PDA

View Full Version : Catachan Barking toads do exist!

Jonathan =I=
27-04-2005, 14:37
Found this on the net and loved it :p

Catachan Barking toads do exist!
Mystery of German exploding toads

The toads of Altona are dying in their thousands
Toads in an area of northern Germany are being killed off by a mysterious disease - they are exploding.
Thousands of the amphibians have died in recent days in a pond in Hamburg's Altona district, with their bodies swelling to bursting point.

The toads' entrails are propelled for up to a metre (3.2ft), in scenes that have been likened to science fiction.

Scientists are baffled. Possible explanations include a unknown virus or a fungus in the pond.

"You see the animals crawling on the ground, swelling and then exploding," German conservationist Werner Smolnik told AFP news agency.

The bodies of the toads expanded to three and a half times their normal size, he said.

"I have never seen such a thing," AFP quotes veterinarian Otto Horst as saying. The site - which has been dubbed "the pond of death" - has been closed to the public.

Asher
27-04-2005, 17:48
Althugh quite unbelivebale, it'd be quite nasty if it mutates a human virus. :cool:

Ass Goblin
27-04-2005, 21:21
How cool is that! Hey look a toad *toad explodes* Oh yay now i'm covered in toad guts!

:0)
27-04-2005, 23:06
I suspect terrorists.

Grumnir
28-04-2005, 00:26
Pffft it's obviously G.W. Bush who is at fault here!!!11one!!11

Is there any mention of the timeframe from swelling to explosion? i.e. slow inflation and finally popping or fairly quick?

Getz
28-04-2005, 03:30
I guessing the Former. Sounds like some kind of gas build up in the affected toadis gut... A horrible (although admitted hilarious) way for any creature to die.

VanHel
28-04-2005, 03:31
Now people, were all side steping the real question here: Is there any video footage of this out there?

Wiseman
28-04-2005, 06:22
if it mutated into a human virus i can just see people all start crawling out of the sea and exploding, how would lifesavers deal with that?

Darwin_green
28-04-2005, 09:26
well...you could always use that scene from "the meaning of life" to paint a pretty picture with.

Brother Munro
28-04-2005, 10:27
Well I'm glad they are just exploding, 'cos a Catachan Barking one is kinda poisonous, and greater toads kill off several miles of Catachan jungle when they go off... :eek:

Scythe
28-04-2005, 11:00
Well, just exploding is just the first step in evolution. Soon everyone will be dreading the monserous atomic bomb frog. ;)

Eldacar
28-04-2005, 11:19
Atomic Bomb Frogs? :rolleyes:

So, the Barking Toad does exist after all... anybody want to place bets on something else from WH existing in the real world? ;)

Brother Munro
28-04-2005, 11:24
Hmmmm.... I bet on the Chaos Gods. :evilgrin: :D

PetrusRegulus
28-04-2005, 12:43
Some theories have been put forward lately (screened from some European on-line news papers / magazines):

a) The usual: polution, either by chemicals, foreign bacteria/virusses or something "unnatural" caused by humans - according to latest findings nothing of the sort has been found

b) selfinflicted: toads can be driven to explode themselves because of load noises, nearby horse racings (!) or other such stuff - this is also deemed unlikely

c) crows: according to this toads blow themselves up to look larger / more imposing when threatened by predators - presumably some crows have found out that toads' livers are a delicacy and use their beaks to pick the blown-up toads open resulting in the toads' lungs (and thereby the rest of the toads' innards) exploding - this should be probable as crows are quite smart and should also have occured before and as such is a known cause of toad explosion

d) wet eggs: if a female toad is too late in getting her eggs pressed out into some suitable water hole those eggs still inside the female may swell so much from mositure that it is to late to get them out resulting in the toad exploding from too-large eggs. This is deemed probable as most of the exploding toads seem to be female, although I havent's seen any pictures of exploded toads surrounded by loads of enlarged eggs.

Finally, toad explosions are now also seen in Denmark, so it's not just a local German phenomenon.

One strange thing is that the explosions all seem to occur at night between 2 and 3 am, which IMHO rules out crows as the cause, whereas toads mostly lay their eggs at nighttime.

Anybody else heard more / later news on this interesting and strange subject?

grey_painter
28-04-2005, 12:49
Hmmmm.... I bet on the Chaos Gods. :evilgrin: :D

The amount of people who already believe in them on this board alone should be enough to will them into exsistance.

I'm betting on squats though...

The Phoenix
28-04-2005, 13:10
One strange thing is that the explosions all seem to occur at night between 2 and 3 am, which IMHO rules out crows as the cause, whereas toads mostly lay their eggs at nighttime.This makes me suspect that the culprit is a group of teenagers sticking firecracker, or baking soda, or something, in the toads and letting them go.

-Phoenix

The pestilent 1
28-04-2005, 15:00
The amount of people who already believe in them on this board alone should be enough to will them into exsistance.

