PDA

View Full Version : Tau or Space Marines?

Far Seer
06-11-2008, 09:44
Hi i'm just getting into warhammer and i havn't got an army yet and i'm wondering if someone could help me out. (i'm noob) Of all the races i've seen in 40k, i liked the look of the Tau Empire and Space marines. I'm wondering wat army to choose and i really can't decide, tau have good ranged firepower but lack in close combat, space marines are versatile in ranged and close combat.
And please recommend the sets i should get.
If possible is there a box set with space marines fighting against tau?
i've seen a box set called assault on black reach and it look's pretty cool, but problem is i don't really like orks

alphastealer
06-11-2008, 10:15
I would go for Tau if I were you. Marine players are like flies. There is always one around. Tau are a more focused army that require a little more finesse to use well. That being said they have the best guns in the game and their basic trooper can drop any infantry model at 30 range.

Marines now have too much stuff (thanks to the new dex) and unless you know what you are doing you will end up buying a whole lot of stuff you might never use. Tau have less model variety but are still very versatile in weapon loadouts and infantry vs mech.

Tau players get more respect and are generally nicer people. They also tend to have hotter girlfriends.

El'Flashman
06-11-2008, 10:40
Tau players get more respect and are generally nicer people. They also tend to have hotter girlfriends.

Lol... we wish. Going by Warseer Tau players are generally hated, but I've found a mostly positive reception to my own Tau army. TBH it's all a matter of taste as to which army you choose. You really ought to choose your army by how much it inspires you, as opposed to play mechanics. I have both Tau and Marines and I can tell you that I find a victory with Tau takes more finesse and is a hell of a lot more satisfying.

The best thing to do is go to the GW website and visit the army pages of both Tau and SM. Look at the models and read what little background they have on there. If you can find paper articles, such as in WD or the codices, then read them too. It might also be worth checking out the army specific web forums* just to get a feel for the communities surrounding both. Just try and get a feel for both armies and then decide which inspires you.

* www.advancedtautactica.com (Tau specific)
www.bolterandchainsword.com (SM specific)

SylverClaw
06-11-2008, 11:24
Most important thing to do - get the ones' you think look cooler. There is nothing more unpleasant than painting models you're not that keen on. For me, that is more important than any other factor.

Something to note... virtually no one on Warseer will ever tell you to go with Space Marines. There is some serious Marine hating here, so don't expect a balanced view. Sometimes, with good reason but that's another topic entirely.

However... Space Marines are certainly more forgiving. For a new player they aren't too stressful when you try to pull together a good army and you can almost play any way you want. They also have the widest model range, with many of the coolest looking models, and generally give you a good deal for your money. Even if you don't like Orks, if you don't have the main rule book yet the Assault on Black Reach set is great value for money for Space Marines.

Also, if you aren't too sure about your painting skills Space Marines are great. The models have a lot of big, flat areas and not too many fiddly details. They look good painted in bold, block colours, which will get you by until you learn more about shading and such. They are easy to paint and good for learning how to do more complex techniques on.

So, for a complete noob, Space Marines are pretty good.

On the other hand, Tau are a considerably more exciting army in my opinion. They will be harder to use right and rely on you learning their strengths and weaknesses, which is actually good practice - however, I have no doubt that might be a bit frustrating for new players. You might buy that niffy looking Etheral (I think they look niffy), for example, only to realise it's probably the worst character in the entire game.

In a similiar fashion, a new player starting Tau will be badly tempted to turtle forever. Having the best guns in the game might make you want to cower in the back corner of the board and never move an inch if you can help it - and against a lot of people it might work pretty well. But you're not learning anything and it's not that much fun to play over and over.

For my part, if you are super green then go SM. If you are feeling brave then go Tau, but for that one I'd definately recommend checking out the tactics forum and having a look at a few people's army lists. No doubt you'd pick up the gist of it pretty quick from those guys.

Darkstar2586
06-11-2008, 13:48
From a Tau and a Space marine player here is my one pence worth...

From a gaming perspective i wouldnt play Tau anymore, it just feels like a chore making sure they dont get assaulted and i dont have much fun with them anymore.

Space marines are good to get into, they are forgiving and allow for some variance from the list.

From a modeling stance, i love my Tau, they are very well designed models and are easy to paint to a good standard. where as you can personalise Space marines much easier by different stances and armour and the such.

