PDA

View Full Version : Basic 2k Vampire Counts (versus DE)

Count Demandred
03-11-2008, 09:09
My brother's drawn up a basic 2000 point Dark Elf army, containing one Dreadlord and a single Sorceress as it's special Characters. So as I'm not going up against a magic heavy army I've devised a fair equivalent of my own, in the hope to make it an enjoyable battle.

Here's my list, please comment:

Vampire Lord, Cound Demandred - 435
• Book of Arkhan, Sword of Battle, Black Periapt, Cardaverous Cuirass
• Red Fury, Dread Knight, Infinite Hatred
• Level 3 Wizard Upgrade

Vampire, Balthamel the Proselyte - 200
• Flayed Hauberk, Tomb Blade
• Infinite Hatred, Walking Death

Necromancer, Nicodemus the Foul - 130
• Two Extra Spells
• Sceptre de Noirot, Power Stone
• Mounted on (the) Corpse Cart

-----

Skeletons, x20 - 180
• Full Command

Skeletons, x20 - 200
• Spears
• Full Command

Ghouls, x22 - 184
• Ghast

Corpse Cart, - 100
• Balefire

-----

Black Knights, x10 - 365
• Barding
• Full Command
• Banner of the Barrows

Fell Bats, x3 - 60

-----

Wraiths, x3 - 150

-----

TOTAL: 2004

Ixeon
03-11-2008, 10:48
Skeletons, x20 - 200
Spears
Full Command

Skip the spears i would say, armor is better.

Ghouls, x23 - 192
Ghast

If you drop 3, and as the spears are gone, i said add a new unit of 5-6 Dire Wolves.

An other thing you could do, is remove the wraiths and maybe a skeleton champion to add a Varghulf, he will help more with the magic (cause they are lvl 1 wizards, correct me if i am worng).

Archon.42
03-11-2008, 18:44
you arewrong...they are not wizards
all round nice list

Count Demandred
04-11-2008, 02:02
Firstly, cheers for the help/comments.

Skip the spears i would say, armor is better.

If you drop 3, and as the spears are gone, i said add a new unit of 5-6 Dire Wolves.

An other thing you could do, is remove the wraiths and maybe a skeleton champion to add a Varghulf, he will help more with the magic (cause they are lvl 1 wizards, correct me if i am worng).

Yeah I've read that Spears are rather obselete, but there isn't an option to upgrade armour - all Skeletons come with Light Armour and Shields already.

You're onto something with the Dire Wolves there, though. I'd save 20 from dropping the spears, and 3 Ghouls, I'll have 44 points to spend. Hrm, I could work with that....

And no, Varghulf's aren't level 1 Wizards. And I'd be loath to drop the Wraiths because my brother hasn't got much that could tackle them.

you arewrong...they are not wizards
all round nice list

Thanks mate.

zerachiel
04-11-2008, 06:12
I believe he was referring to the +1 ASv you get when in close combat with Hand Weapon/Shield that you do not get from using Spears.

I'd personally skip on giving the Necromancer 2 extra spells- both Vampires know Invocation and don't have much else to cast, as they seem to be kitted out for combat. Both of them can default to Raise Dead as well- so I'd say the only thing you really need in that list is Vanhel's.

I am also quite sure that you cannot take 2 Swords of Battle. You cannot take more than one of the same magic item with the exception of Dispel Scrolls and Power Stones. A Sword of Might on the Lord would work just as well anyway.

I feel 20 Skeletons cannot win combat without a boatload of help, perhaps you should invest in Lord of the Dead to raise them over their starting numbers. You need that +1 from Outnumber frequently when using static CR to take down enemies. Especially since Dark Elves can easily eliminate your front rank.

The best 3 Fell Bats can do is hunt some warmachines, and even then, a bad round of combat will have them killed by warmachine crew. They will never survive a combat against anything better- even dedicated shooting troops can probably take them unless they're 1-wide and you charge them on the side. More Bats, or Summon Creatures of the Night are what I'd recommend, especially since your Black Knights are likely to be bogged down by a Vampire and cannot flank the enemy by using their Ethereal Movement.

A few thoughts, mostly opinions.

Count Demandred
04-11-2008, 06:56
I believe he was referring to the +1 ASv you get when in close combat with Hand Weapon/Shield that you do not get from using Spears.

I'd personally skip on giving the Necromancer 2 extra spells- both Vampires know Invocation and don't have much else to cast, as they seem to be kitted out for combat. Both of them can default to Raise Dead as well- so I'd say the only thing you really need in that list is Vanhel's.

Good points there, I'll look into some cost saving starting with scrapping the two extra spells. Though my logic was being sure of having Van Hel's on (at least) two of my models would be immense.

And yeah, on second thought he obviously meant the +1 bonus for Hand Weapons and Shields. (the problem is my unit is actually armed with spears, luckily for me my brother wont care)

I am also quite sure that you cannot take 2 Swords of Battle. You cannot take more than one of the same magic item with the exception of Dispel Scrolls and Power Stones. A Sword of Might on the Lord would work just as well anyway.

I feel 20 Skeletons cannot win combat without a boatload of help, perhaps you should invest in Lord of the Dead to raise them over their starting numbers. You need that +1 from Outnumber frequently when using static CR to take down enemies. Especially since Dark Elves can easily eliminate your front rank.

Hrm, I thought you could take as many of the Generic Magic Items as you wanted... Well if that's the case it'll simply scrap it for something else, though against low Toughness Elves more attacks coming from Vampire models = more deaths.

As for the skeletons, well one of the units was to be more of a bog-pit and guard the Necromancer. Whilst the other was to have my Vampire (Hero) accompanying them to give it a bit more of grunt, with the Ghouls moving in a similar line they'd make for a hard combat duo, one that could soak up a few wounds.

But since it looks like I'll be able to cut out some of the dead wood I should have enough points to redirect towards them.

The best 3 Fell Bats can do is hunt some warmachines, and even then, a bad round of combat will have them killed by warmachine crew. They will never survive a combat against anything better- even dedicated shooting troops can probably take them unless they're 1-wide and you charge them on the side. More Bats, or Summon Creatures of the Night are what I'd recommend, especially since your Black Knights are likely to be bogged down by a Vampire and cannot flank the enemy by using their Ethereal Movement.

A few thoughts, mostly opinions.

Yeah, the bats are simply there to hunt his Bolt Thrower Crew. I know he's only going to field one so I'm pretty confident they'll be able to do the trick. If/after they've disposed of the two crewmen they'll go Sorceress hunting!

AH, did not think about using the Black Knights for some sly flank manoeuvering, they were simply a 'point and charge' unit. Either way they'll be the clincher in this battle... So maybe I will have to detatch my Lord, but this will obviously leave him vulerable, but then again if the bats can do their job he should be able to stick it out on his own...

Thanks for the ideas! Looks like I have a lot more to consider!

g0ddy
04-11-2008, 15:26
Only vampire 'characters' are level 1 wizards. Vargulfs, Blood Knights and Black Coaches are not.

~ zilla