PDA

View Full Version : Need help for WOC Chaos Ogre list.

forgottenlor
03-11-2008, 09:33
This is my first experiment with WOC and I'm unsure as what I shoud take as thre are alot of options. :confused: Thanks in advance for any help on this list.:) The only thing concrete on this list are the 4 units or ogres, as I have 4 units of Ironguts already. How they are marked and equipped, however, can be changed. The horsemen are there (at least this is my thought) as bait for the ogres, they can attack or flee as necessary to set the ogres up.
One alternative Id consider Im really weighing in is exchanging the Shaggoth for the 2 units of marauders. Im not sure if changing in the speed and hitting power for numbers and ranks would help this list or not.

Sorcerer Lord, Lvl 4, Mark of Tzeentch, Manticore, Talisman of Protection, Daemonsword. 580 points.
I was considering exhanging the Daemonsword for the Runesword and magic shield or the sword of might, blasphemous amulet, and magic shield. What do you think the best combo is?

Exalted Hero, BSB, Halberd, Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut of Khorne, Rapturuous Standard. 224 points.
Ive considered exchanging the standard for the collar of Khorne or the blaspemous amulet. Which do you think is better?

Sorcerer, Mark of Slaanesh, Lvl 2 Wizard, Dispel Scroll, Book of Secrets. 165 points.

Characters: 969 points.

5 Marauder Horsemen, Flails, Light Armour, Musician. 86 points.
5 Marauder Horsemen, Flails, Light Armour, Musician. 86 points.
5 Marauder Horsemen, Flails, Light Armour, Musician, 86 points.

Sorcerer goes here:
25 Marauders. Light Armour, Shields, Full Command. Mark of Slaanesh 200 points.

Core: 458 points

BSB goes here:
3 Chaos Ogres, Chaos Armour, Mark of Khorne, Great Weapons, Full Command. 230 points

3 Chaos Ogres, Chaos Armour, Great Weapons. 150 points.
3 Chaos Ogres, Chaos Armour, Great Weapons. 150 points.
3 Chaos Ogres, Chaps Armour, Great Weapons, 150 points.

Special: 680 points.

Scyla Anfingrimm 105 points.
Dragon Ogre Shaggoth, great weapon. 285 points
Im not sure if I should trade the Shaggoth for something else.Rare: 390 points.

2497 points

Neknoh
03-11-2008, 12:02
I would trade Scyla for two normal Spawns, she's quicker, but she's also a Special Character partially.

I would also drop the Lightarmour from the Horsemen, they don't really need it. And lastly, have you considered dropping one Chaos Ogre unit and distributing the Ogres amongst the others? Creating units of 4.

As for the Battle Standard Bearer, I would go for a Collar of Khorne instead, Magic resistance would be good to have in this list if you don't get pandemonium off. Wardsaves are also very tasty items.

forgottenlor
03-11-2008, 19:47
Making the units bigger might be a good idea. What do you think I should do with the points saved from the light armour? Should I give the 2 non- Khorne units of ogres the mark of slaanesh?
I also don't really understand what your objection to Scylla is. Is there a problem fielding unique monsters? (She is under the rare section and not the character section)

Neknoh
03-11-2008, 20:01
I have nothing against fielding named characters or the likes (I actually played, and still play, Lotr before I ventured into Chaos back at the rise of the Storm), however, many a person will object to them on pure tradition.

Special characters weren't always balanced, instead, they were quite the military monsters back in fifth edition, able to ripp entire armies appart on their OWN. Transition to 6th saw some balanced, some less balanced, however, now, I feel they are actually good and well on the field of battle. Besides, for Scylia, you can get two normal ones.

Kalec
03-11-2008, 23:12
Scyla is not a special character. Is it really that hard to understand?

Drop the shaggoth, it just isn't worth it. Swap the talisman on the lord for a collar of khorne, or grab a runesword and one of the different suits of magic armor. Pick up a third mage to guarantee some magic gets through.

Neknoh
03-11-2008, 23:26
Note that I reffered to Scyla as "named" rather than special, as said, I have no issue playing against him or similar units.

However, there ARE players that WOULD object to Scylia

Dead Man Walking
04-11-2008, 04:04
If I saw a daemonsword on a chaos sorceror I would throw -anything- at it even if it cant win just in hopes the chaos sorceror splits themselves in half. Ah the memories of tossing Furies at chaos sorcerors..... :) I would never field anything that costs 300-400 pnts and kills itself.

Scalya is not a special character, its just an effective spawn. It even has to have special rules to allow it to challenge, which a character could do naturally.

If anyone complains about special characters they don't have to play you. Frankly special characters are now -in- the armylist, they are no longer seperated from the army by being inserted in the end of the book. GW did this intentionally, its no accident. They are 100% legal and intentionally so. So they can grumble all they want or they can figure out how to deal with them. Personally I only field them if they are part of the fluff of my army like a White lions Army with Khorhail. I've never lost a game because my opponent put a special character on the table, in fact I've only lost games due to making stupid mistakes and bad dice rolls.

SolarHammer
04-11-2008, 04:08
The only decent combination for the Daemonsword is on a Sorceror Lord of Tzeentch, mounted on a barded steed equipped with the Enchanted Shield.

The 0+ save means that the worst (best) case scenario, he's hitting himself with S7, which turns the save into a 4+ and then he has his 6+ ward. Combined with the roll to wound, and you're practically safe. Sure you lose out a bit on the killiness from the monster, but it makes the character much better overall.

forgottenlor
04-11-2008, 07:41
Drop the shaggoth, it just isn't worth it. Swap the talisman on the lord for a collar of khorne, or grab a runesword and one of the different suits of magic armor. Pick up a third mage to guarantee some magic gets through.

Why hadn't I considered the collar instead of the talisman. That's sort of a no brainer if its not on another character. Thanks. What do you like instead of the Shaggoth, another large unit of ogres, 2 units of marauders, a giant, or a sorcerer and a small unit of marauders?

The 0+ save means that the worst (best) case scenario, he's hitting himself with S7, which turns the save into a 4+ and then he has his 6+ ward. Combined with the roll to wound, and you're practically safe. Sure you lose out a bit on the killiness from the monster, but it makes the character much better overall.

I think I'll drop the daemon sword. Here is my revised Sorcerer Lord:

Sorcerer Lord, Lvl 4, Mark of Tzeentch, Manticore, Collar of Khorne, Runesword, Enchanted Shield. 575 points

He costs 5 points less and sacrafices a little bit of offensive power in favour of improved protection. What do you think?

LION
04-11-2008, 12:51
:) I recon you should stick with the Chaos Armoured Ogre Theme and Drop the Shaggoth for a 4th Ogre Unit.

:cheese:Using Scalya should be fine, but you will cop a lot of Cheese Flak for a L4 Tzzentch Lord with a Collar of Khorne!

:angel:Give him the Golden Eye instead and remain a nice popular player LION

forgottenlor
04-11-2008, 12:58
I'll make sure to not give me the collar when playing other players who use fluffy lists. Instead I'll give me back the amulet of protection or the golden eye.;) (Depending on what I'm facing)

As most players around me use rather competitive lists and don't make their lists fluffy, I'm trying to build a competitive list at least for now. (fluff can always come later.:))