It is a tough choice, and if you didnt have alot of money, id go for Space marines with the battle of black reach set, you get alot for your moneys worth and it comes with a rulebook and all other things you need to play the game with (with the exception of an opponent as they don't come as standard due to a large amount of returns due to some contents being too beardy)
You can always find someone to swap your orks with, there's always people looking to swap around here.

Sholto
06-11-2008, 13:50
If you go SM, then you can get Black Reach and just sell or swap the Orks for more Space Marines. There is always someone looking for more Orks.

And if you are a total noob (your own words!), I would go SM.

Sholto

Darkstar2586
06-11-2008, 13:53
Second thoughts i just realised i didnt do my trademark think when i posted my well thought out reply, it should have read this...

ELDAR

ShadowDeth
06-11-2008, 14:25
----PC advice----

I would honestly find a game shop, politely ask a Tau and a Marine player to let you sit in on the battle and ask a ton of questions.

Don't commit your money before you understand the rules of the game and perhaps have played a few yourself. This hobby is too expensive to not know what you're buying.

Beyond that, read up on the backstory, look at the model ranges and figure out what is the most aesthetically pleasing to your own sensibilities. Figure out what you would like to model, paint and look at A LOT of times (because you will be once you own them), and go for that army!

---My real advice----
It's a cop out to just say 'marines or 'Tau, but Tau can't lift a sword and marines are generic GW poster boys in power armor. For a quick and simple suggestion - I'd say go with Marines. As much as I hate them, they won't get boring as quick as Tau do. (Move, shoot, move, shoot, fall back, commit suicide etc...)

When you finally wise up, it will take minimal effort to convert them to chaos and begin spreading fiery destruction, hatred and lust across the galaxy.

Regards! Vote Slaanesh 2012'

Overt_Spy
06-11-2008, 16:59
Be like me, do both!

gojira316
06-11-2008, 17:03
If you're new to the game then go with Marines. Tau in 5th Edition are taking it on the chin at the moment because of the new assault rules. Marines are far more forgiving to play and you'll have more fun learning the game with them. I've played both Tau and Marines under 5th and Marines are doing much better than the Tau.

boogle
06-11-2008, 17:07
Pick the Army you like the look of and think your going to have the most hobby fun with (be it painting and/or gaming), and go from there, if it's Marines, then so be it, if it's Tau, then that's cool too, it's going to be YOUR army, so look to it as a long term project.

Othiem
06-11-2008, 19:03
If you do end up going with Tau, the Tau battleforce is one of the best ones out there. It contains a full legal army, and you will use all of the models in almost any force.

Starting out with some smaller games is good and all, but in sub 1000 point combat patrol games, Tau struggle. Tau units fail at almost any 1v1 encounter, which is what a lot of smaller games come down to. Where they excel is bringing tons of firepower down on specific units, thus slowly cutting away at the enemy. You need to play or watch a few games at 1250 points and higher to get a better feeling for how the Tau fight.

Despite the amount of hate Tau get on this forum, most of the people I've played against seem to enjoy going up against them as opposed to yet another MEQ army. So long as you don't mind a purely mobile shooting army with zero close combat options, Tau are tons of fun.

But as others have said, the most important thing is do you like the army.

If you do choose to go Tau and want a bigger force, start out with 2 battleforce boxes, a hammerhead, and a battlesuit commander.

JLBeady
06-11-2008, 19:04
SM's or Tau?

SM's. Why? The combination of being a new player, GW's focus on SM's, the new codex, the AoBR box set, good availability and value, and easier to paint. They also can be competitive and the variety of play styles is endless (Gun line, CC, Fast Moving)

I like Tau. The models appeal to me, but as other posters have said, they do take some more finesse and though 5th Ed has opened some interesting possibilities to using Kroot more, they still seem to be one dimensional which make's playing against them predictable and repetitive. They are also wanting compared to the SMís because of the 3rd ed codex. Bottom line there is more of a chance of getting bored with Tau than SM's.

Now go buy AoBR ($60 US) and a battle force box set ($90) to get a decent playable force. Between both you will have 4 troop choices, 1 with a dedicated transport and the option to split the 2 tac sqds into combat sqds, 1 HQ, 2 Elites, and 1 Fast Attack.

