PDA

View Full Version : 2000 High Elves

grownupgamer
04-11-2008, 01:10
Been playing 40k for awhile and now I'm getting into fantasy. I know High Elves aren't the best "starter" army, but of all the armies I figured I would enjoy painting them the most (new Chaos Warriors are a close second, however.) I have a HE battalion box and wanted to use it along with cavalry.

Tyrion - 400
Lord

Mage (Level 2, Dispel Scroll, Dragonhorn, Barded Elven Steed) - 196
Hero

Archers x16 (Hawkeye, Standard Bearer, Light Armor) - 211
Core

Spearmen x16 (Sentinel, Musician, Standard Bearer, Lion Standard) - 194
Core

Silver Helms x10 (High Helm, Musician, Standard Bearer, Shields) - 270
Special

Dragon Princes x10 (Drakemaster, Musician, Standard Bearer, Amulet of Light, Banner of Arcane Protection) - 390
Special

Ellyrian Reavers x5 (Harbinger, Musician, Bows) - 119
Special

Ellyrian Reavers x5 (Harbinger, Musician, Bows) - 119
Special

Repeating Bolt Thrower - 100
Rare

Total: 1999

Since I'm new to fantasy I figured I'd keep it simple, ride forward and charge with the most deadly character available to lead the attack. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

LION
04-11-2008, 12:52
;) Your slection would sure look great painted up on the field of battle. My only issue is the 16 archers with Standard. Better to make them ten and drop the Standard + light armour as it would be easy prey/points to opponents. Maybe consider atracting an Eagle with the saved points? Happy painting LION

Desert Rain
04-11-2008, 13:09
You should drop the archers to 10 or 12 without any command. Then use those points to ad 4 more spearmen models to make a unit of 20.

That mage won't cast anything against most armies. It would be better to drop him to level 1 and just give him 2 scrolls for defense.

I'm not a fan of big cavaly units, I prefer smaller ones of 5-6 models. But that's up to you.

Mullitron
04-11-2008, 13:30
Nice list, balanced and characterful. Agree with the previous comment concerning the level 2 mage and archer command tho.

WhiteKnight
04-11-2008, 14:39
Archers don't want to see combat so ALWAYS keep them at 10 with no upgrades. Tyrion is a good character, use him wisely because he can deal a lot of damage. A Str 7 elf with a beastly horse and the armor save and ward saves are amazing. And the unit you put him in has Magic Resistance (2) which, if you don't know what it is, is that when a spell targets that unit, you have an extra 2 Dispel Dice to use to dispel it if the spell goes off.

Mireadur
04-11-2008, 18:45
keep musician on archers though. will help them regroup when they flee.

g0ddy
04-11-2008, 19:06
If tyrion intends to join the Dragon Princes you can drop the standard of arcane protection - there is no point is doubling up on magic resistance as they dont stack. I would replace it with the Lion Standard, making them immune to fear and terror.. something dragon princes and tryion suffer from.

~ zilla

grownupgamer
05-11-2008, 19:11
Thanks for all the feedback. Great ideas. I'm also thinking about dropping the Ellyrian Reavers and adding an infantry unit. I'm leaning toward 10 sword masters because they can dish out punishment but I also like the Phoenix Guard for their ability to cause fear.

Thanks again.

Aeolthir
11-11-2008, 15:36
I dont agree dropping the Ellyrian Reavers. Fast cavalery is great for a bait and and switch strategy since they can move and shoot after rally, have a great movement value of 9 and can be a good flaknking unit.

Drop the Silver helms and keep the dragon princes and the ellyrian reavers and maybe add sword master to protect the archer and the bolt thrower.

grhino
12-11-2008, 13:42
Just take a few DP's less... there's no need to keep adding points to expensive cavalry that will not fight from a second rank. They should dish out quite a punch with Tyrion in their midst anyway!

grownupgamer
14-11-2008, 00:53
Thanks for all the feedback. After much number-crunching, I've come up with this revised list:

Tyrion - 400 points
Lord

Mage (Dispell Scroll x2) - 140
Hero

Archersx10 (Musician) - 115
Core

Spearmenx20 (Full Command) - 205
Core

Dragon Princes x7 (Full Command, Amulet of Light, Lion Standard) - 300
Special

Silver Helmsx10 (Full Command, Shields) - 270
Special

Ellyrian Reaversx5 (Harbinger, Musician, Bows) - 119
Special

Phoenix Guardx20 (Full Command, War Banner) - 350
Special

Bolt Thower - 100
Rare

Total: 1999

The Reavers will ride out to bait and switch, hopefully setting up Tyrion who will ride with the Dragon Princes. The Silver Helms will flank. Behind the cavalry, the Phoenix Guard and spearmen form the line of battle with archers and the bolt thrower providing support. The lowly level 1 mage will purely be for defense and support. Again thanks for all the feedback and any further thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

PARTYCHICORITA
14-11-2008, 01:41
Not bad at all, however there is some stuff you don't need:

-Musician on the archers
-More than 6 models in a cavalry unit
-Champion or musician on the princes (paying 20pts for +1A in a unit that has already 10 ain't a good deal)
-Standard on Silver helms, they are a support unit
-Champion on reaver, they are not meant to kill things

I would split the helms in to units of 5-6 with champion and get some eagles and maybe a second RBT.

Good luck