PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Ogre build

Ophidian
07-11-2008, 12:26
[I know there's not really 'an' answer to this question, it's very situational, however:]

In general, what do you reckon would be a better armament for DOs versus an army with non-elite but numerous infantry and decently armoured troops like knights - Empire, Orcs, VCs etc - AHW or GW?

Both have advantages and disadvantages, but are you giving up too much in the way of opportunity to massacre the infantry for the chance to liquefy the knights? (should you encounter them)

Avian
07-11-2008, 12:32
Well, one setup is best against non-elite but numerous infantry and the other is best against decently armoured troops like knights, so whichever you choose will depend on what you expect to face most of.

Personally I reckon that if you take Dragon Ogres it is because you want S7 attacks, which you can't easily get any other way, so great weapons all the way for me.

Briohmar
07-11-2008, 13:02
My Converted DO's were built with great weapons, since I don't want to hack up any more plastic coldones, I go with what I have. Think about the purpose for having them in your army. If you want many attacks, Knights of Khorne are as good or better for hacking up infantry (5 attacks each 3 at S5 and 2 at S4, 1+ AS) for 15 points less. Granted, its less wounds but the AS makes up for it. The DO's are heavy hitters, and should be oriented towards taking out knights, chariots, and monsters, which makes their attacks with GW much more effective. Think about 4 DO's charging a Stank with GW's. After one round of combat, the STank won't generate any more steam points, and the second round, it would be gone. Chariots die instantly as well, and most knights will be saving on a 6+ against them.

The Red Scourge
07-11-2008, 13:31
Absolutely no reason to pit DOs vs. horde infantry unless its a horde of canned Chaos Warriors ;)

I'd never consider fielding them with anything else but great weapons. A steady source of S7 attacks is nothing to sneeze at. Its gold versus 1+ AS, T6 and/or chariots.

For mowing down ordinairy T3 hordes you only need S5 and (frenzied) knights, will deliver more attacks per milimeter than the DOs.

Vs. a standard 100 mm wide infantry block you will get the following amount of attacks:

4 DOs add hand weapon = 16 S5 attacks.

6 CKs = 12 S5/6 + 6 S4 attacks.

6 Frenzied CKs = 18 S5/6 + 12 S4 attacks.

Not to mention that DOs only have WS4 vs CKs WS5, and that a cannon shot will hurt a DO units damage potential a lot more than the knights.

MarcoPollo
07-11-2008, 16:44
When I purchased my DO, I bought two with hw, and one with GW. So my unit is a mix. I have never used the hw as an option, and I use DO for two reasons.

1) Ogre class models that can hit a st7 and
2)have a movement of 7 (use 3d6) to chase.

I like having a unit that keeps chariots/armor away from a flank. I have plenty of other units that can hurt small horde type units. But very few that are can openers.

Kalec
07-11-2008, 23:52
Great weapons, always. Chaos has more efficient choices for tearing through the weaker targets that the adhw is better against.

*SQUEE*
08-11-2008, 11:44
I always go with Great Weapons on mine. The strength 7 is way too fun to pass on. Plus with an initiative of 2 it is no loss in that respect as they will be striking last most times anyways.

Amorphous
09-11-2008, 00:18
I always go with Great Weapons on mine. The strength 7 is way too fun to pass on. Plus with an initiative of 2 it is no loss in that respect as they will be striking last most times anyways.
I concur, with the pathetic Initiative I always go the great weapon route, and if your opponant has chariots try and lign up your great weapon dragon ogres with them. The strength 7 turns those chariots to kindling.:skull:

Braad
09-11-2008, 07:47
Yeah, I think I would go with great weapons to. Indeed chaos have plenty to chop up infantry, and I think ogres armed with great weapons still can do that job, but also take out cavalry. Combined with the high movement, I think GW will work best.

Also, in my experience the most important phase in any combat is the first one, so the strikes last thing is not that important.

Dairym
09-11-2008, 11:06
Even if you give the infantry a light armour and shield, toughness 3 (a clanrat, say), the extra hand weapons give you 4/3 more attacks, multiplied by 5/6 that aren't saved, which gives you a tiny edge of 10/9 on average against great weapons.

The only real downside to great weapons is where combat goes to round two. Against something like a bone giant or a block of saurus, going last could sting in that situation.