Rutteger1
07-11-2008, 00:47
totally depends. Id say SMs, cuz theyre just awesome, and maybe cheaper...
you can slowly build a tau army once you're more "into" the game.

garth40k
07-11-2008, 03:29
ive recently got back into 40k and was considering doing SM or Tau. Like other have said you need to think which one looks coolest to you and which you think you'd have more fun with.

Tau are a very tactical army. yeah they have all the big guns but against players with experience it wont take long for them to rip you up in close combat. personally i think that isnt such a bad thing. it would make you think more like a commander of an army and constantly be testing your tactics and army lists. (not that SM wouldnt do this.)

SM are pretty good at all aspects of the game. cant knock em really. they are great to learn the rules and practice your painting on, even if you dont want to do a full SM force. AoBR would be the best way to go really.

i know i prob didnt help at all lol but thts my bit haha

Garth.

Far Seer
07-11-2008, 03:59
Thanks guys, you really helped me. i'll buy assault on black reach for christmas, swap the orks for some more marines and i'll buy two tau battleforce sets next year. I'm collecting both armies. But personally i think i prefer tau.

march10k
07-11-2008, 09:43
Be like me, do both!

And me :D

Truth is, tau are much harder to play, so if this is your first army, SM are going to win more games.

ShadowDeth
07-11-2008, 19:31
Thanks guys, you really helped me. i'll buy assault on black reach for christmas, swap the orks for some more marines and i'll buy two tau battleforce sets next year. I'm collecting both armies. But personally i think i prefer tau.

Good luck!

Do you have a chapter in mind, or just dudes in power armor?

vinush
07-11-2008, 22:07
But winning isn't the be all and end all of it. You're in the hobby to have fun.

I like the look of Tau and the ease of collecting SM, ultimately though, I don't have fun playing either of them.

That's why I went guard.

\/ince

Firaxin
08-11-2008, 02:04
That was weird... no tau hate spam.

Most people on warseer would agree (or they would've a month or two ago) that tau, or tau players, are far more irritating than Space Marines.

El'Flashman
08-11-2008, 06:21
Most people on warseer would agree (or they would've a month or two ago) that tau, or tau players, are far more irritating than Space Marines.

I take umbrage (umbrage I say!) at that comment Sir. Tau and by extension all good Tau players are only irritating due to their play mechanics and the fact that they always need to avoid combat. Once you come to terms with this then you may enjoy the more dynamic play style they have to offer. After all, who wants to play against another static gun line?

Not me that's for sure.

Epicenter
08-11-2008, 06:33
A more tongue-in-cheek answer would be, would you rather play one army or two eventually?

It's sort of a rule amongst 40k players that everyone eventually makes an army of Marines, either to switch to or as a secondary army to fool around with when they don't feel like playing their main army (often this "second army" of Marines becomes the primary when said player discovers how much better 40k works when they play the army the rules were written around).

Far Seer
08-11-2008, 06:38
I'm wondering if there was a chapter box set where there are a bunch of space marines fighting tau?

alex03
08-11-2008, 07:42
Really, its the tau background that I truely dislike, not the players or the army.

I would have prefered that GW just state that the tau empire has always been there, and is small and that the Imperium has had minor skirmishes with them up to now. Then they could say that the tau waited for the imperium to be sufficently weakened for them to decide to start expanding. Would have made more sense than sprang up from norwhere in a warpstorm and have super advanced tech in like no time, not to mention do the tau really have the population base to actually need to expand? If they had 4 core worlds they could at most colonize a few new ones before running out of pilgrims.

But anyway Im a marine player. I would say start with marines for the simple fact you will have less models to assemble and paint to get your force up and running. It will also cost you less. If you truely love the game then expand like it seems everyone else does. Ive started chaos and orks, for instance.

march10k
08-11-2008, 08:50
That was weird... no tau hate spam.

I think it depends on how you define "tau player". If it's that annoying thirteen year old who thinks 40k is some kind of table top Neon Genesis Evangelion, can't be bothered to read the BBB or own a codex, and shows every sign of needing his ritalin dose upped, yeah, that's aggravating. If the definition of "tau player" includes people (ahem, c'est moi) with half a dozen armies that happen to include tau, then no.

Nastra
08-11-2008, 08:51
I'm wondering if there was a chapter box set where there are a bunch of space marines fighting tau?

That'd be a negative.

Shas'o Zor'bas
08-11-2008, 09:02
Good Choice. Marines are a great army to start with. The bad thing with them is that 60% of 40k players has a marine army.