I'm betting on squats though...

theres not that many.
well... except him, and her, him, me obviously and...
well, okay i see your point.

and besides, who sticks explosive in frogs?
everyone knows its funnier in pigeons!
(and watching them get run over by buses is disturbingly rather hilarious)

TheSonOfAbbadon
28-04-2005, 18:23
Just mix rice with confetti, feed it to pigeons, and wait for them to fly up, et voila! Instant wedding celebrations!

You know there's a nebula in the shape of the Eye of Terror, seriously, there is.

Ass Goblin
29-04-2005, 11:47
Just mix rice with confetti, feed it to pigeons, and wait for them to fly up, et voila! Instant wedding celebrations!

That doesn't work. They just get full easy. There is actually no proof they explode if you give them rice.

The Phoenix
29-04-2005, 11:51
They won't necessarily blow up, but if they eat too much their stomach will explode within their body, resulting in death, due to severe internal bleeding and, well, a non-functioning stomach. The same thing can happen to toddlers, which is why it's dangerous to keep dry rice in a place that small children can find it.

-Phoenix

Wiseman
29-04-2005, 13:33
so if i go to a kindegarten and leave a pack of dry rice in the middle of the playground, i could get in trouble??

TheSonOfAbbadon
29-04-2005, 15:19
Not if you run away.

TheSonOfAbbadon
29-04-2005, 15:22
That doesn't work. They just get full easy. There is actually no proof they explode if you give them rice.

Rice produces carbon dioxide, since the Pigeon can neither burp nor fart to get rid of the gas. So when they fly high, the pressure is reduced, the gas expands... boom.

:0)
01-05-2005, 18:44
Maybe someone fed the toads antacids?

Jonathan =I=
01-05-2005, 23:55
Does that Pigeon and rice thing realy work?

And has anyone tried it?

Ass Goblin
02-05-2005, 00:20
Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/wild.asp#wild)

3rd from the top. Kinda wraps that one up.

Jonathan =I=
02-05-2005, 00:24
Still sounds like something for Myth Busters

Ass Goblin
02-05-2005, 02:23
I would think that the Animal cruelty people wouldn't be happy with them trying to explode birds.

VanHel
02-05-2005, 03:52
Im still looking for video of the these "exploding frogs".

The pestilent 1
02-05-2005, 10:55
and i wanted to blow up some pigeons :(
oh well, i'll stick to annoying people the old fashioned way i guess.

Wiseman
02-05-2005, 11:14
how fun would it be to stick an exploding toad on your bio teachers desk, and get him to explode why it exploded all over it:D

salty
02-05-2005, 11:22
I'm betting on Halflings being real. Just watch channel 4 tonight if you live in the UK, and all will be explained...

And my old man used to stick straws up frogs bums and blow them up (well, inflate them). It really does work! (but I'm not advocating it!)

Salty :)

Bmaxwell
03-05-2005, 20:23
well know i know not to belive snopes anymore.

a person handing a baby bird with out gloves will put the oil form there hands and the smell of themselves onto the bird which will cause the mother bird to reject (and sometimes kill the baby bird itself)

think of it this way if you had a couch that smelled bad and really bad and you couldn't clean it you would get rid of it and buy a new one.

not the same thing but still works the mother bird then sees the baby as a possiable threat so there fore leaves it to fend for its self

Hideous Loon
03-05-2005, 20:49
Exploding frogs, you say? No, wait, those were toads. Big difference. I believe this is just another terror threat by the al-Qaida. All we have to wait for now is toads that, when they explode, take an acre of forest with them. What? It could happen...

As for Warhammer things existing in the real world, I'd say the Artist, formerly known as (Daemon) Prince.

glimli
04-05-2005, 04:13
i hope they can spread this to cane taods in australia. save the queenslanders the effort of killing them.

Jonathan =I=
04-05-2005, 07:56
But that would destroy the main form of recreation in queensland. Taking a nine iron to a cane toad.

Ass Goblin
04-05-2005, 09:23
But that would destroy the main form of recreation in queensland. Taking a nine iron to a cane toad.

:( Townsville RSPCA has banned the use of nine iron to toads now. $5000 fine and some other stuff. Bastard ruining our fun. At current moment i'm using a super soaker filled with metho to burn them :D

salty
04-05-2005, 09:38
So hunting toads in Oz is like hunting foxes in England? Except without recoats. Or horses. or guns. Or dogs. Sounds *slightly* more humane.

If you tried that over here, animal rights activists would string you up by your ears.

Anyone know how that exploding things is spreading?

Salty :)

glimli
05-05-2005, 10:16
well over here the cane toads are a feral species, i think its illegls top try save them from dieing. they enjoy either eating or killing through their poison lots of native animals so the animal terrorist people arent able to kick up a stink about theri slaughter without looking stupid.

Jonathan =I=
05-05-2005, 21:07
Taking a nine Iron to a Cane Toad is just Australias version of the fox hunt.

Hey wait arnt Foxes a feral species here as well Hmmmm :cool: