PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the hellcannon

Mireadur
04-11-2008, 20:02
Ok guys, so after rereading the monsters and handlers ruling and some reply in this forum, do hellcannons...

- move through difficult terrain without penalties?
- Charge 12'' instead 6''?

Much thanks.

Gazak Blacktoof
04-11-2008, 22:29
They move as a unit of skirmishers so they ignore terrain penalties.

There's no allowance for ignoring the movement value of the slowest member of the unit so they will be limited to 3" of movement with a normal move and 6" on a charge or march because the dwarf crew are movement 3. The "charge distance" mentioned on p.67 is notifying you that all distances should be measured to-and-from the monster only.

Mireadur
05-11-2008, 04:57
Ahh yes thats what the sentence looked like to me (about the moving distance). Thanks Gazak.

However i was moving through diff terrain like a normal monster... I guess from now on i will start deploying the cannon closer to woods.

John Vaughan
05-11-2008, 05:03
Not a bad idea. The last thing an opponent will expect is a cannon to attack them of all things.

SolarHammer
05-11-2008, 05:25
I disagree entirely about charging.

When charging or being charged though, the handlers are completely ignored (as if they were not there) and the monster is the only model that matters. The monster's arc of sight and flank/rear are used to determine arc of sight for charges and the relative position of a charging enemy as well as any charge distance, psychological reaction and so on.

There's simply no way to interpret those two sentences like Gazak has suggested.

If the handlers are completely ignored (as if they were not there) then you can't be treating them as slowing down the monster's charge - they can only do that if they are there.

Braad
05-11-2008, 05:59
So... kill the handlers, and you got a 12" charge range. That should be a good sacrifice for Khorne.

SolarHammer
05-11-2008, 06:06
Don't bother killing them, because when it charges, the handlers are completely ignored...

DeathlessDraich
05-11-2008, 08:50
1 more comment:

It is possible for a single charger to flank charge the Hellcannon unlike other skirmishers.

knightime98
05-11-2008, 09:27
The new misfire chart on one of the results says that,
all wizards roll on the miscast chart???
Does that mean from both sides???
It doesn't say.. that would be vicious against skaven, high elves, or vampire counts!

Lord Malorne
05-11-2008, 09:38
The all part should suffice there ;).

BEEGfrog
05-11-2008, 11:37
The new misfire chart on one of the results says that,
all wizards roll on the miscast chart???
Does that mean from both sides???
It doesn't say.. that would be vicious against skaven, high elves, or vampire counts!

What about 2nd to 4th generation Slann that treat miscasts as just spell failures?

Atrahasis
05-11-2008, 11:42
When Slann suffer a miscast "no roll on the miscast table is taken". In other words suffering a miscast has no effect on them even if they aren't casting a spell.

Lord Malorne
05-11-2008, 11:42
But they are not miscasting...they are directly rolling on the table...even they can be surprised....it is chaos ;).

Atrahasis
05-11-2008, 11:48
The misfire result says "all wizards immediately suffer a miscast". The Slann rules say that they do not roll on the miscast table when they "suffer a miscast".

Lord Malorne
05-11-2008, 11:59
Ah so that is how it is worded...clever GW ;).

Mireadur
05-11-2008, 12:06
RAW i agree with you Solar, but i believe (as gazak) that the sentence makes reference to how the models are placed and moved in what comes to the charge and to measure distances from the cannon itself rather than a handler (since as you know rules for skirmishers have to keep in mind this).

But again, just from pure RAW, you'd be right.

EvC
05-11-2008, 12:08
I agree that the Hellcannon can charge 12"- just imagine the Chaos Dwarfs are almost left behind as the Daemonmachine rampages at its opponent. Of course being skirmishers this means the Dwarfs won't get to fight if it's charging more than 6" and so will have to rank up behind the Hellcannon, but that's not such a bad thing...