But Tau are better (personal opinion) if you are a bit more familliar with the game (and yes we have beautiful girlfriends ;) )

Far Seer
08-11-2008, 10:23
Wow... i'm going with assault on black reach and tau battleforce, but anyone have any better ideas? And what cheap, good looking scenery should i get?

Norsehawk
08-11-2008, 10:37
no, be like me!

Do Tau, Marines, Imperial Guard, Necrons, Tyranids, Chaos Space Marines, Chaos Daemons, Eldar, Daemonhunters, Witch Hunters, More Marines, and Orks!

Sidstyler
08-11-2008, 10:40
Good Choice. Marines are a great army to start with. The bad thing with them is that 60% of 40k players has a marine army.

But Tau are better (personal opinion) if you are a bit more familliar with the game (and yes we have beautiful girlfriends ;) )

The other downside to Marines is, since they are so damn popular, a lot of people will usually have lists tailored to beat them.

Firaxin
08-11-2008, 17:19
I think it depends on how you define "tau player". If it's that annoying thirteen year old who thinks 40k is some kind of table top Neon Genesis Evangelion, can't be bothered to read the BBB or own a codex, and shows every sign of needing his ritalin dose upped, yeah, that's aggravating. If the definition of "tau player" includes people (ahem, c'est moi) with half a dozen armies that happen to include tau, then no.
Very true.
Unfortunate as it is, Tau are the new "new kid's army," in my experience...

The other downside to Marines is, since they are so damn popular, a lot of people will usually have lists tailored to beat them.
Not necessarily. I tailor my lists to fight Tau because they're so popular 'round my parts. That's how I started playing a CC based Guard army, actually.

alex03
08-11-2008, 17:39
Wow... i'm going with assault on black reach and tau battleforce, but anyone have any better ideas? And what cheap, good looking scenery should i get?

Well, go get lots of green felt and cut it out into shapes to represent forests. Then go to walmart and pick up some of their "holiday" pine tree's. They have some ok one that are a buck a piece that I like, they used to have some really nice and 2-3 dollar large trees that had a white base that you can easily paint to brown. Thats the cheapest and easiest way to get some early terrain.

If you can find some intersting looking styrafom pieces you can cut and shape into buildings and walls. Base them on something solid and paint them up grey.

You can get some flat styrofoam or whatever that pink insulation foam is and cut out hill shapes, paint green. If you want to be really good about it go buy some flock and flock them with glue after painting green. Then repaint greens.

Far Seer
08-11-2008, 21:57
thx should i get a tau commander as well? how much is a hammerhead in aus dollars?

Othiem
08-11-2008, 22:51
thx should i get a tau commander as well? how much is a hammerhead in aus dollars?

Depends how you want to gear out your commander. A commander model kit is the exact same as a normal crisis suit kit, but it comes with some extra metal bits for the commander only options, and some different looking metal heads. The commander only wargear is interesting, but not a must take. With a special paint job and gluing a few spikey bits to a normal crisis suit's head, you can have a commander. That being said, I think it's worth the extra few bucks to pickup the better heads and the other options.

Blood Angelz
09-11-2008, 02:57
personally try a small group of space marines play a bit to figure out what you like to play me my self i like ranged and melee so there a good army for me personally i'm better with melee i beat my ork friend with melee :D LOLZ but yea. Yay for 3+ armor save

Sidstyler
09-11-2008, 03:04
Very true.
Unfortunate as it is, Tau are the new "new kid's army," in my experience...

Not necessarily. I tailor my lists to fight Tau because they're so popular 'round my parts. That's how I started playing a CC based Guard army, actually.

Well, everyone's experiences will be different I guess.

As for the latter, depends on the metagame then and whichever army is most popular, but more often than not it will be Marines. Every area will be different.

Dictator
09-11-2008, 03:11
Tau. Be different.

Far Seer
10-11-2008, 04:40
is the xv8 battlesuit in the tau battleforce a tau commander IN a xv8?

vinush
10-11-2008, 05:42
It can be, or it can just be a regular XV8 batlesuited warrior.

\/ince

Far Seer
11-11-2008, 04:29
I"m getting assault on black reach, and some people on this thread told me that i should swap my orks for some space marines(coz i don't like orks);) and can anyone recommend wat space marine units i should swap for my assault on black reach orks(i'm gonna swap all my orks) and if the person who's receiving the orks would want to make the deal.

