units hit hard in CC. 2 groups of dryads (one in front, one in flank) is enough to break you so be careful. he can only win using combined charges. Few units alone can break any unit and those that can need a flank/rear charge.

Don't let his Treeman tie you up. Treemen are hard as rocks. T6, Str 6 5 atks is brutal. Especially since he's stubborn on Ld8. I've whittled down whole units using a treeman.

Don't expect your RBT's to last long. With so many skirmishers, fast cav and normal archery it is not hard at all for Wood Elves to take out your Warmachines.

STAY OUT OF THE WOODS! If you go in, not only are you going to spend all game in the woods, the basic spell, Treesinging, will deal D6 Str 5 hits to you in the woods and this does not have a range or require line of sight. It hurts to have this cast multipe times on you in the magic phase.

And finally many Wood Elf units cause fear, however it is unlikely this will come into play as you will likely outnumber, but important to mention anyway.

Assassins HURT. ASF hurts against an army with practically no armor. Especially at that WS with hatred.

Just my quick thoughts.

RavenBloodwind
02-11-2008, 14:15
Having fought WE vs DE a few times, the things that bother my very Asrai-centered list (only forest spirits are 2 units of dryads) are:

The unit of death (usually BSB w/ASF banner in a unit of executioners or black guard with an assassin with rune of Khaine).

RBTs- they can decimate my glade rider and glade guard units (I don't have any juicy targets) and also make a mess of my skirmishing combat units (wardancers and dryads) but I suspect this is just due to the horrendously good rolling my opponent seems to keep having (5-6 hits all wounding EVERY stinking time he shot).

Your basic shooting can be quite effective as well. You're out-distanced by WE shooting but this is largely irrelevant in a typical game as you're both moving and will end up in range. The sheer volume of fire from RXBs is kind of scary and the T3 no-armor WE will not enjoy it.

mattschuur
02-11-2008, 14:49
I've done very well against WE with my Dark Elves, mostly because of the Repeater crossbow and Cold One Chariots. My army usually has 12 X 2 Crossbowmen, 2 chariots with 4 crossbows, 10 Dark riders with Crossbow, and 8 shades. thats 46 models that have 2 shot missile weapons. On top of that i take 2 Rbt's. Wood elves do not like that much shooting. Also, in my experience, Chariots can decimate the Dryad and Wardancer units pretty well. Or at least wittle them down to make them easier to handle.

matt schuur

isidril93
02-11-2008, 19:24
use assasins, black guard, shooting

Kalec
02-11-2008, 22:26
A few units of crossbowmen, a unit of ASF black guard, a pair of hydras, and whatever else you want to deal with treemen and treekin. Assassins work nicely, I hear.

Lord Malorne
02-11-2008, 22:40
If done right DE magic can be devestating vs WE, I play WE and nothing is more annoying than when an enamy gets the lighting spell off on a wild rider unit....2's to kill the point munchers :cries:.

Cold ones vs treemen does not work, I have had mine charged by a full unit of Cold one kights along with a noble...two turns of combat and all that was left was a greasy red smear on the battlefield :evilgrin:.

RBT's are, as usual, a right pain for any army to face.

rich55
02-11-2008, 22:47
I play WE quite a lot and the two things that scary me the most is magic and bolt throwers. Also watch out for alter kindreds tearing across the battlefield.

The Red Scourge
03-11-2008, 19:48
Few things scare me as a WE player.

Shooty magic with lots of power dies.

Tough monsters.

And little terrain on the field.

– and you have one unit all WE players envy you – shades.