PDA

View Full Version : High Elf units

DigbyWeapon
04-11-2008, 04:32
Ok, so I'm building another unit of archers and spear elves, and I wanted to know if you think that 10 man units of archers are alright?

I have a 16 man archer unit, which I put in two ranks of 8, but I was thinking 10 would be okay in 5 X 2.

The reasons why I wanted this was to get in another core choice, and just because I think 10 man will augment my fire power without spending too many points.

Do you think that is a good idea? or will it fail?

Digby

von_Griff
04-11-2008, 04:36
well, it can guard a flank against things like fast cavalry, or pick at a war machine, but I wouldn't expect devastating volleys from them. I find the most effective thing they do is spread out 10 wide single rank and just pick off small stuff.

The Red Scourge
04-11-2008, 04:49
Why would it fail? You honestly think your archers have anything to say, if they end up in CC?

With the exception of chaos dwarves, no shooty unit gains anything from going above their minimum unit size. If you need more shooting, you just take more units.

SilentTempest
04-11-2008, 06:30
I'm with these fellows. Unless you KNOW you're getting a hill, in which case more than 10 can be split into 2 ranks, there's no point going more than 10 models spread 10 wide.

Elves All The Way
05-11-2008, 06:04
welll if your fight an army that can out shoot you like dwarves or wood elves you should rank your archers and put some fighting guys like swordmasters, calvery or even spearmen behind them so they're screened, then if anybody attacks your archers take the fight then move the guys behind your archers and flank the ememy. that way you can keep a volley of arrows and trap your ememies

Desert Rain
05-11-2008, 15:44
Archers should never be fielded in units of more then 12 models. If you want more of them consider 2 units of 10 which will give you more flexibility when it comes to choosing targets.