Lisiecki
11-11-2008, 04:38
I take umbrage (umbrage I say!) at that comment Sir. Tau and by extension all good Tau players are only irritating due to their play mechanics and the fact that they always need to avoid combat.

There also irritating do to the fact they some how think that the Tau are some how benevolent and all loving, and that "The greater good" is actually, in fact, Good.
And that there "acceptance of other races" isn't in fact, "submit or die"

march10k
11-11-2008, 08:09
as opposed to "just die already would you? I really need a snack, and your soul looks tasty!"

I'd say "submit or die" is relatively good... ;)

Far Seer
12-11-2008, 08:38
Fine, i like eldar and wondering if they are a good race. if so, i'm wondering if i buy assault on black reach and just take the rulebook and the measuring sticks, and swap the rest of them for an eldar battleforce.

Norsehawk
12-11-2008, 10:13
Fine, i like eldar and wondering if they are a good race. if so, i'm wondering if i buy assault on black reach and just take the rulebook and the measuring sticks, and swap the rest of them for an eldar battleforce.

You are unlikely able to trade part of a $60 set for a whole $90 set, unless you are a very smooth talker.

Luisjoey
12-11-2008, 13:43
if you like to play no matter if win or lose play TAU

if you cant handle well lose plays space marine or chaos nurgle.

Johnnyfrej
12-11-2008, 16:31
Since you are going with the Tau or SM, whatever army you choose do something different with it. Don't do something that somebody will look at and sigh because they've had to play against that same list a hundred times.

Take SM for example. Most commonly it will be mechinized with lots of Las/Plas spamming. Instead, go with an all-infiltrating (Raven Guard-ish) all-infantry SM list. Instead of Las/Plas go Melta/Multi-Melta.

onermedboxer
12-11-2008, 21:05
not much more must be said

Eldoriath
12-11-2008, 21:56
Tau is a fun and rewarding army to play. I would say that getting a solid block of both firewarriors and kroots is a good way to go. I run with 24 firewarriors and 10 kroots atm, but would like to play with perhaps up to 30 kroots (i usually play at 2000p). Devilfishes are also important, these can protect heavily reduced squads that can still capture objectives.

Your HQ is shooty, so keep him cheap and simple. The fireknife config (plasma rifle, missile pod and multi-tracker) is a good config on him for most army types, get a shas'el and give him a targeting array and target lock and then put him with some firewarriors to make a solid firebase.

Firewarriors are good at range, but put them in cover since heavy bolters will eat through them in zero.

Kroots are quite versatile actually. I play mine with just a shaper since i want them to hold back and shoot most, and perhaps some games outflank and assault some weak/shooty unit, like devestators or some guardsmen. Put some hounds with them if you want them to be a bit more CC, but never bother with giving them armor. a 6+ save is not worth for 1p in statistics, better get more kroots. Try to put them in forests, this way the enemy might have to put a lot of firepower to outroot them, or get into assault range. Just try to go to ground with them every time they recieve some heavy incoming fire.

Crisis suit, your way to special weapons. Preferred configs are many, and fireknife is very versatile. A really jack of all trades but master of none setup. Moderately good at Anti-MEQ, Anti-horde, Anti-tank (light and medium). Deepstrike them in the behind of tanks for more AT capability. I would try to take a team leader with a targeting array and 2 shield drones if you run the fireknife.
Otherwise is the deathrain (twin-linked missile pod with either flamer, targeting array or black-suin filter) quite good and popular. Moderately good for anti-horde duty, poor at anti-MEQ, but excellent anti-tank (light and medium), especially with the targeting array. It will bring up the cost, but increase accuracy very much.

Stealthsuits are my favorites. Just run a team of 6 bog standard, no upgrades should be given. I have started running my team with a teamleader with a target-lock, fusion blaster and marker-light. This gives him the ability to always contribute to the army. Either with the fusion blaster or the marker-light.

Piranhas is a unit that can perform AT duty quite well actually. Slap on a fusion blaster, targeting array, disruption pod and perhaps decoy launchers and your set. But beware, they are quite fragile in the end.

Pathfinders... I use this unit just to get a devilfish to outflank, i slap on two seekers on the devilfish and then try to use them on rear armor. Mixed success, they might be replaced with just more kroots in the future since i havent got it to work all that well yet.

Vespids, dont bother.

Gun drones, they are good as long you dont play annihilation. Team of four drones is enough to cause annoyance, deepstrike them behind vehicles preferabely. The enemy must take care of them and cant leave them unbothered.

Hammerheads, no matter which weapons you take they are good. Just take multi-tracker, disruption pods and target lock on them and they are set.

Broadsides, i use them in a team of two, one teamleader with target lock and 2 shield drones, both take advanced stabilisation system.

Sniper drones, fun to use, but they compete slots against hammerheads and broadsides.

In games at 1000p i would recomend the broadside team over a hammerhead with railgun, more accuracy and more shots for about the same points. Also one devilfish is good to have, and perhaps a hammerhead as well or another devilfish. Crisis and stealths are not necessarily needed at this point level, but taking two fireknife shas'els hidden in firewarrior teams might be more worth it. For objective holding i suggest taking at least three troop choices.

At 1500p... Flesh out with just about what you feel is needed, probably more AT is needed, and some anti-MEQ and anti-horde ability.

Starchild
13-11-2008, 02:23

Eldar are the best. :cool:

There's no need to buy an entire Black Reach set. You can buy individual small rule books at Apocabitznow.com.

If you go with Eldar, be prepared for a long term investment. (There has to be a downside to everything... so saith the chaos god Murphy and his evil laws!) Eventually you'll want at least one of every unit to stay competitive in your games. The Eldar battleforce is a good deal, but it doesn't contain everything you need.

A good starting force for Eldar would be:
-Dire Avengers
-Guardians w/ Warlock
-Wraithlord
-Falcon with 6 Fire Dragons
-Wave Serpent carrying Howling Banshees (or put 6 Banshees in the Falcon)
-Farseer + Autarch
-2 Fire Prisms
-add other units to taste, and mix well

Kalec
13-11-2008, 04:01
Tau works best in 1500 games. They can fit in their HQ, all their crisis suits, their hammerheads, and a good number of fire warriors in devilfish. In 2K, they start to suffer as they run out of heavy weapon options, since all thats left is the piranha.

Marines, especially under the new dex, get much better at 2K and above, because they have the points to really take advantage of the new chapter tactics. Lots of land raiders, fleeting termies with Shrike, a bunch of drop podding dreads with allied SoB's led by Vulkan, or a force led by Pedro that can fit in something besides 3 sternguard units.

Eldar are amazing in any size of game, with the tools for any job for relatively low prices.

Far Seer
13-11-2008, 04:15
So i won't choose space marines. i'll buy tau battleforce and eldar(although people have said eldar are a really hard race to start) except the paint is so expensive!!!!6 AUS dollars per colour.(Note:i use AUS no US)

Far Seer
14-11-2008, 05:20
And i looked at the contents of the tau battleforce... i looked at a few random sites like scrapdragon.com.au(is it trustworthy) and they each had a slight difference to the units... i mean the scrapdragon one, they have - 1 x Tau Crisis XV8 Battlesuit

- 1 x Tau Devilfish

- 3 x Tau XV25 Stealth Armour

- 7 x Tau Gun Drones

- 12 x Tau Fire Warriors

- 12 Kroot Carnivore.
and i went into Games Workshop and checked the contents of tau battleforce(on the box) and it said
1 tau devilfish
3 tau xv25 stealth suits
7 tau gun drones
12 firewarriors
12 kroot carnivores
and 1 pathfinder.
Can anyone tell me what is wrong.

vinush
14-11-2008, 05:42
From the UK GW website:

Contents:
1 Tau Crisis XV8 Battlesuit (includes 1 multi-part plastic Tau Crisis XV8 Battlesuit and 2 Gun Drones),
1 Tau Devilfish APC (includes 1 multi-part plastic Tau Devilfish APC and 2 Gun Drones),
3 Tau Crisis XV25 Stealth Suits (includes 3 multi-part plastic Tau XV25 Stealth Suits and 1 Markerlight Drone),
12 Tau Fire Warriors (includes 12 multi-part plastic Tau Fire Warriors and 2 Gun Drones)
12 Kroot Carnivores.

\/ince

Grimmeth
14-11-2008, 15:06
As others have said, Tau can be a very destructive force in 5th, but they're very hard to use well - A lot of mobility and a fair bit of thinking ahead are key - and my brother, who was quite an avid fan of Tau, has given up on themr ecently because, against a melee heavy army (Orks) they really can struggle.
If you want a challenge then, by all means, give the fish a go - but Marines are a lot 'safer' at the moment.

Far Seer
15-11-2008, 05:28
hmm... i'll rethink buying assault on black reach... i mean i don't really have a passion for the space marines, and i'm more on the tau side... and it's confusing me, i mean if i buy black reach and swap my orks for more spacemarines, i'll have a space marine army which i'm pretty safe with. but if i buy tau their tactics are much harder to start off with for noobs like me.

Starchild
15-11-2008, 06:04
but if i buy tau their tactics are much harder to start off with for noobs like me.

I wouldn't worry about it. There's a bit of learning curve, sure, but if you're in for the long haul, go with the army you really want (TAU).

Just remember: Mobile firepower, Concentration of firepower. Pick one target, and focus on it until it's annihilated; then, move on to the next target; rinse & repeat. :evilgrin:

Far Seer
05-12-2008, 04:36
Well i thought about it and i decided that i should buy tau battleforce first and just paint them and not use them and i'll start playing with black reach, so when i become better and more tactical i'll start playing tau. but i'm wondering if i should get black reach paint set, i mean it has 5 tactical squad members and six paints. But the paints are not really the paints i'm looking for, i mean my SM will be Ultramarines so i need ultramarines blue for one thing...

garth40k
05-12-2008, 12:13
well if you want the models then buy the paint set plus a pot of ultramarines blue. Best of both worlds. Plus you never know when those paints you don't want now will come in handy for painting detail or painting another army in the future.

Orca
05-12-2008, 16:55

For quick and easy scenery, I've found that nothing beats the cardboard or plastic packing materials that surround consumer electronics. They make great bases for ruined structures, bunkers, and hab blocks. A bit of paint, some styrofoam insulation board for hills and you're good to go. You can come back and do trees/etc once you've got the army done and a feel for modeling and painting.

victorpofa
06-12-2008, 01:40
As others have mentioned choose the army you like the look of since you will be painting them for a while. Also, look into alternate brand paints. I use mostly Vallejo with some Reaper and Foundation paints thrown in.

Also, check out the Army Painter blue Primer if available where you live. It may save you a lot of time with your Ultramarines.

Far Seer
06-12-2008, 05:12
I reckon i should get the paint set. I'm trying to swap my orks for some more space marines, but is there like a trusted website around that anyone has tried?

lantzkev
19-02-2009, 17:21
ideally what'll happen with black reach is you'll get another set of the black reach marines... it's about as even as it can get. Most ork players that want to swap marines won't have marines other than that. You can ask, but that's the most I'd expect.

As to buying the tau battleforce but playing marines, bah! Play em both! If you're playing some casual games subsitute some of those marines you got as "tau battle suits" and/or in your marine games the hammer head as a space marine tank. Get a feel for playing both! The more finesse and other stuff is not accurate, you just actually need to think about your list you create more, but beyond that the situation demands what you do for the most part.

Firaxin
19-02-2009, 17:49
3 months man...

Chaplain Dionitas
19-02-2009, 18:20
So i won't choose space marines. i'll buy tau battleforce and eldar(although people have said eldar are a really hard race to start) except the paint is so expensive!!!!6 AUS dollars per colour.(Note:i use AUS no US)

Good call. Don't play Space Marines. You'll get stereotyped as a ***** and a dullard as well as a "Fanboi". You'll also receive a scarlet SM in the mail that you'll have to wear on all of your clothes.

Laser guided fanatic
19-02-2009, 18:24
Good call. Don't play Space Marines. You'll get stereotyped as a ***** and a dullard as well as a "Fanboi". You'll also receive a scarlet SM in the mail that you'll have to wear on all of your clothes.

Says the man with space marine refrences in his name and avatar. Seriously SM are a great army don't put people off it by preaching urban myths.

lantzkev
19-02-2009, 18:24
With the Eldar, make sure you get a transport for the Harlequins.... or at least that guy that makes them hard/impossible to be shot at more than 18inches away!

Lord Raneus
19-02-2009, 18:52

Well, Tau can carry a stigmatism of "fanboism" around with it too...:p
Nice reference too.

Both SM and Tau are cool armies with unique aspects, so you really can't go wrong. In my opinion though Marines are better (unless you want a really cool mechanized army) simply because you have such an astounding proliferation of options at your fingertips.